Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part Four

Pages PREV 1 2

WaitWHAT:
A winner by the jimquisition's standards? That explains it! Doh ho ho ho, etc.

Oh, an interesting bit of trivia:

OT: So.....is anyone not expecting it to be Spec Ops: the line? Or have I just mis-read the signs.

To be fair she is a VERY prolific voice actress. So you hear her voice in a lot of things.

Jimothy Sterling:
I may have to address this at some point. I've played Spec Ops: The Line, I have a lot of respect for its narrative. However, there are flaws I found with the actual game aspect of it, enough to disqualify its place in the running. It was a most worthy contender, but unfortunately there are issue I had with it.

I'm pretty sure you've watched Extra Credits' episodes on The Line,but having a problem with the gameplay is a valid reason not to give it an award,so I'm okay with that.I should get Lone Survivor sometime(probably won't,because too much yet so little time)

You have convinced me to get Lone Survivor, but I can't see myself being swayed towards getting Lollypop Chainsaw. Even if it wasn't for the "fan-service", and "silliness", I just don't really like hack and slash games.

I think 99% of people who watch your videos, read your reviews or follow your twitter could easily predict tomorrows episode. I have to completely agree with the choice.

Nah Jim, this isn't the controversial episode for me. Lollipop Chainsaw was just pure fun for the sake of having fun, and at the end of the day that's what video games are supposed to be: fun. Good on you for giving a game credit for that. Too many gamers these days are busy being so stuck up about games needing the best stories ever and the best graphics ever and the best this and the best that and blah blah blah that they forget that games are supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT. And Lollipop Chainsaw is certainly that despite not having the most intelligent story or realistic gameplay.

No, the controversial episode for me was Journey yesterday (I tried to make a post then but this forum was being retarded and not letting me post because the stupid capctha or whatever wouldn't load. I can't believe this site still does that shitty attempt to get people to sign up for pub club. Captcha the new members, not ones who have been here for 3 years and have 4000+ posts. If I was a spambot I would have been banned for spamming ages ago you idiots, so stop trying to shove that horrible spambot excuse down all our throats). Just comparing the episodes for Today, Monday, and Tuesday to Journey's episode yesterday really says it all for me. You give reasons why Lollipop Chainsaw is fun. You describe events from the game. You actually have things to say about it, and you actually had things to say about Dishonored and Lone Survivor as well. But when it came time to try and sell me on Journey, all I got out of the episode is that it starts off with some boring as hell walking around in the desert but then there's some co-op and later the game becomes "compelling" and other words Yahtzee has described as coming from the "GameSpot Review Generator". That doesn't actually tell me anything about why I would want to try Journey. It tells me nothing of what the game is like. It just seemed to me that you had nothing tangible to say about it like you have for the other 3 games and will have tomorrow for The Walking Dead. And considering that this game comes from the same developers as the phenomenally bad Flower and flOw, the episode had the opposite effect of what you had intended: it convinced me that I should NOT play Journey because it sounds like it's in league with Flower and flOw: an art game that forgets about the second word of that label and just focuses on being art at the expense of actually having a game to play. I'd rather just go replay Limbo, as it remembered that art game means you're also supposed to have a game in there.

Also, where did you get that fucking awesome Clem hat?!

James Joseph Emerald:
I'm slightly disturbed that Lollipop Chainsaw got an award, yet Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, XCOM, Hitman: Absolution and Spec Ops: The Line didn't.

I can't speak for the rest of those games, but Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 don't deserve awards. They aren't outstanding games, not to me anyway. Mass Effect 3 is nothing but years of promises broken, plotholes only filled in if you pony up some money for DLC, and some really crappy third person shooting that tries to be like Uncharted and Gears of War but didn't learn the lesson Gears 3 taught us that take cover, dodge roll, run, move between cover, and vault over cover should not all be on the same button and thus results in a lot of frustrating deaths that are completely the game's fault because Shepard decided to take cover right next to an enemy instead of rolling out of the way like you told him to. Gears 3 finally added and alternate control scheme that fixed this, and the fact that Mass Effect 3 came out many months later but didn't meet the new bar for controls that Gears of War 3 set is quite disgusting. They were clearly going for the "it's shit but shit everyone does so why change it" strategy, except that strategy doesn't work when someone before you evolved what gamers expect from a third person shooter's controls. So yeah, for all its problems, Mass Effect 3 is not an outstanding game. A decent game? Sure. Outstanding? Noooooo.

As far as AssCreed 3 goes, too buggy. No game sold to customers when it's still in beta is ever outstanding in my book.

Great video, Jim.

The face you pulled after putting the hat on at the end had me in stitches.

tomorrow's game is gonna be..
Sunglases
to die for
Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

I CAN't WAIT.

so im been thinking. im not gona discuss my top games of this year but the ones i wanna play in 2013 (asuming we all not die in les that 24Hs):
The Walking dead season 2
Final Fantasy XIV a Realm Reborn
Dayz (stand alone version)
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
The last of us
Tes online(maybe)
Deadpool

Jim, the "I'm not going to give away anything" before giving away everything thing is really dumb. You don't want people thinking you're dumb, do you? Of course not. Thank Jim for you.

Not another award for Walking Dead. I'd rather Lollipop Chainsaw got best game than that zero-gameplay borefest. I guess 2012 just wasn't that good.

Eric the Orange:

WaitWHAT:
A winner by the jimquisition's standards? That explains it! Doh ho ho ho, etc.

Oh, an interesting bit of trivia:

OT: So.....is anyone not expecting it to be Spec Ops: the line? Or have I just mis-read the signs.

To be fair she is a VERY prolific voice actress. So you hear her voice in a lot of things.

I think I liked her twilight sparkle darth vader best

EDIT: whoops, she did bubbles for darth vader, not twilight sparkle.

mjc0961:

But when it came time to try and sell me on Journey, all I got out of the episode is that it starts off with some boring as hell walking around in the desert but then there's some co-op and later the game becomes "compelling" and other words Yahtzee has described as coming from the "GameSpot Review Generator". That doesn't actually tell me anything about why I would want to try Journey. It tells me nothing of what the game is like. It just seemed to me that you had nothing tangible to say about it like you have for the other 3 games and will have tomorrow for The Walking Dead. And considering that this game comes from the same developers as the phenomenally bad Flower and flOw, the episode had the opposite effect of what you had intended: it convinced me that I should NOT play Journey because it sounds like it's in league with Flower and flOw: an art game that forgets about the second word of that label and just focuses on being art at the expense of actually having a game to play.

Your loss that you're judging a game before playing it. There is really little to say about Journey, as its source of quality is something else entirely. You can point out several individual aspects of the game (its incredible soundtrack, visuals, gameplay mechanics and whatnot) as Jim did, but it's not that what makes it so compelling, it's that every single aspect of the game works seamlessly together, creating an unforgettable experience for many. Seeing as it's more of an experience-based game rather than a mechanically amusing one, it makes it harder to explain why that is the case. Your experience may vary and if you did not enjoy it, it's practically impossible for those who did to explain why they do like it and for those who don't to understand why it's so loved. And if the idea of a compelling and emotional experience isn't your cup of tea because the developers didn't limit the game to a specific view of what games should do/be like and instead used this interactive medium perfectly to achieve a specific goal, then I do recommend you stay away from it.

The kind of games you seem to be mentioning right now are games like Dear Esther, where the game limits the player to merely walking around and taking in the scenery while letting the narrator talk to your ear for an hour or so. Journey however would have bombed incredibly hard and failed at everything it was trying to achieve if not for its well thought out and well executed gameplay mechanics.

Also, I disagree with you on previous games as well. flOw and Flower were pretty good games and rightfully received critical and fan acclaim, although they can't really compare to Journey.

Also, I really need to play Lollipop Chainsaw someday. I want to buy it when it's cheaper, even though I know I'm going to get weird looks when I take the game to the register.

Oh and yeah, Walking Dead winning the Jim awards was pretty obvious and I support your decision 100%. Probably the most emotional/soul crushing experiences this year. The end of the season is cripplingly depressing and insanely well executed. Just hope they don't screw up season 2.

Eric the Orange:

Well to be fair about the comparison, it's unusual for her to use such a similar voice for two different characters.

Can't help wondering if we'll see Lollipop Chainsaw make a few more appearances in year-end lists... it seems to be the sort of game that has really devoted fans, but in a good way. I think it's fucking brilliant, for a whole laundry list of reasons well expressed in the video, and still go back to it every now and then as an antidote to all the serious and generally po-faced games out there. If you can play the boss fight against Zed without thinking "actually this is awesome", I don't even know what to say.

I wish this game was the Wii, then I'd totally play it.

im not outraged that this game is on the list, just kind of...confused. everything i saw and read about the game sounded pretty generic. but its his list, not mine

I will kill to find out where he got that hat

I DID like the gimmick that each Boss of Zombie Rock was from a different genre. Sadly, it did not entice me that much at launch.
That techno tune that plays while you talk about the game is catchy, where is that from?

And Jim. "Skirting"? Really?

zoolie:
I will kill to find out where he got that hat

Same here, that hat is Sweet! even more than yahtzee's lol

Got Lollipop Chainsaw day 1 and absolutely loved it. Might not be anything beyond a reasonably simple hack and slash but it's just crazy fun with some great writing. I also loved that they didn't (at least in the UK) try and charge you the cost of a AAA title on release for it and I felt the pricing was about right.

Jimothy Sterling, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT HAT?!

Deadagent:

anonymity88:
I did love No More Heroes, I should really think about picking up Lollipop Chainsaw.

Depends, personally I think it's Sudas weakest work so if you're comparing it to those games then you might be dissapointed. It's still extremely fun and since its so short you'll have no issue playing it multiple times, like I did.

Tbh I've just not been excited about many games released recently so maybe I'm grasping at straws. Skyrim was the last title that had me counting down the seconds until it was in stores. Probably why I've waited until now (bargain bin!) to look into it haha.

anonymity88:

Deadagent:

anonymity88:
I did love No More Heroes, I should really think about picking up Lollipop Chainsaw.

Depends, personally I think it's Sudas weakest work so if you're comparing it to those games then you might be dissapointed. It's still extremely fun and since its so short you'll have no issue playing it multiple times, like I did.

Tbh I've just not been excited about many games released recently so maybe I'm grasping at straws. Skyrim was the last title that had me counting down the seconds until it was in stores. Probably why I've waited until now (bargain bin!) to look into it haha.

Well I didnt exactly pay the full price either, I used a tax loophole in finland to get it relatively cheap few weeks after launch.

Lollipop Chainsaw's gameplay and graphics are just bad. The dialog is occasionally funny, but that's about it.

Finally, someone else who appreciates Lollipop Chainsaw for what it is. I was starting to feel like my wife and I were alone on this one.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here