Escape to the Movies: Oz the Great and Powerful

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

SixShooter:
I'd be cautious. Bob's normally very good, but he has a tendency to get slightly de-calibrated when his Preferred aesthetic (Raimi, or even a Burton) is in play. This is why the Nolan trilogy gets his constant wrath, but Tim Burton's batman is often pushed by him as an example of "how Batman is supposed to be!".

Well, er, it kinda is how Batman is supposed to be. Mainly intelligible.

Oh, God dammit. Why did I look up who played the Wicked Witch? Anyone who is interested in seeing this flick should not look up the actress before seeing it.

Worgen:
Holycrap, the ads for this movie make it look bad but the stuff in the review looked awesome, if this movie flops then its because the advertising for it was shit.

It doesn't seem likely.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3645&p=.htm

It's predicted to be a pretty big hit, and bad marketing aside, there's not much reason it shouldn't be.

Keith K:
Did I just see Black, White and Red Mages?

That would seem like a more clever observation if MovieBob didn't beat you to it in one of the credit bumpers.

*Ahem* Anyway, definitely a great movie. I got to go see a free pre-screening on Monday, definitely a good use of 4 to 5 hours (when you account for time waiting in line) of my freetime. Kind of tempting to go see it again.

Snownine:
Oh, God dammit. Why did I look up who played the Wicked Witch? Anyone who is interested in seeing this flick should not look up the actress before seeing it.

It's Mila Kunis isn't it?

Well its always good to see James Franco Get work maybe i'll see this after it out a few weeks.

Wait, Sam Raimi made this?

PLEASE TELL ME BRUCE CAMPBELL HAS A CAMEO!?

I would prefer him as a munchkin, but I will settle for Tin man or Lion!

Wait, just checked wikipedia, Bruce Campbell as a 'Dark Wizard' just sold a ticket to this movie :D

MovieBob:
About a happless dude and the three hot, magical babes all vying for his attention but its quickly apparent that the original dynamic is intact, not only do the witchs have all the real power, they also have all the most interesting story dynamics and all the important plot moving.

So a GOOD harem anime, who the hell reads/watchs a harem anime for the main character, HA! Such nonsence... I miss Tenchi...

(Inb4 who watchs harem animes at all, thankyou very much)

OT: I know Bob has a thing for Sam Raimi and even though I thought 'Drag me to hell' was more funny then scary if this film trys new stuff like Bob says im definatly checking it out. That new wicked witch design does things to me it really shouldn't...

OH! Does she still have that kick ass theme tune!?

Y'know, the scant amount of footage I've seen of this film has made the Wicked Witch lookabsolutely fearsome. I'm impressed. Good job, Raimi, you might make me watch this.

Snownine:

How could you say that? Now I want to look it up even more! A pox on thee!

Just came back from the movie and while I agree with Bob on almost everything I'm going to say 'no' to Mila Kunis. So I'll put it behind the cut.

But is it better than Wicked? That's the question...

"Great modern American film-makers" I guess everyone is entitled to his opinion :)

Though this

lacktheknack:
That awkward moment when the site's two major film critics say this:

Marter: "If you liked Alice in Wonderland, you'll like this, because it's the same thing."

Moviebob: "This one is great because it isn't like Alice in Wonderland."
*snip*

really is awkward, i'm glad that you (Bob) got another movie you liked after some time. Seriously, despite that i think you properly explain why you dislike specific movies most of the time, it got kinda boring to hear about one "bad" movie after another.
I think i'll try this one out and hope it is NOT like "Alice in Wonderland", or any other classic fiction / folklore gone generic action movie, which became oh so popular through the last few years... and there i have to admit i actually liked "Brothers Grimm" because of its wackiness.

Triaed:
"Great modern American film-makers" I guess everyone is entitled to his opinion :)

The Evil-Dead series, Darkman, Drag Me to Hell...

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies him.

Pallindromemordnillap:

Snownine:

How could you say that? Now I want to look it up even more! A pox on thee!

Don't. I looked it up too. It's absolutely integral that you don't make the same mistake.

Just go see the movie.

Keith K:
Did I just see Black, White and Red Mages?

Welcome to Corneria!

Well that was pleasantly surprising. From the trailer, my exact first thoughts were "oh no, another attempt to reinvent a kids book as a dark and gritty, battle heavy, epic Lord of the Rings rip off," so I'm glad Movie Bob directly addressed that. "Not another Alice in Wonderland" is exactly what I needed to hear. I might give this a chance after all.

"I won't spoil what the various twists are" and "the actress playing her absolutely owns the moviem but that would be telling" states Bob who then spoils the twist at the end of the video in obnoxious, hyuck-hyuck fashion... Thanks.

Bob just couldn't resist the Black Swan reference, just because of Mila Kunis? If she doesn't make out with one of the other two witches, that's a stretch not even Mr. Fantastic could perform.

So does this mean that we could possibly see a Big Picture episode about Return to OZ?

Ishal:
Black Swan?

That was Natalie Portman with the lead right?

Is she the WWoW? Shit if she is I'm putting aside time to go see this.

I think Bob was referring to a certain inter-female relationship dynamic that crops up in both films...

Gatx:

Smertnik:
What is it with actiony remakes of fairy tales/children stories these days? There've been Snow White, Hansel & Gretel, Alice, Jack, probably a few others I can't remember/didn't know in the first place, now this Oz. How exactly did this kind of thing became "in"?

I think they have more leeway here though since it's "based on the books" supposedly, though there isn't any specific book to my knowledge that tells this particular story. Also judging from the review, in all fairness this doesn't seem like an action movie at all. I mean yeah, more actiony than the original but it's hardly darker and edgier, and seems to be more of an adventure film with the amount of spectacle that is expected from a family oriented blockbuster.

Just saw the movie and Agree with Bob it was quite good. The visuals were spectacular. First 3D movie I have seen in a long time. As to your question, I would not assume this is an all actiony movie, like Hansel and Gretel.

There are things about this movie, that could spoil some of the fun. But yes it's a Raimi movie!

well, at least they are not singing. i hate that in movies. i cant stand a song or 2 but frequent singing.......hell no. well, maybe get it on dvd. have to see how i feel.

Bob referenced Tenchi! :O

Sorry, nerdgasm moment there.

Proverbial Jon:
Actually that hat made me think of Carmen Sandiego first.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

I'd be less cynical about this review if I hadn't had to sit through an ad for the film before the review of the film...

Although it has peaked my interest I'll admit!

Wow, so you recommend it.. that much?
But what I find most surprising is that you find the 2nd Raimi spider-man movie -good-...
even with that scene of Kirsten Dunst Running through the park? Or the infamous Train wreck? I mean that movie has more pulp than movie.

Anyway.. I'm interested in this OZ... might catch it next week.

I heard this is supposed to be a trilogy.

lol that's a recommendation. might just have to go watch it :D

Might see it just to watch Mila Kunis....hottest chick alive!

I wonder if there's a Bruce Campbell cameo...

I looked at several different reviews and it seems like this movie is a frustrating mix of good and bad. As a result, viewers are forced to weigh the pros and cons to decide if they liked it. Everyone seems to agree that the visuals and direction are good. The point of contention seems to stem from the story.

From what critics have outlined, I know I won't be able to stomach such an obnoxious protagonist. It is worse if the supporting cast is far more nuanced and interesting.

...So not ONLY is Oz G&P good, but I should check out Stoker as well, eh?

Good to hear.

Well this movie has my grandmother interested , as well as the reviewer she follows as well as Bob so I just may go and see it.

So, Bob, I hear Marc Webb's directing the reboot?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here