Trailers: Dishonored Debut Official Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Blargh. I came here for a decent game that seemed similar to Thief. I love Garret as a character. Garret IS stealth and his marginally techy/magical tools are there to purely enhance his stealth.

This "Dishonored" guy is running around shooting, swording, and magicing everything. It's a 'stealth' game the same way Uncharted is a 'stealth' game. It's there, but not the main focus.

It looks like it has "steampunk" for the sake of being "steampunk". Nothing makes sense, and nothing really matters.

The Thief franchise had it right all along. Waiting for Thief 4.

looks dam cool for a video and im always glad to see some new IP. I'm looking forward to seeing some more from this. Though its already been said I'm also hoping it wont be another Dead Island.

The Wykydtron:
Y'know killing that random guy without the prerequisite "Nyaha! I have you now Lonestar! Prepare to die!" only makes me realise how much I miss it when it's gone...

Still having time stop powers seems cool. Hopefully they'll have a better energy system in place than Human Revolution. Eat sweets to win. Seems legit.

And i've never found 1st person platforming to be an issue, I don't need to be able to see my legs to properly line up a jump. Shocking!

I admit the whole sweets thing in Deus Ex seems a bit far fetched, but it's actually not as much so as u may think............

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/blood-battery1.htm

This game looks good if it could spell it's title correctly

Well its not skyrim DLC...

But I'm interested anyway.

Absolutionis:
Blargh. I came here for a decent game that seemed similar to Thief. I love Garret as a character. Garret IS stealth and his marginally techy/magical tools are there to purely enhance his stealth.

This "Dishonored" guy is running around shooting, swording, and magicing everything. It's a 'stealth' game the same way Uncharted is a 'stealth' game. It's there, but not the main focus.

It looks like it has "steampunk" for the sake of being "steampunk". Nothing makes sense, and nothing really matters.

It seems Steampunk/Fictional Victorian is pretty important to the setting. May not the Steampunk Classic, but people complain about that anyway.

I'm with you on the Stealth bit. Action Stealth hybrids bother me so much, if that dude has so much power he probably could of just knocked on the front door and went on from there (a la Assassin's Creed). But who knows, it may play more Stealthy.

rdaleric:

The Wykydtron:
Y'know killing that random guy without the prerequisite "Nyaha! I have you now Lonestar! Prepare to die!" only makes me realise how much I miss it when it's gone...

Still having time stop powers seems cool. Hopefully they'll have a better energy system in place than Human Revolution. Eat sweets to win. Seems legit.

And i've never found 1st person platforming to be an issue, I don't need to be able to see my legs to properly line up a jump. Shocking!

I admit the whole sweets thing in Deus Ex seems a bit far fetched, but it's actually not as much so as u may think............

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/blood-battery1.htm

Oh i'm sure the super awesome cyberpunk companies of 2027 have found a way to stuff those sweets with enough robo-energy to choke a supercomputer rather easily. XD

Yet there's always something funny about super badass Jensen cowering behind a vending machine franticly fiddling with a sweet wrapper, wolfing it down then immediately blowing up the entire room with just a cool spinny pose (and several hundred high speed ball bearings)

wolf thing:
apart from it not begin steampuck because every thing in it is clearly electrically powered it looks pretty cool, hope the gameplay matches what was shown

Well it clearly wasn't steampuck but it is still steampunk.
Well electric power doesn't go against a steampunk setting as it was very much the new wonder product of the Victorian time. If the electric energy is generated through coal or other such menas it would be very in keeping with the time period (though there will probably be some made up super energy source). Steampunk is defined just by the science behind the tech but also the visual style.

For example many "diselpunk" settings will make use of steampower but due to the context/visual style it is clearly still diselpunk (e.g. Mad Max, Tank Girl etc...)

OT: Have been looking forward to this game for a while and now want it even more.

JokerboyJordan:

Well i'm sure they'll add the "U" in for the European release amirite!? It's not like that has ever been neglected before right?

Oh...

Steampunk Assassin's Creed with magic? This has the potential to be the Best Thing Ever.

Not real stealthy in the video. I hope you can actually play the game 100% stealthy it always bugged me about assassins creed, most the kills you have to do in broad daylight and stuff. Never really felt a lot like an assassin more like a crazed butcher.

Still assassins creed has had a lot of impact, when he killed his 'target' in this video I was surprised when there wasn't some sort of extended monologue.

Absolutionis:

synobal:
Not real stealthy in the video. I hope you can actually play the game 100% stealthy it always bugged me about assassins creed, most the kills you have to do in broad daylight and stuff. Never really felt a lot like an assassin more like a crazed butcher.

Still assassins creed has had a lot of impact, when he killed his 'target' in this video I was surprised when there wasn't some sort of extended monologue.

You'll be able to go full stealth if you want to (it's an immersive sim). In fact, it's far more encouraged - this is simply showing a few different manifestations of combining the game's abilities.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/30/dishonored-allows-pure-stealth-no-kill-approach/

Finally a decent stealth game! Not since Thief 2 have I been this excited :D The world looks very cool, almost like the combine invasion during victorian times. I can't wait :D

well im intrested tho i am disturbed by the lack of steam.
off topic i hope the reviewers understand that bethesda PUBLISHES IT! brink, demons forge and other games the reviewers completly ignore who made the game and give all the praise to bethesda.

O_O *drools* Oh my sweet frapplejacks, that looks fantasticabulous! *crosses fingers* Here's hoping that the game will actually match those stunning visuals and gripping action...

If nothing else, I appreciate the protagonist having a succinct response to a villain saying "killing me won't solve anything!"

I enjoyed the trailer, but it seemed a lot too Bioshock-esque. It has peaked my interest, nonetheless.

Freechoice:
Revenge solves everything.

I liked that.

Yeah, sounds stupid but I still like that they bothered with that quote.

All I can say is please don't suck....

I figure it will either be really awesome or is going to really disappoint

BIOSHOCK IS NOT STEAMPUNK. The world of Rapture isnt run on steam. Neither is it victorian era. Its 1950s retro with sci fi elements.

The art design looks intriguing enough, but I can't help but picture another boring action game in my head with a bunch of upgradeable weapons and overdone combo moves. I hope it brings something new besides the setting.

I want this more than I've ever wanted anything that started with the letter D this year. Plus I generally enjoy games with a time freezing gimmick and steam-punk so this has the potential to be great.

Let me try and summarise how my brain reacted to this:

*Sees title "Victorian assassin fights robots with magic"
Okay this sounds kinda awesome
*Sees start of trailer*
Okay voices sound a bit weird but looks kinda cool
*Sees setting*
Oh snap this steampunk looks pretty cool! Did he just set those peasants on fire?!
*Sees skull mask*
Okay this is going to be good
*Sees the rooftop running, that sneaky ninja guard stab*
This looks awesome!
*Sees those freakin' awesome magic powers*
This is gonna be SO GOOD
*Sees the throat slash and subsequent SPEED POWER WINDOW SMASH EXIT AND NINJA LAND*
THIS LOOKS SO AWESOME

And that's all I think needs to be said - What a good trailer.

EDIT: OH YEAH just remembered "REVENGE SOLVES EVERYTHING"
WHAT AN AWESOME TAGLINE

This just jumped to an easy 2nd place on my most anticipated list (after Bioshock Infinite).

Yeah, its unfortunate that the trailer has no gameplay, but theres a lot of story and characterization in this trailer that seems really promising. The protagonist looks motivated and brutal (I love how emotionless he is when he kills the target; no talking) and the setting and atmosphere looks incredible.

he stopped time. prince of persia, bioshock, assassin's creed, mirror's edge, and half-life 2. sure, why the hell not

I liked it for the most part, except for the retarded skull mask. The ascetics were doing great until the end.
Can't wait for this movie to come out :P

It's a remarkably interesting concept alright. I've had the game in my sights for about a year now, accidentally ran into it as one of Bethesda's projects.

That said, I'm not overly hopeful and I won't be until I see some game footage. Bethesda is:
1) A one trick pony. TES is the only good thing they've ever made, not counting Fallout 3 that uses the same engine and a lot of the same mechanics (using the VATS to hide how bad the only thing that really made it different from the TES franchise was done)

2) A publisher here. And they do NOT have a great track record at that. WET, Hunted: TDF, Rage - all failures. Brink was alrightish but also ended up being a failure (imo more due to competition than game quality, but still, a series of bot matches masquerading as a single player wasn't exactly a stroke of brilliance). Again not counting Fallout, this time NV, as it's their game handed into someone else's hands to fill out the blanks (and we've seen even amateur modders can do a lot with less)

And this is a completely unknown studio. They have one open source game behind them and one other thing, neither of which I've heard of. They've also had a project that they shut down in May '09 due to financial trouble and they've been bought out in '10 by ZeniMax. Not exactly inspiring :(

Gabanuka:
First person, steampunk, Assassins creed?

WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS!?

Because we must Fund the Next CoD game!

but seriously here i am Looking forward to anything Steampunk

Hopefully this will make a better Deus Ex than the new one, which was still pretty good, but the original it was not... I mean it has some of the lead designers from the original... and the most promising thing is it has Harvey Smith attached... which was one of the reasons the original Deus Ex was so good...<.<

Interested so far.

JokerboyJordan:

The title is spelled correctly.

OT: This is awesome, I can not wait.

I still love my Thief series, but this looks good. If it can be done in first person sneaker mode I may of found something to scratch that itch.

Well that was forty kinds of awesome.

wolf thing:
apart from it not begin steampuck because every thing in it is clearly electrically powered

I'm pretty sure you're being too specific. Steampunk is basically just science fiction fantasy whatever set in victorian era through industrial revolution era. As opposed to medieval fantasy or space science fiction.

Noxman:

Nevertheless steampunk is a genre I just don't 'get'. Thief did it reasonably well by mixing in magic and hiding technology behind religious nuts but still, the whole setting seems to belie logical development. They are still relying on railways and yet have electronic walking exo-suits and magic/high-tech bows and arrows; also electronic discharges that can vapourise a person crossing the threshold.

Thats the thing though... It's A. All about the setting and B. All about the fun!! Same way you can have people slinging around fireballs in medieval castles and dragons and shit, you can also get fancy electrical zappers with railroads. It's just a different time setting with everything associated with it for writers and other creator's to let their imagination play with.

About the trailer: Damn. I'm actually disappointing. When I read the title I was hoping for a Dresden Files meets Steampunk but no. No such luck. Damn it.

The trailer was prety bleh, but the premise alone is what has me so excited.

Deus Ex designers?
Half-Life 2 composer?
Dark Messiah developer?
Steampunk Bioshock?!

Yes please. If you won't mind, gentlemen, I have to change my pants.

So... I see no gameplay in the trailer, plus the game is giving us the thought that it has mirror's edge first-person parkour.
Yeah... Not too many good marks against this game right now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here