Escape to the Movies: 42

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm confused, how does this video relate to hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? Or are they marketing it as "42" trying to make people who have not watched a review accidentally buy a ticket and view it?

Surprised you didn't have a lot to say about 42. Then again, you've seen it all so if the movie didn't stand out that much.. well, you're not going to have much to say huh? I'll still probably see it only because I don't often see sport movies that inspire even though they always end the same way.

feha:
I'm confused, how does this video relate to hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? Or are they marketing it as "42" trying to make people who have not watched a review accidentally buy a ticket and view it?

Jackie Robinson wore the number 42. It is now retired all throughout baseball, and on April 15th of every season, all players wear number 42 to honor him.

Hence, the title.

That's weird. I thought Oblivion came out this week.

hermes200:
With that title, there is got to be a Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy joke worth doing around here...

idodo35:
well no one made a hitchikers guide joke... im dissapointed

Okay so, This movie gets 10 out of 10 for style, but minus several million for originality, huh?

plugav:
It makes me sad that Scary Movie 5 exists. I honestly thought this period in film history was over.

Pardon my ignorance, but didn't this movie already come out a while ago? It had Marlon Wayne in it or something.

idodo35:

They did on the FB comments, but yeah..

Oh, did anyone get the cartoon at 2:05? I remember the imagery, but can't for the life of me remember the show...

GamemasterAnthony:
*sees the snippet about Bank of America*

Wait...WHAT?!? No wonder BoA is having problems right now! Their advertisers are phenominal MORONS!

Seeing that, it makes me wish those spoof Orange ads we had over here about the phone inspectors were actually true. Except perhaps without the poorly trained canine unit. Can imagine how annoying that would be, given that your average phone these days lights up like a beacon when in use and is therefore kind of hard to ignore in the middle of a film.

Calibanbutcher:
1. Why was the link to the video broken in the beginning?
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.
(or did that not open in the states?)

Only a very stupid person would think this movie will be any good. War of the Worlds.

Wow, good makeup on Ford.

number of comments when I clicked: 42

Well looks like crap, no point in wasting my money on this one.

And I see bob is still insulting people who like things he doesnt like.

Classy.

Pugiron:

Calibanbutcher:
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.

Only a very stupid person would think this movie will be any good. War of the Worlds.

Well the egg is on my face now.
I guess one bad movie proves without a doubt that nothing after that could possibly any good, right?
Even if the people involved aren't the same, safe for the main protagonist.
(For further proof of this theory, see "Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness" and the new "Tomb Raider".)

Also I should elaborate:
"looks awesome" as in:
The visuals and the overall style are awesome.
The itself movie is above average, but not "awesome".

People + phones + missing brains + cinema = really making me angry when combined... although I'm almost fine with phones during the 20 min of commercials, but after that shut up, sit down eat your popcorn and watch the movie! Should be a law.

And well 42 a movie might be ok, but there's others more interesting showing that I haven't seen yet.. like oblivion....

Seracen:

idodo35:

Oh, did anyone get the cartoon at 2:05? I remember the imagery, but can't for the life of me remember the show...

Gargoyles!

Calibanbutcher:

My friend was at the opening for that last week and met tom cruise. Apparently it was so awful that no one clapped at the end and the director, who was scheduled to give a talk after, went home.

I know of a good reason why people SHOULD go see this moviee. Because then they won't watch Scary Movie 5. Which will essentially be a bunch of youtube parody clips spliced together.

See 42, reward a decent movie. One that at least aims to be entertaining and tell a historical tale. Shun Scary Movie 5 because it represents the demographic that would be purged for the greater good if it was up to me.

Oh my god. Jackie Robinson is ford prefect and the meaning of life in disguise!

Death_Korps_Kommissar:

Calibanbutcher:

My friend was at the opening for that last week and met tom cruise. Apparently it was so awful that no one clapped at the end and the director, who was scheduled to give a talk after, went home.

Wow, well, I stand by my statement that the movie looks very nice, great design, nice cinematography, etc, but apparently that does not a good movie make in the end.

The Wayans Brothers actually starred in a good movie once, it was not directed by them though.

Hollywood Shuffle
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093200/

This is where the idea of "Scary Movie" came from if you wanted to do a Terminator and travel back in time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWc47SEPA0

Winky Dinky Dog!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbo6TiwA5A

On the mobile phone thing, I went to a screening of the Neverending Story recently and they made an announcement over the loudspeaker telling people not to use their iPhone/iPad during the movie as some people think the rules do not apply to them. I almost slapped someone's iPhone out of their hand recently when they took a phone of the screen during the movie (it would blow out any way and you would not get a decent photo.)

I already love it how, in a year's time, the Paisley comment will not make sense -- unless you dig deep, very deep into your controversies memory. :D

idodo35:

True. Though, most people will likely have thought of that upon reading the title, anyway.

Tomb Raider isn't THAT good. It's a mild distraction at best, and at worst it's a poor Uncharted clone. It's a muddy Uncharted with worse visuals because it's a cross-platform release, and the redesign of Lara doesn't mean anything because it's not used in any meaningful way, like Jason Brody's white-bread character in Far Cry 3 or Cpt. Walker in Spec Ops: The Line. Lara just switches from being vulnerable to being bad-ass arbitrarily, and it really brought down the whole experience for me.

Wait. This has nothing to do with Douglas Adams... :-(
Also, I'm apparently late.

Not that this was an unenjoyable episode or anything, it's nice to have some less advertised movies reviewed for a change. But I'm still of the opinion that it's perfectly fine to review something that's a week old if it's by far more interesting than anything that comes out this week.

I very rarely see a movie the first week it's out in theaters, which half of the time is like a month after the US release anyway. And even if I do, like you've said yourself, only a small part of the reason I watch reviews is to receive consumer advice. Just hearing an interesting, well articulated opinion on a movie is enough for me, even if it's one or two (or more, for that matter) months old.

I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority on thinking that...

BOOM headshot65:
Can we please shut up about the Brad Paisley song?

I actually came in to ask about that, because I don't listen to country music and therefore don't get the joke. What's everyone talking about?

britishdantheman:
Nothing of note coming out? To the Wonder is out; Beyond the Pines is out. Don't give me that, Bob.

I'm pretty sure he said nothing major is out. I've never heard of to the Wonder, and I don't think Beyond the Pines is showing in my town, so maybe they don't count as major (I don't honestly know what the defining quality of "major" is in this instance).

Kumagawa Misogi:
"Hmm, it says the film starts at 11:00." I buy a ticket, and go and sit through twenty minutes of adverts and ten minutes of trailers.

Write a letter (not an e-mail, not a Tweet, but a letter) of complaint to your theater's manager. I did, and I got both the chains in town to stop playing advertisements after the printed start time of the film. They still play trailers after the printed beginning time, but since I like trailers, that doesn't bother me.

JimB:

BOOM headshot65:
Can we please shut up about the Brad Paisley song?

I actually came in to ask about that, because I don't listen to country music and therefore don't get the joke. What's everyone talking about?

Popular country singer Brad Paisley Recently released his new Album "Wheelhouse" where, in a first for him, he touches on some hard topics facing America right now. This includes Pride in ones home, but without shuting out the world, Domestic abuse, Religion, and others. One of the songs was a duet with rapper LL Cool J called Accidental Racist, where the intent of the songs lyrics was "We need to stop living in the past and try to understand eachother and work toward a better tomorrow." So of course, it took 20 seconds for that meaning to blow up in thier face. "RAWR!! PAISLEY RACIST BECAUSE SOUTHERN FLAG!!! COOL J TRAITER FOR HELPING WITH THIS!!!1! RAWR!! RAWR!!!" sums up the reaction rather well. The largest complaint was that Paisley had the gaul to say that the Southern Flag was anything other than a symbol of Racism (because South and KKK, see rant below for further details)

Heres is a thing ABC did on it, if you need more.

Never expected to see a reference to The Pack from Gargoyles in a review of a movie based on Jackie Robinson, bravo. Also, is that Dwight Howard in the car with Jackie?

Safaia:

Seracen:

idodo35:

Gargoyles!

WHAT?! Really? Man, I almost feel like taking my own geek card away.

Although, I must say the airing of that show happened on a crappy schedule where I was, so I never got to see the whole thing.

Thanks for the info!

Seracen:

Safaia:

Seracen:

Gargoyles!

WHAT?! Really? Man, I almost feel like taking my own geek card away.

Although, I must say the airing of that show happened on a crappy schedule where I was, so I never got to see the whole thing.

Thanks for the info!

The chick with the red hair was the one that married Xanatos in the later seasons. The later seasons when they start to get really mythical aren't as good because they ditch half the supporting cast and I always liked the supporting cast a ton.

BOOM headshot65:

Thank you for that. I own both and they're merely me being proud of the south and where I come from. I don't display them publicly but I've gotten into a heated discussion with a friend over them once. Funny thing is I'm half hispanic but I must be racist because of a piece of cloth.

BOOM headshot65:
Off Topic: Ugh, Can we PLEASE shut up about the Brad Paisley song? Yes, it was very clumsy and as a Paisley fan, not one of his better songs, but it is being SO BADLY OVERHYPED that its not even funny even more. Although, it must be good to be Brad right now. "Wheelhouse" in general and "Accidental Racist" in particular are selling like crazy from all this hype. (and notice, the country music scene is standing behind Brad and everyone gets EXACTLY what he meant. Its only non-country people who dont get it, it seems).

On Topic: Guess I will just Wait to see 42 then.

WOW, Thank you for that. I have been wanting too say that but, honestly, I am tired of getting beat-up for that.

I love Brad's music (though you are right, not his A-game, maybe C to low-B), I am so ready to get on to a real story that does not deal with imaginary racism.

OT: Speaking of which, I now want to see this movie. Mr. Robinson did lead an interesting life, and had to deal with alot of stupidity. It was a dark time in America (after the Civil war), and took nearly One-hundred years before the light broke. There are still problems (like how white people are being blamed for stuff that happened BEFORE they were born) but with patience and love, we are still moving into tomorrow.

Darth_Payn:
And did Bob just say the movie with the most substance this year so far is Spring Breakers?

My reaction to that statement about substance is: 'Go home MovieBob, you're drunk'

Come on Scary movie 5 ...

I was already planning to see this movie with some friends when we met up with another friend who admitted he didn't know who Jackie Robinson was.

Regardless of whether you are a fan of historical baseball movies or not, I feel it's important for this movie to exist and do well so that we can combat such ignorance. I don't care if you like sports or not, knowledge of the color barrier and the power of unwritten rules is something everyone should know about.

I don't normally see movies like this because they always seem boring, but I actually quite enjoyed it. There were a lot of unexpected comedic moments, and some phenomenal acting. I probably laughed more than if I'd gone for Scary Movie 5. (I'm happy to say that at the theater I went to, the showing I saw ended up selling out. I don't know whether to attribute that to the average age of the region being older folks who appreciate historical stuff, or if it was just the usual NH "we don't have many black people here so we should at least pretend we care about them so we don't look too racist" guilt.)

Pssssshh Branch Rickey as the owner of the Dodgers? Please, baseball fans know he was the general manager, he had some of the stock but wasn't the controlling partner.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here