Movie Defense Force: Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

Movie Defense Force takes up the shield to fight for another mauled victim, this week tackling one of the most loathed horror sequels of all time.

Follow Jim on twitter for a chance to win Twitter updates from Jim: @JimSterling
New episodes of Movie Defense Force appear every other Thursday, only on The Escapist.

Watch Video

i was around 11 years old when the first blair witch came out and i went to see it in theaters with my family... i was board to tears (figuratively) the movie was terrible years later i went to my brothers house and he had a copy of the sequel i dreaded watching it but whatever it was something to do i came out of that movie surprised... it was a lot better than the first (in my opinion) at least it had a story and i could actually see what was going on. i get why people hate it but i have always said it was the better of the two

Wasn't the script for this film already written when Blair Witch came out?

Ooh, do Twilight!

Devin Barker:
i was around 11 years old when the first blair witch came out and i went to see it in theaters with my family... i was board to tears (figuratively) the movie was terrible years later i went to my brothers house and he had a copy of the sequel i dreaded watching it but whatever it was something to do i came out of that movie surprised... it was a lot better than the first (in my opinion) at least it had a story and i could actually see what was going on. i get why people hate it but i have always said it was the better of the two

Keep in mind, you said you were much younger when you saw the first one. You probably just didn't have the same mind set then that you do now.

Yeah, I didn't think that movie was that bad either. The goth chick is hot too :P.

But you pretty much hit it right on the head - the original Blair Witch was a great movie and at the time, it was something new. And to those with a vivid imagination, pretty damn scary. This was just a by the number horror movie, which are hardly scary once you've seen enough of them. It's really the comparison between the two that created the backlash.

I'm very happy at the TVTropes trope references. I've never seen any of the Blair Witch films so I'll take your word (as always) Jim :). This did seem a bit long and repetitious though, but the rhyme at the end more than made up for that.

Thank god for Jim.

(Also I want to see Moviebob rant about Jim stepping on his toes at some point. Surely that's inevitable? :D)

Nice episode - and, since I groused about it after the first episode I'd like to say I also liked this shorter, less obtrusive intro.

Gorbachof:

Devin Barker:

Keep in mind, you said you were much younger when you saw the first one. You probably just didn't have the same mind set then that you do now.

so not to just be the spiteful dick that shoots everything down, but my brother is still in love with the first movie, ive seen in many times and it still does nothing for me... i guess the first is just not my kind of horror flick. shaky cams and a lot of screaming... ill wait till halloween and go to a horror maze for 90% of the same experience (not trying to knock people who liek the film. to each his own!)

Good points Jim, I never did see this film, I did hear it was bad, the only thing I do know about the flm is Kim Director (the goth chick) it goes without saying that I find her very attractive, but if it does come up, I'll see it

Pffft, Blair Witch 2, like I'm ever going to want to watch that cra-- Holy hell, was that Jeffrey Donovan!!?

Dammit, that guy's a "27%-er", I'm going to have to watch it now.

I'd forgotten all about this film.
It's a shame Micheal couldn't bring Sam along, he's used to spooky happenings in the woods.

Kitsune Hunter:
Good points Jim, I never did see this film, I did hear it was bad, the only thing I do know about the flm is Kim Director (the goth chick) it goes without saying that I find her very attractive, but if it does come up, I'll see it

Well I was just putting out the possibility.

Devin Barker:

Gorbachof:

Devin Barker:

so not to just be the spiteful dick that shoots everything down, but my brother is still in love with the first movie, ive seen in many times and it still does nothing for me... i guess the first is just not my kind of horror flick. shaky cams and a lot of screaming... ill wait till halloween and go to a horror maze for 90% of the same experience (not trying to knock people who liek the film. to each his own!)

The main thing with the original Blair Witch is that what is scary is what it doesn't show you.

You are left to figure out for yourself what is the Witch? What does she look like? What exactly is she doing? What did she do to them? Etc.

The monsters you don't see are always scarier than the monsters you do see. Your mind is the most terrifying things out there, because it knows exactly how to scare you.

That being said, first impressions are often hard to overcome. Since you saw it when you were a kid, odds are a lot of what was happening was just going over your head (i.e. Instead of taking 'What does the witch look like?' you're thinking 'This is lame, we don't even see her') and now when you see it again, it's through your perception that it's a bad movie, so it just won't do it for you. There's also the fact that while the shaky handcam style was relatively new when Blair Witch did it, we're all very much sick of it now.

Then again, maybe you just have the imagination of a door nob :P.

Solid episode, as always. I think I enjoy this series because I genuinely like bad movies almost as much as the good. In the video, they mentioned someone saying something along the lines of "this movie is terrible, don't watch it". However, a lot of my movie recommendations to friends are "this movie is terrible, you have to watch it".

el_kabong:
Solid episode, as always. I think I enjoy this series because I genuinely like bad movies almost as much as the good. In the video, they mentioned someone saying something along the lines of "this movie is terrible, don't watch it". However, a lot of my movie recommendations to friends are "this movie is terrible, you have to watch it".

Same here, me and my friends love to watch those old crappy movies... Yor, Starcrash, White Fire, etc.

The worse thing a movie can do is not be bad or terrible... it's to be boring. :)

I absolutely hated this movie, so when I saw that it was being defended I had to jump in here and see it for myself.
was greeted with quite the surprise. I didn't know Jim had another show.
Looks like I'll be keeping up with this series now, since its Jim and all.

Tarkand:

Devin Barker:

Gorbachof:

The main thing with the original Blair Witch is that what is scary is what it doesn't show you.

You are left to figure out for yourself what is the Witch? What does she look like? What exactly is she doing? What did she do to them? Etc.

The monsters you don't see are always scarier than the monsters you do see. Your mind is the most terrifying things out there, because it knows exactly how to scare you.

That being said, first impressions are often hard to overcome. Since you saw it when you were a kid, odds are a lot of what was happening was just going over your head (i.e. Instead of taking 'What does the witch look like?' you're thinking 'This is lame, we don't even see her') and now when you see it again, it's through your perception that it's a bad movie, so it just won't do it for you. There's also the fact that while the shaky handcam style was relatively new when Blair Witch did it, we're all very much sick of it now.

Then again, maybe you just have the imagination of a door nob :P.

lol naw im sure its the "first impression filter" i love HP Lovecrats stuff and its all about the unknown. as a kid you want to see a big monster ripping people apart and now i guess i go into it knowing i was lied to (remember they tried to play it off like it was real) and i now i just have disappointment when i watch it... and no big monster ripping people apart :p

"Self righteous on their high horses"

The first "movie" wasn't even so much a horror movie, it was a 'lost in the woods' movie. Don't know what the appropriate defination for that would be. It's called The Blair Witch Project, but it's never made clear if there even is a witch or anything supernatural at all. At the beginning of the movie you hear two stories; one of an apparent witch and one of a serial killer. Throughout the rest you're never sure witch which of the two is after them.

I never found it really scary (except for that final bit in the house), but I always appreciated it for showing how people unravel when they're lost and scared.

I never saw the sequel, because I figured- obvious from your video - that the movie would be shit. Maybe note total shit, but poo nonetheless.

I liked this movie, especially the ending. But also the 2 disc edition had 2 faux documentaries that add more to the mythos and whats real and fake. People didnt like this movie, but really the original Blair Witch isnt as good as people think it is. Blair Witch 2 is a different movie, fact they hired a documentary film maker to make it shows they wanted a remake and not something new. The director made Paradise Lost 1-3, a great documentary about 3 kids imprisoned for ritural murder of 3 kids that have never been proved.

Jim, I love ya, and you make some good points, but I still hate this one. It's still crap in my eyes.

This movie is a guilty pleasure of mine so im glad you told others to give it a chance.

My friends and I used to have "bad movie night" and rent a bunch of awful films. Trust me, Blair Witch 2 is DEFINITELY a bad film. Worse, it's actually a fairly boring, confusing, and forgettable film. But, even though we laughed at all the stupid, random, ultimately pointless scenes in it, it wasn't as bad as many people have said. Oh, make no mistake, it's still BAD, but we saw far worse.

Though, that's this movie's biggest problem. I've seen worse films, but they were at least memorable in their badness. Blair Witch 2 is neither good enough nor bad enough to remember or give it a watch. It's just... there. Like, "yeah, this is a movie that exists" but doesn't really do much with its premise.

If it had been a sequel as bizarre and hilarious as Exorcist 2, we'd have a different story, or a sequel as good and innovative as Evil Dead 2 we'd be holding it up to a different standard. It's just a middling, bland horror film that I forgot I watched until this video popped up, and I will promptly forget I saw it again a few hours after posting this message.

Mmmmmmmmmeh.

Okay, opinions will differ, YMMV, etc. And much of what Jim says is true. That said, I saw Blair Witch 2, and, no... it really isn't a good movie.

Part of the success of the original "BW", aside from the relative novelty of the whole "found footage/shaky cam" technique at the time, was that it felt like it was united by a certain underlying logic, inviting the viewer to put two and two together and horrify themselves with their conclusions about what didn't need to be explicitly said, their mental images of what didn't need to be explicitly seen.

Remember that shot of whatshisname standing in the corner...? Like that.

Movies like "The Faculty" work to some extent because they know what they've got going for them- in the case of "The Faculty" itself, I would argue that would be a) a recognizable, better-than-typical cast kind of slumming it and b) a certain knowledgeable "wink" of awareness at its own tropes.

"Book of Shadows" essentially traded in that kind of cleverness in favor of the trump card of being connected to "The Blair Witch Project"- and then failed to capitalize at all on what made its predecessor work, spoiling its own hand.

That twist at the end? How do I describe it while trying not to spoil anything... It basically sets up a mass case of "Unreliable Narrator", and pretends that's an explanation. It's a bad sign when your response to a twist is not, "Ah!" but, "Seriously?" The original "BW" spelled out far less of what's going on- and in the process, made more sense.

So, that's the cleverness that was supposed to set it aside from the rest. And it isn't clever.

To say there are worse horror films than "Book of Shadows" is certainly true; there are plenty of horror movies that are incompetently shot, badly lit, make even less cohesive sense and have utterly incompetent actors. But the genre is packed to the gills with dreck, and a barely positive comparison with dreck is faint praise indeed. Even still, there are better offerings in horror, even in the decade of "Book of Shadows"'s release.

I actually agree with you here jim. Book of Shadows was not a bad movie, or a bad horror movie but a bad Blair Witch movie. As for the reason the film is hated is because of the damage it actually did to the Blair witch franchise. Say what you will but Blair Witch had potential to be the next big franchise at the time not unlike films like Saw and Final Destination. The Sequel though ... did too much. It tried to break away from the found footage thing which wasn't a bad idea (face it there's no way they could have strung that out very long anyway). The problem is they still made a bad Blair Witch movie and the movie's performance pretty much sealed off any chance of another sequel.

It was a fair horror movie, and I've seen enough Horror movies to know. You want to see a Bad Horror Movie? Critters 3+, Ghoulies 3+, Son of the Blob (Beware the Blob). It tried to distance itself too much from the events of the first film so it doesn't answer any questions we had from the first and it doesn't follow the pattern set out by the first nor did it expand on the lore. A sequel should typically do one of those things, Book Shadows did Neither. As he said. If you discount it as a Blair Witch movie it's a fair Horror movie.

trty00:
Jim, I love ya, and you make some good points, but I still hate this one. It's still crap in my eyes.

Totally agree with your post, the only good that came from this movie, was the Nostalgia Critic's review of it.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/32868-blair-witch-2-book-of-shadows

I recommend the review, even to those who haven't seen the sequel and just want to know what happens in it.

Holy shit it's Michael Westen!

On that alone i may give it a chance!

There was a Blair Witch 2? WoW there's actually a film more/as unknown than the Scorpion King 2 and 3.

I feel like the second episode of Movie Defense force wasn't as strong as the first, the much shorter run-time meant that you didn't go into the same depth as you did with Aliens 3. The first episode felt like a genuine explanation of the film's merits and this one felt more like you were just saying "It was judged to harshly"

DVS BSTrD:
Wasn't the script for this film already written when Blair Witch came out?

Yes sir/ma'am, you are correct. People fail to recognize that this movie was a stand alone piece when written and had nothing to do with the Blair Witch project. Upon the success of the Blair Witch Project, movie executives made a small rewrite happen and loosely tied in Blair Witch elements in order to cash in on the first movie's success.

I personally loved the movie (besides the completely unnecessary tie in to the Blair Witch) and as a big fan of horror movies, was very much blown away when seeing it. Expecting pure crap due to reviews and hatred of the first movie, it was a nice surprise. I feel that executives did this movie a huge disservice and if left alone, tghey would have made much more money.

Now if you ask me the first Blair Witch movie was a terrible movie. Of course I couldn't even get all the way through it without getting quezzy from the way the camera kept bobbing about. As for Blair Witch 2, well I've only seen snatches of it so I can't really pronounce judgment.

I would just like to say the Book of shadows is by far a better movie than Blair Witch, and had it not been shackled with the burden of being a sequel it probably would have done much better in theaters.

Aliens 3...yeah. Defensible with good reason. This movie? It's garbage. I can't remember anything about this movie other than the fact that it's garbage. Remove the BW part of it and it's still garbage. It's peers had a hook at least...like Final Destination, which was good. I still remember(despite only seeing it at the movies once)the kid having a dream about the little latch on his tray not working and realizing his dream is happening. I can't remember a single thing from Blair Witch 2 and that is the mark of a bad movie.

1 out of 2 so far for this show....and last week, I said MovieBob should do this. I was wrong because there would be no show. Moviebob would say "yeah...Blair Witch 2 is shit. Good night folks. Seeya next week". So I guess Sterling will do.

I was meant to ask this last week but: isn't this MovieBob's area?

Also, the first movie was honestly horrible. I personally believe the second movie shouldn't be existent like Titanic 2. Just... What the fuck? It's clearly something made (in my opinion) that was published for fan-profiting. I will agree that the whole 'Blair Witch' thing is kind of old (after the first time of watching the first movie) but at the same time, I'm glad they did actually ditch the shitty cam-held view of 90% of the scenery being the ground.

Actually something came across my mind while watching the BWP and that was "Why didn't they just follow the river?" to which I then found out that the camera crew actually filmed in one single park. It kind of also explained why 90% of the time: all you saw were shoes and stones. It's still nice to see they actually tried to make the horror-aspect actually more like horror, especially for that day&age it's pretty awesome, in my opinion. The whole part I found 'scary' was the end (of the first film). Though that's only because it made me think of death and I had to Wikipedia what was actually going on.

EDIT:
Looking back at the comments (which I should've seen earlier), I think it was dull but sad they added 'Blair Witch' to the name. Although I do believe The BWP was mainly the internet's fault for even getting anywhere as popular as it is.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)