The New Shiny Escapist

Pages PREV 1 . . . 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Nice...I get a warning for the above post...what do the staff get for ignoring criticism?

Probably badges.

Badges?

BADGES?

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!

and uhh content.... Yeah... I notice that the borders now have a very slight texture to them. It's like a barely visible gray. Meaning some one took the time to add a border, but still left it 99.99% bright white.

Well if you want to let them know that actual design issues are what you want discussed sign up to the group and tell them, as despite the number of posts and posters this is apparently the grumbling of a minority.

Unfortunately there are bound to be people who hate the redesign but will bend over and take it without saying a word. If you got friends on the escapist who hate it but haven't said anything get them to. If enough people keep on at them to fix this amateurish mess they just might have to start listening.

Right... because they've shown so much tendency to listen so far. Multiple threads, before and after the change. In said threads almost universal hate for the color scheme. What gets fiddled with? The fucking mail icon.

Escapist staff haven't given one acknowledgment of the fact that this color scheme is physically painful to browse for more than a minute at a time.

The only response came once patience finally snapped and anger showed. What was the response? Mockery.

The Escapist staff has proven themselves to not give two shits about any of their customers (yes, both PubClub and regular visitors are customers as each pageview gives ad revenue) or their feedback. Multiple threads with double digits of pages, each page having multiple references to painful browsing. How the hell are any of us expected to think they'll suddenly stop being weaponsgrade douchebottles and suddenly start listening to these issues?

They've decided that there's no way in hell they could have screwed the pooch and everyone else is wrong. Fuck the customers, especially those who already paid through PubClub. I've halted any new payment and I'm talking to my bank to have the first one unfucked.

Deviate:
Right... because they've shown so much tendency to listen so far. Multiple threads, before and after the change. In said threads almost universal hate for the color scheme. What gets fiddled with? The fucking mail icon.

Escapist staff haven't given one acknowledgment of the fact that this color scheme is physically painful to browse for more than a minute at a time.

The only response came once patience finally snapped and anger showed. What was the response? Mockery.

The Escapist staff has proven themselves to not give two shits about any of their customers (yes, both PubClub and regular visitors are customers as each pageview gives ad revenue) or their feedback. Multiple threads with double digits of pages, each page having multiple references to painful browsing. How the hell are any of us expected to think they'll suddenly stop being weaponsgrade douchebottles and suddenly start listening to these issues?

They've decided that there's no way in hell they could have screwed the pooch and everyone else is wrong. Fuck the customers, especially those who already paid through PubClub. I've halted any new payment and I'm talking to my bank to have the first one unfucked.

This.

I love this whole "it's a minority" thing...well sure, now that most of the people have either left the site or realized that NO ONE at the Escapist is willing to address this with anything but trolling like Mr. Kross displayed, and only ever to those who became rude. Those of us who didn't were ignored utterly and completely. They disregarded all advice given to them both before and after the change, from both paying and non-paying members, because they convinced themselves the redesign was somehow awesome and now can't take any criticism whatsoever.

Like I said, I just hope someday Bob and Yahtzee leave for a better site, as I can only bear to look at the site for a couple minutes at a time, so painful is it to gaze upon.

I like the site redesign. It would be nice if later on we are given a choice between the white background or a couple of different colors. Overall though I like the new look of The Escapist.

Official Redesign Group? In other words. It is the Escapist Staff creating a new venue to discuss changes because there is too many complainers here. Why address complaints when you can ignore them instead? Bad form, this reminds me of AT&T or PG&E tactics for service.

In other news. still no apology or warning. It seems Staff is above the forum rules and regulations and ethical obligations.

Happy New Year.

I've made the observation that since you guys got rid of that extremely helpful sidebar with all the video content, then only thing I've watched is Zero Punctuation - which is what my Escapist bookmark links me to.

Double A:
I've made the observation that since you guys got rid of that extremely helpful sidebar with all the video content, then only thing I've watched is Zero Punctuation - which is what my Escapist bookmark links me to.

i couldn't even find it for a while... because for some reason it was defaulted on most popular.... I thought he had quit Escapist... considering he made this site what it is. You'd think at least he'd be prema linked to the home page.

Edit: new forum code of conduct? ...guess the thread achieved something!

Kross:

Deviate:
Okay, this is IT. I'm done. Fuck... this... shit...

"Just wait a few days." "Give it a day or two." "We're taking your feedback srsly."

My... ASS!

I paid for PubClub just a few days before this bullshit went live and I want my god damn money back. There's no option for that anywhere in the profile, so will someone tell me how I get them back? I didn't pay for this eyebleeding disaster of a bullshit theme. I didn't pay for a site that loads as if I'm back in fucking 1985. I paid because I wanted to support what WAS a decent site, but then you go ahead and fuck us over for no god damn good reason.

I did not get the product I paid for. Now give me my god damn money back you assholes. (And before you start bitching some more about how much work you're putting into it, yeah I'm not buying that shit. You've had weeks to unfuck this disaster area and you haven't done shit.)

Ahhhhahahaha, sucker!

Reported for:

- Low content post
- name-calling
- Trolling, or otherwise attempting to derail the thread

... Yeah, seriously classy. Why do you have a job again?

When your customers are rude you don't get to just be a dick right back to them, not if you want to stay in business. I am honestly beginning to wonder if some of the escapist staff are actually still in middle school... it would explain a few things.

Edit (Quoted from your own forum guidelines):

Don't Be a Jerk

This rule trumps any other. Any loophole you think you've found in any other rule is covered by this one. If you make our forums a less pleasant place to be, we don't want you here and we have no problem revoking your account. Here are a couple of the things you should stay away from:

Flaming
Calling people names (or groups who may visit The Escapist), this includes calling others a troll.

Trolling
Posting inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Offensive Posts
Please read what you wrote before you post it and think if anyone else could find it offensive.

12th_milkshake:

Double A:

i couldn't even find it for a while... because for some reason it was defaulted on most popular.... I thought he had quit Escapist... considering he made this site what it is. You'd think at least he'd be prema linked to the home page.

Edit: new forum code of conduct? ...guess the thread achieved something!

What the heck are you talking about? My bookmark for the Escapist is http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation, not to the homepage. Yahtzee didn't do an episode over Christmas because it's freaking Christmas.

Okay, I can't possibly read through thirty-five pages, so as well as throwing in my vote of "hate the new design", I'd like to ask for advice on how to actually navigate it?

I honestly don't understand the home page. I just clicked on an extra punctuation link that I thought was new, then realised it was from May. Is the homepage useful at all? This isn't intended as a rhetorical criticism, I'm honestly asking if anyone has found a use for it.

Is there a convenient way to browse for new content any more? I miss the video links down the side, and I'd really like to be able to do something similar. Again, not rhetorical. I've been manually navigating so far, but eventually everything but Zero Punctuation is going to drop off my "things I can be bothered to search for" list...

If anyone has figured out answers to these it'd be a big help, thanks.

CrashTest:

Is there a convenient way to browse for new content any more? I miss the video links down the side, and I'd really like to be able to do something similar. Again, not rhetorical. I've been manually navigating so far, but eventually everything but Zero Punctuation is going to drop off my "things I can be bothered to search for" list...

...There is a video tab at the top of the page which, when hovered over, drops down a list of all the videos in alphabetical order. You then move your mouse cursor to the video series you want to watch and the newest video will be obvious to pick it.

Failing that, just go to the ZP page, bookmark it and return to it every Wednesday.

Backerdem:
derp

Bob Kyuss:
derp

Pleasedpig:
derp

Deviate:
derp

gof22:
It would be nice if later on we are given a choice between the white background or a couple of different colors.

Hiya guys,

The background issue has been addressed. You can now change the colors background, font, and font size. We've tried placing the news about this option in the proper avenues but alas, sometimes things get lost in the mud. Your best bet for keeping track of the on going changes is to keep an eye on the Redeisgn Group and the Tech Team Group (simply join and you'll get a PM when there's a new message/announcement) as it can be a hassle updating things in 5 different places to let ya'll know of new feature we just installed.

Anywho, look forward to hearing suggestions and comments about future updates.

Regards,
The Bieber King (ask me about my title)

ps, I shot Kross in the forehead with my nerf gun for his unkind words. May god have mercy on his soul.

ThyNameIsMud:

Hiya guys,

The background issue has been addressed. You can now change the colors background, font, and font size. We've tried placing the news about this option in the proper avenues but alas, sometimes things get lost in the mud. Your best bet for keeping track of the on going changes is to keep an eye on the Redeisgn Group and the Tech Team Group (simply join and you'll get a PM when there's a new message/announcement) as it can be a hassle updating things in 5 different places to let ya'll know of new feature we just installed.

Yeah... except that we've already pointed out that the so called 'solution' to the background issue does nothing but provide a couple of different shades of eyebleeding. It's broken enough that it doesn't last across different tabs in your browser and even on the 'darker' choice... it still physically hurts to browse the site.

Seriously. Get over your failure to choose a pleasant color palette and add a few that isn't stolen from 30-seconds-at-a-time sites (Facebook being the obvious suspect #1) that can actually get away with it.

Why is it so mindbogglingly hard to face the fact that you fucked up when users literally have to turn down the brightness on their monitors to use the site? This isn't hyperbole. It's not exaggeration. There are users who has to do this just to browse the site... and never on any of their other regular browsing spots.

Simple solution: Add an actual bloody color to the damn sides! Unless of course a 'web development' design decision that isn't a pure facebook ripoff is beyond you.

ps, I shot Kross in the forehead with my nerf gun for his unkind words. May god have mercy on his soul.

Yeah, your dedication to paying customers is an astounding and marvelous thing to behold, I'm sure. Making the mockery slightly more subtle (pointing and laughing is more subtle than flinging poo I guess.) is certainly downright amazing public relations choices. Truly remarkable.

ThyNameIsMud:

Backerdem:
derp

Bob Kyuss:
derp

Pleasedpig:
derp

Deviate:
derp

gof22:
It would be nice if later on we are given a choice between the white background or a couple of different colors.

Hiya guys,

Regards,
The Bieber King (ask me about my title)

I think the natural color is pretty good. I am really liking it. I like the new design of the site.

Deviate:

ThyNameIsMud:

Hiya guys,

Yeah... except that we've already pointed out that the so called 'solution' to the background issue does nothing but provide a couple of different shades of eyebleeding. It's broken enough that it doesn't last across different tabs in your browser and even on the 'darker' choice... it still physically hurts to browse the site.

Seriously. Get over your failure to choose a pleasant color palette and add a few that isn't stolen from 30-seconds-at-a-time sites (Facebook being the obvious suspect #1) that can actually get away with it.

Why is it so mindbogglingly hard to face the fact that you fucked up when users literally have to turn down the brightness on their monitors to use the site? This isn't hyperbole. It's not exaggeration. There are users who has to do this just to browse the site... and never on any of their other regular browsing spots.

Simple solution: Add an actual bloody color to the damn sides! Unless of course a 'web development' design decision that isn't a pure facebook ripoff is beyond you.

Yeah, your dedication to paying customers is an astounding and marvelous thing to behold, I'm sure. Making the mockery slightly more subtle (pointing and laughing is more subtle than flinging poo I guess.) is certainly downright amazing public relations choices. Truly remarkable.

Well, I guess they really went above and beyond the call of duty, since now I can stand to look at the site for almost two minutes, which is better than the 30 seconds I managed previously.

LIke I said, they don't care...if they did, they might add coloured borders or something to mitigate this, but we have seen all the response they care to give. *SIGH*

Is there any chance of an actual poll? Preferably made by someone actually working for the Escapist, as I believe more people would feel obliged to participate. It would probably be helpful even if it only consisted of the question "did you like the old site better". I seem to remember someone made one early on, but it got merged with another thread, and the poll evaporated.
Alternatively, how about another questionnaire like the one we had in November?

Well. My immediate reaction to the change was that the site became uglier, but easier to use. After using it for a few weeks, I can say that I overestimated the usability improvements. The site used to be better in every way before the update: it was nicer, it was better organized, and it was more responsive.

Sassafrass:

CrashTest:

...There is a video tab at the top of the page which, when hovered over, drops down a list of all the videos in alphabetical order. You then move your mouse cursor to the video series you want to watch and the newest video will be obvious to pick it.

Failing that, just go to the ZP page, bookmark it and return to it every Wednesday.

Thanks, but I meant a way to see who had new content without looking at the individual page. I used to follow four or five show on here because you could glance at the homepage to see if they'd updated. I don't want to have to click on all of them everyday just to see if there's anything new.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.336823-Poll-The-Escapists-New-er-Format#13631342

So theres an actual functional poll asking whether you'd prefer changing the site back or not. Why note put up some votes since post count isn't impressing anyone.

Kron_the_mad:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.336823-Poll-The-Escapists-New-er-Format#13631342

So theres an actual functional poll asking whether you'd prefer changing the site back or not. Why note put up some votes since post count isn't impressing anyone.

Ah, thank you, I hadn't seen that thread.

I've been a lurker for quite a while, but I've been visiting the escapist for years (perhaps 6 to 7). I've always liked your guys layout a lot; very eye pleasing and straightforward. To be perfectly honest, you've pulled a Gawker. Kotaku had a GREAT site layout a year-ish ago before they mucked it all up. I respected the escapist for keeping it the same, and essentially "not fixing what isn't broken". The all around white background is hideous and I'm amazed that so many sites these days still abide by such a color scheme. The odds of the site being changed back to its superior layout are very slim, as a lot of time and money were invested in "changing" it, I'm sure. Just know that you changed your sites signature layout and its comfortable appearance to a cluttered, obsolete mess. IMO

Hamhawk:
Official Redesign Group? In other words. It is the Escapist Staff creating a new venue to discuss changes because there is too many complainers here. Why address complaints when you can ignore them instead? Bad form, this reminds me of AT&T or PG&E tactics for service.

In other news. still no apology or warning. It seems Staff is above the forum rules and regulations and ethical obligations.

Happy New Year.

Unfortunately, it's nothing new to this site. The lock any threads that openly discuss the rules as well, with a note telling the concerned parties to handle it in PMs or with the moderators group. They don't like it when their foibles are publicly exposed.

Can we keep the black background after the protest is over? I like it!

M4t3us:
Can we keep the black background after the protest is over? I like it!

Oh that would be fantastic! I just said on another topic that I'm loving this.

A question, to anyone in general, is Bob Kyuss stuck in some strange limbo? He seems to wander between getting warned and banned. Warned, banned, warned and now banned again... I am fairly baffled by this.

Hmm. I stand somewhat humbled and corrected.

As some might remember, somewhere in the last few pages I got very angry and demanded a refund for PubClub, amongst other things. There was cursing and fairly... angry language involved. The response from the staff was fairly mocking. Not very impressive, to say the least, even taking into account my outburst.

However, it seems this isn't representative of the decision-makers. Yesterday I received a refund and a private message from the VP of Production. It wasn't an outright apology, but given my own behaviour I didn't really deserve one anyway. What it did was acknowledge the faults on the part of the Escapist staff who responded and also reach out for reconciliation of sorts. I accept that and thank Greg Lincoln for the gesture.

I still can't stand the look of the Escapist and the site's redesign has ensured that I only come here for ZP (and sometimes LRR) since it still physically hurts to browse, but while delayed, the Escapist did respond to my grievance and refunded my money. For that I thank you and wish you well onwards. A pity that we can't fully reconcile, but I'm too fond of my eyesight for that, heh.

That is good to hear.. at least they put their money where their mouth is. I wish that power hungry brash admin would be disciplined harshly and publicly for his mistreatment but I doubt that will happen.

I have already stopped coming here several times a day and have been averaging about 1-2 times a week and decreasing rapidly. I found other better sources of gaming news that actually care about the community they serve. They also are focuses specifically on videos and trailers.

Thank you for the years of news and service Escapist, however your current theme and admins are driving people away, like me.

Hey, Im not sure when it changed, exactly, but menu text is actually nice and readable now. This is progress.

The new animated slideshow thing in the right column is pretty annoying, though.

PS: Ok, "nice and readable" was an exaggeration, but it does look less bad than it used to.

Seriously guys? Your next big step forward is to remove the Facebook comments from below the video a putting them...it doesn't matter where you put them because I sure as hell am not opening a new page just to look at the comments that you decide to make LESS accessible!!!

Since you guys are obviously determined to completely ruin this once amazing site, I suggest, as your next logical step, to make all the non Pub-club members fill out a quick survey every time they want to watch a video.

Unbelievable!

Pages PREV 1 . . . 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or