Zero Punctuation: Wreckateer and Deadlight

Pages PREV 1 2

Review of this critique by a drunk person (me):

The first half made a surprising amount of sense. For the second half, I spaced out and read Twitter instead.

Bottom line: Would watch again. Probably should watch again on account of having missed most of it.

Mysnomer:
I'm just super disappointed Yahtzee didn't try to do an actual J. Jonah Jameson impersonation. That would have been a good laugh.

I'm still laughing that he brought it up in the first place! When he rattled off which indie games Deadlight ripped off, I was disheartened it didn't come with a "DING!" sound, like he did with his Dark Void review. But I still love his annual XBLA twofer shows. These sound like the first of these types of game he thought sucked.
Also, who the deuce is Jonathan Creek?

capcha: who, me?

Great review and I have to agree about mobile style titles coming to XBLA or other home systems.

Wasn't interested in these games before, still not interested now!

You know, that Kinect game actually sounds pretty fun. Too bad I don't own a Kinect.

As for the zombie game. Yeah, that sounds pretty generic and boring. I know this has probably been said before, but zombies really are becoming the new nazis. We need something new, like pirates. Pirates are awesome.

I really wish he'd do a PSN one once in a while, there's some interesting stuff on here too. Rochard,Journey, Flower, Payday: The Heist, Sideway: New York, and the upcoming Papo and Yo are all interesting concepts, and the ones I've played are very good games to boot. Show the PSN some love, Yahtzee! He could even review Dead Nation if he wants another run of the mill zombie game to be annoyed about!

So Wreckateer (a game where you crush precariously-built structures with rocks) is a rip-off of Angry Birds (a game where you crush precariously-built structures with birds) which is itself a rip-off of Crush the Castle (a game where you crush precariously-built structures with rocks.)

My word, it's come full circle.

"This is Seattle". Funniest thing I've seen all day. I just love the way you can see the space needle from ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE IN THE WHOLE CITY as far as TV, movies, and games are concerned.

P.S. Thanks

I keep thinking the Deadlight devs watched this review and were like, "Phew! I'm glad he didn't spoil it!"

When I saw him doing Half-Life last week, I said "next week will be FFXIII-2, an XBLA double-up, or something obscure on Steam". Behold, pattern recognition!

I seriously hope that AB/CtC Kinect ripoff isn't priced anywhere near the other XBLA games. That would be like paying the moving guy more money to let you help carry the fridge. And then paying him even more money if he agrees to drop it on your foot.

BoredWalker:
When I saw him doing Half-Life last week, I said "next week will be FFXIII-2, an XBLA double-up, or something obscure on Steam". Behold, pattern recognition!

I seriously hope that AB/CtC Kinect ripoff isn't priced anywhere near the other XBLA games. That would be like paying the moving guy more money to let you help carry the fridge. And then paying him even more money if he agrees to drop it on your foot.

Wreckateer is 800MSP (ten bucks). I can't think of a single way the game could merit that price.

Dust: An Elysian Tail can u review that

Zachary Amaranth:

BoredWalker:

Wreckateer is 800MSP (ten bucks). I can't think of a single way the game could merit that price.

That's better than I thought; most XBLA titles don't go down to ten bucks unless they're on sale. I was expecting something more along the lines of 1200-1600MSP, considering how much thought was put into the game.

Captcha: warp speed

Most... illogical.

Blood Brain Barrier:
Would you people stop buying zombie games? I don't think I've ever played one that's actually good, and maybe if developers didn't find them so lucrative ($) then they would concentrate on game topics and ideas that are actually, you know... good.

No. because we like them. YOu dont like it, ok, dont buy it. We like zombie games and we buy them.

Aw man, and I thought that was a sassy misspelling of Recettear. Mind you, I love that game, but the idea of Yahtzee playing a game about a little girl running an item shop makes me giggle, even if he would probably viciously maul it with his words.

I was literally /just/ about to watch Momento for the first time. I didn't care about spoilers for a indie game on a console I don't own but now I am sad panda =(

Unrelated to the vid (sort of), but does anyone know whether Yhatzee makes writes and records the script AND produces the video. It seems like a lot of work for one man to do every week without fail. Does he get much help with any part of it? Is there a team Yhatzee over there in Oz?

Graff:
Apologies if this has already been said, but...
Angry Bird isn't the first throw something at a castle.
And they were hardly original about it. Basically, it was a reskinned crush the castle.
And I believe there were games of the same concept even before that one.

The trebuchet was invented in the 13th century so I believe that that unnamed innovater has everyone ninja'd.

BTW - the name of the movie is pronounced (and spelled) Memento. Should make it easier to find on Netflix etc.

Re: Memento Ending

I mean seriously, the movie is from 2000 and released in March 2001. You might as well complain that he spoiled The Matrix or Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, he didn't really spoil anything for Memento because the movie isn't... it doesn't... JUST WATCH IT!

dcemuser:
Re: Memento Ending

I mean seriously, the movie is from 2000 and released in March 2001. You might as well complain that he spoiled The Matrix or Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, he didn't really spoil anything for Memento because the movie isn't... it doesn't... JUST WATCH IT!

Definitely. The more Memento spoilers you get, the less you understand about what actually happens.

Magmarock:
Spoiling the game, fine. But did you have to spoil Momneto?

He didn't spoil it. That's not how it ends at all. What Yahtzee meant by that was simply that both Deadlight and Memento use the "protagonist has amnesia" cliché.

Iknow it came out a little too late for you to review, but, Dust: An Elysian Tail, is probably one of the greatest games to hit the XBLA this year. Even if you don't plan to review it, you should still check it out.

praus:
Loved the video as usual. I really wish Yahtzee would publish his books in an e-book format. I've gotten really used to reading books that way and going back to traditional books is annoying now.

Ahh, but he does have an audiobook version coming out. Narrated by the man himself. Surely this is the ideal experience?

Pearwood:

GenGenners:

Awww, and here was me thinking Yahtzee watched QI :(

He's from the UK, of course he watches QI.

He used "big time stylee" in Extra Punctuation, so I'm sure he does (remember "Milk gone off big time stylee."). Anyway, everyone should watch QI.

Timnoldzim:

Magmarock:
Spoiling the game, fine. But did you have to spoil Momneto?

He didn't spoil it. That's not how it ends at all. What Yahtzee meant by that was simply that both Deadlight and Memento use the "protagonist has amnesia" cliché.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Will watch Momento. I hear it's good.

RadioactiveMicrobe:

praus:
Loved the video as usual. I really wish Yahtzee would publish his books in an e-book format. I've gotten really used to reading books that way and going back to traditional books is annoying now.

Ahh, but he does have an audiobook version coming out. Narrated by the man himself. Surely this is the ideal experience?

Oh, I didn't know that. An audio book read by Yahtzee (even one thats not his!) does sound pretty awesome.

Djinn8:
Unrelated to the vid (sort of), but does anyone know whether Yhatzee makes writes and records the script AND produces the video. It seems like a lot of work for one man to do every week without fail. Does he get much help with any part of it? Is there a team Yhatzee over there in Oz?

I don't believe it's a team effort; I think the guy does it all single-handedly. But yes, I've always thought that it would have been a lot of work, and quite a strenuous process to get them out to the public on a weekly basis (how does he get time to do anything else with his life?). When he first started out, I think that this probably would have been the case, but over time, I think that he probably would have become faster, more refined, and found ways to make the process more expedient, such as re-using old models, recycling some already-edited images, etc. But, most of all, I just assume that he would have simply become more efficient, like everyone in their respective crafts.

Also, if there was a "team Yahtzee", I'd assume that the delegating of jobs would probably be more work for Yahtzee than simply making the whole video by himself. And, besides, if it wasn't made by a single person, I doubt Zero Punctuation would have the same sense of solidarity and coherence. Team efforts work in games, film, etc. But not in video reviews like this.

Really hope you do more let's plays!
& if not then please say that you're stopping so that I can stop loitering around this page)

Randy Pandy?! My mortal rhyming name enemy!

If Yahtzee is disappointed with the Summer of Arcade, he should come over to the PS3's indie games for the Playstation Store, with games like Journey, Sound Shapes, Papo and Yo, Dyad and Retro/Grade. Journey and Papo and Yo reflect the Indie spirit. He actually mentioned Journey in the 'FEZ and I Am Alive' video, but never reviewed it. Best game this year in my humble opinion.

I heard an interesting theory about Deadlight. The theory was that it isn't a zombie apocalypse game at all. The whole zombie thing is just playing out in Randy's head and what he's really doing is murdering people. The theory actually was fairly convincing from the way the author wrote it and took into account a great many of the game's cutscenes as well. Certainly, the pages in Randy's diary that you can read at the beginning make him out to be a raving nutter.

That said, I found the demo boring and I hit delete at the end of the demo.

its easy to figure out Deadlights plot Randy killed his family. there

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or