Reel Physics: Demolition Man - Bashing Brittle Bars

Pages PREV 1 2

Of all the absurd stunts in this movie, I'd forgotten that one...

Awesome show, guys.

Nice and surprising! :) Although I didn't like that you took your figures from absolute zero (unless that was mentioned in the film?) as lots of weird things happen at 0 kelvin. I'd be interested to find out how cold they would have to be to still break through them, but alas I most definitely do not have your number crunching skills.

Love the show guys, keep it up! :)

So, no comments regarding the difference between rapid cooling and slowly bringing metal to a certain temperature like any strength test would do (since we don't have magic instant freezing devices currently, liquid nitrogen being the closest thing)? From room temperature to absolute zero in a few seconds could potentially have a greater hardening effect than when I rapidly cool hot steel in a slack tub's water. But it is also possible that the excited state of heating steel above room temperature is soley responsible for the hardening impact of rapid cooling and room temperature-metal to absolute zero may not change anything.

Not that I want this movie to be correct, nor do I think a human could still smash through it without serious injury.

With so many videos on cold things, a clear understanding of rapid cooling vs. slow cooling is necessary since the two processes can have extremely different results.

Alright, so I've got a burning question that's been bothering me for a number of years now.

Towards the end of 'The Incredible Hulk', we see the Hulk put out a helicopter gasoline fire before it has a chance to spread and explode by clapping his hands together, creating a sound wave strong enough to put the fire out before it spreads and explodes. My question is a simple one.

Is this actually possible? Is it possible to create a sound wave so powerful that it can stop a gasoline explosion before it has a chance to blow up?

Get back to me when y'all can!

K_Dub:
Alright, so I've got a burning question that's been bothering me for a number of years now.

Towards the end of 'The Incredible Hulk', we see the Hulk put out a helicopter gasoline fire before it has a chance to spread and explode by clapping his hands together, creating a sound wave strong enough to put the fire out before it spreads and explodes. My question is a simple one.

Is this actually possible? Is it possible to create a sound wave so powerful that it can stop a gasoline explosion before it has a chance to blow up?

I thought it was the air he was displacing that put the fire out? The sound just being a very very loud clap.

kailus13:

K_Dub:

I thought it was the air he was displacing that put the fire out? The sound just being a very very loud clap.

Right. The triangle of fire says you need three things: oxygen, ignition source and fuel. The explosive concussion from Hulk's hand clap is temporarily/supposedly taking away the oxygen fueling the fire. Just long enough for the fire to go out. A similar process is used to extinguish oil wells that are on fire. Skip to about 9 minutes in this video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bf2_1197279353 to check it out.

Of course the oil patch version has a continual flood of new cool fuel surging in all the time. So, an instantaneous concussion is enough to blow the fire out and not have it re-ignite. The Hulk version would probably not be successful. I don't really recall that scene. So, it may have been the director's intent that the outrush of air from Hulk's clap "blew out" the fire.

Clankenbeard:
Right. The triangle of fire says you need three things: oxygen, ignition source and fuel. The explosive concussion from Hulk's hand clap is temporarily/supposedly taking away the oxygen fueling the fire. Just long enough for the fire to go out. A similar process is used to extinguish oil wells that are on fire. Skip to about 9 minutes in this video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bf2_1197279353 to check it out.

Of course the oil patch version has a continual flood of new cool fuel surging in all the time. So, an instantaneous concussion is enough to blow the fire out and not have it re-ignite. The Hulk version would probably not be successful. I don't really recall that scene. So, it may have been the director's intent that the outrush of air from Hulk's clap "blew out" the fire.

I can't find the exact scene, but the full movie is available on youtube. Helicoptor fire occurs at roughly 1:37. Only takes two minutes for Hulks mega clap.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here