The Big Picture: The Collar

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I first thought this was going to be a weird rant about a tie on a bear. Instead my mind has been thoroughly blown over how important that tie was on that bear. Kudos Bob.

For the first time I am legitimately excited for the next episode... Johnny Quest and Space Ghost!

very very enlightening episode! thanks, bob! def one of ur good ones!

I saw the homepage and thought "This Big Picture will go nowhere."

But when you started mentioning the animation process, I actually got excited. Because once again, you managed to do a Big Picture that interested me more than I thought it would.

TWEWER:
I don't really regard Gundam and Voltron as "early anime".

Isn't gundam and voltron japanese animation and one of the more older franchises no less? What do you consider early anime huh?

Awesome episode as usual. I especially liked that little bit right before the end credits. "Oh right, I totally have that. Cool." Although I believe the word you were looking for was "bitchin'".

Makes me wonder how hanna-barbara cartoons would still look as a whole if they were still big today.

Once again, bob has proved that no matter how much i research into a matter like this, he'll always pull out more information that i could even fathom existing. Still, it's a good episode anyways.

also, pretty sure i used Fathom wrong.

My mind is so blown right now.

The neck tie is still relevant in modern gaming. Just check out Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

I was actually expecting bold white letters to flash at the bottom of the screen at the end reading "EPIC FORESHADOWING"

Extremely interesting bob. Those old animators were really clever, working with tight resources, deadlines and spiralling costs..... hey, do you think we'll start seeing this sort of cost-cutting ingenuity in other mediums suffering from bloated costs? You know what I'm talking about.

Reused animations?
Ports?
Re-used music?
Re-used environments?

Video games are starting to go down this dark path. I can think of numerous "collar" like devices used in Dragon Age II (I stress that I enjoyed DAII, but you can't overlook the cost-cutting, time saving measures that game used).

Well, it defies the godlen rules of good character animation worded out by the 9 old men from disney many years ago, which are still taught to this day, but it follows another rule of thumb concernign animation very well: cheat whenever possible.

I guess if the audience is small kids, they won't really care about such things, and therefor it is a great place to save time, and thereby money.

Amazing. I am very impressed with how they came up with animating the head while keeping things to come in quicker on due time- giving Yogi a collar. Nice, I am indeed thrilled about animation's history (I love art, what can I say?)

Well said Bob, you really nailed the point with this one. That will probably help me out as well with my future career when I do animations. But, maybe for next week's episode you can tell us about the history of Pixar? I always was curious about that.

Nice history lesson on "Limited Animation", Bob.
It's rather ironic how the industry had to downgrade from feature-cartoons to limited animation as time went on; history repeated itself when anime became popular in the West.

Economics trumped quality.

I just happen to have learnt this a few days ago listening to the Stuff you should know podcast. They even mentioned Clutch Cargo. What are the odds.

My first experience with Syncro-vox was a spoof of it on The Simpsons. Had no idea what it was back when I first saw it. Then came Pulp Fiction and Robot Chicken and I still had no idea.
Now, thanks to Bob, I do. Also, I didn't know it was William and Joe who INVENTED Tom and Jerry, so therefore by association, a killer template for cartoon violence.

It's pretty amazing how a premise so simple (Why DOES he have a collar?) can have such a mind-blowing follow-through.

Also,on 4:49, is Top Cat hitting on Penelope Pitstop?!

Ymbirtt:
Heh, it's a good thing nobody does this any more. I mean, can you imagine how distracting it would be if you suddenly realised that none of the characters in one your favourite games had necks attached to their heads?

Yeah. My mum ruined Mass Effect for me when she pointed that out...

Ah, texture seams. Once you see it, you can't unsee it, and therefore, you hide it.

Depending on the model, the head might not be attached to the body and you have to hide the missing/penetrating geometry or if it is attached, you still have to hide the texture seam.

I think the models in your examples are just hiding the texture seam, though I'd need the source model file to be sure.

OT: The comics/hollywood stuff was alright but this is more in my field of interest. I'm really looking forward to the next show.

Maaaan, you're from new england. 'Drawring.'

Also, that was a neat thing to find about. So is the fact that robots are just easier to animate.

Typical Animation vs real live!

If I walked down the street with nothing on but a collar & tie, then attempted to steal food from people in park, people would be less than approving!! (damn double standards)

Wow, i'm an animation student and i never knew that. Thanks Bob!

Swifteye:
Isn't gundam and voltron japanese animation and one of the more older franchises no less? What do you consider early anime huh?

He started out by showing Gigantor, which was made in the early 60's, and Mazinger Z, which was made later in the early 70's. The original Mobile Suit Gundam came out in the later 70's and Voltron came even later. Those two anime came out much later, comparably speaking.

Now I know why the quality of the Tom and Jerry shorts declined so much in the 60s when compared to the 40s and 50s (besides the fact Hanna and Barbera weren't making them anymore).

This was the most interesting thing I've ever seen on this show which recently covered one century's worth of movie history.

While I have noticed the things like repeating backgrounds, I never noticed the issue with the heads. That's both interesting and amazing that they came up with such an innovative and simple solution.

Good show, Bob!
What's on the schedule for next week? Jabberjaw? Hong Kong Fuey?

Ymbirtt:
Heh, it's a good thing nobody does this any more. I mean, can you imagine how distracting it would be if you suddenly realised that none of the characters in one your favourite games had necks attached to their heads?

Yeah. My mum ruined Mass Effect for me when she pointed that out...

That's what I was going to say, but since you beat me to it, I guess I'll just add that it's MUCH easier to see when your texture quality is lower, because their torsos are all pixelated and their faces aren't.

Holy crap, Bob. Ho... ly... Crap.

You are the geek to end all geeks.

Preceded by means something cam first, followed by is what you're aiming for there I think... either that or I missed the point of that block.

And this, Mr. Bob, is why you have two shows.

At first I was like "ugh, this is gonna be a stinker". Then... I was pleasantly surprised. Good work as always Bob.

Bob...it's taken a while, but I'm warming up to you. This was damn interesting. You had my rapt attention, and not just because I still (at 24 years old as of last week) love many of those old cartoons.

Pretty awesome, Bob.

but in the 90s Hanna-Barbara cut the funding for a great show the "swat kats" which only last 1 1/2 seasons and forced on Johnny Quest instead.

Well this completely blew my mind. After watching this video I told everyone I know about it... and nobody seemed to share my enthusiasm.

ForgottenPr0digy:
but in the 90s Hanna-Barbara cut the funding for a great show the "swat kats" which only last 1 1/2 seasons and forced on Johnny Quest instead.

I miss Swat Kats. Twas an awesome show.

dex-dex:
I always like to know how things are made and knowing about the collar is awesome!
also I got something to tell people :D
The Lip thing is not that odd to me for some reason.

and now I know where the idea of the above cartoon comes from.

Ninja'd by the 1st comment! GODDAM! How funny is the commentary version with Mr. Incredible and Frozone talking about how bad it is!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here