Miracle of Sound: Sovngarde Song (Skyrim)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

phoenixbeast:
Absolutely brilliant...Another one goes to the favorites list...Everything fits, the music, the lyrics, the feel...EVERYTHING...Absolutely brilliant...

Edit: And now I've had it on repeat for the last 2 hours...STILL BRILLIANT...Perfect music to have to cram for my final to...

Same goes for me, this will be a great song to study to, as well as to draw to.

This is going to be played almost non-stop for the next few days, because it is absolutely amazing.

It has a tone of sadness to it, but is also quite eerie as well, and this song quite beautiful as well. It also sounds a little bit like Irish music.

I going to let my mom listen to this, and she normally doesn't like my music, because it's usually videogame remixes. Yet, there are a few songs that she does like and many of them a Miracle of Sound. I'm pretty sure she'll like this, it would seem to fit into the type of music she likes.

This is now one of my top 10 favorite songs to listen to.

Fantastic Job, keep up the good work.

You've just convinced me to flip the bird to the empire and join the stormcloaks.
What they permit the godamn Thalmor to do is unforgivable.

I got really freaked out and upset by their torture camp up in the hills above Solitude...

Gav, that was amazing- so much heart went into that :D
I think I'll have another listen and then play Skyrim!

Sometimes, I dream of the mists of Sovnegarde....

Awesome job there, Gav.
No, it didn't take me this long to find it (while I agree it was semi-present for a pretty damn long time after the changes to the site and whatnot), I was just busy listening to it and couldn't get myself to post until just now. Just plain friggin awesome!

Definitely one of my favorites, along with some of the other recent ones. Keep it up, Gav, keep it up.

That said .... Power Metal <3

When do we get a second "Press X To Rock!" ?
Hurry up and take my money, damnit!
If I'm away from catchy games-related songs, I get the shakes...

Hahaha this is fucking awesome, reminds me of Rhapsody. Well done sir!

Speaking as a dane, i really think you captured the spirit of old nordic songs.
And of course the song as a whole was great aswell, one of the better songs you have made (according to me).

A Curious Fellow:

Susan Arendt:

A Curious Fellow:
See, this is the prime reason I think the new site layout is a huge misstep: This has been up for an hour, (that's a whole hour and yet only an hour, but it's neither sitting pretty on the front page nor attracting any comments) and it's a main site feature... and yet I had to go SEARCHING the site to find it. There's something wrong with that. An update for a prime feature doesn't belong buried in a dropdown menu.

And I only knew to look for it because the facebook app notified me.

Actually, it went up late today due to some technical difficulties. So it wasn't that you couldn't find it - it was that it wasn't there (for which we apologize, naturally).

This is my favorite Miracle of Sound song to date. I pretty much just put it on repeat and listen to it all day.

Hi again Susan.

I agree about the song. It reminds me of Enter the Haggis, actually.

About the site issues: if that's so, then never mind, I was wrong. But while I have your ear, so to speak, why is the new design so white and sparse? I feel like I'm reading writing on the wall of Purgatory, and I still feel like I have to pull teeth to get the site to give me what I used to take for granted. It was easier for something to catch my eye when the content was all up in my face and I wasn't squinting.

I don't mean to seem ungrateful for the product of hard work, but the site seems.... Wii-i-fied.

I don't want to derail this thread with discussion about the redesign, so let me just say two things: the changes we made were in response to a LOT of commentary about how clunky and awkward the old site was, and we're taking everyone's feedback about the new site into consideration. :)

"The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
He laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet.
Johnny said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
"I done told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been.
"

You are a man of talent, and I can't really add anything to the praise that you've already recived. You're awesome.

Even though it was suspiciously like a propaganda piece for those filthy Stormcloak dogs it was a nice piece. Good job, for a traitor. :P

A Curious Fellow:
See, this is the prime reason I think the new site layout is a huge misstep: This has been up for an hour, (that's a whole hour and yet only an hour, but it's neither sitting pretty on the front page nor attracting any comments) and it's a main site feature... and yet I had to go SEARCHING the site to find it. There's something wrong with that. An update for a prime feature doesn't belong buried in a dropdown menu.

And I only knew to look for it because the facebook app notified me.

Totally. I had to go looking for Feed Dump the other day. Its impossible to find things that have recently been posted.

I was liking it until they started singing. A pity but for me it ruins the entire thing and I can't yet being myself to finish it. Best one still goes to new black gold/bioshock/dragon age

I might actually like this song better than "I Suck at CoD."
It might be because I'm a big fan of old school Genesis (back with Peter Gabriel) and you must have been channeling them. How the beginning sounds like old folk music being played on "grandpas guitars" and then starts rocking; I love that.

Like this one at 3:00-

This song is almost as epic as Supper's Ready (which does have an additional 17 mins of track time) and that's saying something. Easily as epic as The Musical Box.
I just hope there were huge dragon costumes and horned helmets involved in the recording.

I found this song to be quite excellent, just truly brilliant, and a great piece of music to be coming back to after finals.

But I have one problem with it. I am not a musical type person, so take this worth a grain of salt, but, honestly, I found the metal part of the song to be lacking and not really fitting of the game in question. It was great, but the first part, the more gentle, er.. epic fantasy part of the song gave me goosebumps. It reminded me of the game and the vast amounts of time I've spent in it. Between that section, the video, and my memories of the game, the song was absolutely, fantastically brilliant. When it shifted to the metal section, however, it lost that brilliance, that emotional connection I had to the game. That section was still great, and the song was magnificent as a whole, but when the song changed over it was almost... jarring. It just lost me.

Not the New Black Gold, but pretty damn close. I think I'm going to loop this after I get back tonight...

Edit: To clarify, I love the melody and rhythm of the metal section, I just find that the moment the electric instruments come into play and the lyrics go loud that I feel that disconnect.

MiracleOfSound:

Unabletothinkofname:
On a scale of brilliant to brilliant this is somewhere in the OHMYGOD AAAH

This is definitely your best song yet, I've had it on repeat since I heard it first. :D

Seems to be the consensus. What a relief! So glad people are digging it, I almost gave myself a meltdown making it :D

I don't know what you would be worried about because you always come out with awesome songs. Sure there's gonna be a few haters, but most of us love your work.

teh_gunslinger:
Even though it was suspiciously like a propaganda piece for those filthy Stormcloak dogs it was a nice piece. Good job, for a traitor. :P

The funny thing is, the song is just about the Nords in general and their way of life, as well as a little bit about Dohvakiin's story. It's politically neutral!

It's Justin who's the Stormcloak supporter haha :P

MiracleOfSound:

teh_gunslinger:

The funny thing is, the song is just about the Nords in general and their way of life, as well as a little bit about Dohvakiin's story. It's politically neutral!

Well, I just found the line about,

"These men of the north they have suffered too long
The anger it swells in their veins"

to be pro Ulfric. :P

As I said, I think it was a good song. Just had to poke some fun as well.

I like the change in pace you made and it reminded me a bit of the style Iron Maiden uses to tell their stories. And possible Amon Amarth as well.

salinv:

But I have one problem with it. I am not a musical type person, so take this worth a grain of salt, but, honestly, I found the metal part of the song to be lacking and not really fitting of the game in question.
Edit: To clarify, I love the melody and rhythm of the metal section, I just find that the moment the electric instruments come into play and the lyrics go loud that I feel that disconnect.

As music is completely subjective I can happily say that's perfectly fine with me.

However, in defence of the metal(-ish) part, I believe personally no other music style better captures and reflects the Viking, Nordic spirit and soul.

There's even an entire genre devoted to it: (edited cos I screwed up the link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_metal

When you think about it, metal and electric guitars are no more historically inappropriate to ancient Nordic warriors than a Western Orchestra playing classical music. If anything they are MORE in tune with that spirit, being loud, brutal, chaotic and full of channelled aggression.

Incredible work as per the usual. Keep making awesome music man!

My god...Miracle, you sexymanbeast, all I have to say is FUCK YES.
I think this kicked Minin' All Day Long right off its perch as my favorite of your songs.
I remember you saying you wanted to wait to do justice to the game, and...fuck, you did.
Well done. VERY well done.

MiracleOfSound:

Hey now, I just went with the imagery I thought fit best. My Skyrim character thinks both sides are dicks for constantly wanting to put me in prison for liberating their valuables. If they hadn't wanted them stolen then they should have installed better locks.

Slycne:

MiracleOfSound:

Hey now, I just went with the imagery I thought fit best. My Skyrim character thinks both sides are dicks for constantly wanting to put me in prison for liberating their valuables. If they hadn't wanted them stolen then they should have installed better locks.

Haha, my guy thinks they're dicks too. Well, the Thalmor are dicks. But Ulfric is a petulant manchild. Kinda hard choice.

And the imagery fits perfectly don't worry ;)

God I wish the bards in Skyrim sung like this in Skyrim...And this song! It would add an extra edge of awesome to an already awesome game.

This song is simply amazing as usual. Definitely among my favorites of your work.

One little detail that I loved was your choice of shout to use during the one small segment of growling. While other, lesser artists would have pandered to the memes and used Fus Ro Dah, you chose to go with Yol Toor Shul.

Keep up the good work Gav!

MiracleOfSound:

SirBryghtside:
I love it :) If I have one complaint, it's that the voice chorus-ing sounds a little artificial, but otherwise it's amazing.

It's not actually - I sang it all in, 24 separate vocal tracks. If it sounds chorused I'll take that as a compliment as it means I synced them well. ;)

...actually, after a couple more listens (this song REALLY deserves them), it sounds absolutely fine!

But... I guess what I'm getting at is that just because it wasn't made artificially, it doesn't mean that it can't sound artificial. Take the Morrowind theme as the opposite end of the spectrum - it sounds SO MUCH like a live orchestra it's really surprising when you find out that Jeremy Soule, previous to the Skyrim soundtrack, operated solely on a synthetic orchestra.

...yeah.

On an entirely unrelated note, are you sure doomful is a word? :P

It's sad that I know pretty much every location in the video...

SirBryghtside:

On an entirely unrelated note, are you sure doomful is a word? :P

Uh, yeah. I'm sure.

Neonbob:
My god...Miracle, you sexymanbeast, all I have to say is FUCK YES.
I think this kicked Minin' All Day Long right off its perch as my favorite of your songs.
I remember you saying you wanted to wait to do justice to the game, and...fuck, you did.
Well done. VERY well done.

Thanks Bob! It's been quite a relief seeing the response to this one ;)

Truly excellent, the transitions from folk song to rock and back work really well for Skyrim's world. I'll admit this just makes me more angry that I'm still in Europe, and therefore the higher price tag is turning me away from this game right now...but...want it...so much...

You probably should have layered the voices about 20 more times. As it is it sounds like a bar-bound bunch of weekenders in southern Vermont trying to stir up a crowd of people in town for a medieval beer fest.

Add a nordic accent prompt, too.

It is now officially friday for me and i've been listening pretty much exclusively to this song for all this time.
This is gonna be just like The New Black Gold for me, i guess - one straight week on nothing but it.

Here's to hoping you'll become world-famous some day. Cheers, Gav.

Nailed it, Gavin. Fucking nailed it. This was truly epic. I have to wonder though, some where in time, will you be able to top this? There's a challenge for you.

Boba Frag:
You've just convinced me to flip the bird to the empire and join the stormcloaks.
What they permit the godamn Thalmor to do is unforgivable.

I got really freaked out and upset by their torture camp up in the hills above Solitude...

Gav, that was amazing- so much heart went into that :D
I think I'll have another listen and then play Skyrim!

Sometimes, I dream of the mists of Sovnegarde....

Note: What they permit the Thalmor to do is so that the Thalmor won't destroy them and do much, much worse.

Still, both sides can go chat with Malacath for all I care.

Excellent song, Miracle. Truly fantastic, and seems to fit Skyrim and how morbid it can feel quite well.

Perhaps you are the rightful High Kind.

I get that the game was Skyrim, and therefore there was quite a bit of pressure for our friend Gavin to really deliver something big and epic to fit with the game and appease the audience.

That said, while I felt that the song was fitting to the game, I also felt that the song itself was a bit of a mess. The strings and the rock riffs came out of nowhere, instrumental segments that repeat themselves a little too much and the lyrics were more word-salady than they usually are.

It wasn't trash per say (I would have pointed this out more bluntly if I believed otherwise) but it isn't exactly trumping my favourites from MoS either. Again, we all know the shit-storm that would have come if Gavin grossly missed the mark on this, so I get the feeling that he went over the top as he did for that reason alongside the fact that Skyrim is an epic game that needs an epic-sounding song to go with it. It didn't miss the mark in that it wasn't fitting to the game (I know I'm repeating myself) it just felt like it went overboard, and it had the problems that going to over the top brings.

It could be a matter of taste as everyone else seems to really be digging the song. I just remember my top three from Gavin (Normandy, Sweet LA and New Black Gold) and just how pretty the lyrics were, how fitting the tune was, and how everything just conveyed the mood and narrative of the games and Gavin's take on the experience of playing them. The usual heart and soul just felt... missing I guess, or just buried under the 'epicness' of the Sovngarde Song.

I've been a fan since Age of the Dragon and likely will be a fan for a while. This just felt like this could have been better.

Though it was nice it didn't focus on Dragons.

Are you a genius? Cause i think you are.

Random berk:
Nailed it, Gavin. Fucking nailed it. This was truly epic. I have to wonder though, some where in time, will you be able to top this? There's a challenge for you.

Meh... people said the same about Commander Shepard, New Black Gold, Redemption Blues, Age Of The Dragon, Sweet L.A. etc etc...

I'm not too worried ;)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or