Zero Punctuation: Rage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Cue the people asking why he didn't do Batman when it came out a day before this video...

Madara XIII:
UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

BROWN ALERT!!!

No clue what that's about, but...

Secondly those Jeans just scream Post-Apocalypse!
All patched up and ragged as if a mentally challenged and fingerless tailor had thrown them together in the last 10 minutes before shortly going out of business and being bought out by Old Navy :P

...this is true. Considering how much pretentious idiots pay for store-sold torn jeans, these trousers would probably cost around 800 $, though.

Skeleon:

Madara XIII:
UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

BROWN ALERT!!!

Secondly those Jeans just scream Post-Apocalypse!
All patched up and ragged as if a mentally challenged and fingerless tailor had thrown them together in the last 10 minutes before shortly going out of business and being bought out by Old Navy :P

...this is true. Considering how much pretentious idiots pay for store-sold torn jeans, these trousers would probably cost around 800 $, though.

I have never really considered buying torn jeans.
I want quality denim damn you! I prefer my pants with no holes in them other than the pockets and zipper!

I'm sure that I would like the game IF IT FUCKING WORKED FOR SHIT! id fucked up really bad with this.

Skeleon:

Madara XIII:
UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

BROWN ALERT!!!

Sorry, but Yahtzee and I have a disdain for the color brown and I agree that I get tired of seeing Shooters and Post Apocalypse focusing so much on the Color BROWN!!

We get it! It's a desolate, dirty and helpless color!
Ya know what else is brown? Something that rhymes with spit

Idk though, I just can't really get into the whole Mad Max vibe that games try and give

Hmmm, honestly I think there is a slightly more intense smell wafting from this review than usual.

Due to my playing of SWG addictively before it ends, I haven't been playing or finishing a lot of the games I've purchused (heck this is the usual state of affairs for me it seems), I did however give RAGE a shot since I'm a big post-apocolypic fanboy.

I wonder if Yahtzee even played the game because the very first thing that happens when your "yanked into a vehicle by a passing NPC" is that he talks about The Authority and how it's been hunting down those who awoke from the ARKS. The guys in the ARKS unlike what Yahtzee said, or Fallout, have been augemented into super soldiers, which explains why your character can do the FPS stuff, recover rapidly from injuries, and even revive from the dead. Your character has a substantial amount of implants. This is ALSO why awakening all of your characters buddies would bring doom to The Authority, since it would be like an army of versions of your character who have been wiping all of this stuff out knocking on their door (of course I haven't gotten that far).

Yahtzee talks about the lack of any real motivation involved in this game, but your given one from square one. The bad guys are trying to kill you on general principle as you represent a threat to them through your very existance.

As far as the name "The Authority" goes, I kind of thought they were trying to score some name recognition off the super hero team, especially looking at Wildstorm's post apocolyptic phase, even if there is no real connection thematically, but that could just be me.

What really gives this installment of ZP a bit of a reek though is that Yahtzee is praising the visuals for this game, which sounds a lot like the promotional release hype. By all accounts the game has been getting slammed due to problems with the visuals. especially on the PC (which is what I play, even though it's not terrible). I mean when "New Vegas" was released with 40 gajillion bugs that became a criticism, and really Rage is a giant- bug fest, that also has kind of failed to deliver in the visual department due to the problems that have been occuring even on consoles, the whole new engine that is supposed to render everything as one texture has delivered a lot of commentary, as have the lack of a lot of little details people expect in terms of supporting graphics and pop in. I know many people have commented on issues with proper shadows, and even their lack.

Hey, I'm probably wrong, but I almost suspect Yahtzee totally winged this one without actually having put in any time with the game. Either that, or he might even have been
paid to toss this one out there, sure it includes some insults and commentary, but it's not as biting as I'd expect his review of this game to be given all of it's reported problems, and really I see little indication from what he's actually said that he played this game.

Just a suspician, nothing I know for sure. It might just be an off week.

Kitsuna10060:

canadamus_prime:
And thus we've hit one the major problem with current generation games.

all flash and no substance? yeah ... i miss games about something to :/

Pretty much, yeah. When a game comes on more than one CD I would expect that each CD to be worth at least 6-10 hours of gameplay a piece. When a game comes one more than one DVD I'd expect that each DVD to be worth twice that. The ratios of course vary by genre, but if it comes on 3 DVD it better not be 3 DVDs worth of flashy pixels and not much else.

nvrmind

I might actually get this. The bad things mentioned don't look too bad and if there's one way to endear me to a game, it's looking nice and enemies reacting nicely to being shot.

Do not despair you glorious cynic, Saints Row The Third (am I the only one who hates that title) is just around the corner.

Rage isn't even that impressive on the technical side, so I really don't see any positives to get it.

canadamus_prime:

Kitsuna10060:

canadamus_prime:

Pretty much, yeah. When a game comes on more than one CD I would expect that each CD to be worth at least 6-10 hours of gameplay a piece. When a game comes one more than one DVD I'd expect that each DVD to be worth twice that. The ratios of course vary by genre, but if it comes on 3 DVD it better not be 3 DVDs worth of flashy pixels and not much else.

kinda ties to lazy design, lot easier to make a game 'pwetty *stary eyes*' then add any kinda depth, sadly :/. not even talking about plot depth, what about atmospheric depth, cause really, how many more 'post apocalyptic wast lands' do we REALLY need. but now I'm nit picking about something else entirely....

fanklok:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.

So wait, are you telling me that Bethesda spent a lot of time and moneydeveloping their own brand new game engine for Skyrim just so they could have a few nice-looking tech demos?

Have they come up with some insane, dastardly plan to suddenly and secretly transfer Skyrim over to id tech 5, bug test it, distribute it and release it in the space of 23 days? Are they on a quest to ruin themselves?

Call me crazy, but I don't think Skyrim is going to run on id tech 5. Because it's a cold hard fact that it isn't, unless Bethesda have all gone mad and decided to switch the game over at the last possible minute.

I swear Id only had to add one thing to make the story interesting: The hero awakens from his arc and discovers his daughter is not in her casket next to him, and the rest of the game has you befriending John Goodman like normal as you follow the clues of your daughter's disappearance through the wilderness while helping Goodman's character stabilize the region.

Then and only then do we get introduced to Steve Blum's resistance leader hardass with a gravel voice who sees the similarities between your character and a woman much younger he crossed pathes with at one time during a scuffle with the Authority, and the trail you once thought cold toward ever finding your daughter heats back up again as you and the Authority are now looking for her.

If Id ever makes a sequel, they could retcon that into the plot to explain away the hero's bland-non-personality with cryo-sleep amnesia and social anxiety brought on by neural degeneration eventually healing over time.

Instead we get pulp-action-b-movie plotting with no personality despite the fun I had. I redeemed my coupon for one haz of sad. :(

canadamus_prime:

Kitsuna10060:

canadamus_prime:

Christ, Oblivion was pretty good-looking, it came on three discs and contained at least ten times more content than most current-gen games. Say what you like about that particular game, atl east it represents some kind of halfway-sane resource management within games. Fuck, they could probably now re-create Morrowind in it's entirety using Oblivion-level tech and fit that on less than three discs.

I haven't got a single fucking clue what developers these days are thinking... a high-ranking member of MW3's dev team attempted to justify the existence of their ongoing series and explain that the games are differen and unique because, and this is what he said. they can make some shiny graphical improvements to the engine from one game to the next. I wish I could meet him, I'd bet him 1,000 that if he put graphical improvements and increased depth side by side, at least 70% of potential customers would pick the latter. Them's good odds.

Please do Red Orchestra 2 as well, Yahtzee. I would very much appreciate the verbal assassination.

'Funny how innovation in todays industry basicly means, catching up to Valve'
HAHAHAHAHA, nice.
That's charting for Yahtzee's best quotes.

SickBritKid:
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...

He mentioned it as a good example, IE PS1 games on 3 disks last forever but a next gen one lasts a weekend

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Rage

This week, Zero Punctuation gives some fashion advice for the post-apocalypse.

Watch Video

A little disappointed it's a review on another shooter, but other than that it was fine I guess. Surely there is something else out right now to play other than shooters even if it's some obscure indi game. I know some of you guys like shooters, and that's fine; there just not my cup of tea.

Dunno about finishing it in a weekend, I clocked something like 20 hours for my playthrough and I don't think I'd want to play that much Rage during one weekend.

I was kinda hoping for a game that's Borderlands but better (because I 100% agree with the ZP review on that game) but Rage is more of a straight shooter, no real loot to speak of.

JayDeth:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?

Did you happen to play Doom?

If you've made that post I'm going to have to assume that's a no. What a shame ;-;

shrekfan246:

OT: Funny stuff, though I was almost hoping he'd have tried the PC version on release so he could tear it a new one for the state it was released in. Guess he doesn't have a super-computer resembling the Monolith anymore.

Yeah, he said in the reviews for Two Worlds 2 and The Witcher 2 that he doesn't have a massive gaming computer now, he has to put most things on the lowest setting for them to run smoothly. Personally I don't even know why he tried Two Worlds 2 on the PC if he could play the console version and not have to worry about graphical settings.

People who whine about the PC version probably have Ati graphics cards. I've been avoiding them and their shitty drivers for about a decade now. The game's not very demanding on the hardware since it was so optimized for low end systems (consoles).

PoisonUnagi:

JayDeth:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?

Did you happen to play Doom?

If you've made that post I'm going to have to assume that's a no. Shame.

Or perhaps he played Doom 3 and knew that id is no longer a great developer.

Frostbite3789:
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.

Yeah, it's totally id's fault that ATI released the wrong drivers.

Jennacide:
Really Yahtzee, you're going to compare the lenght of a SHOOTER to an RPG? That's amazingly stupid, even for you. There are hints of RPG, but Rage is without a doubt an FPS, as you even point out as being part of Shooter Season 2011. So compare it to an older shooter. How long was Quake or Halo? Oh, that's right, sub 10 hours. How long is Rage? 12+ hours. Yeah, games sure are getting short these daaaay.....wait, THAT'S LONGER.

VulakAerr:

Urh:

Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...

You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.

Creation is not Gamebryo 2.0, it is a completely new engine. Which having actually seen the game in person now, is very apparent. Creation will likely be used for FO4 as well, though I sorta hope they use idTech 5 after they work the kinks out of it.

I'm afraid it's still based on the Gamebryo 2.0 engine. Just with many rewrites. According to Bethesda interviews, more rewrites the further they got into writing the game, but still was borne of Gamebryo 2.0

SEEMS LIKE id DIDn't do IT AGAIN!

Carmack is a self-centered programmer with a megalomania complex. He's good at programming, but he doesn't know jack shit about what makes a game tick on every other level.

Seriously, John, we get it, you're a good programmer. Get a freakin' life.

I'm simeltaneously (bad spelling) playing RAGE and Quake II on PC, and while RAGE is flat out beautiful and Quake II had things like this:
At least in Quake II I know what I'm trying to do, even if it is as simple as "Aliens with a fetish for mediocre prosthesis featuring lots of sharp things wiped out half of the human race, you're a marine, all your buddies got killed on the way in and you must singlehandedly shut down all of their nessecary machines and kill their leader." RAGE seems more intent on making you do stuff for people. However, it still has that occasional Id moment in which you've got enemies coming from all sides and a big freaking gun, and you only options are kill everything or die.

Al-Lou-Minium

Oh yahtzee, you card you.

World class engine programmers?
Something tells me Yahtzee has not even heard about the PC version...

JambalayaBob:

Frostbite3789:
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.

Yeah, it's totally id's fault that ATI released the wrong drivers.

Ohhhhh, that explains why plenty of people with nvidea cards also had problems.

id used drivers during testing that by their own admission had seen heavy internal modification. To release a game, without testing it on drivers that actually exist in the real world, that's horrid QA. That's releasing a broken game, shrugging your shoulders and going, "Eh, not my problem. They should have different drivers."

shrekfan246:

OT: Funny stuff, though I was almost hoping he'd have tried the PC version on release so he could tear it a new one for the state it was released in.

I've been asking for that for weeks!

OT: The most infuriating thing is that they took six fucking years to make what? Texture pop-ups.

Also, fake freedom.

KDR_11k:
People who whine about the PC version probably have Ati graphics cards.

Plenty of people with Nvidea cards had problems too, there champ. Also I didn't know complaining about a product that's broken is 'whining'. Christ, what's not whining?

"The game shot flames out of the case and caught my face on fire. I don't like this game very much."

"OMGSTFU QUIT WHINING!!11!!!"

Jennacide:

krazykidd:

OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.

This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.

How was he not thinking for himself? He said in the first sentence (you know, the sentence that comes before the second one) he wasn't even thinking of getting it to begin with.

This merely helped cement his decision.

Meh, it was the most fun that I've had with an FPS in a really long time. id Software's games have never, to me, really been much about making a lot of sense in the story, but rather just having some fun; Rage does that.

I also don't get why having three discs is such an issue. Sure, the game was pretty short--with a lot of distraction in the middle--but I don't get why it needs a mention. It didn't subtract from the game at all.

Also, the fact that Boarderlands and Fallout 3 were mentioned was pretty bland. I'm all for opinions, though. To each their own--I enjoyed Rage greatly.

Distorted Stu:
Im still in half a mind to buy this. Hell i loved Borderlands and Fallout.. but i think Rage may just be its bastard child..

I thought that too, but ended up buying it anyway. Don't bother. Yahtzee actually pretty much nailed every complaint I had about the game (I got it for PS3) and I wrote a review on it for my site, and the buddy I started the site with stopped playing the campaign after he read it.

It's OK at best, but it's not absolutely horrible. I suggest FO3 GOTY if you feel the urge to play in that setting. Also, be ready for a sequel. Either that or it's perhaps THE least conclusive ending I've ever seen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here