Halo 4 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The campaign will take you less than 10 hours to complete on Normal difficulty.

Just one quick question. How casual are you? Seriously, how many times did you die when you needed 10 hours to finish that campaign? 7 hours on the hardest difficulty and if you proceed really slowly.

BiH-Kira:

Just one quick question. How casual are you? Seriously, how many times did you die when you needed 10 hours to finish that campaign? 7 hours on the hardest difficulty and if you proceed really slowly.

I never said it took me 10, merely stating that your average player will likely finish it around that time, give or take a few hours depending on how much you like to listen to audio logs, track down unlocks or simply speed through it.

BiH-Kira:

Since the game isn't out yet, you are either A: clutching at straws, B you're admitting to pirating a leaked copy and have actually played the game, which is against site rules.

Also, from what I have read on other sites, not just the Escapist, is that on normal it takes like 8-10 hours. But I guess all these reviewers are just dirty casuals...

OT: This game is getting some very good review, so I guess I'll have to get this game. If some of my friends get it I'll definitely be buying it almost at launch

Really? 10 hours for a single player game? Are the devs just not putting in any effort for games these days?

008Zulu:
Really? 10 hours for a single player game? Are the devs just not putting in any effort for games these days?

10 hours at the very max. Many people I know who got the leaked beat it in 6.

I played it, it's really nothing special. The single player plot leaves much to be desired, and while they at least tried new things with multiplayer, it deviates too much for the core "teamwork beats all" aspect of Halo.

I just looked at the score of a Machinima review because I was too busy to read and saw it got 10/10. I thought "Wow, I'm pretty sure they said that about 2 and 3, and they were shit" (well Halo 3 wasn't that bad but it wasn't as good as the first).

Music and single player not up to the standards set by previous Halo games?
That's a real bummer, because with most of the Halo games I've played, the campaign and the soundtrack have been the personal highlights for me.

RadioactiveMicrobe:

I played it, it's really nothing special. The single player plot leaves much to be desired, and while they at least tried new things with multiplayer, it deviates too much for the core "teamwork beats all" aspect of Halo.

It's Homefront all over again.

The story had a lot of potential. Seems like they are making a multiplayer game with single player shoe horned in. It'd have been better to split the game and have a team for both, that way you get two quality products.

008Zulu:

RadioactiveMicrobe:

The story had a lot of potential. Seems like they are making a multiplayer game with single player shoe horned in. It'd have been better to split the game and have a team for both, that way you get two quality products.

Honestly, I have heard people who played it on Reddit said it's only 6 hours if you literally rush through it completely. Everyone who doesn't just play it to finish it says it takes them longer, Halo usually can be completed very fast. Hell if you wanted to you can beat Anniversary in 1 hour without any glitches.

Korten12:

008Zulu:

RadioactiveMicrobe:

Honestly, I have heard people who played it on Reddit said it's only 6 hours if you literally rush through it completely. Everyone who doesn't just play it to finish it says it takes them longer, Halo usually can be completed very fast. Hell if you wanted to you can beat Anniversary in 1 hour without any glitches.

One hour might be pushing it a little, but I ddi search around out of curiosity and I did manage to find one guy who beat Anniversary in 5 hours.

Korten12:

008Zulu:

RadioactiveMicrobe:

From the people I've talked to, 6-8 is the time. 6 is on the low end, and 8 is just playing through it normally.

Either way, not a fan. Huge Halo fanboy here, and I knew it'd be subpar, but I wasn't going to say it for lack of trying.

RadioactiveMicrobe:

Korten12:

008Zulu:

From the people I've talked to, 6-8 is the time. 6 is on the low end, and 8 is just playing through it normally.

Either way, not a fan. Huge Halo fanboy here, and I knew it'd be subpar, but I wasn't going to say it for lack of trying.

On Normal? So Legendary can take quite a bit longer. Also how does it now equal quanity = Quality? The game seems to be the same length as other Halo games, and I don't see how the length determines quality.

Korten12:

RadioactiveMicrobe:

Korten12:

On Normal? So Legendary can take quite a bit longer. Also how does it now equal quanity = Quality? The game seems to be the same length as other Halo games, and I don't see how the length determines quality.

Don't forget that we have Spartan Ops too, they say that it's actually longer than ODST.

Korten12:

The Fonsz:
Typical of the escapist to hate Halo and attack every little flaw in the game. Your getting payed by Activision to say cod is better. You guys give dishonored and assassins creed better scores and every other review site gives Halo is better than both.

The Escapist reviews are crap, and the only thing that runs this site is zero and jim the rest of you guys should resign.

Oh boy... Here we go...

Also how is 4/5 bad?

OhJohnNo:
Oh look, people are getting disappointed it was only 4/5.

May I recommend some insightful reference material?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten

I liked this review because it is very balanced.
Other reviews I have seen have hailed Halo like it signified the reaching of some form of plateau on the mountain of gaming.
This positive, but nevertheless critical review sounds much more honest and has actually had greater appeal to me - aka increased the likelyhood that I will buy this game - than those other AAA+ reviews.
I get that 343 industries cannot afford to fail with this and so pressure on all press outlets is high to give the game a good review (or forever fuck up with the publisher/developer) but in the longrun this way of open criticising "the little things" that are wrong with a game will give you greater credebility and make the reviews on this website that much more worth in advertisement.
While I leave other magazines and sites unsure whether or not I can trust the 10/10 rating the game has got (together with 3 other AAA games) your websites provides me with valuable information that I feel I can trust and this furthers my relationship with both you and the games you really promote.
If I was a company I would value this honesty of yours, because it means that a B from you is worth much more than an A+ from some yay-sayer on the other end of the web.
Cheers.

Great review, although I'm dissapointed that Michael Salvatori isn't making the soundtrack this time around (read, MASSIVE dissapointment), the game still looks like lots of fun, as for the story, I don't think it'll be any worse than Halo 2 (yup, that game had a campaign).

remnant_phoenix:

Korten12:

The Fonsz:
Typical of the escapist to hate Halo and attack every little flaw in the game. Your getting payed by Activision to say cod is better. You guys give dishonored and assassins creed better scores and every other review site gives Halo is better than both.

The Escapist reviews are crap, and the only thing that runs this site is zero and jim the rest of you guys should resign.

Oh boy... Here we go...

Also how is 4/5 bad?

OhJohnNo:
Oh look, people are getting disappointed it was only 4/5.

May I recommend some insightful reference material?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten

Oh you should take a glance over the comments section accompanying the EGM review. It's like feeding time at the zoo.

m19:
You shouldn't have to read any book.

I can't believe it took 30 posts or so to state the bloody obvious. If your plot requires the player to go to a different medium to be properly explained then you are a bad storyteller and your game has bad storytelling.

Oh. The single player content is lacking? Then I may think twice about this game. I don't play games for multiplayer.

To be honest, after boosting myself up properly for the massive letdown that was Halo 3 and ODST.........I'm not going anywhere near this one at all.

I'm just going to stay in my little bubble and troll the shit out of my "supa-dupaHaloobsessed andtattooedfriends" for the week. Its what keeps me going through work.

Shocksplicer:
As far as I'm concerned Reach is non-canon, and so long as Halo 4 doesn't follow on from how things were handled in Reach that is actually possible.

Really? I would assume that people would consider the books non-canon since Bungie is kinda like, the creators of the games and their stories, while the books, I'd imagine, were just outsourced to a publishing company? I guess that's just the pitfall of having a franchise branch out into other forms of media, everyone has their own take on it.

Anyways, it's too bad that this Halo, while being regarded as a good game in it's scores, the actual content of the reviews all seem to be suggesting that it isnt quite up to standard. The biggest disappointment being that 343 didn't take any risks. I mean, this could have been a whole new world, with new enemies, allies, and lore. But it's looking like the same old Human vs. Covenant fight we've seen four times already.

How much replay value is there in this game,exactly? Could you play through the campaign at least four times without getting bored?

Woodsey:

m19:

I can't believe it took 30 posts or so to state the bloody obvious. If your plot requires the player to go to a different medium to be properly explained then you are a bad storyteller and your game has bad storytelling.

It's bloody odd that the writers would assume everyone who'll play this is that into Halo.

jollybarracuda:

Shocksplicer:
As far as I'm concerned Reach is non-canon, and so long as Halo 4 doesn't follow on from how things were handled in Reach that is actually possible.

Really? I would assume that people would consider the books non-canon since Bungie is kinda like, the creators of the games and their stories, while the books, I'd imagine, were just outsourced to a publishing company? I guess that's just the pitfall of having a franchise branch out into other forms of media, everyone has their own take on it.

Anyways, it's too bad that this Halo, while being regarded as a good game in it's scores, the actual content of the reviews all seem to be suggesting that it isnt quite up to standard. The biggest disappointment being that 343 didn't take any risks. I mean, this could have been a whole new world, with new enemies, allies, and lore. But it's looking like the same old Human vs. Covenant fight we've seen four times already.

The reason I want Reach to be non-canon is because all the books rely on each other, and Halo 4 relies on the books. Nothing relies on Reach. So if Reach was made non-canon it would only affect Reach. If Reach is canon it really muddies the waters of the canon established in the books, and extends to Halo 4. Also, the version of events portrayed in Reach was crap.

Also, as for your comments about 343 taking no risks: It takes place on a whole new world. It features new enemies. It almost certainly features new allies. It features loads of new lore.

Shocksplicer:

Also, as for your comments about 343 taking no risks: It takes place on a whole new world. It features new enemies. It almost certainly features new allies. It features loads of new lore.

My statement was based off some reviews that I'd seen so far for it, first being:

"Moving him out into the middle of nowhere and cutting him off from his allies is an idea with huge potential. So that's why I find the storytelling side of Halo 4 to be fairly disappointing. Within the first few hours you've fought enemies that go all the way back to the first game in the franchise and you've reconnected with the human race."
-Jeff Gerstmann (GiantBomb)

And second being looking at the Escapist video review. I counted about 2 or 3 times where the Prometheans were actually shown fighting, most of it is just the Covenant.

So while yes, Halo 4 does take place on a new planet, with a new alien species, it doesn't appear to really make much use of it, simply using it all as a backdrop for another Humans vs. Covenant squabble.

Maybe i'm just reading too much between the lines, but as much as i love the Halo franchise, I can say i'm a bit skeptical about how this will be sitting with me come release.

Reginald:
How much replay value is there in this game,exactly? Could you play through the campaign at least four times without getting bored?

In theory, yes. Once for normal, another to finish it on harder difficulty, co-op and then some combination of the previous 3 but with various skulls on as well.

jollybarracuda:
And second being looking at the Escapist video review. I counted about 2 or 3 times where the Prometheans were actually shown fighting, most of it is just the Covenant.

So while yes, Halo 4 does take place on a new planet, with a new alien species, it doesn't appear to really make much use of it, simply using it all as a backdrop for another Humans vs. Covenant squabble.

Maybe i'm just reading too much between the lines, but as much as i love the Halo franchise, I can say i'm a bit skeptical about how this will be sitting with me come release.

Part of that was due to certain sections we were asked not to spoil. Overall, it sort of goes back in forth and at various times mixes the two. Hard to nail down an exact number, but I'd hazard a guess around 60-40 split in favor of the Prometheans over how often you're fighting them instead of Covenant.

Slycne:

Part of that was due to certain sections we were asked not to spoil. Overall, it sort of goes back in forth and at various times mixes the two. Hard to nail down an exact number, but I'd hazard a guess around 60-40 split in favor of the Prometheans over how often you're fighting them instead of Covenant.

Ah, i guess I can see why they wouldn't want it all spoiled. Well then I stand corrected, which i'm quite happy about as I do love me a good Halo game, and that was the big thing really worrying me about this game. Thanks for the clarification.

Korten12:

m19:

Thing is though, Halo is a franchise, not just a game series, like someone also said on this forum, 343i is essentially Halo's LucasArts. Halo has too big of a universe to ignore it, and 343i knows that.

You can understand the story fine without reading, but many references will go over your head.

And.... 10k POSTS!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I love it when there are subtle (and not so subtle) novel tie-ins in my gaming.

Mass Effect 3 had a good amount of extended universe material in the core game, and you appreciate that type of stuff as a nod to the more rabid fans of the chosen franchise when it happens.

I've only just gotten onto the Halo train.... (I know.. I know, better late that never though right?) so am starting Combat Evolved Anniversary now, along with reading Fall of Reach to kick off some Halo-ism.

I love discovering looked over franchises..

jollybarracuda:

...while the books, I'd imagine, were just outsourced to a publishing company? I guess that's just the pitfall of having a franchise branch out into other forms of media, everyone has their own take on it.

What? They weren't outsourced, the books were considered full canon. Now for 343i everything is canon, all major characters aside from Palmer in Halo 4, are from the books. Since their rule is everything fit.

I mean, this could have been a whole new world, with new enemies, allies, and lore. But it's looking like the same old Human vs. Covenant fight we've seen four times already.

What? You fight the Prometheans more then the Covenant. Plus based on what I can see, this game is the start of the Second Human-Forerunner War. That's pretty big, not simply Human vs. Covenant.

Doesn't sound like I need to get this day one. I love multiplayer, but I want a well balanced single player as well. I'll wait for a Black Friday sale.

Why does Halo 4 get 4 stars out of five and Assassins Creed 3 get 5 stars and only a year ago we had revelations, I don't get it? This review gives no clarity on Halo 4 is all about and all the hard work 343i put in. I mean Halo 4 has spent nearly 3.5 years in development and AC3 1.7 its silly.

Just a question do the reviewers even clarify with each other do they know what should be a 5 or a 4 caus it seems to me they don't.

The Fonsz:
Why does Halo 4 get 4 stars out of five and Assassins Creed 3 get 5 stars and only a year ago we had revelations, I don't get it? This review gives no clarity on Halo 4 is all about and all the hard work 343i put in. I mean Halo 4 has spent nearly 3.5 years in development and AC3 1.7 its silly.

Just a question do the reviewers even clarify with each other do they know what should be a 5 or a 4 caus it seems to me they don't.

That's...That's not how reviews work. A game doesn't get points for how long its been development.

The Fonsz:

You know, reviews are subjective. Besides years in development doesn't necessarily equal quality.

maddawg IAJI:
That's...That's not how reviews work. A game doesn't get points for how long its been development.

See Duke Nukem Forever.

So game was made cheaper, yet sold at the same price, plus quality has gone down because of layoffs and the depression, though still sold at the same price.

Let me guess, Halo Reach servers will be discontinued quicker too, because of the depression that America is still not recovering from.

Wow, people complaining about an 8/10? Or HATE out of 10 as Jim Sterling recently put it.

So funny, after I read the review I just knew people were going be ranting against the Escapist "slamming" Halo 4 or giving it a "bad score" but even I am surprised it only took three posts.

I really want to play this game but I only play on PC as that fits my life better right now. I have beaten all of the other Halo games it is the only console first person shooter I have ever really liked.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here