Arma III Preview: A Taste of Brilliance

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Arma III Preview: A Taste of Brilliance

One of the finest military simulations on the PC is ready and waiting for its third chapter.

Read Full Article

Why didn't you upload the video?

DVS BSTrD:

It's playing fine for me, are you having issues viewing it?

Yup, totally working now. Thanks very much.

Feel free to delete this post. Or let it forever linger here.

Try clearing out your cache to see if that fixes your video problems; I'm going to go make sure that the hamsters that work behind the scenes aren't asleep at the wheel. Sorry for the inconvenience!

MikeWehner:

DVS BSTrD:

It's playing fine for me, are you having issues viewing it?

It says "200, Stream not found. NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound,clip'[Clip]"

Vid should be A-OK now in all qualities and formats! Thanks folks!

The minecraft of mil sims

Vid plays fine for me.
I might well pick this up when it comes out. I enjoyed what I played of ARMA2 but I struggled to get into it at first.

Friend of mine is jizzing his pants over this. I'm looking forwards to some more in depth videos of it and a list of features.

I'm one of those guys who complain that most shooters today are too mainstream, but I get too overwhelmed in comparatively unintuitive games like Arma :)

Now if only companies behind half of today's games would put the amount of work that those behind the Arma series have. Just imagine what could be achieved.

Still needs a little polish, I don't want to break my knee when I lie prone.

DVS BSTrD:
Still needs a little polish, I don't want to break my knee when I lie prone.

Alpha is alpha.

Arma is one of those titles I always wanted to get into but never did. Now, unfortunately, I'd need a new PC to run it. My old laptop just won't cut it anymore.

Smilomaniac:
Friend of mine is jizzing his pants over this. I'm looking forwards to some more in depth videos of it and a list of features.

I'm one of those guys who complain that most shooters today are too mainstream, but I get too overwhelmed in comparatively unintuitive games like Arma :)

What would you like to know? I gave it a quick run last night, was shocked at how smooth it is (ArmA 1&2 were resource hogs on release, but A3 went to very high by default and runs flawlessly).
Now the question is who to give the alpha keys to....

RicoADF:

What would you like to know? I gave it a quick run last night, was shocked at how smooth it is (ArmA 1&2 were resource hogs on release, but A3 went to very high by default and runs flawlessly).

Well... what makes it stand apart from its predecessors? What are they working on implementing that they were unable to in the previous games?

The performance sounds good. I look forwards to massive airbattle videos :3

Disappointed that a lot of people only think of Arma as the game you need to play DayZ. There's SOOOO much more to it than that, and I'm glad this video emphasised that.

Smilomaniac:

Well... what makes it stand apart from its predecessors? What are they working on implementing that they were unable to in the previous games?

I think the most immediatedly noticeable difference is the new inventory system.

A lot of people got introduced to the old system via playing DayZ, and while I'm personally very used to it, the newer system in ArmA 3 is a whole lot better.

Flying is getting a complete overhaul. The way the two currently available Helos work in the Alpha is gonna be changed from the currently very ArmA 2-like deal, to some way more realistic stuff they originally developed for Take On Helicopters, a game centered entirely around flying Helis. Trouble is, they say that it takes them a month to do the complete flight model for each Helo, so don't expect to see that anytime soon.

Animations. The new animations look way better already, and will get better on top of that. Just watch the video here, and compare that to any ArmA 2 YouTube video. Difference is huge. This is a pretty huge deal, as 90% of the complaints I hear about ArmA in general is about how crappy the animations are :P

PhysX is being implemented, which means we're likely to see at least some basic rag-doll stuff, as well as much improved vehicle handling. That is, driving is probably gonna get harder, which is a good thing.

There's also some SICK work already in the Alpha, on what they call Picture in Picture. Basically, it's a system they use for remote control weapons, like a Gatling on top of a HMMWV, so that you can realistically control it from your first-person view inside the vehicle. I've also noticed this on a boat so far. It works like a charm, and is rather damn cool, in that you no longer just zoom straight into a monitor CoD-style, but rather see it realistically through your 1st-person view.

Yes, that's the kind of crap that gets ArmA vets excited :P

Anyway, that's just some of the stuff.

Smilomaniac:

RicoADF:

That list is quite extensive, count gave some examples. On train heading home, will give a full list with video examples once I get home

EDIT: For anyone that's played ArmA 2 and gets this. G is now your grenade button, not gear. I figured this out when I went upto a corpse, hit G and was rewarded with a grenade on the ground where my feet use to be. Owe......

RicoADF:

Smilomaniac:

RicoADF:

That list is quite extensive, count gave some examples. On train heading home, will give a full list with video examples once I get home

EDIT: For anyone that's played ArmA 2 and gets this. G is now your grenade button, not gear. I figured this out when I went upto a corpse, hit G and was rewarded with a grenade on the ground where my feet use to be. Owe......

"Hey bro, looks like you dropped a grenade."
*Sigh* "Shit..."
BOOM! :P

OT: The real question is, can I fly over to Lemnos and blow everything up? :P

Desert Punk:

RicoADF:

Smilomaniac:

"Hey bro, looks like you dropped a grenade."
*Sigh* "Shit..."
BOOM! :P

OT: The real question is, can I fly over to Lemnos and blow everything up? :P

Yeah that's going to take some time to get use to the change of buttons.
There's only 1 island in the Alpha, so no Lemnos. However the island is reasonably sized, its not Utes.
While mucking around I just found that you can go swimming without diving gear, but everything goes blurry so I wasnt sure if it was a fish, shark or boat coming towards me.

Game looks great. A shame that this game reminds me that two developers are still in a Greece jail on bogus charges of espionage.

Other than that...hope it turns out to be a good game.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Game looks great. A shame that this game reminds me that two developers are still in a Greece jail on bogus charges of espionage.

HRK?! They got released over a month ago. :)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121519-Greece-Releases-Detained-Arma-III-Developers-on-Bail

OT: I already put seventeen hours into the alpha alone. I am totally stoked for the content updates coming over the next few months leading up to the beta.

Saulkar:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

HRK?! They got released over a month ago. :)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121519-Greece-Releases-Detained-Arma-III-Developers-on-Bail

OT: I already put seventeen hours into the alpha alone. I am totally stoked for the content updates coming over the next few months leading up to the beta.

Well, I'm glad that ended as amicably as possible. Still, 5K euros each for what amounts to hostage money? Greece can't collapse fast enough for that farce. But both developers are home with their families - ain't no amount of money can be put on that. I hope the Arma 3 developers throw some kind of "troll" mission in there just to stick it to the Greece authorities. Or to say, "Here's how we immortalize you: eternal asshatery."

CrazyCapnMorgan:
I hope the Arma 3 developers throw some kind of "troll" mission in there just to stick it to the Greece authorities. Or to say, "Here's how we immortalize you: eternal asshatery."

Pffft. I would not doubt that someone modded in such a mission in the first couple of hours after release. The great thing about the arma series is that it is the rule 34 of video games. If exists someone modded it into the game. ;-)

I've played a number of military type games, all different genres but I've never been the biggest fan of them.

This video though intrigues me.
I find myself curious and sort of wanting to try this out.
It looks different. I can't explain why and what, but it does.
Thank ya contributor for this article.

CCountZero:
*snip*

Wow, thanks a bunch.
The PiP sounds awesome, especially if it's on a device and not up in the corner.

I have nothing to add, just want to thank you for the description, those were probably the most important details for the uninitiated.

RicoADF:
*snip*

That would be amazing and very appreciated.

RicoADF:
Now the question is who to give the alpha keys to....

As a MOD I DEMAND the keys or I will BAN you FOREVER!
No, not really. Can you imagine? But I would totally take one! I'll be buying it no matter what, but a little play time in before the paycheck would be sweet!

More on topic: I've had ARMA 2 for a while, but never got big into it until recently, for some reason. I originally got it for Day Z, but it's just too much of a pain in the ass to get my separate (For some reason) installs of ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead (Both owned on Steam) into a 'Combined Operations' install, and get the Mod working. I'll just wait for the stand alone. But I stated actually trying the game itself, and it's a blast! Once you do the tutorial/training missions to get a handle on the controls and interface (I still can't land a plane, but I'm OK with that), it's a really refreshing break from other 'military' shooters.

And so this is looking great! The graphics look improved, and everyone is saying it's got better optimization! Which is really great, since Arma 2 runs like a dream on my current machine. So I'll be laughing with this! Sign me up. I want to one-shot some insurgents! Or, more accurately, I want to get one shotted by some insurgents.

I am quite impressed with the alpha build thusfar. I have found far fewer bugs than I expected, and the improvements were immediately noticeable.

- The animations are far more fluid than those in ArmA and ArmA II.
- The sounds are more realistic and gunfire is loud enough to drown out comms sometimes (as it should be).
- Vehicles handle with some realism; slipping and skidding around tight turns at high speeds.
- A physics model has been introduced + ragdolls. When stuff blows up, it... well, blows up!
- Volumetric clouds! Severe weather looks more onimous than ever, and the wind is now a variable in the editor; a nice touch.
- The editor has been streamlined a bit. ArmA vets don't need to worry though because you can still use the traditional interface if you don't want to try something new.
- FUNCTIONS LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They appear to have added a function library to the editor! This will undoubtedly help new editors and modders get their work off the ground.

The list could go on. Overall, this is a giant leap forward for the franchise, and I can't wait to get my hands on the beta release. I've been enjoying the alpha for two days now, and I can't wait to get my hands on more content.

Baby Tea:

No, not really. Can you imagine? But I would totally take one! I'll be buying it no matter what, but a little play time in before the paycheck would be sweet!

I've got one to spare, but the invites we have is for the un-moddable version that only features Singleplayer, and won't allow you to save scenarios. And on top of that, it won't be released until March 12th, and until then, I can't send any out.

The Lite version is basically just meant as a teaser demo, but since you're already interested, I guess that's all you need to make your decision.

Keep in mind that buying Alpha also buys you the Beta, full game and all that jazz.

CCountZero:

Baby Tea:

I've got one to spare, but the invites we have is for the un-moddable version that only features Singleplayer, and won't allow you to save scenarios. And on top of that, it won't be released until March 12th, and until then, I can't send any out.

The Lite version is basically just meant as a teaser demo, but since you're already interested, I guess that's all you need to make your decision.

Keep in mind that buying Alpha also buys you the Beta, full game and all that jazz.

Yeah, I'll just buy it tonight. I know I want it, and my check came in today (I thought it was next week!) so that's pretty much decided. Can't wait to try it out!

That green cyclops visor... is that a real thing? I want one.

piinyouri:
I've played a number of military type games, all different genres but I've never been the biggest fan of them.

Once the invite keys are given out 14th I'll send you one to check it out if you'd like. However it is Alpha so its upto you weather u wanna take a peep now or later.

RicoADF:

piinyouri:

Once the invite keys are given out 14th I'll send you one to check it out if you'd like. However it is Alpha so its upto you weather u wanna take a peep now or later.

Those Alpha keys sure sound heavy. Maybe I could help you share the load of one key for you :)

I remember downloading the ARMA 2 demo and it ran bad, and the controls were weird. I may give it another try, I loved the whole DayZ thing and it looks like a shooter I could get into.

Damn that game looks cool. I always thought ArmA II looked a bit janky, but this looks like a massive imporovement. I will definitely be getting this when it comes out.

Kataskopo:

RicoADF:

piinyouri:

Those Alpha keys sure sound heavy. Maybe I could help you share the load of one key for you :)

I remember downloading the ARMA 2 demo and it ran bad, and the controls were weird. I may give it another try, I loved the whole DayZ thing and it looks like a shooter I could get into.

Oh how nice to help me, do you think you could also carry...... *turns around to see you already gone*
I'll send u the key when it arrives.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or