Jimquisition: How Skyrim Proves The Industry Wrong

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

He's right, he's cute he- oh he just went OTT at the end, I was just about to take my pants off too.
Other than being OTT he has a point. And I think the truth is - ALL of the games industry know about this crap, it's just big businesses want their lovely money and budgets and all profit...
And um actually, I know the sales figures sounds impressive... but well GTA 4 sold 6million copies in the first week and to this day around 22 million total. I'm sure Skyrim will hit that figure or near enough it eventually, I'm just saying 3.5 million ISN'T that much compared to total shit other games like CoD.
It just depends on the audience - they add multiplayer to games when they don't rack enough profit. Then again with that said - who DOESN'T want Skyrim multiplayer?!

Based on what I see in Skyrim Bethesda is greedily eyeing WoWs bleeding subscriber numbers and looking for a way to scoop them up.

Prediction 1: Bethesda will announce a future Elder Scrolls MMO to coincide with a major Skyrim expansion, possibly even a multi-player component

Prediction 2: The vast majority of the content will be procedural and user generated

Actually I'd say Dead Island is a better example because it didn't have the deep pockets behind it but became the best selling for it's release month.

And while Zombie have been done to death I've never played a Fallout 3 style first person thrower (I was the throwing dude).
Even with its bugs (not as bad for me as people claimed) it had the best level scaling of any RPG I ever played. I never once felt like an overpowered badass like I'm feeling in Skyrim. Which is great for the zombie genre.

I think most hardcore gamers are over-privileged. We forget that the great hardcore games are what drives this industry.
As long as I have my good games everyone else can keep their Madden Warfares. I'm not gonna hate on the cash cows just because I don't play them.

epic zombie chicken action in that vid, very nice!

Spot.fucking.on!

Couldn't be more right about this Jim, well said. Nice hat by the way, I want it!

Well said. I've gone from hating this series to loving it. It's rare I do a 180 like that, but the man keeps making good points. Well said again...now if only developers would listen.

Jim NAILED it on the head. I'm looking DIRECTLY AT YOU, MASS EFFECT 3!!!!!!!

Eri:
My fucking god, Jim Sterling really is right about everything.

I know, that's the exact same reaction I had. Well for this vid anyway. I always thought Jim was kind of a douche. Now though I'll try to keep up on his show.

Ya know, Skyrim is a lot like the dishes. There's an endless amount of sorta varied content all rendered in particularly high definition that literally millions of people are getting in on and that feels quite a bit like work and lacks interesting gameplay or even an immersive story. And you know what else? Neither of them is any goddamned fun. At least after I've done the dishes I have clean glasses and plates to show for my boredom though.

vivster:
pathetic... comparing skyrim to any other game
it's an open world game for at least 50+ hours... of course it doesn't need an online mode
and of course because it does not need an online pass because there is no such thing as server fees
where do you come from to assume that any of that can say anything about any other game?

By online pass I presume he's including the idea that, first time buyers have access to exclusive content that otherwise must be bought by second hand consumers. Like EA's project 10 dollar.

Lots of open-world games or sand-box games also have recently included online modes. None of that I've actually played myself mind you, but Red Dead Redemption, that other sandbox with high-tech swat guys, etcetera

Anyone have a flashback of Louie Anderson at the end?
Anyone?
Oh well.

So being awesome is better that being a dick.. who knew? Someone should tell EA and Activision and that other one with the red logo but i can't remember which one.

Wait, Jim is our Dragonborn?

We are all going to die.

Zachary Amaranth:
I didn't see a single mention of Dynasty Warriors. :( Booo, Jim!

INeedAName:
But Jim! Making games like Skyrim takes time, effort and dedication (something most videogame developers today don't bother with...)!

And why would we risk money on effort when we can slap on multiplayer and charge for DLC?

sarcasm aside :/ sad how true that is.

but this almost makes me wanna throw money at Bethesda for Skyrim, (cept then I'd have a game i've no lasting interest in playing) cause it more or less represents 'the correct path' of video game creation, time, effort, attention to detail and understanding the player base to give them what they want, and will want to play for YEARS, not just months

Man, I remember the first few videos of Jimquisition where the majority of us hated Sterling and everything he said. Now the Jimquisition is another reason why I keep coming to the Escapist.

Aureliano:
Ya know, Skyrim is a lot like the dishes. There's an endless amount of sorta varied content all rendered in particularly high definition that literally millions of people are getting in on and that feels quite a bit like work and lacks interesting gameplay or even an immersive story. And you know what else? Neither of them is any goddamned fun. At least after I've done the dishes I have clean glasses and plates to show for my boredom though.

I hear you, its not deep, but TES`s games have never been about that. TES`s games are about getting home, booting up the game, living the life of a wandering adventurer that never forms any meaningful relationship with anyone. And if you cant enjoy that, then no one is forcing you to do it.
The game is still flawed tho, but that does not mean its boring or bad, its just... not for you.

well put Jim .... well put :D

I wish the publishers would begin listening to this. If they understood then the industry as a whole would benefit. Jim speaks the truth. :D

P.S. Skyrim is amazing! I've put 100+ hours in and I'm still overwhelmed with quests(in a good way of course!) Great job Bethesda the game definitely deserves game of the year.

Lhynn:

Aureliano:

I hear you, its not deep, but TES`s games have never been about that. TES`s games are about getting home, booting up the game, living the life of a wandering adventurer that never forms any meaningful relationship with anyone. And if you cant enjoy that, then no one is forcing you to do it.
The game is still flawed tho, but that does not mean its boring or bad, its just... not for you.

Bad? Never said it was bad. Boring? Well, how many people does something have to bore to be boring? It bored me, and I can't be the only one, so I suspect it's a boring game.

Now all we need is more adventures of Mr Mochi to come from skyrim and the game will be perfect.

Waggle controller ftw!!!

ON a more serious note: Holy shit Jim, I can only be 100% with you on this. You are my fucking gaming industry guru-god.

Thanks for the offer, Jim, but I'd rather fuck Skyrim.

I also love how they think that preowned games are such a threat. Has anyone realised how little money you get trading games in? It's generally worth more to me to keep it, even if the game wasn't amazing. Furthermore I may buy xbox games preowned but I buy a lot more PC games and I get ALL them brand new. PC gaming's dead MY ARSE, if preowned is such a threat then surely PC games are the way to go.

FOSSS ROHH DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I would have non homo gay man sex with jim any day of the week!

Hit the nail on the head with this one.

I am sick and tired of having multiplayer crammed down my throat. Not a fan, not even a little.

HOWEVER, I do like co-op play like Borderlands. Online makes it better but you can play offline and not miss a thing.

Single player is far from dead, gaming studios just have money symbols in their eyes and are only focusing on the short term. I can play Mario 30 years later and still have a great experience. Try playing COD 30 years later and you'll only have a cruddy 4 hour single-player campaign that was an obvious afterthought because the studio is fixated on MP.

Also, epic ending

Well, I just wanted to say that Skyrim isn't the only game that proves that industry wrong.
Anyways, nice episode. ;)

Goddamn I've disagreed with Jim in the past, but I agree wholeheartedly here.

Especially regarding 'holding Catwoman to ransom'. I described Arkham City in similar terms on this forum when the issue first came up just prior to it's release, and felt pretty alone in my opinion. I'm glad there's someone else who thinks finds that practice despicable, even if they are fat and ugly.

;)

Agree with everything, bravo Jim, didn't rate you to start with, but now i think you're awesome.

The thing is, Skyrim is the exception and not the rule.
The game was huge already, it had the established fanbase and everything. But that's probably just because it does, like you said, give lots of shit. But I really do feel a larger pull to games with multiplayer if its done well. Gears of War for instance, even though I never played it that much.

Also, Skyrim doesn't beat Modern Warfare 3's money dominance, but the game has done really good judging by all the threads featured on the site, and it deserves it. The creators of the game should be hailed for creating a game in which I've already logged 90 hours on.

This man speaks the truth. Also, I want that hat.

Rack:
Oh look, Jim being wrong again, how surprising.

Oh look someone saying something negative about something factually without having any argument in his post to back it up. Shine on.

I thought he would've said something about piracy as well, seeing as Steam has about 200k people playing it at any given time.

I could not agree more. It's really disappointing to see how many games are released following that stupid "competitive multiplayer MUST be included" by developers who fear any possible dent in their wallets.

To be perfectly honest, the ending was predictable, though still hilarious.

Good work Jim, another excellent episode, proving yourself yet again as the flagship weekly video on this site.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here