Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Review

Pages PREV 1 2

Joccaren:

dumbseizure:
I...uh....what?

Both games have the same amount of repetitiveness, in both multi-player and campaign. Saying you prefer one over the other is like saying you prefer a Toyota Camry over the Holden Apollo (because they're the same car....just....badged.....differently). *ahem*

Anyway, I have been enjoying Blops2 so far, and this review is actually pretty much how I feel about it as well. First time in a while I have read an escapist review and agreed with it.

Eh, I'll have to disagree here.
Whilst BF3 is far closer to CoD than the previous installments, at least IMO, it is still a very different game in the multiplayer.
Sure, pure infantry deathmatches on the smaller maps might feel the same, but full 64 player matches with aircraft, armoured infantry and a playstyle that is more often than not based around capturing bases, rather than simply killing each other, on large maps [Even if all the bases are stuck together stupid Dice *grumbles*], different balancing of instant kills [They usually don't exist without vehichles... usually].
From the outside, they look very similar. In the campaign, they are very similar. In large scale PC multiplayer matches, they are quite different, though that often depends on the map and mode.

pretty much that.
the SP is of course the same as cod. lots of QTE and shooting. wile the MP is the best part of it.
thats why i prefer more BF3 because you have bigger maps. and at least no kill streaks and perks that you have to worry about a heli that can shoot you down 7 times in a row.

i even took my time to view some reviews on youtube to see the MP and how everything works. even when it sounds more balanced with the perks and kill streaks, im still not convinced that the game play as such will be better.

at least until you die instantly because you accidentally ran off the level and "you've abandoned you mission." You don't even get a warning to turn back. Here's an exciting mission that stretches the boundaries for a military shooter, then slaps you back down for not playing by its rules.

I never got that in the Russian defence mission, but I did get it in the mission where you have to defend the president in a jet fighter. Seriously, they give you a rediculously tiny area to fly around in and they tell you that you have an afterburner! If you use it for more than 2 seconds then you get shot off the end of the map. Really disappointed that they didn't capitalise on the jet idea more.

nexus:
You know, I don't understand.

Coming off of the review-apocalypse for Medal of Honor, how it was lamented for being the "worst thing about gaming today", I'm kind of surprised they gave *any* praise for Call of Duty. It's exactly the same, and is everything that is boring about gaming today.

Multiplayer is the same, and I can't speak for the singleplayer, but you're telling me it's that much different than what it was before? I doubt it.

Medal of Honor was universally panned, Call of Duty is universally praised as always. Both games are equal suck. Critic sites are not applying the same issues they had with MOH to the COD reviews, it is rather jarring. Basically the setting is "futuristic" so it's okay?

The problem with MOH is that it's fundamentally broken. At least Blops 2 not only still functions as more of a game than MOH, but it also tries, in a variety of ways, to inject some new things into its aging design. Critics have been complementing Treyarch's efforts to give players something new than just another modern military shooter. MOH just shamelessly apes both Battlefield and CoD without understanding what makes either of them work. Its sole existence is based on a failed tactic to mimic Activision's plan of one CoD every year by having MOH switch off with Battlefield in that regard. Basically, MOH is the epitome of everything wrong with the industry in that its a game that no one asked for, no one wanted to play, and was hyped to hell and back but ended up being a hallow, worthless thing designed to do nothing but grab the cash of those infatuated with modern military shooters.

In a nutshell.

Riding a horse armed with a rocket launcher blowing up soviet tanks?

Nobody else find this scene highly... comical?

nexus:

Medal of Honor was universally panned, Call of Duty is universally praised as always. Both games are equal suck. Critic sites are not applying the same issues they had with MOH to the COD reviews, it is rather jarring. Basically the setting is "futuristic" so it's okay?

Blops 2 does everything MOH does far, far better and then adds a whole lot more.

The campaign isn't riddled with bugs for a start, it has far better and far more frequent actual gunplay, more open level design, far more environmental and activity variety and has plenty of new stuff never seen before in the missions, such as...

Wait a minute. I'm arguing with someone who is criticizing a campaign they haven't even played. Lol.

Tiamat666:

This a precisely why Blops 2's campaign is so much fun. They took it up to 11 in almost every aspect and embraced the sheer lunacy of it all.

MiracleOfSound:

nexus:

Blops 2 does everything MOH does far, far better and then adds a whole lot more.

The campaign isn't riddled with bugs for a start, it has far better and far more frequent actual gunplay, more open level design, far more environmental and activity variety and has plenty of new stuff never seen before in the missions, such as...

Wait a minute. I'm arguing with someone who is criticizing a campaign they haven't even played. Lol.

Well, yea I haven't played it, and don't really plan to, lol. I'm sure it's a little "different" in a manner of speaking, but it's going to be just like the other CoDs in function. I never invest much in these games because I hate their multiplayer style, and $60 forever (they never drop price) is too much for the lackluster campaigns, in my opinion.

So yea, I believe you when you say it's different and adds new features, but it's still Call of Duty. I won't begrudge someone for playing it (anymore), I just thought it was interesting that it doesn't get any critical neggo for basically being everything that critics usually hate during the "CoD off-season".

Haven't played it yet, and don't really feel like it, what attracted me to the first Black Ops was the fact that it was set in Vietnam, plus, setting CoD in the future with big robots is kinda "If I want sci-fi there're more traditional brands out there" you know? Yes i know, I'm being very ignorant here, but that's something I do, with EVERYTHING, I tend to stick with the devil I know, on CoD's favor, I always prefer it to any other game when it comes to World War II.

HOWEVER, seeing the gameplay it really feels impressive, so despite my downright prejudice, this looks like a badass game.

Anyway, what I truly came to say was something else: reading the facebook comments on the review I must say that reviewing games like CoD nowadays is a job that requires BALLS. There's so much HATE in those comments, people are bashing the game simply because it's CoD, and the reviewer because he gave it a 4 star. I'm getting tired of this nerdy-gamer behavior, this unjustifiable hate towards Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Gears of War, it's starting to feel like they don't even care about quality, they just hate it because it came from a big company, because it's successful, it's irrational, so much so it's actually scary.

Milanezi:
I'm getting tired of this nerdy-gamer behavior, this unjustifiable hate towards Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Gears of War, it's starting to feel like they don't even care about quality, they just hate it because it came from a big company, because it's successful, it's irrational, so much so it's actually scary.

Just got to say quickly, after playing Warfighter, any hate towards Medal of Honor is kiiiiiiiiinda justified.

dumbseizure:

Milanezi:
I'm getting tired of this nerdy-gamer behavior, this unjustifiable hate towards Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Gears of War, it's starting to feel like they don't even care about quality, they just hate it because it came from a big company, because it's successful, it's irrational, so much so it's actually scary.

Just got to say quickly, after playing Warfighter, any hate towards Medal of Honor is kiiiiiiiiinda justified.

But you see it, the way you put it, you don't hate it because it's MoH, you hate it, or just didn't like it, because it didn't live up to your expectations, or maybe was even subpar to what any game in the genre should be. That's not only justifiable and normal, it's also potentially constructive, IF you voice why you hated it (not to me, but somewhere MoH developers will read), and they learn from their mistakes. I didn't play RE 6, I sincerely think I'll play it sooner or later because the whole crazy got my attention, for a while now I've treated RE more like an anime with monsters than a survival horror, but people who are true fans hated the game, and if things turn out as they should Capcom WILL listen to fans before releasing a new game; that's because no one is bad mouthing RE for being RE or being a Capcom game, they just sincerely felt letdown by the product.

Tsaba:

Susan Arendt:

It is far, far, FAR more likely that I will insert random pictures of kittens and/or otters into every show on our schedule. :)

Actually, now that I say it, that sounds kind of brilliant...

Well, lets start.

While I have yet, to get this game, I will reserve my judgment until I see their approach to DLC. Instead of spending 15 dollars on DLC, my money would be better spent on watching the suffering of those participating on desert bus.

That...is beautiful. Might have to replace the "Ha!" with it.

Haven't gotten it yet, but so far from my friends that have played it, all I've heard is "Well, it's better than MW 3, but...ehhhhhh......"

In the end, I think the gaming community is FINALLY starting (that's the keyword: "starting") to get over it's love affair with CoD games.

That said, I'll still probably end up getting it here in the next few days. :P

erttheking:

wombat_of_war:
seriously big yellow objective markers over a tank that tell the player "destroy"? i worry about gamers these days

Can't help but feel like that isn't really something to get worked up over.

Thats because it isnt.

OT: This was actually a pretty positive sounding review. I was thinking it was gonna get ragged on simply because it was COD.

Maybe I'll look at a used version around Christmas. Since CoD4 I've always had the impression that Treyarch's versions always felt a bit more clunky in multiplayer than Infinity Ward's but they put some extra charm and heart into their single player and co-op zombies modes.

Susan Arendt:

Tsaba:

Susan Arendt:

It is far, far, FAR more likely that I will insert random pictures of kittens and/or otters into every show on our schedule. :)

Well, lets start.

While I have yet, to get this game, I will reserve my judgment until I see their approach to DLC. Instead of spending 15 dollars on DLC, my money would be better spent on watching the suffering of those participating on desert bus.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/398160/events/1594566/player_pop_up

Or you could replace every video with this. No one would hold it against you if you did. :D

EDIT: Oh right, there was a review here, not just kittens.
I'll probably end up with Blops2 sometime in the future. It just doesn't have my full attention right now. Plus The Walking Dead Episode 5 is out in 5 days. So...yeah. :D

Susan Arendt:

Tsaba:

Susan Arendt:

Well, lets start.

I will also back the kitten/otter movment!

OT: I am very much enjoying this game.

I don't like Mordern shooters... at all, but that horse level looks pretty badass. Riding down a tank with a horse mounted bazooka! YES PLEASE!!!

I never would've guessed COD getting positive reviews...its not like every single version does because...its COD. I'm guessing here, but COD:MW4 is going to get 4/5 or 90-100 depending on scale, its also going to sell a lot of copies. Here's another prediction COD:BO3 is going to get 4/5 or 90-100 and COD:MW5 is going to get 4/5 or 90-100, etc.

Nice to know that even generally sympathetic reviewers are getting sick of this tired, old genre. Maybe we can evolve from it at some po-

Sorry, couldn't finish that sentence with a straight face.

Tiamat666:

Most people exactly enjoy codblops2 as that mindless popcorn action flick with occasional interactive bits.

Tiamat666:

I might have, if it hadn't been lifted whole-cloth from Rambo III:

Marik Bentusi:

Tiamat666:

Most people exactly enjoy codblops2 as that mindless popcorn action flick with occasional interactive bits.

mindless, same-old-same-old, built 5 years ago, yet somehow able to get 4/5. I find it interesting that reviewers are willing to give COD:BO2 4/5 or 90-100 even though its the same game for 5 years but won't give MOH:W anything above a 60...but ya its legit.

Tiamat666:

If by comical you mean bloody awesome then yes.
The level literally ends with you charging head on against a double barreled tank the size of a city block.

Susan Arendt:

Dangit2019:

Phlakes:

Oh. Well that definitely explains it.

I still trust the Escapist people to be awesome like always, but that's a little worrying. Hopefully it ends up a good thing.

"In accordance with Smosh's creative decisions, the Escapist will replace every show on it's schedule with 5 minutes of the Smosh stars shouting random words into the camera."

-My Greatest Nightmare

I think you should reupload ZP videos with the image of Yahtzee wearing cat ears spliced in the videos.

I almost feel bad for saying it...but the game doesn't look as awful as I thought it would.
It certainly seems to have put some twists on the stale formula of old, and it's nice to see them finally fix the multiplayer. Well. Maybe not 'fix' but they at least evolved it beyond that create-a-class bullshit.
Though I must agree, it seems as though it could have been much more.
Especially the robots--those looked like they could present the game with so much (levels designed around the robots' highly diverse abilities, primarily).
I may actually consider spending money on this...

Right now I'm just glad that the gameplay for the Call of Duty series has finally had enough changes to warrant a purchase. One of the problems with releasing a new game so regularly is that there are so few changes between each successive game that it's like buying expansion packs. In fact, I think I had a similar experience happen with the Halo series going from Halo 3 to ODST and then to Reach, though to be fair they did do a lot more changes between ODST and Reach than Activisions developers did with Modern Warfare titles.

The moment they made me climb on a cliff with future gloves, play dual spiderman-rope with a dude who sounds like Danny DeVito, then have me Batman all the way down through the jungle to infiltrate the enemy stronghold, I was pretty much convinced that the game would be awesome.

But yes, I pretty much agree with everything. I do seem to suck in multiplayer more than ever in Blops 2 though.

But the biggest improvement, to me, is the enabling of 4 player splitscreen zombies. I'm going to have some zombie blasting fun with my friends :D

So far I'm having fun. It helps I have a team of friends to play the multiplayer.
Single player was fun but the strike force missions kind of threw me off they weren't difficult but felt a little tedious to me.

ARCTIC_EAGLE:

Marik Bentusi:

Tiamat666:

mindless, same-old-same-old, built 5 years ago, yet somehow able to get 4/5. I find it interesting that reviewers are willing to give COD:BO2 4/5 or 90-100 even though its the same game for 5 years but won't give MOH:W anything above a 60...but ya its legit.

Not a fan of either, so most of my info is second-hand. Codblops2 did seem to have a much more ridiculous/fantastic campaign like shooting down waves of helicopters while riding across an open area on a horseback or swinging around in a lush mountain area with I-can-climb-on-anything-nanogloves and Fuck-the-gloves-I'll-use-these swingy ropes.
That seems like much more "pure fun" and seeming to offer more varied/colorful backgrounds than the more linear and gritty Doorfighter. Blops2 even dabbled in moral choices a teeny tiny bit.

Can't say all that makes such a huge difference for me, but I think I can see the general angle where people are coming from.

Marik Bentusi:

Not a fan of either, so most of my info is second-hand. Codblops2 did seem to have a much more ridiculous/fantastic campaign like shooting down waves of helicopters while riding across an open area on a horseback or swinging around in a lush mountain area with I-can-climb-on-anything-nanogloves and Fuck-the-gloves-I'll-use-these swingy ropes.
That seems like much more "pure fun" and seeming to offer more varied/colorful backgrounds than the more linear and gritty Doorfighter. Blops2 even dabbled in moral choices a teeny tiny bit.

Can't say all that makes such a huge difference for me, but I think I can see the general angle where people are coming from.

i hear a lot of good things about it as well. people told me that the MP is much better then in the last black ops and especially soooo much better then MW3.
one guy told me that the MP in MW3 turned him off but black ops 2 changed his mind and says its more balanced then in any cod game.

Eh . . . problems with this game. Namely the multiplayer maps, for the most part they're all fucking terrible. Especially Domination with it's linearly placed objectives. Once a team caps B Flag it is fucking hard to take it back. The most ironic thing is that there's a half time where the teams switch sides, but the maps are basically mirror images of each other a lot of the time so switching sides is totally irrelevant.

In MW3 the flag placement was for the most part circular, B flag was often a bitch to contest but at the same time you could get around and cap their flag. Not so anymore. Flags are all wide fricken open.

The guns are pretty much the same. I would expect more futuristic stuff but instead we've got the same MP4 and same semtex and blah de blah. Same Smaw, same lock on AA, same RPG. The worst is the Bouncing Betty which is pretty much a sure kill most of the time.

While it's cool to customize the character to the degree they offer, why the level-based unlocks? Why give both level availability AND unlock keys. Just have everything available from the get go, and allow the player to unlock what they want.

Overall, I got to about level 40 but I've had my fill for now.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here