Escape to the Movies: War Horse

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Over/Under 5 Oscars for this?

then why did he make transformers?

Apparently is not in Ireland, its in Devon.

I'll just leave this here

http://theoatmeal.com/story/eat_horses

Definitely doesn't start in Ireland.
Weird, I got fed up after Joey's was captured for the first time, leaving my family to watch the rest.The opening scenes were like someone took every cliché about turn of the century England and glued them together, combined with overacting - the only thing that jumped into my head was the reference in Tropic Thunder to one character's disastrous film called "Simple Jack", the tale of a mentally handicapped boy who can interact with animals. Scenes such as the faithful country lad jumping in front of the shotgun (for a horse, remember), or the alcoholic father being carefully shown the error of his ways and dissolving in tears just in no way worked- they either seemed overacted as hell, or downright stupid.

The familial reaction was undisguised irritation and/or dislike, with accusations of it being far too corny, the attempts at making you feel emotion being so mechanical and clunky that it was almost yelling "BE SAD NOW", the portrayal of the war being simply bad, and the film as a whole being tacky and awful. In summary: don't see it.

By the way, this is coming from someone who read and enjoyed the book when younger (read it, or if you can go see the play- just don't see the film), has read a fair few historical books and indeed memoirs about WW1 and is genuinely interested in the setting- if you want a good book that does a better job (albeit more adult than War Horse) of looking at the sadness of the war, try Somme Mud by Edward Lynch (mostly-autobiographical, well written, fascinating).

Edit:I understand the whole "innocent being is thrust into the middle of man made terror and misery" plot, but its just not very well done here. Then again, I'm a cynical git. It did however manage to make my little sister weep endlessly, so I suppose mission re. small girls was accomplished. Oh, and John Williams' "epic" (seems the best description) score just reinforces the ham-handedness with which it was done.

The Cheezy One:

BakedZnake:
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2

...What? Are you being sarcastic? Germany did have tanks in WW1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_I_tanks_of_Germany

BabySinclair:

BakedZnake:
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2

Germany had tanks in WWI. Now tanks only entered the battlefield in 1916 and Germany never really had that many but they did exist.

Yureina:

BakedZnake:

Germany did have tanks in WW1, though most of them were captured British tanks.

He was being sarcastic. Everyone knows radar was "discovered" before WW2.

Anyway, I just had the chance to watch this movie the other day, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The scene between the German and British soldiers in no-man's-land was particularly powerful, but so was the reunion scene shortly afterwards.
It's not an amazing, original film - you can see most of the plot twists (if indeed they are twists) coming, and because it's a Steven Spielberg film (who is apparently so famous that his name is in Firefox's spellchecker dictionary) you know it's going to have one of those tear-jerking happy endings.

Still, it was an enjoyable experience while it lasted.

Oh, and Captcha: swan song. Let's hope that's not that case, huh?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here