Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Inquisitor Character Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2

2xDouble:

Drawing a few other examples of creative use for powers like these, besides Starkiller: Cole McGrath, Sora, Trish (MvC3), Shaman (World of Warcraft), Megaman (specifically Megaman 8), Magneto (and any number of other comic book characters), Lopez (Red vs Blue), Yoda (Attack of the Clones), Palpatine (Revenge of the Sith).

Your grasping at straws here, Shamans in wow, have at the most, 4 abilities that use lightning and all of them are actually in SWTOR(well I don't think lightning shield is, but they have a bubble that has lightning around it). The rest of the shaman abilities are either nature or fire based.

HalfTangible:

2xDouble:

HalfTangible:
I think he's under the impression that 'shoot lightning' only happens and works one way =/

No, I'm under the impression that "shoot lightning" is the only thing you need. When and at what you "shoot lightning" determines what it does, how it moves, etc.; not the way you shoot it.

Poorly worded on my part... i mean, you seem to think that the different force lightning moves are all essentially the same thing - shoot lightning, causes damage, repeat.

Drawing from the rest of your response geared towards Quiotu, you seem to think that lightning is just going to be lightning.

The key here is that it's FORCE lightning - it's not actually electricity, it's force energy condensed into a damaging form which acts like lightning. This means that the 'lightning' could be used for any number of things, from torture to restraint to lord-knows-what.

The lightning IS used in different ways. We just haven't been shown any of them, because there aren't any skill videos: just armor progression here.

Exactly. That's what it's supposed to be. I used lightning to restrain captives, to interrogate prisoners, or to flat-out murder people... in scenes. But in combat, that's all it was: shoot lightning, do damage, repeat.

Even in this regard I felt let down. Where's the ability to shoot lightning at the ground to cause explosions or something? Where's the ability to shoot at the ceiling and knock stuff down or drop a bolt from the sky? Where's the midair bolt to the ground (which would have been much cooler than copying the Warrior's and Jedi's stomps while keeping the same results)? Where's the ability to shoot so forcefully you lift up your victim as you microwave them (no, whirlwind doesn't count)? Where's the ability to charge up an object, enemy, or ally so they discharge lightning periodically at other enemies? (Why not? you can already create Force Lightning shields around yourself that do that.) Where's the ability to put a static charge on something that builds over time and discharges for AoE damage? Where's the focused bolt or heavy impact blasts to knock people around? Where the hell is Saber Throw (and why can't I charge that with lightning to make it distinct from the Warrior's)?

I looked through the skill lists in the game, didn't see anything like these... not on the Inquisitor anyway.

I'll give you Lightning Storm though... I think that was its name... channeling lightning into the ground to strike up from below is fairly creative. But that's one skill out of so many possibilities.

animehermit:
Your grasping at straws here, Shamans in wow, have at the most, 4 abilities that use lightning and all of them are actually in SWTOR(well I don't think lightning shield is, but they have a bubble that has lightning around it). The rest of the shaman abilities are either nature or fire based.

You're right, Shaman is a pretty bad example. I just wanted to use another known Lightning-user without referencing Guild Wars 2 again... and because the wizards in Magicka don't really have identities to reference. The others, however, are perfectly valid examples of clever or creative ways to use lightning powers, even when just using them to attack foes. The one class known as a master of force lightning should have figured out at least a few of those.

Yeah, even I don't not really a Star Wars fan and will most likely stick with WoW but I'm at least giving this a try. I doubt I'll go further then a month of play but it looks like a fun break from WoW really.

And before it's said, I know it looks pretty much like WoW, but I did the same with Rift and thought it was worth the money.

Though, I have a few friends choosing the play as well, which is half of the reason for doing so.

HalfTangible:
The lightning IS used in different ways. We just haven't been shown any of them, because there aren't any skill videos: just armor progression here.

Indeed, it is (and the video shows off most of them, if not all). Unfortunately, that's the second biggest problem with the Sorcerer - everything he does is a form of lightning. Lightning channel, lightning bolt, lightning blast, lightning chain, lightning shield, lightning burst, lightning stun, lightning cyclone... By level 20 you get two bars full of similar-looking purple icons, you cast purple buffs, you get purple procs. Lightning looks pretty, though, and the class story is fairly interesting.

As for my biggest problem with the Sorcerer: while the trailer is in no way representative of the actual gameplay, it shows one thing you'll be seeing a lot. About 1 minute in, Khem Val (the big shaved gorilla) falls down the moment more than one mob looks at him funny. He's your tank companion and he won't survive a non-trivial fight without healing after level 25. Sorcerer's survivability is a touch low for solo play during mid-game. After 30 levels, my biggest regret is not selecting Assassin.

Quiotu:

Actually, Starkiller is rather debatable as canon for a lot of people. In most cases when it comes to the force, Starkiller is considered the exception rather than the rule. No one in the entire canon of Star Wars comes even close to what he can do with the force... things like force pulling a star destroyer planetside are not common occurences.

Putting shit like that in TOR would be retarded... thousands of Starkillers vying for the top spot, it'd be silly to the point of unplayable.

I played beta and thought the game looked great even when they locked the graphics on low! There are some storylines I liked and some I didn't. If you're not enjoying the one you picked there are 7 others to choose from. There's going to be at least one you find compelling. It really is set up just like kotor except the combat is much better (and also more varied obviously with 8 classes to choose from). The companions slot into the main storyline - it's not just "Hey, why don't you take Random NPC X with you?" - and their AI is pretty damn good. They really work as intended.
Basically I was tired of mmos and their same old crap but SWTOR has got me excited again. Perhaps because I rate story and characters above all else but I can't wait to play. Send me my early access email Bioware!!

On topic<
Dully trailer for how much I loved the beta,(A lot)

Off topic

Arec Balrin:
If anyone who didn't try the beta wants to know: yes, that is as good as the game looks. In fact Knights of The Old Republic, that gem of a game BioWare gave us in *2003* looks way better.

Are you high?

Gustof26:

Arec Balrin:
If anyone who didn't try the beta wants to know: yes, that is as good as the game looks. In fact Knights of The Old Republic, that gem of a game BioWare gave us in *2003* looks way better.

I...just don't get it. It makes so little sense why the graphics are so low res. I understand art styles, and perhaps even begrudgingly accept that their needed so more people can play the game. I just don't see why they need to have it look so...bleh.

Funny though the newly released Guild wars 2 Mesmer feels more Sith like then the actual sith Class.

I would like to congratulate you on bring up GW2 in record speed with the 4th post of a SWTOR thread. Unfortunately I can't, as someone usually brings it up much faster then that.

So... Who else is bothered with the fact that the Assassin is using the worst possible weapon an actual assassin can use?

So... Who else is bothered by the fact that two of the Sith Empire's starting classes have nothing to do with their job descriptions?
When I see a class titled "Inquisitor", I expect that most of the classes abilities to be devoted to handing out surveys, and dealing out really tough questions.
When I see a class titled "Agent"; I expect that class to be either selling newspapers behind the counter of a store (for instance, a news-agency); doing receptionary work; or telling every one around town that they are not an agent, and thus secretly being a secret agent.

Heh, Inquisitor?
I doubt I'm the first to say this, but I never expected the Sith Inquisition.

Ldude893:
-snip-

Lol..For the Emperor!!!

Wow, a lot of hate in this thread. :)

I think this trailer was very weak, sure, that one armor was pretty sweet, almost looked like he tore a face from someone. But overall, meh, just like the class. I played it during the beta and it was okey, but it was a lot less fun than I thought it would be.

I will stick to Bounty Hunter/Trooper or Smuggler/Agent.

In a way it seems much more special to be someone without a lasersword (Yes that is right!) or the force in this game. But then again, Boba Fett was and still is awesome.

Coldie:
About 1 minute in, Khem Val (the big shaved gorilla) falls down the moment more than one mob looks at him funny. He's your tank companion and he won't survive a non-trivial fight without healing after level 25.

Just to make sure - you were gearing him up, weren't you?

2xDouble:
Yeah, but can it do this?

Finally! I've been saving a bottle for this day!

Now just get a release date out before the rest of my wine goes sour!

GrindBass:
Just to make sure - you were gearing him up, weren't you?

Yes, definitely. Every single quest upgrade and any suitable drops, all went to him. By level 29 he fell so far behind that the game turned into a tedious grind against overwhelming enemy forces. Two silver mob pulls or one silver + trash required healing, while a gold mob would have me healing full-time, throwing out a DOT or two between heals (a pull with just weak or regular mobs did almost no damage). The armor nerf for tank companions was pretty significant, and 25-30 is where the game gets harder in general. Perhaps it was a hint that I should've switched over to a healing spec or the new DPS companion, Steven Blum.

On the other hand, Trooper/Commando is fantastic. Heavy armor, decent mobility, high damage. I didn't play Commando as much, but found it a lot more satisfying, if not as flashy as Sorcerer. By level 15-ish Commandos get around 3 AOE spells that allow you to murder the hell out of trash mobs, as opposed to Sorcerer's weaksauce first AoE being available as a level 20 talent (Chain Lightning).

Played the Beta weekend.

Most fun I've had in an MMO in ages.

Not much more to say really, I've no desire to get into arguments with those who've already made up their minds about the quality of this game several months ago.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Vrach:

I've actually played both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 in the last few months. I've played the beta during the last two weekends. Your glasses are so remarkably rose tinted, I'm afraid you might have gone completely blind.

TOR looks remarkably better than KOTOR games do and that's even without anti-aliasing, Ultra settings and everything else that comes with a final build (although you can go ahead and google some screenshots/videos where people forced AA if you're so inclined, the Ultra option ain't in yet though).

Thank you!

I don't understand why some people have to constantly bitch over ever little thing, here I will try it with Guild Wars 2:

I got nothin. I will just be the sane guy and play "BOTH" games at the same time. Will save me time and headaches.

I completely agree with the both of you - sorry, I only got to this post before realising the previous few posts that bashes the game undeservedly just got on my nerves.

Having played the beta for this and KOTOR1, I would say this is much more polished graphicswise than KOTOR1, but this reveal trailer is pretty bad at showing it. It's also less buggy I found too (sorry, Bioware are usually good for beta testing bugs, and don't get me wrong, I loved KOTOR... when melee combat didn't freeze my character in place).

Also, to people who want to bash the game for being "low on the graphics department", can I just throw this out... how many players does WoW have now? Millions? Must be the amazingly detailed graphics it has...

Anyways! OT - The Sith Inquisitor is an awesome class. Loved playing it in the beta and will make a brand new one for my early access playthrough! (Which reminds me, that's due either today or the next few days...)

Doesn't look great. I hope Bethesda will add something good storywise.

Prince Regent:

Bethesda they said.

Well I played Inquisitor (Sorcerer) in beta and it felt really powerful, probably one of the top dps classes. Still, it's not a great trailer, and game isn't that impressive. I was bothered by noticeable lag, disconnects and other technical problems, but then again it was a beta. Overall fun experience (for a time) but will not be seeing my money since I still have to pick up Skyrim and Arkham City.

Arec Balrin:

From a technical standpoint, you are talking out of your arse.

wooty:

The lightning looks too overpowered too, kind of like the MMO's answer to the noobtube.

Its a trailer. Designed to make specific a class look good.

Duh.

Why does the armor look like shit... The Sorcerer looks like something from Brink with a dress and the other armor was so bathed in other game armor types of the MeleeCasterDress feel

Also why does IT STILL LOOK CLUNKY!

Woodsey:

wooty:

The lightning looks too overpowered too, kind of like the MMO's answer to the noobtube.

Duh.

Hmmm, just makes the game look a bit......easy.

Which kind of worries me, Force Unleashed had the same kind of thing in its trailers and the game was practically a walkthrough.

Ldude893:
Heh, Inquisitor?
I doubt I'm the first to say this, but I never expected the Sith Inquisition.

Nobody expects the Sithish Inquisition!

You're welcome. heh.

animehermit:

Prince Regent:

Bethesda they said.

Whoops, must have been playing too much Skyrim. Bioware I ment Biowere. :P

ah and why am i not surprised the guild wars 2 elitists came storming in here...

OT: the trailer really didn't look that amazing, i'm still debating on whether or not i want to get the game, if i have extra cash perhaps but it still hasn't won me over quite yet.

wooty:

Woodsey:

wooty:

Duh.

Hmmm, just makes the game look a bit......easy.

Which kind of worries me, Force Unleashed had the same kind of thing in its trailers and the game was practically a walkthrough.

The only thing the two games have in common is that they're both set in the SW universe.

gmaverick019:
ah and why am i not surprised the guild wars 2 elitists came storming in here...

It's funny though - it's actually turning me off the idea of buying Guild Wars 2 and just sticking purely to SWTOR. Seriously, one thing I hated about WoW was the amount of elitests on the chat, got right on my nerves.

On the SWTOR chat, everyone had a brilliant sense of humour with only a few big debates. That could just be that it was the beta though and may not reflect the chat to come when the game's officially released...

gmaverick019:

Because you have an undeserved persecution complex. Welcome to our side.

Darn it... I just, like, 30 mins ago got my e-mail for eairly access... and I'm stuck here at work. I'd planed to take some vacation time to enjoy this games launch, but, i scheaduled it for Friday, through next week, back when we only got 5 days. I'd figured i'd be in forsure by Friday, which is why i took it off. NOW, I get to sit here and wait for the clock to slowly tick down to quiting time.

Yes, yes, I know, it's not REALLY a problem to complain about, what with getting 2 extra days of access to the game, but, BAH, it's at home waiting for me and i can't play it....

Kingsnake661:
Darn it... I just, like, 30 mins ago got my e-mail for eairly access... and I'm stuck here at work. I'd planed to take some vacation time to enjoy this games launch, but, i scheaduled it for Friday, through next week, back when we only got 5 days. I'd figured i'd be in forsure by Friday, which is why i took it off. NOW, I get to sit here and wait for the clock to slowly tick down to quiting time.

Yes, yes, I know, it's not REALLY a problem to complain about, what with getting 2 extra days of access to the game, but, BAH, it's at home waiting for me and i can't play it....

Yeah I wish they sent it out a little earlier. I mean I know I'm not getting mine till at least the end of the week, but it would be nice to plan it out.

I had no interest in this. Then I played the Beta. I've now bought the game and I'm waiting for my early play wave to come up. Seems I'll be waiting a while, lol.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here