The Big Picture: The Boot, Part Two

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Babylon 5, sign me up.

And this week Bob mentions Gargoyles... God... I miss my childhood...

As I understand it Gargoyles is a free property. You want a reboot you just have to make it. No one does and I don't think any can at this point own the rights. Not sure of the exact mumbojumbo of it all. With that said of course, getting a company to invest any money in a show that cold be PIRATED by other networks, isn't going to happen. I mean you make Gargoyles TNG - ironic given its cast - and popularize the franchise over two years, and then say ABC comes along and makes The Real Gargoyles which for whatever reason has broader appeal, suddenly you're shows going down the tubes and you've made ABC a fan base they never had to work for. Not happening. Fun if it did, just to see the networks battle it out it would be fun, but I doubt it will.

Babylon 5 was a great show in my opinion, hampered by limitations in CG. And I admit, I'd love to see a remastered version of the original, but I doubt a reboot would really be possible. The show's survival through out its run was a miracle, and it's successor didn't last more then half a season. A real shame to, I doubt many fans of Babylon 5 didn't like Crusades and some of my friends who weren't fond of the lack of action in Babylon 5 really embraced the new show. They canceled Crusades, as I understand it, because the studio behind it didn't feel it's characters were 'sexy enough'. They handed down the ultimatum, sex it up or call it quits... No more Crusades. I think a remastered B5 and a rebooted Crusades might work. You could use the one to sell the other even. Sort of a big lead up hype event.

Rebooting the Simpsons? Are you serious? What is that, the great race to beat out nostalgia? What about the A-Team. I never saw the new movie, but the old show was great fun! Bad acting, ridiculous dialogue and a lot of heart.

Catcha: ten four - surely a program of taste!

Bob, I'm with you on a lot of things (I even agree with your review of Sucker Punch) but some of these are just not good ideas. I loved Monster Squad for its cool idea and its cheesiness. It just wouldn't be the same.

As for Harry Potter, I would happily watch them all with you! The "fill-in" movies as you call them are what gave the stories heart and helped endear the characters to us. You can't replicate that in a trilogy. The Harry Potter tv series some people have suggested is an interesting alternative though. I would check that out.

The Harry Potter films were all pretty terrible. Full of inconsistencies and stuff that didn't make sense unless you read the books and changes that annoyed the people that did

The two that made the most sense were B5 and Gargoyles, I'd watch those. If they coupled a B5 relaunch B5 with a Mass Effect style video game following a Ranger taking the Cmndr Shep role it could be explosively successful. Not to mention other cool property

It's too early to reboot Simpsons, or rather Simpsons is too recently successful, to reboot. To be a real worthwhile reboot there needs to be some kind of space. That space can be time, or even a disconnect from approval. I know a lot of people who don't watch Simpsons anymore but the problem isn't that they are disappointed, it's just that they don't see the relevance. Give it a year or two off to fade, or have the series go horribly wrong, and then give it a try. Even then though, I'd put rebooting a low-continuity cartoon into a different category from rebooting something with an ongoing narrative arc.

I'd love to see some of the standards get the reboot - Firefly, Farscape, Stargate SGU, but I'd also like to to see Tales of the Gold Monkey The Herculoids, Thundar the Barbarian, and some of the old Lance cartoons like Woody Woodpecker.

B5 is by far my favorite but maybe not a reboot sure the acting was kinda off at times and some of the episodes were bunk but the story and the writing were superb. all it needs is a cg update maybe bring it up to the level that the lost tales was at.

piscian:

Babylon 5. God that show was just all over the place and had way too many seemingly filler episodes. It felt liek it was full of really interesting ideas that never went anywhere. I would enjoy a reboot but I'd want a solid ending built in and that just doesn't happen on basic cable.

Sure there were a fair number of episodes (at least from the first season I've rewatched recently) that don't really advance the overall arc of the show, but they almost always had some kind of small character arc contained within them. For example, the episode "Believers" in season 1 where Dr. Franklin is the main character and wrestles with upholding his oath as a doctor against violating the religious beliefs and wishes of a family in order to save a child. Hardly any of the rest of the main cast is in the episode but we get a better understanding of Franklin and what he believes.
There are a few exceptions to that rule, but I never felt that an episode was ever wasted.

Perhaps I've just got super nostalgia glasses for the show since it was something my dad and I always watched together, but I'd love to see it on the air again. Though it would be very weird to see other actors portray the same characters.

Scarim Coral:

Ditto for Babylon 5. I cringed when Bob said it should get the "Star Trek reboot treatment." That's the absolute last thing I'd want to happen.

While I wouldn't want it to turn out like the Star Trek reboot, I'd love to see Bablyon 5 get a full treatment. Season 4 rushed a conclusion to the plot due to fears of cancellation, and Season 5 was then basically filler.

Namehere:

Babylon 5 was a great show in my opinion, hampered by limitations in CG. And I admit, I'd love to see a remastered version of the original, but I doubt a reboot would really be possible.

Along these lines, I'd love to see someone redo all the cgi/special effects for The Last Starfighter.

Angnor:

Scarim Coral:

Ditto for Babylon 5. I cringed when Bob said it should get the "Star Trek reboot treatment." That's the absolute last thing I'd want to happen.

While I wouldn't want it to turn out like the Star Trek reboot, I'd love to see Bablyon 5 get a full treatment. Season 4 rushed a conclusion to the plot due to fears of cancellation, and Season 5 was then basically filler.

Maybe since the team is giving the Star Trek TV series a rest they could put together a Babylon 5 reboot. Other than the cringe worthy Star Trek prequel show I've enjoyed every series after Star Trek. I would really prefer Abrams keep his mits off the rest of my nostalgia. The Star Trek movie was tolerable but his style is just so bland and forgettable.

I'm all on board for a Harry Potter reboot, but as a TV show instead of a film series. A lot of what hampered the later Potter movies was a need for bombastic climactic scenes that really did not fit with the tone of the books. Plus, the world of Harry Potter is ripe to be explored and add side stories to.

i want to see a sequel to babylon 5. set on earth after the burn (i think thats was what it called), when they have reverted back to a medieval society and the alliance rangers are trying to guided them. either that or a more direct sequal following sheradains son and what happened to him and the shadows paricite.

personaly i dont think a reboot of babylon 5 would be a good idea, rebooting star trek i was fine with because it more about the characters meetting weird stuff and solving it with very few plot points carrying over to episodes, babylon 5 is too plot focused, its all about big events and character arcs i think it would be a waste of time to reboot it, if they do thought, they should not use the old characters.

Babylon 5 and Gargoyles are the only shows I watched in my childhood that I continue to watch every couple of years. The stories and characters just keep pulling me back in.

What's with the Escapist and reboots?

I still wanna see a Reboot...reboot

Worgen:
I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention mlp more considering friendship is magic is pretty much the most successful reboot of anything I can think of. It took something that was firmly entrenched in what was perceived as what young girls wanted to watch and turned it into something that goes way beyond its intended audience. It did the impossible, it made girl stuff cool.

That's exactly why it wasn't mentioned, this is a list of things that should be rebooted, not things that were already rebooted very well.

I'm very much with you on Gargoyles, this series could probably benefit from a television landscape changed by shows like Avatar the Last Airbender and even Adventure Time. They still probably couldn't be explicit about Lexington although they might have more leeway to up the level of subtext.

NinjaDeathSlap:
When you say you can do a Star Wars/LotR marathon but not a Harry Potter marathon though, you're talking about 3 movies vs 8. Definitely not a fair comparison, even if you're talking about the LotR Director's Cut.

That's actually his whole point, Ninja.

5) Eh... sure, why not?

4) This was a series that by all intents and purposes easily could have made a great 7 season TV series. A lot of the nitty gritty details can't be justified in a full movie, but a TV show would have worked wonders.

3) Yes! Let's get this done! TO KICKSTARTER!

2) Eh... I preferred Deep Space Nine

1) No, just no. Some things can change, but that doesn't justify a reboot.

I agree with bob on the number 1 pick, if/when the Simpsons ends id like to see what someone new could do with it, however that dos bring up the question that all reboots and reimaging's face "how much can you change a character or premise before there an entirely different thing?" that's what I'm wondering.

So, Moviebob went from pissing on just laid to rest bodies of recent shot films/series, to just pissing on the still breathing ones. And not a Simpson's fan though, but the idea of a reboot is just unthinkable. Babylon 5 I can see being rebooted but not in the current Star Trek style. The show isn't comatose enough to being injected with J.J. Abraham's mix of speed, crack and cocaine.

I'd love to see a reboot of Gargoyles and Babylon 5. Though I'd much rather see a battle star galactica style reboot than a star trek style. Gargoyles would be interesting, I only saw the first season or two of it before the station I was watching it on dropped it for something else, power rangers I think.

The rest of the list I'm different to.

First time posting a message on The Escapist forum. Had to toss in my two cents after seeing this video.

5) Wow! I thought I was the only one who thought about rebooting this movie. I agree with Bob saying that Monster Squad had some inconsistency issues, mostly because it was trying to be for kids but had more adult elements like impalement and foul language. That said, I'd like to offer a few stipulations for this reboot. First, the rights to remake it should go to Universal Studios. Just to make it offical. Second, the make-up effects must be done by Rick Baker. The original effects were done by the late Stan Winston and it would be great to see another make-up legend get a chance to do something like this. Plus I loved Rick's revision of the Wolfman and I'm dying to see how he handles the other classic monsters (maybe toss in a few more like the Bride). Finally, play down the CGI and have more practical effects. I liked the Wolfman remake a bit but the overuse of CGI spoiled it for me. Besides, Rick did one of the best werewolf transformations long before CGI hit it big and it still holds up to this day imo.

4) I think its too soon to reboot the Potter series at this point, so lets leave it alone for now. As for watching all 8 movies, I'd be up for it if you had plenty of energy drinks on hand. ^^;

3) Excuse me...

OK, I think I've got that out of my system.

I'm game for any reinterpretation of Gargoyles, be it new series or movie trilogy. If the former, Disney would have to make sure it would last long enough on TV to allow it to cover everything the creators want to say. I really don't want to be left hanging like I was with the rebooted Thundercats. But that is mostly due to Cartoon Network being run by a pack of idiots these days. If the latter, please get someone that has actual passion for this property and can do it justice and is not in it for a paycheck and will do a piss-poor job(looking at you, Michael Bay).

2) I've never really got into this series so I can't offer an opinion on it in any way.

1) Again, much like the Potter reboot comment, its too soon to do such a thing. If anything, maybe do a spinoff show with certain characters like Apu.

You can't reboot the Simpsons and Call it The Simpsons. The core of this series is that family. Doind The Simpsons without them is making Futurama. I'd still wacth the shit out of this reboot.

I would prefer if instead of rebooting Harry Potter the Anti-Harry-Potter, Artemis Fowl, got the same kind of lavish, big budget movie adaptation. That's something I would really really love to see. The problems Bob mentioned about the Harry Potter movies wouldn't even be there all that much in hypothetical Artemis Fowl movies because those books hardly contain any fluff at all, they are not a huge doorstopper each but straight action.

Avatar The Last Airbender just ruined Harry Potter for me by taking the same concept and making it much much more epic and better.
One major example Avatar has several good firebenders, Potter has exactly one good Slytherin and they still get an entire house devoted to them.
I would rather see a Harry Potter sequel where Harry starts turning into something like Voldermort because the book hinted at too many similarities between the two.

But I do agree with the rest of the list.
Add to that:
Escape from New York
Wicked Science(not Weird Science, this is a different rather obscure show)
Dune(possibly incorporating Ordos in it as well)
Dune game

Other types;
Harry Potter Sequel
Avatar Prequel(focusing on Iroh or the previous avatar)
next season of Scooby Doo Mystery Inc(best remake of Scooby yet)

I feel like quite a nerd for knowing this, but I have to pass it on.

B5 was the first show to ditch models and only use CGI for the space shots. The reason they only have about 5 stock exterior shots in series one is because it took so long for each piece to render. Hell, they were being rendered on Amigas! They had to leave them on overnight and pray that they didn't crash, because if they did they'd have to start all over again.

Personally, I would love to see a reboot of B5, but it would have to be with JMS at the wheel, or at least writing the scripts. From season 2 onwards he wrote every single episode, bar one in series five that was written by Neil Gaiman.

If JJ Abrams goes near this series, I will lose all hope for humanity.

Babylon 5 can only be rebooted if the new incarnation DOESN'T SUCK!!!

As for Harry potter and the Simpsons... At this time, rebooting them would be a colossal waste of time and money.

I'm surprised that "The Greatest American Hero"

Max Headroom

and CONDORMAN

don't even get a mention.

I'm disappointed at a lack of Reboot

I mean its IN THE NAME

Worgen:
I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention mlp more considering friendship is magic is pretty much the most successful reboot of anything I can think of. It took something that was firmly entrenched in what was perceived as what young girls wanted to watch and turned it into something that goes way beyond its intended audience. It did the impossible, it made girl stuff cool.

I think the reason Bob did not mention MLP more is because (quoting Bob) he hadn't seen any of it.

I would not be right for Bob to comment more on a series he has not seen.

...Um, I actually -have- intentionally rewatched swafts of Harry Potter movies and re-read most of the longer books a year or two back. If anything, yeah, make it a TV series. That would work -so- much better. Just don't let it become a Twilight sort of thing, keep the tone of the movies as best you can.

Besides that, anything further to say on the matter would just be my own list of rebootable franchises, and more of those would be games or books anyway so I'll shut up.

templar1138a:
I'm with you on Harry Potter, but it shouldn't be remade as a movie trilogy. It should be remade as a TV drama. That way they can cover some of the relevant details that actually are supposed to be covered. For example, when I saw that Cho Chang wasn't in the third movie (knowing how she plays an important role in Harry's development as a character in the following books), I gave up on the movies. I felt further validated by this when I saw that the advertising for Goblet of Fire seemed to be cashing in on resembling that of Revenge of the Sith.

Yes. This. Give each book a season of a TV series. Shorter books get shorter seasons. But it would allow for all the stuff that got skipped over which they missed out and then had to cover their asses about to be put in

Oh, and no I wouldn't want to sit down and watch all of the Harry Potter films in a marathon...because there's eight of them and they're like 2 hours each. I can't spare sixteen hours like that

know what? a Watchmen-style gritty reimagining of The Simpsons could actually be pretty hilarious

i cant see the Simpsons being rebooted or the harry potters, not that i would care that much if i did, i just dont think anyone would be willing to pay for it.

although i do want to know what moviebob as against the iron man 2? what the hell man!?

gargoyles would be a good reboot, and now all i can think of is all those earlier cartoons coming back, the kong one, or the ghostbusters extreme one,......yeah i have just discovered i want an Extreme Ghostbusters reboot...

Hollywood make it happen!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or