Escape to the Movies: Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I honesly didn't know this existed until a few minutes ago I have absolutly 0 intrest in it. Parts of it honestly sound funny, but I have a pathological hatred for 'scatological' humor and that discription you gave of ne of the movie's set pieces has made me want to avoid this movie like the plague.

Marmooset:
You didn't review this week's site-sponsored release?
On the other hand, that may be part of the agreement.

The Escapist hasn't reached the level of Journalistic FAIL that GameSpot has, but that may yet still happen.

Keep it classy, People.

RJ 17:
Didn't even watch the review...I've sworn never to watch anything involving those to just horribly...indescribably stupid jackasses. Seriously though, I challenge anyone to accurately describe who/what their target audience is without saying "the types of freaks that get stuffed into lockers or perform school shootings" because those two are obvious.

It's for fans of surreal humor, and until reading this thread, I had no idea so many people hated it. It's definitely my favorite kind of humor.

Mydogisblue:

RJ 17:
Didn't even watch the review...I've sworn never to watch anything involving those to just horribly...indescribably stupid jackasses. Seriously though, I challenge anyone to accurately describe who/what their target audience is without saying "the types of freaks that get stuffed into lockers or perform school shootings" because those two are obvious.

It's for fans of surreal humor, and until reading this thread, I had no idea so many people hated it. It's definitely my favorite kind of humor.

No. Surreal humor is that which is found in the anime/manga Bobobo-bobo-Bobobo. Tim and Eric is for people that find having crap and vomit smeared across faces is funny. There's nothing "surreal" about that...it's humor based on being disgusting and bordline homoerotic.

And yeah, I won't judge you or the people you talk to...but I've never heard of a "group" of Tim and Eric fans. Everyone I've ever met that has seen the show says it's absolutely horrible and was the herald of the downfall of Adult Swim when the show first came out.

I'd rather see a review of The Hunger Games. Jeesh, Tim and Eric are the fucking worst. They're the reason adult swim brought on saul of the mole men, and all that other stupid shit that's just a bunch of stoners laughing at their own jokes. At least they still have venture bros.

CronoT:
I took one look at the Movie Title for this week, and said to myself, "Oh God, this is going to hurt."

Sadly, I was right.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Tom Goes to the Mayor. It was wacky and oddball. Their current show, however, makes me want to scrub my eyes with bleach and baking soda.

Agreed, I actually liked Tom Goes to the Mayor, it had an interesting style, and the humor had a consistency to it that I could get behind.

Tim and Eric: Great Job though? Horrid. The humor falls completely flat for me, and the only times I see any glimpses of humor, its from John C Reilly or some of the other extras, and its managed to make me feel some sense of hatred towards Weird Al for him being in the show, multiple times even.
Every joke just feels re-used to me too. Oh hey its fat ugly lady who has crush on fat ugly man in office environment, lets see how many times we can make the same joke about the same situation.

Admittedly, that isn't entirely the case with the show, as I have forced myself to watch more than a my fair share of episodes (in part thanks to nothing else being on at the time), but it all just ends up blending together into some faceless blob of crap memory.

The only reason I'd ever see this movie, would be just for Reilly and other parts, though I ain't paying money. I'll wait til the disaster hits youtube so I can just see what I want to see.

Also Bob, just saying, but as an internet goer, this movie can't show me anything worse than what I've already been exposed to. Just saying.

Srkkl:
Tim and Eric are [ ... ] the reason adult swim brought on saul of the mole men, and all that other stupid shit [ ... ]

Thank thine stars of fortune that you didn't grow up during the 1970's, when Saturday morning children's television fare included H.R. Pufnstuf, Lidsville, The Bugaloos, The Krofft Supershow, and Ark II. These form part of the satirical foundation for Saul of The Mole Men.

Unfortunately, SoTMM's funniest bit is at the very beginning of the very first episode.

Huh. Out of interest, I just looked them up. Seems their kind of humour just doesn't resonate with me. Very slapsticky, very visual, very "American" in a way (not a bad thing, just a genre of comedy that I could never really understand).

And there goes any remaining hope I might have had for the Lorax film.

They've got nothing on Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Man, I haven't see that show in ages.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but this is one movie that is safe from me. Sorry, guys. I'm one of the people that hated their shows.

The show reminds me of another show on Adult Swim.

Bleach.

Specifically, the amount I would need to consume to find the show funny.

(The above tortured metaphor was shallow and stupid, an obvious nod to the criminally unfunny Tim and Eric)

I just saw this. No movie has ever made me laugh as much or cry as much as this movie

You quite literally had me with, "and the food quart is patrolled by a wolf."
I have to see this movie.

Monsterfurby:
Huh. Out of interest, I just looked them up. Seems their kind of humour just doesn't resonate with me. Very slapsticky, very visual, very "American" in a way (not a bad thing, just a genre of comedy that I could never really understand).

They want to freak you out. Thats their schtick

Well I've never really liked their stuff. The thing is I SHOULD like it. I like their kind of humour, I just think they're boring.

I watched an episode of Tom goes to the Mayor once.

After the show I thought, " Tim and Eric, huh, they must be related to the owners of Adult Swim, because no one in their right mind would think these two idiots are funny enough to be on television"

Then I saw that Tim and Eirc had been given another show. I didn't watch it, but I thought, " Tim and Eric must BE the owners of Adult Swim, because no television exec would give their retarded relatives a second chance to make a horrible show".

Annnd now I find out that there are people who actually think Tim and Eric are funny. That's truly depressing.

Oh, and Movie Bob, all respect credits you earned with me (like your appreciation for comics and MST3K ) have been nullified by saying you like Tim and Eric. You have been demoted from " movie critic I mostly agree with" to " eats paste, should be wearing a helmet, and sometimes comments on movies"

Saltyk:
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but this is one movie that is safe from me. Sorry, guys. I'm one of the people that hated their shows.

Actually the minority are the ones who find it funny, most people hate the show.

When I first saw the movie poster, I thought Flight of the Conchords made a movie :/

Oh my God, I love Tim and Eric. I honestly believe they are the two funniest men alive. Fuck this ipad I want to watch so bad...

ANImaniac89:

Dinnerman:
I love how everybody hates Tim and Eric, but can't articulate it. Tell me WHY you hate Tim and Eric. Don't just say "it sux lololol".

I, for one, think Tim and Eric are fucking hilarious.

There "humor" is based on simple annoying repulsive gross out moments that frequently border on the homophobic and tasteless, Anti-humor is not funny even when done well (which they don't). They get whatever washed up hack/failure "celebrity" ( Weird Al, Marilyn Manson, Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt, Jeff Goldblum, David Cross the list goes on) that they can find to do pointless shit and make it seem like they have some kind of deep cult following (which I prey to God they don't).
In the end all it is is a waste of time and money. There Style doesn't even work in 15 minutes intervals, so adding another 75+ minutes to it in my mind could qualify as lite torture. And Yes I've seen the damn movie (a friend made me watch it after I lost a bet)
The scene that Moviebob couldn't put into Family friendly terms that was inter-cut with the "sex" scene is of Tim in a bathtub being shit on(which in retrospect kinda sums up how I feel about them) Truly these men are deep visionary's with there fingers on the pulse of comedy.
Look I know humor is subjective and that everyone has there own opinions on what they think is funny or not. But ever since the first episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor up until a few hours ago I had yet to find ANYONE who legitimately found them to be funny or entertaining. And now the revelation that not only do you people exist but are willing to defend them. Well it makes me fear for the future and the damage your kind will do to the gene pool.

The thing is that you have to watch enough of it to understand it, then find it funny. I hated it at first, but now they're my idols. Yeah, at first it seems, awful, but once you get the humor, you can't stop laughing.

FelixG:
Wow Movie bob likes Tim and Eric? I just lost...pretty much all respect I had for him.

I mean...fuck, how can I trust a persons reviews who has that horrible of a taste in comedy? :\

Tim and Eric are likely one of the worst things to happen to Adult Swim. It used to be pretty damn good, but it has just been shit rolling down hill

You know, honestly I would rather see My Little Pony on adult swim instead of Tim and Eric and Delocated, for fucks sake its called CARTOON network.

I think people are getting on Bob to much for his tastes in comedy. At least he's honest about what he likes thus explained why. For me, i'd rather have a honest reviewer or movie critic then someone who talks only to gain favor the the community.

But I shall not lie ether- I really dislike Tim and Eric's show on Adult Swim as well. Mainly because their comedy revolves around humor that's sort of repulsive and downright disturbing sometimes. Not as in horror but like.. very creepy or not pretty to look at disturbance. Anyhow, I just wanted to say that.

Also why would MLP be on Adult Swim? Lol it has nothing adult themed about it (but I get what you meant by that. I'm perfectly okay with that just wanted to ask since it was funny to me.) Oh and yeah.. most shows on Adult Swim now are going for what Disney is doing.. real world comedy. Despise all of it pretty much.

I liked Tom Goes to the Mayor. Haven't seen much of T&EASGJ, but the few clips I have seen were good. Then again the jokes were really gross out or anything like that. I've seen the 'shoes' one which, while stupid, got a chuckle, and another couple I can't remember right now. But it sounds like this isn't something I'd enjoy.

Caramel Frappe:

FelixG:
Wow Movie bob likes Tim and Eric? I just lost...pretty much all respect I had for him.

I mean...fuck, how can I trust a persons reviews who has that horrible of a taste in comedy? :\

Tim and Eric are likely one of the worst things to happen to Adult Swim. It used to be pretty damn good, but it has just been shit rolling down hill

You know, honestly I would rather see My Little Pony on adult swim instead of Tim and Eric and Delocated, for fucks sake its called CARTOON network.

I think people are getting on Bob to much for his tastes in comedy. At least he's honest about what he likes thus explained why. For me, i'd rather have a honest reviewer or movie critic then someone who talks only to gain favor the the community.

But I shall not lie ether- I really dislike Tim and Eric's show on Adult Swim as well. Mainly because their comedy revolves around humor that's sort of repulsive and downright disturbing sometimes. Not as in horror but like.. very creepy or not pretty to look at disturbance. Anyhow, I just wanted to say that.

Also why would MLP be on Adult Swim? Lol it has nothing adult themed about it (but I get what you meant by that. I'm perfectly okay with that just wanted to ask since it was funny to me.) Oh and yeah.. most shows on Adult Swim now are going for what Disney is doing.. real world comedy. Despise all of it pretty much.

Well, I think his tastes, even if he attempted to explain them, give insight into what he finds good. Also I really find it funny that he harps on Transformers fans and calls them subhuman yet likes Tim and Eric, wut?

MLP has a far larger number of fans than tim and eric, and it may not be adult themed but its viewer base is fairly large in the 15-35 range. It is also animated, which fits in with the whole, you know, cartoon network thing, after all they dont call it 'crappy live action' network.

Well... he also liked Sucker Punch.

FelixG:
Well, I think his tastes, even if he attempted to explain them, give insight into what he finds good. Also I really find it funny that he harps on Transformers fans and calls them subhuman yet likes Tim and Eric, wut?

MLP has a far larger number of fans than tim and eric, and it may not be adult themed but its viewer base is fairly large in the 15-35 range. It is also animated, which fits in with the whole, you know, cartoon network thing, after all they dont call it 'crappy live action' network.

True he did sort of (when I say sort of, it's more like positively) called out the Transformers thus the fans that liked the movies. Then again, they really could of been better or least had someone replace the director. I mean, I liked the first Transformers. However, the 2nd one was just flat out bad for me because the Transformers got little screen time plus the characters along with the plot were all just thrown in there without any .. depth put into it if you know what I mean.

Besides that, I agree with you about MLP. Yet, to me Adult Swim is mainly about shows aiming for adults with actual adult humor. Even though it has an older audience loving the show, it's still not qualified for the type of network Adult Swim is I believe. Also the Hub would not tolerate that as well sadly lol.

What gets to me is that Adult Swim has these shows with dark humor now, and not the good written ones. Like squidbillies, aqua team, and other shows.. they seem to be trying to hard to force the people to laugh at such matters. I miss the good shows along with the anime Adult Swim used to show every week *sigh*.

The longest thing I can stand from this duo is some of the commercials they did for Old Spice. I could not imagine being exposed to them for 90 minutes in a dark room.

Caramel Frappe:

FelixG:

True he did sort of (when I say sort of, it's more like positively) called out the Transformers thus the fans that liked the movies. Then again, they really could of been better or least had someone replace the director. I mean, I liked the first Transformers. However, the 2nd one was just flat out bad for me because the Transformers got little screen time plus the characters along with the plot were all just thrown in there without any .. depth put into it if you know what I mean.

Besides that, I agree with you about MLP. Yet, to me Adult Swim is mainly about shows aiming for adults with actual adult humor. Even though it has an older audience loving the show, it's still not qualified for the type of network Adult Swim is I believe. Also the Hub would not tolerate that as well sadly lol.

What gets to me is that Adult Swim has these shows with dark humor now, and not the good written ones. Like squidbillies, aqua team, and other shows.. they seem to be trying to hard to force the people to laugh at such matters. I miss the good shows along with the anime Adult Swim used to show every week *sigh*.

Actually, he didnt just insult the movies recently, he actively insulted the fan base, which I dont mind him not liking he movie but calling the people who like it idiots is crossing a bit of a line for a professional critic, but now that I know he likes T and E I am not surprised.

I wouldn't say Adult swim is targeted at adult humor really though, it is targeted at juvenile humor the most of the time. There humor isnt even really that dark, its just...bland and boring with some disturbing sub tones. I have yet to see one of their live action shows that was entertaining in any way, it took a while for aqua teen to grow on me, same with squidbillies, but the live action stuff they make is just...crap.

I used to watch Adult Swim every single night I had off, now adays I find reruns of castle on my DVR more rewarding to watch, even the ones I have seen 5-6 times.

Now I understand why he says every other comedy movie he reviews is not funny. Actually going to go watch those: the sitter, etc. If you think tim and eric is funny, everything else must be too mainstream. Bob probably liked T&E before it was cool too.

Dinnerman:
I love how everybody hates Tim and Eric, but can't articulate it. Tell me WHY you hate Tim and Eric. Don't just say "it sux lololol".

I, for one, think Tim and Eric are fucking hilarious.

Comedy is just one of those things that for some people, just doesn't work. It's far too difficult and diverse a concept that everything thought to be comedy will be funny for everyone. Reasons are not required where comedy is concerned, especially surrealist comedy.

While I did like the show in small bite sized pieces, I don't think I could stomach a full movie. It's not because it was bad or anything, it was for the most part very good. The thing is, I just found it to be way too depressing to watch at any length.

Pass. I couldn't stand to watch a single episode of that swill, and at the behest of annoying friends, I've tried several times. It literally grated on my very being that someone could find it, in any way, funny. Every aesthetic about it was like as if my eyes were being slowly pulled over a rusty cheese grater. The editing felt like someone ate the whole film, then rolled down a hill before throwing up the garbled, mangled nonsense. "Oooh, it's awkward!" and "oooh, it's gross!" can be reasonable ways to set up humor, but pointing at a turd and saying "eww, it's a turd, bet you weren't expecting that, now watch someone eat it!" is, at it's very best, trying to appeal to the lowest form of intelligence, sensibility, and sapience.

Fuck that nonsense. If I want surreal humor, I'll go rewatch Flying Circus, where competent people have handled the entire affair, and it's not just about how gross something can become.

I've only seen snippets of Tim and Eric Awesome Show. I recall enjoying it, but it was just another Adult Swim 10-minutes-and-it's-over, short attention span-friendly quick-paced comedy that didn't linger so much on anything. I can't actually imagine anything even remotely attached to the Awesome Show formula would work very well at feature-length.

Still, I like what I've seen of their sense of humour. I think, that it's polarized so many people is signal that it's working. That said, I'm deeply cynical and largely a fan of pitch-black humour, and a lot of their stuff is incredibly stoic and confusing, which I am completely okay with. I can see quite clearly how it could come off as lazy and stupid.

Say it ain't so, Bob!

Tim and Eric aren't funny, they are not Andy Kaufman, and the only time their shows are funny is when they have real comedians guest star.

Wonder Showzen and Kids in the Hall did it all better than them.

I think we all need to ask ourselves this: How the hell do they still have jobs and a show?!

Seriously, the pure idiocy in their sketches is just ridiculous. Anytime I see their show come on, I switch the channel immediately. I don't care about it being gross or whatever, it's just how stupid they can be. Likewise with many other people, I have no idea who their target audience is other than constant stoners and people with the equivalent I.Q. of a 3 year old.

I just wish we had the old cartoon network back, it was so much more enjoyable. This new crap is mentally exhausting.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here