War in the North Review

Pages PREV 1 2

The co-op element attracted me to this game initially. Then I saw the middling reviews on Metacritic. Now my melon is well and truly twisted because Tito says it's a bit of a scorcher. Perhaps a purchase in a future Steam sale...

It's horrible.

Easily the most disappointing game of the year. The visuals look unimpressive, the story and voice acting are horribly weak, and they capture middle earth in a very poorly done way. The game is 90% combat driven, when middle earth is not about that at all. It's as if they took Peter Jacksons vision of middle earth that worked well for movie form, and tried to mix the book style in there. And it doesn't work. If the setting were anything like LOTRO, I'd be hooked. But since LOTRO spoiled me with it's excellent style and lore, I can't play this game.

Think about it, an RPG, made by the guys that did Champions of Norrath, set in Middle Earth, based off of the books. Should be great. But it has it's missed potential.

Why are an elf, a man, and a dwarf partied up? You don't get to know.
Why would an elf, a man and a dwarf party up? Logically, they wouldn't. But they need racial diversity in middle earth apparently. I was expecting a hobbit bounder as the 4th party member at this rate.

And whats with the mage? Her spell casting animation is atrocious looking! And why is the elf a mage? WHY GOD.

Everything that sets Tolkeins world apart from other generic fantasy video game settings is diminishing. Because everything in this game lacks style, and culture that exists in middle earth. It's now a generic fantasy setting, loaded with constant slaying of monsters, and mages. I haven't seen a classic setting butchered this bad since The Force Unleashed tried to prequelize the original series.

As far as the RPG and combat mechanics go? They're alright I suppose. The combat gets boring fast, and there will be many times where you swing at nothing. Also, there are invisible walls all over the place. RPG mechanics? Eh, theres a pretty decent loot system and the RPG elements are alright.

Oh, and the dialogue is boring. Oh so boring.

Johnnie Brambora:

Why are an elf, a man, and a dwarf partied up? You don't get to know.
Why would an elf, a man and a dwarf party up? Logically, they wouldn't. But they need racial diversity in middle earth apparently. I was expecting a hobbit bounder as the 4th party member at this rate.

This bothered me for a while as well, then I remembered the friendship and journey of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli across Rohan, through the Paths of the Dead and finally to Minas Tirith (yes, there are others with them, but an elves, dwarves and men are already working together in the War of the Ring).

That's not so much different than the game, even though they don't really explain why they are together, I agree.

I've been waiting some time for this title now and I'm glad I got the Collector's edition. Because paying 60 euros for this game alone isn't really worth it... At least now I got a cool troll juggling a dwarf with it... And a nice artbook...

The game is really really... SHORT!
The game has a area map... But you can only go to 33% of it's locations
The gameplay is ANNOYING!
(The item swapping and leveling between the characters in singleplayer is so, not there... Really annoying you must walk an entire area to play as another companion)

I really wonder if the developers have ever played games in which you have companions?

WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE SOME DECENT ITEM COMPARISON INTERFACE?
WHY CAN'T WE LEVEL ALL COMPANIONS AT ONCE?

Anyway... This is really the only thing that really drives me mad when playing this game...
It would have been great, if not for the limitations mentioned above...
Still I can't stop playing it... Need more ITEMS! And some DLC's

I hope they will solve this problem with a patch...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here