Zero Punctuation: Sleeping Dogs

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Funny "review", but this is the best sandbox since Saints Row2 (at least to me).
If you have a slight interest in asia movies, brawlers and/or open world games give this game a chance. I haven`t noticed any bugs at all and it`s the first game that manages to get shooting AND driving right.

Be warned contains story spoilers (even a single huge one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMCtgA3lzQ&feature=showob
(two best friends:sleeping dogs)

My only downside are the so called dates since they don`t really fit into the pretty solid writing of dialogue and story ("You`re such a bad, bad boy" urgh,my toenails just rolled up).

Balkan:

Joriss:
So Yatzee, Darksiders 2 next week yes?

He mentioned it in extra punc , so most probably .Also there is fuck all coming out this mounth .Darksiders 1 is still the funniest review that yz has done .

Reason the more I want to see him review Darksiders II hehe...

I love this game.

Because I love Hong Kong.

And Tattoos.

mjc0961:
Because the jetpack in San Andreas was a slow piece of shit that was made completely redundant by the far more awesome military fighter jet that takes off and lands like a helicopter but flies around the map like an airplane.

A. You're surprised that the various planes were faster than a jetpack? And you say that this is an issue?

B. Called "VTOL"; the plane was a Harrier Jump Jet.
C. Nevermind the fact that the jetpack is meant for small excursions and can get you around buildings and tight corners - clearly the jets, all larger than a semi, can do that too.

mjc0961:
And Saints Row The Third DID have one of those.

Irrelevant to the conversation; it isn't a jetpack.

I let out a genuine guffaw at the part where the game is holding a revolver too Yahtzee's head forcing him too sing "Can't Live Without You" by Mariah Carey. xD
First good long laugh I've had in a while with ZP.

DVS BSTrD:
Maybe it's called Sleeping Dogs because if you let your guard down, Hong Kong will eat you alive.

I'm sure there's a joke in there about how long a dog can stay alive in china before ending up on someone's plate...

Was San Andreas really 8 years ago? Bloody hell... Where'd the time go?!

MelasZepheos:
Urgh.

I want a cop sandbox game! I want to be a detective in a city like San Andreas or Stillwater, chasing after these homicidal bad guys and being penalised for killing the wrong people and being too brutal! We had it back in the 90s/early 00s with the SWAT games, so why not now?

Very funny review as always.

Because HARD MEN MAKE HARD DECISIONS!

"Rainbow Six now kills cops and civilians instead prioritizing civilians over objective."

San Andreas was the last GTA I really enjoyed but I must admit I do like the look of this game.

Maybe it's because it is in a different location etc.

Great review either way!

Can they please just tune the ending credits down so they match the rest of the video? I got to the end of the video and got blasted out of my chair by the sound waves before I could finish reading the text at the end.

Therumancer:
Hmmm, the only thing that surprises me here is given the focus on hand to hand combat (to begin with at least) it's not being compared to say Yakuza as opposed to GTA. I haven't played it yet, but from the descriptions it sounds a LOT more like Yakuza than GTA, especially given the mention of mini-games like Karaoke.

I'll also say that "Saint's Row" seems to have taken the sandbox insanity crown, where "Grand Theft Auto" has gone in the "realistic" direction. That said while you have jet bikes in SR 3, you don't yet have Jet Packs. I'll also admit that they kind of ruined a lot of the insanity by making the world a bit too silly, as many have said, the insanity works best when the world plays straight man for you (so to speak).

Did Yakuza allow you to carjack & drive around recklessly? Maybe that's why Sleeping Dogs (why NOT True Crime: Hong Kong?) is a GTA clone. Unless Sleeping Dogs has insanely long, slow-paced cutscenes, too.

PoorCollegeLad:
Was the spiders on fire barrel a subtle nod to the LRR video Fear Itself? I do certainly hope so, but probably just a coincidence.

It probably is, since LRR and Yahtzee worked together on a couple of things.

Therumancer:
Hmmm, the only thing that surprises me here is given the focus on hand to hand combat (to begin with at least) it's not being compared to say Yakuza as opposed to GTA. I haven't played it yet, but from the descriptions it sounds a LOT more like Yakuza than GTA, especially given the mention of mini-games like Karaoke.

My initial thoughts on Sleeping Dogs when I started it, as someone who tried Yakuza and didn't enjoy it, was that Sleeping Dogs is Yakuza, if Yakuza was good. The combat is nice, the fights merge with the morld instead of Final Fantasy interrupting you into a staged fighting arena. If it falls down anywhere I'd say it's in the execution of the romance subplots - the game throws five women at you, who you can date once and only once. Each one unlocks an in-game perk - extra races, collectives showing up on your minimap, etc. It seemed like a massive afterthought, which is a bit bizarre. Because the mechanics of this dating system aren't really explained to you you just date each one in turn as they became available in the story and half the girls get mad at Wei for cheating on them which leads to another side mission - but the game never made it clear you were actually in a relationship!

Other than that, it's solid. It does everything it can be be a kind of HK action movie, generally flowing quite cinematically despite giving you complete control. The car chase sequences, something I normally dread whenever I have to shoot from a vehicle I'm also responsible for driving, are absolutely brilliant. You can also press a button to actually directionally ram/sideswipe vehicles instead of just swerving into them and hoping you do more damage to them than vice versa. The capacity to action hijack was a nice touch but I only ever used it when the mission called for it.

I wouldn't say I related to Wei at all, but I did find his journey quite engaging. Not the best game I ever played, but definitely very good, and one of the better titles of this year.

Edit: I just wanted to add this.

You know how in most sandbox games if your car is wedged and the doors can't open, your dude will just teleport outside it? In Sleeping Dogs Wei punches out the windscreen and crawls out over the hood. That's some awesome attention to a detail we wouldn't have noticed if they left it out, but makes it clear the designer cared enough about what they were doing to put some thought into this highly contextual circumstance. Once you noticed that, my appreciation for the little things in this game jumped right up.

"flipping out the buttered fuck crumpet"
and thus I have a new favorite saying.

doing kung fu really does make the game all that much more fun :P

duchaked:
doing kung fu really does make the game all that much more fun :P

Absolutely. It's much more fun to kung fu a dozen guys on the street than storm in with an assault rifle.

I have to commend the game's developers. Although it is impossible to copy Hong Kong accurately, it does manage to capture the city's atmosphere. Makes me feel at home... well, sort of.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here