The Big Picture: Science!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

The problem with cultured meat is that it doesn't taste or feel like meat. Meat only gets its taste and texture because the creature has had stuff like breathing, blood flow, exercise etc etc. It's be more like meat pudding.

Also, you may have noticed that it needs lab equipment to be made. How the hell are the people in Africa going to get that? And even if we in the first world use it, it won't end up in the massive surplus for the rest due to corporate interests. (See the entirety of the diamond industry)

Finally, it's not going to result in happier cows. Those farm animals are bred to be eaten, that is literally their purpose in life, and they have pretty cushy lives right up until they're slaughtered. If millions of meat and fish farmers were suddenly told '"Yeah, we're not using them anymore, we're growing meat in labs now" you think they'd just shrug and let the animals free? Hell no! They'd just kill them all so they don't lose astronomical amounts of money feeding the (now useless) things, and most will still probably go out of business and lose their homes as their livelihood becomes redundant.

tl;dr You can't suddenly advance technology unless culture keeps up with it, even if you think it'd be a good idea. It's that sort of thinking that led to the horrendous loss of life in WW1, and is probably one of the reasons so many are sceptical of solar power today.

bob the second he gets a jet pack. "my shoes are on fire, i just lit my shoes on fire"

cookie if you know where its from

Bob as a science nerd I have answers to some of your questions. First, be patient. We're working on it. Second do more resurch yourself. Getting the stuff we need to make these things is difficult. This is a problem I see with a ton of more "liberal" people. You seem to know very little about the process behind things and just demand, often unresonable, results.

So, are you trying to go for being the Escapist's "Andy Rooney"

Dont jetpacks already exist?

Well I can assume the people who think genetic engineer fruits and vegetables are a abomination mention ages ago on The Big Picture will think growing meat from cells is also a abomination even when there no killing animal involves (what can I say they are narrow minded people).

Also lying won't do anything good either even when it's expose after you had died. The repercussions for lying will be great.

I think you simultaneously annoyed everyone on the planet with even a slight knowledge of science.

Nicolaus99:
No, Bob. That was not fun and you should not do it again.

1: MovieBob forgot to include the movie.
2: Back to including your liberal politics, on a website called "The Escapist". Irony fail.
3: I hope this episode was some kind of secret satire because otherwise it is a staggering display of ignorance and thoughtless mouth noise.

Google "Frankenfood". Good luck marketing THAT to people or convincing a grocery store to stock it. You think "Corn Sugar" creates a backlash? Wait till you wheel out the vat meat. Never mind the cost per pound to produce vat meat vs the same for real meat.

Here's an idea. Take your politics, put it on your jetpack, fly it to the moon with promises of gold, and leave it there.

KingPiccolOwned:
MUST HAVE HAMBEAR!!!!

Seriously though, I want the bear the size of a hamster.

Yay, for the we should not do something becuase it will initially be expensive and people will initially suspicious about it argument.

Fortunately it is an argument most is stupid, else we would not have half the stuff we now take for granted...

MB202:

Father Time:

MB202:
Also, about jetpacks, how are you going to solve the problem of having your pants and underpants burned off?

Not all Jetpacks need to shoot fire, just something that can provide lift.

How's that work?

It'll shoot out something at high speed and that will provide thrust (yeah I should've said thrust and not lift, sorry about that).

Speaking of which:

Oh and they had a jetpack on Penn and Teller Tell A Lie that used hair bleach. I can't find a clip of it though.

While were on the topic, Science, where's my big giant mecha armors?

Casual Shinji:
Oh no, please not again.

Well, I just meant that that's where he basically says that it is- more or less- just The Big Soapbox.

I think the whole cultured meat thing is having the same problem those cloners had in the movie The Island. It just doesn't work without experiencing life. Life is where the flavor comes from apparently.

Well as a biologist the cultured meat is tougher then it seems just like harvesting organs from homeless people is easier then growing organs (joke). The jetpack is just dangerous even more so in the hands of my brother who always forgets to refuel, the lieing thing would work, and as for small animals i would like a giant rabit to ride instead.

Great episode. Somethings I'm not entirely sure are feasible, but hey, it's your show so what do I care if I was entertained.

Seriously though, Glen Beck...rocket...moon. Let's make this happen.

ph0b0s123:

Nicolaus99:

2: Back to including your liberal politics, on a website called "The Escapist". Irony fail.
3: I hope this episode was some kind of secret satire because otherwise it is a staggering display of ignorance and thoughtless mouth noise.

Google "Frankenfood". Good luck marketing THAT to people or convincing a grocery store to stock it. You think "Corn Sugar" creates a backlash? Wait till you wheel out the vat meat. Never mind the cost per pound to produce vat meat vs the same for real meat.

Here's an idea. Take your politics, put it on your jetpack, fly it to the moon with promises of gold, and leave it there.

KingPiccolOwned:
MUST HAVE HAMBEAR!!!!

Yay, for the we should not do something becuase it will initially be expensive and people will initially suspicious about it argument.

Fortunately it is an argument most is stupid, else we would not have half the stuff we now take for granted...

... I'm confused, whose statement are you trying to discredit here?

Yeah, billions wasted on a lie when it could be used to feed people... no reason for punishment there.

I am pro telling our douche nozzeles that oil is on mars.

I AM ALL FOR IT! Because its true; tell them Mars had dinosaurs that left behind fossil fuels and we would have the Starship Enterprise INSTANTLY! They would be throwing money at NASA so much that they would need to hire people to take wheelbarrows and push them to the bank.

As for spending that money to feed people; Why don't we go ahead and do it right and build up some infrastructure in those regions so that food can be distributed. Much as a social issue as it is a scientific. If not more so.

KingPiccolOwned:

ph0b0s123:

Nicolaus99:

KingPiccolOwned:
MUST HAVE HAMBEAR!!!!

... I'm confused, whose statement are you trying to discredit here?

Sorry, misquoted you. Meant to quote someone else...

I feel as though if we can't get people behind the idea of building pipelines or drill in Alaska, you'd have a viciously abysmal time trying to get people to even considering drilling on Mars. That was a poor idea.

All the rest is pretty ok though. I do want a teacup bear. Or Komodo Dragon.

You want to go from the desert to the Dominion War bob?

Deverfro:
Where is that first jetpack image from? 0:32

I'm pretty sure it's from The Rocketeer, a movie where a guy gets a jetpack and has to keep it away from Nazis.
EDIT: I'm about 99.9% sure it's from The Rocketeer, looking at the IMDb page.

OT: But cultured meat would taste like despair. Oh I hope someone gets that reference.

BgRdMchne:
You are never going into space.
You will never own a jet pack.
Your car will never fly.
HIV will not be cured in your lifetime.
Cancer will not be cured in your lifetime.
The common cold will not be cured in your lifetime.
Don't these things bother you?

You don't know these things

I hate these nerdy rantings that so frequently pop up on the web. If you really care so much, why not work towards yourself, instead of just complaining to people for not bothering to fulfill a lazy nerd's dreams for him. And besides, there are jet-packs, they're just sh*t.

Hey, Glen Beck.
Do you like, mmmmmmmmmh bananas?

I love meat and am pretty handy with a grill, but I am totally on board for cultured meat. Raising and slaughtering livestock for calories is a really inefficient use of resources and if there's a cheaper way that uses less real estate and less slaughter to make meat that tastes the same and offers the same nutritional benefits (or better) we should all be in favour of it. Heck, Taco Bell admitted their meat is like 1/3 real beef to 2/3 soy already, so it's not like the taste actually matters to the average fast-food junkie.

Gluzzbung:
Hate to say it, but the reason we're still on Earth is because any type of bacteria on another planet would kill everyone it touched, most likely.

I love H.G. Wells, but his understanding of biology is a century old. Why would bacteria evolve to prey on organisms from a biosphere on a completely alien planet? It makes no evolutionary sense.

Nicolaus99:

...This wasn't escape to the movies, this is his second show, where he can talk about whatever he wants to talk about, he does the moviebob show on fridays

shadowmagus:
Great episode. Somethings I'm not entirely sure are feasible, but hey, it's your show so what do I care if I was entertained.

Seriously though, Glen Beck...rocket...moon. Let's make this happen.

I don't know, that could potentially backfire. Like if he gets picked up by some wandering Ferengi vessel, or something.

Regarding "cultured meat", all I think of is this:

Father Time:

BgRdMchne:
Your car will never fly.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

- Mark Twain

Hope is the denial of reality.

- Margaret Weis

Mantonio:
The CURRENT problem with cultured meat is that it doesn't taste or feel like meat. Meat CURRENTLY only gets its taste and texture because the creature has had stuff like breathing, blood flow, exercise etc etc. It's be more like meat pudding.

Also, you may have noticed that it needs lab equipment to be made. How the hell are the people in Africa going to get that AS THINGS STAND AT THE MOMENT? And even if we in the first world use it, it won't end up in the massive surplus for the rest due to corporate interests. (See the entirety of the diamond industry)

Corrected this portion of your post...

Finally, it's not going to result in happier cows. Those farm animals are bred to be eaten, that is literally their purpose in life, and they have pretty cushy lives right up until they're slaughtered. If millions of meat and fish farmers were suddenly told '"Yeah, we're not using them anymore, we're growing meat in labs now" you think they'd just shrug and let the animals free? Hell no! They'd just kill them all so they don't lose astronomical amounts of money feeding the (now useless) things, and most will still probably go out of business and lose their homes as their livelihood becomes redundant.

Yes, there not be the need to have as many cows as there are now. There probably be as many as there are Bison still kicking around. Guess what animal rights supporters are fine with that....

I've seen what cultured meet looks like right now. It's technically meat, but it's more of a liquidy extra squishy viscousy substance. It's still a few years away from being hamburgerable.

Also, a hamster the size of a bear would be awesome. Then everyone will see that Minsc wasn't crazy.

Father Time:

BgRdMchne:
Your car will never fly.

Given the behavior of the average human flying cars are out; we already have people afraid of planes being hijacked the last thing we need is a car being stolen for the same purpose. Or for that matter drunken people in flying cars. Jetpacks reasonably out. Humanity as a whole is not ready for personal flight. Ideological differences with some nuts, parts of the world that are still barbarians(points outside his window at Texas). As you can see a lot of the world is not ready for personal flight; even with restricting licenses.

As for disease curing there is not much money in curing a disease. Treating is over long term has money therefore that is probably all we will get.

KingPiccolOwned:

Nicolaus99:

He already did, and made a video about it. I suggest that you check his archives.

yes but he didn't really do a proper research why people are scared about it and how it affects farmers..

you dont have a jetpack because it is ridiculously resource consuming. you waste 30 litres of liquid hydrogen-liquid oxygen only to be able to 'fly' for 30 seconds. and we don't have big enough and strong tanks that could compress huge ammounts of fuel. we are juststarting to find new ways to propell an object. and btw its like driving on a rock.

a proper meat alternative would not be meat from the tank (played to much project eden, eh?)
it would be grinded insects compressed to blocks like tofu.
and about the animal rights groups. 70% of them are scams or just hot air (peta)

and about the space program. it would be good to have some spaceships on our lawn just to scare off to other species that might try to invade.
but people just want to waste resources on new Cellphones and TV's.

also this is how people view science today:

help humanity by experimenting and observing for long periods of time with the risk that you might find out that your lifes work was to prove your own theory wrong.

OR

get a huge ammount of cash by being a dick on tv, getting constantly laid and be remembered as the dude that totally laid so much chicks and filmed it on his new cell phone that some nerd (who cares) invented.

and newsfash: science takes time and is hard to do. so please respect our scientist (well just the serious ones) and say thank you once in a while whenever you can plug a micro usb cord in your cellphone to recharge it. they speeded up since 1900 and they are not the ones that made false promisses.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Father Time:

BgRdMchne:
Your car will never fly.

Given the behavior of the average human flying cars are out; we already have people afraid of planes being hijacked the last thing we need is a car being stolen for the same purpose. Or for that matter drunken people in flying cars. Jetpacks reasonably out. Humanity as a whole is not ready for personal flight. Ideological differences with some nuts, parts of the world that are still barbarians(points outside his window at Texas). As you can see a lot of the world is not ready for personal flight; even with restricting licenses.

As for disease curing there is not much money in curing a disease. Treating is over long term has money therefore that is probably all we will get.

yes even if we invent it people will most likely misuse it.

see: dynamite, aeroplanes, cellphones, vaccines, the internet............

As a biologist I think I'll take the cultured meat question.

Of course it is possible to create cultured meat that could be used instead of animals, but at present the technology has not been developed on an industrial scale. Currently the costs involved producing cultured meat are many many times that of producing meat normally.

Secondly the meat produced may look, smell and most crucially taste different from normal meat and just may not be palatable to most people. In addition the whole pointless furore over GM foods demonstrates how resistant people can be to what they see as science 'interfering' with food.

BgRdMchne:

Father Time:

BgRdMchne:
Your car will never fly.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

- Mark Twain

Hope is the denial of reality.

- Margaret Weis

How come you never see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery?"
-Jay Leno

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 62222)