Escape to the Movies: Gangster Squad

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I can hear Boston bleeding through. It's awesome. OT I guess I'll wait for "Uncut" releases...

teebeeohh:
bob, when did this turn into a trailer show? there was a lot more trailer footage without your lovely voice talking over it than usual, was the movie really that uninteresting?
also yes, if you didn't go watch Scott Pilgrim because you wanted to watch the expendables you are directly responsible that we will not be getting "at the mountain of madness". and i am pretty sure ten years from now nobody will remember the expendables but Scott Pilgrim will be one of those movies that tanked but is largely beloved by the people who have actually seen it.

It is funny that the people who shit all over The Expendables start sounding more like douchbages then those who defends it. Scott Pilgrim is just a bland movie that was aimed at a generation that has not grown up by now.

MacNille:

It is funny that the people who shit all over The Expendables start sounding more like douchbages then those who defends it. Scott Pilgrim is just a bland movie that was aimed at a generation that has not grown up by now.

To be fair, Expendables and Expendables 2 were bland movies aimed at a generation that has not grown up by now.

I've watched all of them (Expendables and Scott Pilgrim). I am part of that generation, and I love all three of those films, for pretty much the same reason - It gives me warm feelings of childhood nostalgia.

The main difference, I think, is that the Expendables at least had the decency to be a hilarious parody of itself (It's blatantly winking at how ridiculous those old Arnie/Stalone/Van Damme/etc. action films really are), wheras Scott Pilgrim takes itself too seriously as a "Hey, look how geeky we are! We're so geeky! All geeks should watch and enjoy this movie!" Sort of way...

Ahem, but that's off topic. I just went to see Gangster Squad, it was a way of killing a couple of hours I suppose, not sure what the movie theatre scene would have really added, but then without seeing it or knowing when in the film it was supposed to be, I suppose I wouldn't know.

Devin Barker:
Loved the tag at the end, Bugsy Malone is great. Just made my GF sit threw it a few weeks ago... she felt differently.

It does feel a bit awkward, seeing all the underaged "dancers" and knowing that this was the movie that got Jodie Foster the part as the pre-teen prostitute in Taxi-Driver.

Still enjoyable though. And what kid doesn't want a gun that shoots marshmallows?

For those who had high hopes for this movie or just like the time period; L.A. Confidential (from '98) is absolutely great. Look it up!

I'm not sure if that film is meant to be a satire of actual gangster movies, or is just taking all the decent parts of gangster films and selling them off to the highest bidder to try and sell more tickets.

I saw this last night. I thought it was a great film.

Saw it yesterday and I thought it was ok but yeah...I thought I had seen it all before in The Untouchables (which is better and far more memorable than this one).

MacNille:

teebeeohh:
bob, when did this turn into a trailer show? there was a lot more trailer footage without your lovely voice talking over it than usual, was the movie really that uninteresting?
also yes, if you didn't go watch Scott Pilgrim because you wanted to watch the expendables you are directly responsible that we will not be getting "at the mountain of madness". and i am pretty sure ten years from now nobody will remember the expendables but Scott Pilgrim will be one of those movies that tanked but is largely beloved by the people who have actually seen it.

I didn't actually defend Scott Pilgrim(or shit over the expendables, which is still a terrible movie), pretty much the only thing i liked were the video game and anime aesthetics. I still think the expendables is a bad action movie that will be forgotten while Scott Pilgrim will be remembered as a massive commercial failure that people still really liked and killed a lot of cloud smaller, very "geeky" projects had because studios assumed they would make shitloads of money. And the main reason why it failed is that the people who were "supposed" to go see it went to see the expendables instead.
the Expendables to me is very much like transformers, only transformers never killed a del Toro movie.
and bringing up the "they don't grow up argument" on a forum about video games while at the same time mentioning the expendables is hilarious. i mean, if you are so grow up why are you not off posting about your visit to the opera and go watch Melancholia afterwards?

Post World War 2? Is that a slip? Or is this movie set in a period much later than I would expect a mafia movie to be set?

Aiddon:

Markunator:

Well, he does have a point. Most moviegoers are sheep - sheep who would rather watch bland, completely uncreative garbage over genuinely good, inventive films. As for the "meathead" thing, he was basically only saying that people who think the brainless, idiotic action movies of old - which The Expendables is supposed to be a throwback to - are better than the much more intelligent, well-written and well-acted action films of today (y'know, like Scott Pilgrim) are meatheads. And he wasn't wrong about that, either ...

A-fucking-men. And seriously anyone who still has a chip on their shoulder about that after TWO YEARS: seek help, you need it.

Anyway, kinda sucks how this turned out to be mediocre. I'm always up for a good gangster flick. Also, January is the dead zone for games as well. Literally nothing besides Anarchy Reigns looks remotely interesting.

Well, Bob clearly still has a chip on his shoulder about it...

Shocksplicer:

Aiddon:

Markunator:

Well, he does have a point. Most moviegoers are sheep - sheep who would rather watch bland, completely uncreative garbage over genuinely good, inventive films. As for the "meathead" thing, he was basically only saying that people who think the brainless, idiotic action movies of old - which The Expendables is supposed to be a throwback to - are better than the much more intelligent, well-written and well-acted action films of today (y'know, like Scott Pilgrim) are meatheads. And he wasn't wrong about that, either ...

A-fucking-men. And seriously anyone who still has a chip on their shoulder about that after TWO YEARS: seek help, you need it.

Anyway, kinda sucks how this turned out to be mediocre. I'm always up for a good gangster flick. Also, January is the dead zone for games as well. Literally nothing besides Anarchy Reigns looks remotely interesting.

Oh really? Is he still ripping into people who liked The Expendables?

Honestly you guys, between this and ASM you guys act like if you like a movie Bob didn't it's some kind of personal insult to the very fabric of your existence.

Check out Jack Reacher, it is a fairly good action movie and it has been causing a fair bit of controversy amongst Lee Child's fans because of Tom Cruises casting.

Spaec:
For those who had high hopes for this movie or just like the time period; L.A. Confidential (from '98) is absolutely great. Look it up!

he really should have mentioned this film in the review as an example of doing it right.The untouchables, really? not even half as good as LA Confidential

hmm, thought it might be good. maybe i rent it on dvd.
but stallones new movie, that looks like a fun action movie to watch.

daibakuha:

Shocksplicer:

Aiddon:

Honestly you guys, between this and ASM you guys act like if you like a movie Bob didn't it's some kind of personal insult to the very fabric of your existence.

Hey, I don't give a shit about Bob, or his opinions. I was merely pointing out that he brought it up, so...

Draconalis:
Post World War 2? Is that a slip? Or is this movie set in a period much later than I would expect a mafia movie to be set?

Nope, Mickey Cohen took over Bugsy Siegel's organization in LA in 1947; this organization is shown in all the noir stories I know of that take place in LA:
-LA Confidential
-The Black Dahlia
-LA Noire
And now this.

daibakuha:

I take it as a personal insult when Bob levels personal insults at me because of my taste in movies. I don't bring it up; Bob keeps bringing up his perception we yelled at him for not liking the movie, which is completely false.

deathbeforedecaf:

Spaec:

he really should have mentioned this film in the review as an example of doing it right.The untouchables, really? not even half as good as LA Confidential

He brought up The Untouchables as a "how to do it right" example of a gangster-themed simple action movie. LA Confidential is intentionally more complex.

The Goat Tsar:
I was really hoping that Gangster Squad would be 2013's The Grey. A surprisingly good January movie that tides us over until March. Looking at the other movies coming out in January (Hansel and Gretel, The Last Stand, Broken City, etc.) it doesn't look like there will be any really good movies for a while.

Zero Dark 30, supposedly a 2012 movie, was released here today, 1/11/2013. It is quite good. It won't carry me till March (and certainly not till 2nd 1/2 of Breaking Bad).

Well it is an insult when he insists that the only people who like these movies are the bane of movies today. Bob is enjoyable to listen to at most times but he has a nasty of habit of letting personal opinion run in his videos and basically comes over as unprofessional.

So Will Beall, the guy who wrote this movie and supposedly also the guy WB hired to write the script of the JL movie.
If this is the result, how can I have some confidence that the Justice League movie will be any good?
Assuming of course that they eventually go with his script in the first place.
Your thoughts on this matter?

I know you've only ever done this once or twice before but I would really like to see a revisitation of this movie in a couple of months once the DVD is out to see if the director's cut fills in those blanks and, adds to the missing elements. I think that was the case with...not Robin Hood but one of the movies you reviewed way back in 2011 or so.

I was looking forward to this one and while I realize the release was postponed because of the shooting I didn't realize the now controversial scene (and the scenes leading up to it I suppose) were being striped out entirely. I think I'm just going to wait until this is on disc before I give it a look.

Markunator:

Kitsune Hunter:
You still don't get it Bob, you didn't get flak for hating the Expendables, you got it for pretty much insulting the audience by calling them meatheads and calling those who went to see it instead of Scott Pilgrim "sheep". And you got it once again after your review of Expendables 2 by failing to acknowlegde your mistake of insulting the audience and simply believed you got hate just for hating the 1st film

lol

1: General tip, if any part of your post/thought/sentence has some combination of "People are sheep!", or "Modern Audiences only like generic bland stuff!" or god forbid "Sheeple"; you probably don't have any clue what you're talking about

2: I really shouldn't have to explain this....but whether a movie is "good" or "bad" is entirely subjective. I liked Scott Pilgrim, does that make me a supergeek who only enjoys that stuff? No. On the flip side, a friend of mine who is way more into geeky stuff than I am absolutely hated that movie. Does that mean that he's a mindless weight lifting douchy moron? No.

Quit judging people because they don't like the same things you do

daibakuha:

He may not have gone into a rant about Expendables, but Bob is still the one who brought it up for no real reason, and referenced "getting hate for not liking the movies", when that's not even close to being true. That's what's irking people, not his opinion of the films

The credits were made all the more surreal after I started thinking: "at least there's still Pacific Rim to look forward to," at the start of the credits. Bob, how psychic are you, or are you just good?

Jabbawocky:

Well it is an insult when he insists that the only people who like these movies are the bane of movies today. Bob is enjoyable to listen to at most times but he has a nasty of habit of letting personal opinion run in his videos and basically comes over as unprofessional.

If you are in that camp then LEAVE. NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO WATCH THESE VIDEOS! YOU CAN SAFELY IGNORE THEM!

By all firsthand historical accounts Mickey Cohen was in fact, a dramatic weirdo. Maybe Penn looked that up.

Man, I loved 30 minutes or less.

Damn, maybe that Ruben Fleischer guy was a one-trick pony then.
I really liked Zombieland, but wasn't keen on 30 Minutes or Less at all.
A pity really- I thought this movie had potential.

UNHchabo:

deathbeforedecaf:

Spaec:

He brought up The Untouchables as a "how to do it right" example of a gangster-themed simple action movie. LA Confidential is intentionally more complex.

yeah, fair enough.

Only thing catchy about the movie, was the trailer's song. Otherwise, I wasn't even interested sadly.
Glad you told us how it was, and honestly.. I can't wait for Pacific Rim ether! Going to be great!

Milanezi:

Safaia:
They cut the entire movie theater scene? I thought they were just putting off the release until everything calmed down. Ugh, I wanted this to be good because I love this genre and I'm really disappointed it's a dud.

Basically it's one of those "wait for the Blu-Ray UNCUT edition" movies I guess... But by then we all might have our attention elsewhere...

Exactly. I'll look for an uncut version to nab at Redbox or stream. Otherwise, it sounds like you are essentially seeing an incomplete version of the movie. I only want to pass judgement on the intended product.

Screw you MovieBob, I'm a Coen Brothers Fanboy. What is this, the High hat? Of course I know who Jon Polito is...sheesh.

teebeeohh:

MacNille:

teebeeohh:

the Expendables to me is very much like transformers, only transformers never killed a del Toro movie.
and bringing up the "they don't grow up argument" on a forum about video games while at the same time mentioning the expendables is hilarious. i mean, if you are so grow up why are you not off posting about your visit to the opera and go watch Melancholia afterwards?

Because I hate fucking Lars Von Trier. He sucks balls. Just see Antichrist. And I don't go to Opera because I'm not born in the 30s. I never said that Expendables was hilarious. I had a good time watching it sure, but It was a stupid film.

Where as for those of us in the UK this is the period that we had to wait till for Zero Dark Thirty, Cloud Atlas and Wreck It Ralph...

Hey Bob, why didn't you review Hitchcock? I know it's last year's movie, but it seems more worthy of being reviewed than, well, this pile of crap.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here