The Big Picture: Tropes vs. MovieBob

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 29 NEXT

Monxeroth:

could it be the fact that some women really don't help that problem at all by simply, oh i dunno
PRESENTING THEMSELVES AS IF THAT IS ALL THEY HAVE TO OFFER

I've lost the link, but a woman in her 40's/50's was elected to a very high role in the american judicary on the merit of her abiliteis and knowledge.

An article on their being elected was awash with comments to he tune of 'what an ugly b****' and 'I ain't taking the opinion of anyone that bad looking seriously.'

Colour-Scientist:
What I don't understand is the outrage over how much money she received and the amount of people saying that she should give it to charity.
When Extra Credits started a similar campaign, people donated generously and they received more than their target amount. Where was the anger then? Why weren't people telling EC that there were children starving in Africa?

Apples and Oranges. The EC campaign was only similar in that it used a site like kickstarter their campaign was to pay for a surgery for their artist in which if she didn't get it she wouldn't be able to draw (which was their job) so it was pretty vital. While this one is for a series of videos which is about an issue in video games... not as important.

Katya Topolkaraeva:
And the truth is, females really rather like playing female characters that are sexy, i know i do, in the same way that males like playing male characters that are buff.

Oh SHI- I'd never actually considered that

although I'm kinda removed from this whole argument because I can't remember the last time I played a game with a sexualised male or female character. lets see currently installed I have Limbo, Bastion, Prototype, Test drive unlimited, Bloodstone, Fez, Amnesia, Portal 2, Red Orchesta, Counter Strike, Half life, Physconaughts, Blur, Minecraft, From Dust... And I think thats it since I last formatted.

DVS BSTrD:
Now I really want to play Big Boob Panty Ninja 12.

Here, her. Can't wait for that release. Someone get Suda 51 on it immediately.

OT: good topic. I would love to see a report that goes, "Funding drive to discuss controversial subject being discussed online civilly and without vitriol."
Which by the way would actually be news.
One day fandom, of any subject, will be handled maturely. I know it has to happen someday. Or so I keep telling myself.

Now to get Suda 51 to start work on Big Boob Panty Ninja 12 .

walsfeo:

Blunderboy:

DVS BSTrD:
Now I really want to play Big Boob Panty Ninja 12.

As do I my friend. As do I.

OT - Well said Bob.

What bothers me is that I missed Big Boob Panty Ninja 1-11. I could probably wait on 12 if I just had those.

You can skip BBPN 9, it's just a high def remake of BBPN 5.
BBPN 7 is actually an attempt to reboot the series as an in depth trading and acquisitions sim.

Once again - well done Bob.

I don't always agree with everything Sarkeesian says, but I value her opinion and I'm grateful that someone is willing to examine pop culture and point out aspects we might to easily overlook. Y'know - just like I don't agree with everything Bob says in all his many article formats, but I applaud his intellectual analysis of geek culture.

I'm having a hard time articulating a point because I'm just so baffled at the vile spewed at Sarkeesian for no reason. Not that I expect trolls to be logical, but their complaints aren't based in reality (take the above "how dare she ask for money to research and produce quality videos - Yahtzee, etc., don't do that, neglecting completely of course that they are paid reviewers). I do have to enjoy the irony - when you balk at anyone pointing out the sexist aspects of pop/geek culture by scrawling poorly thought misogynist comments, you just reinforce that sexist behaviour is present and ought to be discussed.

Well spoken, Bob, as usual.

Personally, I think this is the perfect argument that we need more female gamers. Their feedback could help prevent future problems like this. We could also see a rise in more characters with actual...character rather than image appeal.

Come on, ladies! Get into gaming and help class up this act!

The one thing that bugs me about this is not the fact that the woman is doing these videos but the fact that she is ASKING FOR MONEY. If you go back and watch the videos you see that she apparently already has all 3 major consoles, multiple controllers for each, a TV and a camera. Why does she need $6000 to do these videos? Bob has already done 3 videos about feminism and video games and I doubt he got paid massively for those videos alone. With the $115k she got I'm hoping for some super amazing videos.

Zayle79:

Eri:
I think the worst part of the whole Tropes thing is the fact she's gotten over 150,000$ and for what? To make what is basically youtube videos? That's absurd.

Take a look at this show, extra credits, yahtzee, etc... They make on average a 5 minute video a week and constantly put them out, she is making what amounts to 3 hours tops of videos and making way more than I'm sure anyone else gets paid, and for much less work too.

"Basically Youtube videos"? You've seen them?

You're assuming that these videos will be the same quality as Big Picture, Extra Credits, etc. If that were so, then $150K would be plenty excessive. But she does have $150K. She's working with a pretty big budget and considerably more time than a week per video(I assume), so why assume that the videos themselves will be the same as shows working with weekly web show budgets?

I think you're missing the point of Kickstarter. She's not being paid all that money. People are giving her that money for the videos. Perhaps she could just use the $6000 she originally asked for and pocket the rest, I dunno, but she's clearly not doing that; when the funding started to way exceed the goal, what was originally would have been a 5-episode series along the same lines as her other FF videos expanded to a 12-episode series with a classroom curriculum and professional production values.

If you read the pitch, it will only amount to about 3 hours of video. And she's already put videos out, these aren't the first.

itsthesheppy:

So, check your rage. You're free to ignore it and move on.

Your own argument applies to my post.

And no, it's not a scam. But I know no one who puts out any of those series I mentioned gets paid 4200$ per week for 36 weeks of work or anywhere close to that amount. And that's if I just round to an even 150k she's getting paid, MORE is coming in so it's an even higher amount than that.

Anita's issue isn't only that some games dare to objectify, stereotype, or exclude women. It's that an overwhelming proportion of games do. The Bechdel test, for example, doesn't tell whether an individual movie is bad, so much as it shows that the mere presence of women is severely lacking from Hollywood films.

This isn't an argument against gaming. This is an argument for why we need more ambitious games.

verylost:

Colour-Scientist:
What I don't understand is the outrage over how much money she received and the amount of people saying that she should give it to charity.
When Extra Credits started a similar campaign, people donated generously and they received more than their target amount. Where was the anger then? Why weren't people telling EC that there were children starving in Africa?

Apples and Oranges. The EC campaign was only similar in that it used a site like kickstarter their campaign was to pay for a surgery for their artist in which if she didn't get it she wouldn't be able to draw (which was their job) so it was pretty vital. While this one is for a series of videos which is about an issue in video games... not as important.

Ultimately though it was for a web series that people enjoyed. This project stated very plainly what the money was for and people still VOLUNTARILY gave her more. EC needed money for an operation, they had more than enough to pay for her surgery and they got to keep the excess to use as they pleased and no one batted an eyelid. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have kept it but Kickstarter projects are becoming more and more popular for musicians and for a huge variety of things this the ONLY one I've seen where people are demanding that the excess money goes to starving children in Africa.

Amanda Palmer had a kickstarter for her album, she aimed for 100,000 and received 1,000,000 and no one asked for their money back or demanded it be given to charity.

ToastiestZombie:
I'm not against women, I am against people like this who just complain about the smaller issues with sexism, when there are still massive issues with sexism to BOTH genders in even countries like the USA.

Chatney:
Pointing out examples of "sexist" characters in media is easy and pointless. Rather than focusing our energy on trying to make our media somehow more fair and honest (which is in and of itself a laugh, just look at films and TV series) we should focus our attention on how women are actually treated, you know, the stuff that actually matters.

Oh yes, the old "Don't you have more important things to worry about?" fallacy. AKA a cheap way of not responding to the argument present, or more simply, a cop-out.

It's based on the faulty premises:

1) That it is not possible to care about big and small problems simultaneously.
2) That venting a minor complaint is sufficient proof that the major problem is considered unimportant.
3) That if the person irritated over the minor problem did help solve or even cared about the big problems, he would then not mind at all that his car broke down or whatever the frustration was...or because there are people with worse problems, that person shouldn't complain about a frustration.

In this case, #2 might not even be important since the mass media can shape people's perceptions, and if entertainment continually portrays women in a negative, demeaning or disenfranchising light, it is relevant to larger issues in sexism because it reinforces the mindsets that allow sexism to perpetuate.

But if you guys really believe this, tell me something. Did you tell the Retake Mass Effect crowd to stop whining about a stupid video game and worry about curing cancer or ending homelessness instead? Why are you bitching on a video game site's forums in the first place? Shouldn't you be too busy building houses for Habitat for Humanity or something?

in reality the biggest reason, well two big reasons that there are more ugly guys the ugly girls, it that, in general, men of more visually stimulated then women. the other reason is that most of the art styles that we use today are call backs the the fantastic and syfy styles of the mid 70's early 80's, and it could be older then that, any ways those artiest were largely male, this is why when most people thing sorcerer they think barely any closes, also evil, i guess.

If she used the money to fiance a game to show good character according to her views, that would do more then her just making videos bashing other characters.
All she needs is to find an artist and a programmer.

I don't care that she's making these videos, I care that she asked money for them. Plenty of people have done these kind of videos for free, but she needed 6,000$ to do them. And thanks to the internet she now has over150,000$ to put in her pocket. Wonderful job guys, no I'm sure she'll spend every cent of that on the tropes videos.

Thing that irks me about the "guys are just as sexualized as women so its ok" is that, well, no that doesn't make it ok that just means women aren't the only ones objectified.

I do think it needs to be addressed because we need to get rid of this stereotype that only heterosexual men objectify and sexualize people. EVERYONE does this. All genders and all sexual orientations.

Though it is alot worse for women as we are in a male dominated society where both decision makers and marketed demographics are primarily male.

Finally, remember this is a societal issue not a business issue. Businesses typically do not sexualize characters because they personally want to, but because sex sales. Problem is how do you solve this. Sex is so pervasive in marketing it makes it hard to show support of non-sexualized media since even if you do support it overwhelmingly the old marketing teaching of "sex sales" will cause them to assume it sold better despite the lack of tits not because of it.

It's funny, a game that tries to pander to me with a big-titted woman with chain mail bikini "armour" gets a pass from me. But for every so-called journalist that leaps to defend this woman from Feminist Frequency, the less I sympathize with her version of the cause. She got over $150,000 to make a few documentaries pointing out the obvious, and likely with no realistic ideas on how to slow and/or eventually stop the problem. Honestly, did she really need six grand to pay for the "expense" related to talking to her tripod-mounted camera for a few hours? If your passionate about something, you shouldn't need financial incentive, unless she needs a $6000 camera to get her point across.

She's like a really expensive check engine light for a car, that only goes off two hours after your engine has died... Essentially useless. With that being said, they standard wash of youtube hate is far from justified, and is a little ridiculous, if not somewhat inevitable. I suppose in this capitalist world, people can vote for this with their wallet's as they see fit. However, her "campaign" to raise funds falls in the same category as "truck balls" in my mind. In fact, I might rather buy the truck balls than give her money, at least I could use those as a gag gift, instead of paying someone to repeat obvious facts.

Good job Bob saves me the time of having to say it myself. On a related note I've noticed a lot of complaints about the amount of money she ended up with on kickstarter when she is producing something that equates to an overlong youtube video. Since she got far more then she was asking for it really isn't her fault but I think it gives her the chance to put her money where her mouth is. Talking about the issue is important but many people already know where most of it's going. The truth is it is a fairly obvious problem. I think she should follow extra credits' example and use the rest of the money to start a publishing company with a focus on producing game content with broader three dimensional characters. Until alternatives are produced and shown to be as viable as whats currently mainstream this problem will not go away. Funding a couple indie games that show this could be the first step to actual change.

Hitchmeister:
There hasn't been a good Big-Boobed Panty-Ninja since VII. And Big-Boobed Panty-Ninja X-2: More Panties was the worst idea ever. They should just quit now.

Agreed. It's like they lost track of what was fun in those games!

I'm starting to like Bob and less and less. Not because I think he's wrong, because anyone with a sliver of intelligence knows what he's saying is true.

No, what annoys me and makes me roll my eyes everytime I hear his voice now, is that he assumes the rest of us are bungling idiots, based on the few outspoken morons who can't keep their dick in their pants.

Also, genders couldn't be more equally valued than they are now, in western countries. For every women that's denied a raise because of her gender, there's a man being suspected of sexual harrassment. That's not to say that everyone is treated fairly, just that we're whining a lot more about a lot less.

Also there are tons and tons of assumptions about men. If we do a good job, it's expected of us. If we fail, we have to "man up". If we don't have a washboard stomach and perfect hairline, we're not taking well enough care of ourselves. We're still expected to be the ones to initiate contact, pay for the date and propose the marriage. And as Bob eloquently put it, "That's just how it is", while no one is giving a fuck about the fact that men who don't feel that way not only have most women against them, but most men as well.
But it's okay, we're men, we can take it. That's not gender bias at all, because men aren't being judged the same way women are. Right?
Wrong, and thinking that "we" can, and should, take it, is just another form of schauvenism assuming that all men are and should be better than women in that regard.

People *in general* just need to suck it up and do something about their situation instead of starting headhunts on those they feel are being jerks. There's your equality I expect everyone to do an effort despite their gender, so stop sobbing. If you've given it your best then again, no matter what gender you are, you should have support for being a human being.
Either we do that, or we accept the fact that there IS a difference of more than just bodyparts and then we don't wave a genderflag everytime an assumption is made.

But about the show... How about we stop giving trolls the attention?
This could've been a grand opportunity to actually discuss what Anita is talking about and whether there might be something about it or not, or how the best way would've been to go about it. Instead every single male who's actually had something valid to say, have been swept under the rug along with the misygonists, because they're not entitled to make an argument.

I'm Smilomaniac and THAT'S the big picture, not the stupid drivel Bob just pushed out of a sense of superiority as he grabbed his microphone and started recording.

Dryk:

Hollyday:

Seconded! This and Jim Sterling's article on the subject: http://www.gamefront.com/misandry-in-videogames-oh-grow-the-f-k-up/ really make me feel less disgusted with the internet

Read the comments, the disgust will come pouring back

You just had to point them out didn't you? And I just had to read them didn't I?

I hate people now.

Ugly women don't miss out on jobs because Lara Croft sets a bad standard... Ugly women miss out on jobs because they are ugly.

It wouldn't matter if EVERY SINGLE video game character was an ugly loser, people (not women... people) will ALWAYS BE JUDGED by their appearance.

Get over it.

Internet idiots attack N'Gai Croal for claiming racism in Resident Evil 5? Bob sides with the idiots and blatantly says that he's wrong.

Internet idiots attack a pretty feminist for daring to have an opinion on video games? Bob LEAPS into action to save the princess from the eeeevil trolls.

Bob, you're no different than the people you're attacking in this video. You're a white knight of the HIGHEST order, and that's sickening. Thanks for letting me know that this is your "issue of the month" so I can skip this weeks OverEdito-uhh...I mean, OverThinker.

Falseprophet:
Oh yes, the old "Don't you have more important things to worry about?" fallacy. AKA a cheap way of not responding to the argument present, or more simply, a cop-out.

Had you not taken what I said out of context and acted as though it was my entire case rather than a closing suggestion, I would've said you have a point. As it stands, however, you're just ignoring my arguments.

Please read my post again and respond to it in full, rather than acting as though all I did was suggest that we focus our attention elsewhere.

Falseprophet:
But if you guys really believe this, tell me something. Did you tell the Retake Mass Effect crowd to stop whining about a stupid video game and worry about curing cancer or ending homelessness instead? Why are you bitching on a video game site's forums in the first place? Shouldn't you be too busy building houses for Habitat for Humanity or something?

You're not helping your case, mate. Since you seem to like linking to sites about logical fallacies, I suggest you read up on straw men and red herrings.

Katya Topolkaraeva:
aww at first i thought this would be an episode about people wanting Lara Croft to get raped... ah well. BTW, way to be sexist Bob, i am a female and i watch your show, silly to assume that someone watching your show is a male by saying these male bodies are for "YOU" not THEM ie the females. blah! And the truth is, females really rather like playing female characters that are sexy, i know i do, in the same way that males like playing male characters that are buff.

I'm not sure that he was assuming that everyone watching is male; he was just addressing the males in the audience.

But I think that's a reasonable enough point. If the muscular guys in games are meant to be self image fantasies for males, could the same not be said for the sexy female characters?

Probably not easily, since most games are marketed to a young male audience, but it's still a valid point. Bob brought up how the portrayal of women in games doesn't exist in a vacuum and that, because of real world inequalities, the reverse sexualization argument doesn't really work, and I think he's right.

I think the better point to make is that the marketing and sexualizing of characters doesn't really do any harm. Sure, we have crass and vulgar comments on youtube, but we also have racism, atrocious grammar, and poorly made points on youtube. What's most telling is that you can usually find all four of those in the same post. There will always be idiots out there, and they will always say dumb things. Part of being a grownup is to learn to deal with them.

I'd also think that part of being an online community like youtube also includes banning those users and, in the cases of threats, informing the user's ISP, but that's a different issue.

I'm a young male gamer, but old enough to recognize shameless pandering. Honestly, at this point, it makes me roll my eyes. I also have to roll my eyes when people claim that the marketing is somehow harmful or affects the worldviews of viewers in any meaningful way. I have seen this stuff my whole life, and it hasn't turned me in to a drooling sexist youtube commenter and, I daresay, it won't turn any other normal person in to a knuckledragger either. We have the world education systems and parents to blame for that, I'd guess.

Now, the real issue is that she wanted $6000 to make videos about a topic where all the information, along with plenty of examples are available on tv tropes, where an online community has done all the research she'd ever need.

While I also question the validity of her videos, I have to say that just drawing attention to these tropes is a worthy enough goal, since spreading knowledge is always a good thing and she's certain to succeed now. I just hope that she interprets it in a way that doesn't make all of her donors regret their decisions.

Hitchmeister:
There hasn't been a good Big-Boobed Panty-Ninja since VII. And Big-Boobed Panty-Ninja X-2: More Panties was the worst idea ever. They should just quit now.

Don't sweep BBPN IX under the rug, that one was really good. BBPN X-2 was a pretty bad idea though, and that MMO they tried to do with XIV, they must have hired slugs to do the work on that one

Eri:
If you read the pitch, it will only amount to about 3 hours of video. And she's already put videos out, these aren't the first.

That's irrelevant. Did her other videos have $150K put into them? I doubt it; I've seen them. These ones do have that ridiculous amount of money poured into them, so I think we can deduce that they'll have higher production values. Elementary, dear Rainbow Dash.

Edit: My point is just that you can't say if something's budget was too high until it's made. That's like telling a AAA movie studio "Hey, don't you know that people make videos with cheap camcorders and Windows Movie Maker? Putting thousands of dollars into an hour and a half of video is just obscene!" If Sarkeesian really wants to put the money to good use, there's plenty she can do with it.

JediMB:

newwiseman:
Also if she wants to use actual game characters and not just inspired look-a-likes she'll have to pay licensing fees.

As I recall, you don't have to pay licensing fees to use limited amounts of copyrighted material for the purpose of criticism or parody. It goes under Fair Use or other international equivalents.

True, unless she ever plans to sell the material she makes, on a DVD for instance. Fair Use is annoying and confusing when you apply it to your own copyrighted work and it is often easier and cheaper to obtain a general license to use what you want than argue fair use in court. Also depending on where your sued the courts are more lenient for what is parody and satire vs what is copyright infringement.

I don't know what her plans are for the characters but with the budget she's looking at she may be a target.

Personally I've used copyrighted works in the past and have found it very easy to get permissions from the owners, without having to pay a cent, so long as I made sure they received all due credit. Those that did ask for money, only wanted anything if I sold over a certain amounts (about 3,000units or 30,000dollars of material on average). I've never come close to that so I've never paid for licensing.

I think you tried a little hard to trivialize the male side of the issue. I mean Twilight? That Bod bodyspray commercial. Those aren't really for our sexual self-fulfillment are they? Bob, I think you're underestimating just how marketable the woman side of things has become. Still, opinion and good episode.

That's kind of why I'm interested in see where they go with the Tomb Raider reboot. Sure, it's still sexy-symbol Lara, but the wounds, blood, and dirt of it all seems to be bringing her to a more down-to-earth position.

Keeping in mind that good male or female characters conform and deny some of the rolls and expectations laid upon their gender. Complete defiance is dull, it's a tricky thing to work around. ;)

Fusioncode9:
I don't care that she's making these videos, I care that she asked money for them. Plenty of people have done these kind of videos for free, but she needed 6,000$ to do them. And thanks to the internet she now has over150,000$ to put in her pocket. Wonderful job guys, no I'm sure she'll spend every cent of that on the tropes videos.

Eri:
I think the worst part of the whole Tropes thing is the fact she's gotten over 150,000$ and for what? To make what is basically youtube videos? That's absurd.

Take a look at this show, extra credits, yahtzee, etc... They make on average a 5 minute video a week and constantly put them out, she is making what amounts to 3 hours tops of videos and making way more than I'm sure anyone else gets paid, and for much less work too.

oh i know why, it's because she is doing a full cultural research project, as someone who is about to go for there masters, i can tell you, it's not just something you though together, research like what this girl is talking about i huge, and take a good amount of money, not 150,000 money but still a lot. with the kick starter she only asked for 6,000, which is resemble. Anthropological research like this girl is doing is excessive, though the reson she got so much money is because of how these people on the internet were treating her. so yes i agree 150,000 is a little bit excessive, but to do this right she does need some money.

"those male chars aren't there for women to enjoy, they their for you. for male self fantasy"

and yes i am paraphrasing but you get the idea.

Frankly i find the Dad form Heavy rain or Alan wake to be men that male gamers affiliate themselves with more, y'know mr average just trying to do right by their friends and family. Rather than those hulking duke nukem-esk, steroid junkies which I don't think anyone finds them at all appealing as a self image. Plus frankly bob, would the same argument work for female gamers and sexy chars? the self fantasy that they want to be that?

don't get me wrong i think he's full of crap on this one because I don't know anyone who treats a char as a fantasised version of themselves except maybe in RPG games like fallout, which is supposed to be the point of that genre where you get to create your own char.

Bob all your argument has really don is say that male gamers are really just a load of losers who find games appealing because it lets them get away from how shit they are for five minutes because they get to imagine that they are this muscle manic and get to douche around for a while. Isn't that what gamers have been trying to disprove for a long time now? that they aren't a bunch of loosers who live in their mothers basement?

and please, only very few women findd Dante, Marcus phoenix, Jacob Taylor, Thane ETC ETC appealing? id wager not.

medv4380:
The entire sexism argument should be flatly ignored.

No progress is ever made and when push comes to shiv the only people left participating are the Women who want all me to die and the Men who think of women as Objects.

The biggest problem with the entire argument is that it is too subjective. The latest Sex Symbol in Japan is Nintendos Office Lady in their ads. Cultural boundaries are so erratic on what would be sexually exploitative of women would be anything and everything.

The ultimate result of the argument isn't any good ether.

Eastern Orthodox Catholics/Russian Catholics view Hair as Sexually Seductive. Therefor, women must wear head scarves.

Islam, any skin showing on a woman is too Sexually Seductive in public. Therefor, women must be fully clothed from head to toe.

Your argument ultimately falls to pieces, because you offer no valid solution, and can be pared down to Attractive Women Shouldn't Be Seen.

So which world do you want?

Do you want a world where women are free to exist as whatever tramp, harlot, stripper, engineer, teacher, or scientist they want to be?

Or do you want a world where women are not to be seen in public?

The path you're presenting Bob is the path that leads to women not being seen even though I know your intention is not to go that far. Your logic is the very logic that has been used to Oppress women the most.

This is a world view completely lacking in any sense of nuance, there's no reason everything has to be one extreme or the other. Expecting people to be prudent and responsible in their behavior and in the creative works they produce isn't advocating censorship.

Censorship is a cold, binary thing, "Material X contains content Y, content Y is inappropriate, material X is banned." This is a call for conversation: Rather than deciding that something is objectionable based solely on content, we should be looking at the context of that content, and what the overall works says about that content, and then not ban something if we decide that what it's saying is objectionable, but simply be aware of the potentially harmful messages to which we're being exposed.

As far as a solution to objectification, that should be fairly obvious: Creators should treat female characters as they would any other, give them fully developed personalities, and have them act (and dress) logically within that personality. Objectification doesn't come from sexualization, but through sexualization lacking any other context, i.e. a female characters with no defining characteristics beyond their body and their sexuality.

Windknight:

Monxeroth:

could it be the fact that some women really don't help that problem at all by simply, oh i dunno
PRESENTING THEMSELVES AS IF THAT IS ALL THEY HAVE TO OFFER

I've lost the link, but a woman in her 40's/50's was elected to a very high role in the american judicary on the merit of her abiliteis and knowledge.

An article on their being elected was awash with comments to he tune of 'what an ugly b****' and 'I ain't taking the opinion of anyone that bad looking seriously.'

yepp, and thats the other side of the coin which is also equally fucked up
women only presenting their appearence as their only worthy aspect
and men/society in general only looking at the appearence to be the one thing of value

Crap like this makes me glad to be a Canadian.
In Canada... We have laws about this very subject and we USE them.

I don't believe for one minute that ALL the stud-bod men are designed for the enjoyment of male gamers.

-Dante
-The prince of Persia
-Squall
etc

Trust me... They were designed to attract girls.

And defending the objectification of men by deploying the old "you're a man, shut up and take it" double standard is as big a pile of BS as the sexist claims of FF herself.

The only thing I find more offensive than the misogamy of FF haters, is the over the top PANDERING by Bob and his like.

Here's a little reality check for FF, Bob and all the rest...

WE LIKE PRETTY PEOPLE IN OUR FANTASIES!!!!

As much as we would like to believe otherwise; Both men and women would rather see a cast of good looking people rather than a cast of average (or below average) looking people.

Anyone who says otherwise is LYING!

Zayle79:

Eri:

That's irrelevant. Did her other videos have $150K put into them? I doubt it; I've seen them. These ones do have that ridiculous amount of money poured into them, so I think we can deduce that they'll have higher production values. Elementary, dear Rainbow Dash.

Edit: My point is just that you can't say if something's budget was too high until it's made. That's like telling a AAA movie studio "Hey, don't you know that people make videos with cheap camcorders and Windows Movie Maker? Putting thousands of dollars into an hour and a half of video is just obscene!" If Sarkeesian really wants to put the money to good use, there's plenty she can do with it.

That remains to be seen however. The original goal was only 6k$. There's nothing that says she can't just pocket the rest. Hell, she could take all of it and give no videos, that's not even a problem according to the kickstarter rules. Obviously I don't think she's going to just take it and not use it, but I doubt she will use quite a bit, especially as more and more comes in.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 29 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here