Zero Punctuation: Halo 4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Geo Da Sponge:

Yellowbeard:

OuendanCyrus:
Never been a huge fan of Halo, only played Combat Evolved on the PC and got bored halfway through.

Man, I got bored before the opening cutscene was over and quit ten minutes later. Dull, dull, dull.

Oh yeah? Well I managed to get bored just glancing at the box art! I got so bored I stopped breathing and had to be resuscitated!

Yeah! Well, I was bored of Halo before it was even made. So bored, in fact, I quite literally died.

OK so I'll take that as a "meh." I'm surprised he didn't mention anything from Mission 5 other than The Librarian Voldemort's Mom. The amount of idiotic elements in that mission was jarring, and I think it's because a lot of it was about injecting elements from CoD that didn't belong in Halo. You shouldn't need a target designator to operate the giant artillery piece that is on the same giant vehicle that you are, especially when you're target is a giant anti-spaceship laser cannon, that is what an on-board console is for.

Waaghpowa:
My only gripe is difficulty. I choose legendary difficulty and it isn't even difficult, just inconsistent. As Yahtzee pointed out, you kinda just die from random bullshit.

That should not have been a problem, you just test out the enemy guns and see what they do. Maybe the lack of a proper health bar is throwing you off?

I would agree with him on the weapon sounds if they weren't made more deadly this time round, the Covy weapons actually sound terrifying, instead of sounding like they were produced by Mattel.

I have never understood the complaints regarding the story, why is it i can play all the games and understand it with little to no questions, and some people get confused when the word "Arbiter" is mentioned? -.- i have only ever heard a few things from the books and looked up a few (unimportant) things on the Halo Wiki, and i understand it near enough perfectly.

I admit, other characters such as Palmer, the Captain and the Commander are a little bland, Palmer is developed more in Spartan Ops, something Yahtzee could of mentioned as, while you need XBl to play it, you can go it alone, kinda like Zombies or Spec Ops.

I wish there was a Boss Battle, but Halo has never had true boss fights (even the Prophet of Regret is killed by button mashing in H2) but they could of done it better.

All in all, it's not by any means perfect, but it's still a good game, and doesn't (in my opinion) deserve the amount of criticism it gets, basically, if you have played it since 2001...you will love it, if you haven't played the other games, you will be left out on the loop a little, but should be able to follow it fairly well, and if you hate the Halo series, don't bother. I would choose this over Black Ops 2 any day.

i think you really need to have started halo at a young age to fully appreciate it. i think Yahtzee just doesn't understand it for that reason, starting off in halo 3. 1 and 2 were the best anyway.
the thing i personally disliked about halo 4 was the lack of signature halo music. thats what made the series for me. my favourite cut-scene was when it played some of the original music.

L0N3W0LF911:

Cecilthedarkknight_234:
I'll just say it as a halo fan, the story was wrapped up in the third game despite not being the ending everyone wanted. Tacking on new story seems pointless to me when some big name characters died in the 3rd game as well. I know that halo 3 hasn't aged that well multi player wise as well, however that's not really a reason to release a brand new game and mess up story that was finished/Rant over.

did you not complete it on legendary? they left it wide open

oh for the love of god are you kidding me??? No I never went back to the campaign after doing the play-through and in all honesty games shouldn't require to play "HARD AS HELL SETTING" to unlock a secret ending. Time to hit up you-tube I suppose <_<

I remember playing Halo 2 on my original Xbox, which was my first experience with Halo at the time, and thinking it was incredibly boring. I played Halo 4 thinking it would be just as boring but actually had a good deal of fun with it. Playing it on Heroic in Solo and then Legendary Co-op gave a great deal of satisfaction everytime I managed to beat the next encounter.

Can't wait to see the Call of Duty Black Ops 2 review. hehehe

hmm these are odd complaints i have never heard before nor exsperienced
but whataver

I was really looking forward to 343 really messing around with the Halo formula and instead they made the safest blandest entry in the series to date. Oh well maybe now that they've proven to the fanboys they can make the old boring Halo they like they can make a new crazy Halo that people like me will like next time around.

As a long-suffering fan of Halo, I'd say Yahtzee is fairly on the money. It's still a good game, unfortunately with a pedigree like Halo, nothing short of groundbreaking would make the fans (myself included) happy, and boy oh boy did 343i play it safe with this one.

Waaghpowa:
That's something about Halo that's always perplexed me, the alien weapons. They all look so ridiculously like toys. When you envision alien weapons, do you think nerf guns with glow sticks on them? I don't. Also, why is it in every Halo game, human weapons always seem to be the best guns, or is that just me?

I've found on the hardest difficulty human guns aren't worth carrying around for longer than it takes to find their alien equivalent. A nice contrast to the BR being the best gun around on easy

Edit: Wrong quote

Im not gonna lie, Halo is one of my favorite franchises, but its nice to see it cut down to size now and again lol

The Tall Nerd:
but whataver

Well, since this thread is pretty much just an echo-chamber for Yahtzee's opinions, none of us are probobly gonna hear the end of it lol

I had to go and check out the ending 'battle' on youtube, assuming your description to be an exaggeration, and boy did I have a laugh. Not only was the QTE worse than I thought, but those awful textures, obnoxiously loud SFX, terrible and monotone voice acting, and pitiful writing in general really gave me a good laugh.

Xdeser2:

The Tall Nerd:
but whataver

Well, since this thread is pretty much just an echo-chamber for Yahtzee's opinions, none of us are probobly gonna hear the end of it lol

to true
but i am playing a fun shooter
i don't really care what they think

pretentious posters are pretentious and all that

Waaghpowa:
That's something about Halo that's always perplexed me, the alien weapons. They all look so ridiculously like toys. When you envision alien weapons, do you think nerf guns with glow sticks on them? I don't. Also, why is it in every Halo game, human weapons always seem to be the best guns, or is that just me?

On another note, Halo 4 is the only Halo game since 2 that I'd say was decent. My only gripe is difficulty. I choose legendary difficulty and it isn't even difficult, just inconsistent. As Yahtzee pointed out, you kinda just die from random bullshit.

The forerunner weapons he criticized as looking like toys also caught flak in other areas too. I don't remember if he said it in the review but they are basically light-based versions of human weapons. There are reasons for this, however. The promethean knights that wield them have a backstory explained in game and it kinda explains in canon why they are like forerunner versions of human weapons, and since you played it on legendary you prob already know that. Plus, there is the multiplayer side of things for balance of weapons in competitive matches.

As for the Covy weapons, I've always liked them. I agree they do kinda seem like toys but I just accepted that as the aesthetic of the covenant. They shoot energy projectiles based more often on an energy source/battery than an actual clip of ammo. Also, I love the colors. Halo has always been colorful. I remember people always throwing it in with the rest of the grey/brown shooters and that always irked me. The fact that Yahtzee acknowledged Halo 4 wasn't like Battlefield or CoD is one of those things that will keep me watching ZP. In Halo and Halo 2 on legendary you'd be taking cover behind a wall being shot at by...

Plasma pistol (green)
Plasma rifle (blue)
Needler (purple/pink)
Plasma grenade (blue)
Brute Plasma rifle (red)

The fact that all those ^^ are a neon colors makes it practically a Pink Floyd light show.

I've always thought that the human semi-auto guns like the BR and new one have always had their aim a little screwy. Like I'd use them to get headshots on the knights and I'd kill them, but sometimes I'd swear to myself I didn't hit them in head for the kill shot but they went down anyway. I dunno

Balkan:
Another example of Yahtzee neither hateing nor liking a game . The result is always a boring review, sorry dude .You should have reviewed Epic Mickey 2 or something.

Yes, he should review a game that at most came out 3 days ago (Wii U) or at least came out 1 day ago (every other system).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3540-Hunted-The-Demons-Forge

Watch the first minute, you might learn something.

Personaly, I liked playing online when me and 6 other friends went over to my one friend's house and we clocked an all nighter online. The only reason it was fun was because of the local. It got a litte coo-coo bonkers around our midnight griffball matches.

When Yahtzee says sniffing its own farts, does plot sniff through its neck, or are the farts coming from the front end?

erttheking:
"Sticks head out from out behind cover" Is it over? Oh...well that wasn't too bad. I admit I'm tired as Hell as everyone saying that Halo is just for twelve year olds, but Yahtzee's review wasn't too bad, and I kinda knew that he wasn't going to like it. It really seems less like he hates Halo and more like he doesn't care, besides what goes on in the story seems to be more tailored for Halo fans like myself, so it's understandable that he was lost. At least he says that the characterization was improved but...wait a minute, Del Rio is well characterized...uh...no he isn't. Wow, never thought that Yahtzee would praise a part of Halo and I would disagree with him.

Also four years of masturbating...HA!

Yea Del Rio was there to basically be a terrible leader and be a foil to Chief and Cortana, thing is they didn't even do it in a good way. He just came off in a way that didn't even attempt to disguise his purpose as a plot point.

Ur other picture was an ODST helmet right? I think you might be as big of a halo fan as I am. So let me ask you. What did you think of the end "boss battle" qte?

It didn't really bother me, mostly because as it was happening my mind was firmly held in the realm of meta. Having read the books and knowing just who the Didact was (all but confirmed that was the Ur-Didact you kill) and his rank/history of command, to me any other way of doing it wouldn't feel right. Now I am not a huge fan of quick time events but I thought that it didn't detract from the ending too much. The Didact is basically a god. From reading the books and knowing the forerunners for what they are, he of course isn't a god, but nevertheless he is portrayed as being nigh unstoppable with immense power the entire time. From how he descended from his cryptum, has his armor formed around him, simply waved a hand and took control of the prometheans and the covenant at once, continually held the chief in some kind of grip. I just couldn't imagine fighting him like the spartan lazer guilty spark ending. Would have been kinda lame.

I was expecting this reaction from Yahtzee actually. Just kind of indifferent. I knew people would be lost when the whole exposition scene with the Librarian happened. I'm actually still put off by them putting her (or her essence but pfft it might as well be her) in the game. She and the Didact (ur and bornstellar) are basically the only forerunner characters of any significance in the entire story, with maybe the exception of Master Builder Faber. I knew we'd see the Didact eventually but I kind of wished they would have kept the Librarian as sort of an enigma instead of coming right out and showing her.

Did anyone notice how many toy - references there were in this?

At least Halo isn't trying to be the next CoD knockoff!

Carlos Storm:

Waaghpowa:

I've found on the hardest difficulty human guns aren't worth carrying around for longer than it takes to find their alien equivalent. A nice contrast to the BR being the best gun around on easy...

I beg to differ. I can remember from Halo 2 that the fuel rod gun sucks HARD compared to the human equivalent: A dual-barreled rocket launcher with set-and-forget lock-on and target tracking plus it does more damage when it hits.

I agree with Yahtzee about the big open environments and the organic gameplay. As long as they keep that, then I'm happy.

Also, spunkgargleweewee is still not a real word.

Fair enough review.

Most of Yahtzee's criticisms are quite accurate, I must admit. Many of them I share.

Even so, I'm still, in the very least, a casual fan of the series. I still have fond memories of late-night co-op games of CE. I even load up the occasional play-session of ODST or Wars sometimes.

Still, while I must credit 343 with interjecting a slight touch of better characterization to the series story, they still didn't do anything that "wowed" me with Halo 4.

Maybe I'm biased, though. When they released the "HD" remake of Halo: CE, I wasn't just underwhelmed, I was appalled. How they managed to make CE run worse on the 360 was baffling.

Even so, Halo 4 isn't the "worst thing ever". It's a commendable start. Time will tell if 343 can keep this series alive and, more importantly, fresh.

Casual Shinji:
I'm always bewildered how Cortana gets more unnecessarily sexy and voluptuous each installment.

Does she have like special firmware updates?

I guess you could say they implanted new bits of code.

Anybody else find they get a massive full-screen advert when they try to play this? I can't even SEE the video that I came for.

Seriously guys, I don't even own a bloody X-box. If I want the stuff you're advertising, I'll click on the damn advertisement. Don't advertise a ZP video and give me an unskippable advert for - irony of ironies! - Halo 4. That stops the video I want from even loading.

TheMadDoctorsCat:
Anybody else find they get a massive full-screen advert when they try to play this? I can't even SEE the video that I came for.

Seriously guys, I don't even own a bloody X-box. If I want the stuff you're advertising, I'll click on the damn advertisement. Don't advertise a ZP video and give me an unskippable advert for - irony of ironies! - Halo 4. That stops the video I want from even loading.

Well, never mind, I got it in the end. There's something in the top right hand corner of the screen that looks as though it might be one of those "the content will appear after this ad" warnings, if the screen actually rendered enough of it to be able to read it.

Look, I know you guys are paid for by adverts, and I'm appreciative of the content. But these ads - especially putting a Halo ad in front of a Halo review - are just obnoxious.

I guess a bland mediocre game can only get a bland mediocre review, even when we're talking about Yahtzee.

I kept getting bored and losing focus through this particular review, I guess partly because I've never given two shits about Halo since they refuse to release a half-decent PC port, and partly because Yahtzee sounds more bored than mathematically possible :(

Cmon Yahtzee, you and everyone else are BORED of powered-armor-space-marine-cover-based-shooters, yes Halo 4 is one of those. (On that note, can we please give a proper name to that?)
Review something else like ZombieU, an Indy title, or some Kinect game! Or a JRPG!

That's two games in a row you've called boring now. Did Halo 4 just have bland samey challenges? Because it looks pretty quick.

I agree with the guns and their crappy sounds, they all sound so weak. I really enjoyed Counter Strike because how powerful most of the popular guns sounded, especially the AWP.

"and there were no boss fights to" something something
Yahtzee. Stop trying to turn every shooter into Painkiller. You can not necessarily improve all games by making them more similar to the select few youve decided to approve of.
I am not a fan of boss fights and think they are particularly unsuited for the fps genre.

Jabberwock King:

Waaghpowa:
My only gripe is difficulty. I choose legendary difficulty and it isn't even difficult, just inconsistent. As Yahtzee pointed out, you kinda just die from random bullshit.

That should not have been a problem, you just test out the enemy guns and see what they do. Maybe the lack of a proper health bar is throwing you off?

I'll admit that the lack of a proper health bar does make it difficult to gauge things, but it still feels inconsistent. There are times where I'll run around with no shields against a half dozen enemies and survive for an extended period of time with the incessant beeping, while other times I get killed almost instantly against the same enemy composition before my shield can beep once or twice.

I'm not new to Halo either, but I always preferred the classic shield and health bar system from Combat Evolved and ODST.
At least then you have a way to quantitatively measure how injured you are.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
It is true that reading the books before playing this is Warhammer 40K level of mandatory.

No, not really. I've read the first 3 books, and while it helped a little bit, it's not like you're going to miss a lot if you haven't read them. Everything is explained in some form or another in the game, even if it is just a passing mention.

i still feel the humor on these seems to have given way to just tearing the games a new asshole

"Gay African Mammoths" Oh wow, I wish they were in the game.

doggie015:
At least Halo isn't trying to be the next CoD knockoff!

Carlos Storm:

Waaghpowa:

I've found on the hardest difficulty human guns aren't worth carrying around for longer than it takes to find their alien equivalent. A nice contrast to the BR being the best gun around on easy...

I beg to differ. I can remember from Halo 2 that the fuel rod gun sucks HARD compared to the human equivalent: A dual-barreled rocket launcher with set-and-forget lock-on and target tracking plus it does more damage when it hits.

Oh I was really refering to the practical weapons you have to constantly carry around/deal with like the storm/assault rifle etc, but yeah the rocket launcher was really the only exception.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Well, at least Halo fans can say he likes it more than Call of Duty. That's something... I guess.

It is true that reading the books before playing this is Warhammer 40K level of mandatory.

first of all . There are halo books? secondly it is bad writing that people have to pretty much read the books to get what the hell is going on

sammysoso:

Not sure how you feel bored though, the game moves at a pretty brisk pace.

If you're not at all interested in what's happening, action can be really, really dull. I felt that way while playing various games (most recently Halo: Reach, my attempt to give the Halo franchise another go). Wading through hordes of baddies becomes tedious when your reward is a cutscene you find boring.

Setting the Wayback Machine, I had a weird experience with Unreal and its add-on campaign, "Return To Na Pali". I was thoroughly bored by Unreal which had very little story, save for what you found in journals all over the place. Lots of tough battles, but I just didn't care and I eventually god-moded my way through the game because I couldn't be bothered to put forth the effort to defeat enemies even on the lowest difficulty setting.

But I ended up enjoying the add-on because it had just enough of a story to get me interested and the same battles that bored me to tears in the original game were suddenly worthwhile.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here