Escape to the Movies: Immortals

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Spygon:
Okay this is the final straw i have tried to listen to your series on a large number of things but enough is enough.I dont know if its just you being you but you let shit films and ideas get a easy pass because it has good and different effects.

Effects are killing the industry alot quicker than anything else as your promoting alot of shit films on the story line side just because the film has a new take on effects.A number of times i have thought yes bob knows what he is doing but on a number of key topics you seem to want to advise the world into going stupid directions

I know that me saying this wont change your following i just hope that people catch on before you lead them down a dark hole.

It's good to know that you are the end-all, be-all authority on this subject, correct? This is in no way just a personal opinion of yourself that you have taken and projected to become the one truth, is it?

Why am I getting the nastiest feeling that this film is going to be critically mauled by every single critic EXCEPT Bob and will turn into a massive box-office flop (just like Sucker Punch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World and every other visually daring and experimental film that deserves better than it gets from the braindead mainstream public)?

Spygon:
Okay this is the final straw i have tried to listen to your series on a large number of things but enough is enough.I dont know if its just you being you but you let shit films and ideas get a easy pass because it has good and different effects.

Effects are killing the industry alot quicker than anything else as your promoting alot of shit films on the story line side just because the film has a new take on effects.A number of times i have thought yes bob knows what he is doing but on a number of key topics you seem to want to advise the world into going stupid directions

I know that me saying this wont change your following i just hope that people catch on before you lead them down a dark hole.

My, SOMEONE is certainly full of themselves (hint: I'm not talking about Bob here). I'm SO glad people like you are around to prevent people like Bob from destroying the entire film industry (hint: I'm being sarcastic here)!

Arcane Azmadi:
Why am I getting the nastiest feeling that this film is going to be critically mauled by every single critic EXCEPT Bob and will turn into a massive box-office flop (just like Sucker Punch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World and every other visually daring and experimental film that deserves better than it gets from the braindead mainstream public)?

Spygon:

My, SOMEONE is certainly full of themselves (hint: I'm not talking about Bob here). I'm SO glad people like you are around to prevent people like Bob from destroying the entire film industry (hint: I'm being sarcastic here)!

It's kind of difficult to criticize the "braindead mainstream public" for not going to movies that are advertised as CGI drenched spectacles that go light on characters and plot. Not to give "the mainstream" too much credit but it's hard to get people to show up for a movie that doesn't ask the audience to think, laugh, cry, or have any emotional investment in what's happening on the screen.

DJShire:

misterprickly:
I'm SOOOOO glad that you didn't waste our time with "Jack n Jill".

Really? Cause I was expecting that to be what was reviewed.

Though its not really like we wouldn't know what to expect: as of earlier today, Jack and Jill was at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, and now is at 3% because two critics were a bit too forgiving on the movie. If you couldn't tell Jack and Jill was tosh from the previews, then you aren't paying enough attention to the world and/or your sense of humor is that of an 8 year old boy.

Ya! That movie was doomed to fail the moment it was typed-up.

At least they didn't do the whole "Greeks used to have blue eyes and blonde hair thing"

Oh wait.

"The Cell: kinda sucked" ?? The Cell 2, yes the first half did (I didn't see the second half, maybe it had redeeming value but I can't guess) in the sense it had nothing in common with the first one and looked more like some telefilm than a real movie, but what's wrong with the first one ? :-(

Darksqueee:

Spygon:

It's good to know that you are the end-all, be-all authority on this subject, correct? This is in no way just a personal opinion of yourself that you have taken and projected to become the one truth, is it?

Watch the immortals then listen to this video again.Then maybe listen to some more reviews from other critics then you can be the be-all authority aswell.As not being the "oh flashy gore" crowd makes films so more intresting

Arcane Azmadi:

Spygon:

Maybe because most critics dont judge films on graphic kill scenes that even bob semm to show is the only good parts of the film.Also if you have to mention your being sarcastic you dont know how to use sarcasm

I just saw Immortals, and yes, I can unequiviocally say that eye candy is enough. Moviebob is totally right, 300 has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on this level of hyper-violence. It more than makes up for the lackluster story, although it was an interesting re-imagining of some classic Greek stories.

"Militaristic wanking"
Someone's been watching ZP

Huh. Never thought I'd hear an american use the term "wank"

Sonic Doctor:

MonkeyPunch:
Never even heard of this, but colour me interested now.

I wonder if you actually watch any television, or if it just wasn't advertised in your area.

The reason I say this is that, these days, I only watch about 2 hours of actual TV with commercials a week and the commercials for this movie practically air during every commercial break. To me it was bad advertising, because I saw the commercial for it so much that I actually got sick of hearing about it that I would rather stay home and save money.

That's unfortunate. Overplayed ads can really turn what they are trying to sell to you in to something you loath.

But you're pretty much right. I barely watch TV. If I do it's mostly the news. Also, I don't live in the States. I don't think ads for this movie have been run in Europe (or at least where I live) yet - most likely because the movie wont appear here for a while I'm guessing.

The Fall is one of my favorite movies of all time, so I'm disappointed.
EDIT: HE SAID IT WAS GOOD, OH SNAP!

Meh. I didn't think the movie was that great.

As you said, it's basically eye candy. Not much else to it.

You reckon Ratner has sunk his career with that comment? I think we all remember how well Michael Richards career has gone since that day he made his comment.

The Immortals looks pretty good, but then yeah, its designed to look good. Much like how some movies are designed to be Oscar-bait.

Hahahaha, I love it. Bob complains about militaristic macho wanking from 300, a movie based on the Spartans.

300 is all kinds of unfaithful to the actual Spartans, but, if anything, they actually toned DOWN on the military macho wanking in the MOVIE than was actually present in HISTORY. Bob, you are officially trolling real history. :3 I mean, yeah, the culture had pederasty and homosexuality and societal requirements for being a citizen there. The culture was hugely driven by masculine ideals of power, even with the women.

maybe i give this one a try. have to wait till the 17th. dint like 300 but if immortals is ok for the eye, then i think i spend my money on it. :P .
tintin will come out on the 24th this month. i hope this will be good and true to the comics.

I just saw it and I thought it was a massive MEH! It had an okay beginning and an okay ending. Everything inbetween was boring and dull.

Boring and dull is the term I would use for something like Revenge of the Fallen. Immortals in my opinion is no 300. 300 had decent characters, decent story, better dialogue (of all things), and 300 wasn't boring, 300 was fun.

Immortals, to me at least is like the Transformers movies and 2012. In Transformers you don't care about Sam or Megan Fox, and in 2012 you don't give a shit about this failed novelist and his family. No what you care about is Transformers and the end of the world. In Immortals the only thing I wanted was God on Titan action. You got little of that. I liked a lot of this movie but at the end of the day it felt as mediorce like the Clash of the Titans remake. Both Clash of the Titans and Immortals had wasted potential.

Immortals was so above average at best. How about this for Hollywood's next mythology movie: Focuse on the Gods and give them development.

Yeah I didn't like the movie, and this is coming from someone who liked Transformers 1 and 3 and The Expendables! What did I miss in this movie? I liked the violence, and that was properly it.

Horrible Horrible movie, a million wasted opportunities. The gods are barely distinct from one another, Zeus doesn't even throw lightning, the Titans all look the same when actually they are supposed to be quite different and most importantly HUGE! These super active Zombies are the size of normal people and just get smashed by generic looking gods. The bow is used as little more than a key and the character development is a huge time waster leading nowhere. This movie was a huge disappointment.

ravenshrike:

Darkstrike_11:
but not similar THEMES. You get all the sexiness of the stylised action, none of the dodgy fascist undertones.

Of course, if you know anything about greek mythology you know that Theseus was a filthy kidnapper and rapist. Also, you seem to be confusing Fascist undertones with Spartan undertones, although from a certain point of non-economic view the Spartans could have been considered the worlds first fascists.

Isn't nearly everyone in Ancient Greek myth some combination of psychopath, rapist, thief or all around arsehole though? I've read a few of the old myths and really, most of the heroes of the story are hero by virtue of the viewpoint only :p

I saw the movie last night. It's pretty much everything Bob said it was, but I didn't enjoy it as much as he seemed to. The structure and pacing issues in the middle that Bob mentioned just ruined it for me and the gory action sequences weren't enough to make up for it. (I found myself looking at my watch several times during the movie; that's my benchmark for an unentertaining movie)

Another thing that bugged me was the inconsistent themes used, like the Oracle stating that it's a curse to be able to see the future, but not be able to do anything to change it... and then later saying that it's only a "possible" future that she sees. WTF? Can you change the future or not? I'm okay with movies making up the rules as they go along, but they can at least keep the rules consistent!

Speaking of the Oracle's prophecies:

And don't get me started about the ending...

oh my god have you seen this crap?

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/peta-slams-mario-over-fur-suit-211025773.html

i admit i just want to see your reaction.

hot damn I wanna watch this movie :D

DearFilm:
If Bob is looking for Art House action films, I wonder if he ever got around to seeing 'Hanna.' That film was fantastic with a great sense of style.

Yes he did see it.
He mentioned it during his take on another film (he did not review Hanna), and said it kicked all sorts of ass and we should watch it or be damned forever (or something on those lines, I am paraphrasing a little :-D).

duchaked:
hot damn I wanna watch this movie :D

Second that.

Mosstromo:

DearFilm:
If Bob is looking for Art House action films, I wonder if he ever got around to seeing 'Hanna.' That film was fantastic with a great sense of style.

Yes he did see it.
He mentioned it during his take on another film (he did not review Hanna), and said it kicked all sorts of ass and we should watch it or be damned forever (or something on those lines, I am paraphrasing a little :-D).

I am curious now.

0.03% /= 3 percent

OT: Might check it out if the fighting is cool, I've just heard that it's fairly poor from people who have actually seen it. I'll get it cheap on DVD in the future sometime, most likely.

This movie is pure unadulterated garbage! The action isn't even that good, the characters are standard carbon copies and the shit that happens makes zero sense about 2/3 of the time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here