Escape to the Movies: A Good Day to Die Hard

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Nice work on the delivery of that Long List, Bob.

Yeah. This was awful. "Dad struggles to connect with his kid" was done much better with Mary Elizabeth Winstead in 4.0 (fuck you all, I'm British), and the main reason it worked that time was because it was just one arc in a whole movie's worth of stuff. But by directly contrasting John'n'Jack's relationship with Komorov'n'Irina's (those are the right names, right?) they tried to make the disconnect between generations into something of a whole theme throughout the movie (Chernobyl is basically a generation ago now). And the problem is that the audience just does. Not. Care. Fathers and sons aren't going to see this movie together (despite the utterly pathetic 12 certificate; Die Hard 1 was an 18, grow a pair filmmakers); Die Hard movies now are for long-standing fans of the franchise. It's quite telling that one of the adverts in the cinema before the movie (when I saw it) was for McDonalds, featuring a teenage boy having nothing in common with his mother's new beau until Big Macs (captcha: cheese burger) come into the equation. Of course, it's even more telling that another advert was for a new DVD box set of all four Die Hard films.

But yeah. I'm kinda okay with McClane having not become an in-universe superhero yet; yeah, he's saved the nation a few times but he's blown up umpteen vehicles, even more buildings (and parts thereof) and at least one freeway in the process; at worst, they might have Dilbert Principled him out of the way to keep him out of trouble, and even that wouldn't have worked because... well, he's John McClane.

Also, Jack's a douche.

Crazy_Dude:
Its sad to see Bruce Willis still play in great movies (Looper) and still go for stupid cash outs like this. Die Hard should have DIED HARD a long time ago.

I agree, I can't even remember the plot of most of them but they do amuse me, not really something I'd bother to go to see in the cinema though. This latest one looks like Michael Bay movie so I didn't plan to watch it anyway.

If you want some Bruce Willis I recommend "12 Monkeys" that's a good example.

It is just me, or can we officially add old action movie actors to the list of things Movie Bob hates?

6th And Silver:
Uh, Bob?

...Since when is "Unbreakable" an action movie?

It wasn't about action movies it was about Movies you should watch 1st that have Bruce Willis in it before you should bother watching before thinking about going to "A Good Day to Die Hard" in chronological order outside of the other Die Hards I'd give an honorable mention to "Four Rooms" though if DH5 is as lack luster as he makes it out to be.

What bugs me about the last two Die Hard films is where all we getting all this John McClane offspring from? In the previous film we get his daughter, from....somewhere and now we have his son. If we take it that the films took place the same year as they were released, they would have at least been around at the time of DHWAV.

In Die Hard 6, it will probably be revealed that John McClane has a twin because now, the only place left for them to go is to have two McClanes running around. That, and North Korea.

MarsProbe:
What bugs me about the last two Die Hard films is where all we getting all this John McClane offspring from? In the previous film we get his daughter, from....somewhere and now we have his son. If we take it that the films took place the same year as they were released, they would have at least been around at the time of DHWAV.

In Die Hard 6, it will probably be revealed that John McClane has a twin because now, the only place left for them to go is to have two McClanes running around. That, and North Korea.

It was established in the very first movie that he had kids. And they were at least referenced in all of the sequels.

Having watched the film I am agreeing with everything Movie Bob says.
EXCEPT 5 is better than 4. 4 felt longer cause I kept wanting to slap the Mac guy every time he opened his mouth and the fish out of water shtick got old fast.

I saw a clip of Bruce on the 1 show. They were sucking up to him about how good its supposedly is and hes just like... "yeeeah" and his tone of voice sounds like 'this is a shitty cash in and I just don't care'.

Well; I think that next movie they should try harder with a vengeance (Yes; I said that!)

Not really interested in this one. I do look forward to when you get to review Iron Man 3.

I didn't even know they'd made another Die Hard after With a Vengeance, which incidentally is the only one I've seen.

Can anyone tell me what the name of the movie the "CGI-reference" was from ?? I have seen that before, but can't for the life of me remember what movie it is ..

Oh dear. It does look like they've turned Die Hard in to your everyday action flick :[

Live Free or Die Hard is awesome. I don't give a FUCK what anyone says.

not surprised that its not as good as the last 2. dint like part 3, part 4 was alright but sure not great. i read about it on facebook but havent read anything yet on the cinema website. im wondering when this will show up in australia.

So, this actually was a real Die Hard movie? I thought it was a joke! The first time I saw a trailer, it was presenting itself as a comedy; a satire, even! It looked like it was a Die Hard parody! Even the title sounds really goofy!

Wait...

1,3,2,4,5? What does that mean?

After seeing that list, all I can really say is: well, when you put it like that...Also, I'm noting significantly no hype, which means there's nothing even as badass as Bruce Willis (a man so awesome he has no nickname, one might note) stepping out of a car to shoot while the car spins around him, a la RED. Which just makes me want to go watch RED again. Or anything with Bruce Willis being a hilariously impressive badass. Maybe RED, then Fifth Element. It's Friday, after all, and I have to get down.

Draconalis:
The first I'd even heard of a new die hard movie was like... two weeks ago... and till today, I had forgotten about it.

Dude, until I saw this video, I had no idea they were even MAKING another Dit Hard movie. My first thought was that, with a title that corny, it had to be another MovieBob retrospective video (like his last 'Musclepocalypse' one) about the Die Hard franchise. Boy was I surprised!

Hindkjaer:
Can anyone tell me what the name of the movie the "CGI-reference" was from ?? I have seen that before, but can't for the life of me remember what movie it is ..

The Lawnmower Man.

I read somewhere Bruce plans to do one final film (sixth).
I can't seem to find a source, does anyone know what I'm talking about.

i was kinda hoping they would pass the torch to his daughter and that geeky computer kid from the last movie. I was getting that vibe at the end, and I do feel like... I don't really need to see another one of the kids. How is the girl like, barely mid-college and the boy kid is what, mid twenties and an important CIA operative? I don't think I need to see this one, ever.

It is really too bad how bad this movie is. Not that it's terrible, really, just entirely soulless and forgettable. For so long the Die Hard series was one of those that was just good, and nothing could change it. And even 4 wasn't bad, I could tolerate Justin Long and the plot, while ridiculous, managed to set up some good action. And most important, John McClane still felt like John McClane. Now, I get the feeling that the screenwriter for this one was just throwing up whatever action ideas came to mind with no regard for the classic McClane character.

The action was uninspired and never even seemed like the way a Die Hard movie does action, Jack Jr. was a little prick, John Sr. feels like a bad impression of himself, and yeah, it's just totally forgettable. Really depressing, as I love Bruce Willis and the Die Hards were always some of my favorite action flicks.

Tenmar:
Wait...

1,3,2,4,5? What does that mean?

The order that he liked the Die Hard films. I would swap 2 and 4 but I've never really liked Harlin's films with the lone exception of The Long Kiss Goodnight.

I've already read that one possible reason why this movie is so awful is due to yet another Fox hatchet job. As such, I'll wait and hope the BD has an extended cut that fleshes-out what appears to currently be a paper-thin story.

Someone is butthurt. Not that I disagree with Bob, but I get the feeling I'm not getting the whole picture here.

Still one of my favorite Christmas films. Plus I was a big fan of David Addison at the time. Also "Hans bubby, I'm your white knight" is possibly the greatest ad libbed lines in movie history.

I'm thinking you should also see Look Who's Talking and Look Who's Talking Too before you see Die Hard 5. It looks that bad.

MovieBob:

MovieBob can't quite remember what happens in Die Hard 5.

I'd like to see you do a retrospective piece if you can. List a few movies that you have seen, but can't remember. Granted as a film critic you have seen the movies that were supposed to be big, but that you wound up not remembering an hour after finishing watching. A list of the worst.

"1, 3, 2, 4, 5"

I am assuming that is your favorite Die Hard list, in which case, I totally agree Bob.

1 will always be the best.

With a Vengeance is always fun to watch. Unlike Cop Out's sad attempt with Tracy Morgan, having a partnership with Samuel L. "Mother F***ing" Jackson was pure gold. I still love watching these two.

2 was fine but was a lot like The Hangover 2 to me: the same movie as the original. It had some changes, but felt like the first movie again. 3 at least gave it a different feel.

4? Ass. Pure Ass.

If 5 is worse than 4, then I do not plan to see it. I'll just go find the original trilogy on TV and enjoy the good ol' days.

Shirokurou:

- And the biggest of them all... Driving to Chernobyl.
Ok, just take a map and look at where those two are. No seriously do it. They drove all of that in one night or so. And the Maybach may prove pretty useless on the Russian roads. Cause this isn't a German autobahn. This would be bumpy as hell. Also the countryside petrol would kill the maybach.
Also Chernobyl is in Ukraine, which many of you might not know (apparently you don't) is a different country. So Willis would have to cross a national border in a stolen car full of guns with no passport.
And even if he got through that he'd have to get into Chernobyl, which is kinda locked down due to radiation.

Watching the review I was already pretty surprised that they'd end up in Chernobyl, but they actually drove there? Good lord that's retarded.

Why.... Why would you tell people to go see Hudson Hawke. Yeah, it was a joke, but WHY. That should be illegal.

You know what they should do? Make another movie, pick a really good action movie director, and just call it Die hard.And then finish the movie with a big, very hard fight, and at the end, John Mclane dies. That i would pay to see, a fitting dramatic end, and it would fit quite nicely with the title.

piscian:
Chernobyl isn't Russian :P

Doesn't make any difference - this movie knows that for most people, Chernobyl is just one of those stereotypical, "iconic Russian" things. That's what it thinks of its audience. I bet there will be either a nihilistic and drunk, lecherous and rich, or cold and brutish Russian too.

SirCannonFodder:

Shirokurou:

- And the biggest of them all... Driving to Chernobyl.
Ok, just take a map and look at where those two are. No seriously do it. They drove all of that in one night or so. And the Maybach may prove pretty useless on the Russian roads. Cause this isn't a German autobahn. This would be bumpy as hell. Also the countryside petrol would kill the maybach.
Also Chernobyl is in Ukraine, which many of you might not know (apparently you don't) is a different country. So Willis would have to cross a national border in a stolen car full of guns with no passport.
And even if he got through that he'd have to get into Chernobyl, which is kinda locked down due to radiation.

Watching the review I was already pretty surprised that they'd end up in Chernobyl, but they actually drove there? Good lord that's retarded.

It reminds me of an episode in CSI, in which they were examining the history of a secret Nazi sympathiser. What happened was that some German character had found some Jews in 1940s Berlin, and offered to take them to the border. Instead of taking them to Switzerland though, he tricked them and took them to the Nazis in Auschwitz...Auschwitz is in Poland. He would have had to drive for hundreds of miles when he could have simply driven to the nearest police station. Movies just don't give a shit about geography.

Assassin Xaero:

piscian:

That, plus Die Hard 3 wasn't even supposed to be a Die Hard movie. Think I heard that once they cast Bruce Willis, they changes a few names around and then made it into one. So that sorta makes it even more sad that the others were worse.

I'm not sure any of the Die Hard movies are supposed to be Die Hard movies. They get a great idea and mold it to fit the McClain story. (I heard particularly of part 1 and 4.)

I loved 4. It got weak by the end, but it was very inventive and different. The whole cyber thing going on was a hoot. Silent Bob was in it. And it had an internal logic to the inventive story.

This was a mess. Bob is right: 2 escapes by impossible jumps. But the story makes no sense. The opening chase scene is pretty stupid and the choppy cutting trying to make it look like more was going on than actually was made me physically ill. There were a million twists and betrayals in an attempt to give it a plot. They just don't work.

Bruce used up a lot of my good will on this one. I doubt there will be a Die Hard 6. So much wasted. With the anticipation built for this, how hard would it have been to make it great?

EDIT: Inspiration for DH1 http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Lasts-Forever-Inspiration-Film/dp/1935169181

AntiChrist:

piscian:

I was about to mention that as well. (^-^)

No, but it was a Soviet thing, and that's how a lot of Americans still generalize anything to do with Russia. :P

In our minds it's like...

Russia:

-former soviet union... now good guys... maybe??
-still got a shit load of nukes
-scary crazy mafia
-onion shape towers
-cold as fuck
-vodka
-really really hot woman
-damn they got some really hot woman
-KGB... they still exist right... ??
-country all bankrupt as fuck
-cold as a mofo
-Chernobyl... wait that's in Ukraine? Well isn't that like Russia light? It was all Soviet and I can't tell the two countries apart. Do Ukrainians even have their own language or they also speak Russian? Oh... they do! Still sounds like Russian.

(looks up Ukraine... looks up Ukrainian woman)

-Oh shit... their women are even hotter!

:P

And that there is the full extent of an average Americans knowledge about all that. Actually that's about what you'd expect from an slightly above average American. An average American and a dumb one now... I don't even want to go there.

0.o

Did Bob just say to go see both of the Expendables movies before seeing DH5? Damn o.o Shit just got serious.

Well except for the fact that Moviebob mixed up the Mi-24 Hind from early in the movie with the Mi-26 Halo (a freight helicopter roughly the size of a C-130 Hercules) from the end of the movie (at which point every aircraft fan just smacked themselves with the most convenient limb available) I guess he raised some fair points.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here