Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Because I Could Not Stop For Loading Times

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

My reactions to both
Yahttzee: LMAO that was brilliant
Jim: HEY! Sonic Generations!

Wow.If good old Charles Bukowski had been into video-gaming, his poems about it would have sounded like Yahtzee´s.

These are rapidly becoming my favorite of the weekly offerings from this site. Thanks Jim and Yahtzee! :)

Yahtzee wins hands down.

The whole of Yhatzees poem was rather poignant and sad with that hilariously good stinger. Good god that was well done bravo sir.

I "got" Yahtzee's poem at about the time he started referencing lands he'd been through. Wondered how big a clue/reveal he would include. Well done.

"It's a' me, Mario..." (bitter sobbing)

Jim's was hilarious this time around - Yahtzee was a bit too depressing, but I guess the only way from the Chest High wall poem is down.

Whoever said that Jim's poems were like other people's comments from a thread--I think that was the point. Especially with every smug smile afterward. I also enjoyed the contrast between Jim's smiles & Yahtzee's oh-so-serious demeanor. You guys play off of each other well. Great job this week!

Picked up on Yahtzee's fairly early on. (About when it was mentioned that 'he' never speaks to 'her'. There was a chance it might be Link, but Mario is far more famous and Link usually has a bit more plot than a 'journey to track down a lady'.) I still liked the punchline though.

Jim's, on the other hand, I did not expect the last minute turn around, even if his aside glances were implying a mild mocking of the fans saying this sort of thing.

So yes, both were solid entrees, and I'm looking forward to more! (And for when they inevitably drag Graham, MovieBob or Susan into the action...)

Those headlines ^^
Wouldn't know these poems if I wasn't forced to read them due to studies >.<
I love Jim's poem.

Jim's Poem reminds me of watching my first american commercial, and how subtle they are at conversing their message.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Brilliant punch line from Jim, though it hits a little too close to home for the little part of me that hopes that each new Sonic will actually be good.

I believe that's the idea. Sounds like Jim's still a fan of Sonic, but only because he remembers when they were unquestioningly great. As for yahtzee's poem, at first I thought it was describing the "evolution" of video games since the 8-bit era, from bright colors to dull greyness, and I interpret it is, from Mario's point of view. It really got to me there at the end.

captcha: one hit wonder
Sounds like more than a few protagonists of modern games.

Matthi205:

Jim's poem was good, I just thought that the fast-reading-then-gazing-at-the-camera ruined the intended pacing somewhat.

I think that was a reflection of the crippling loading times in Sonic '06. I could just be looking for symbolism anywhere in a poetry reading though.

Yahtzee won completely. I don't think I've ever felt bad for Mario until now. It painted a beautiful but depressing picture and I love it.

Too true, how far these
gods of our time have fallen;
sadly depressing

Sonic fans to a T! I am one of them, but some of the complaints thrown at him over every little change is insane. And every new game gets our hopes us. *sigh*

Wow! Simply brilliant you two. I hope this becomes a feature for years to come and you both make oodles of cash off it. Then maybe Yahtzee can give me some of said cash to help pay for the years of fucking therapy I'm going to need after his particularly soul crushing little ditty. Mamma Mia indeed.

The delivery from both of you is spectacular as always.

Picked Mario early but the last line for Jim's blindsided me.

This is rapidly becoming my new favourite escapist video!

This is the second time I've watched a Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown. Previously I had only seen their first one--I thought Jim rhymed well while Yahtzee's was a little forced, wasn't particularly hooked and that was it. It never clicked that they were "competing" after a fashion (only grokked that from the comments here).

But having watched this episode and wondering what Yahtzee was on about until the punch line I finally grokked this show. If I had to throw a rose to one of them then I'll do so to Yahtzee because I didn't have a clue he was talking about Mario until the finale. Jim's was good but the deliberate smug grins between stanzas left me puzzled about his intent. I did grok that he was talking about Sonic from the start, though.

I'm going to watch this episode again so that I can appreciate Yahtzee's poem from the POV that he's talking about Mario. That's not usual for me, these days, watching an Escapist show twice.

I'm also going to watch all the other episodes as well, including the first one again.

You've got yourselves a new fan, guys. I hope this show lasts unlike other Escapist shows that tend to fold all too quickly.

Still think I prfer Yahtzees stuff on the whole, Jims poems are always fun and I enjoy them, but I feel Yahtzees have a bit more strength to them, like he could easily change them to work well out of the gaming context. Well, aside from the one from last week obviously.

The Mario poem was pretty ace, I didn't clock on until right at the end, but then everything fell into place, well played Mr Croshaw.

Copper Zen:
-snip-

But having watched this episode and wondering what Yahtzee was on about until the punch line I finally grokked this show. If I had to throw a rose to one of them then I'll do so to Yahtzee because I didn't have a clue he was talking about Mario until the finale. Jim's was good but the deliberate smug grins between stanzas left me puzzled about his intent. I did grok that he was talking about Sonic from the start, though.

I think Jim might be taking the piss to be fair, I think a lot of people complain about him looking down at his paper rather than at the audience, and a lot of people moan about his smug persona, so he was likely just hamming it up.

Also, grokk(ed)? I take it you mean clock(ed)? :P

'Yahtzee, you took up smoking! You've officially become a true poe... oh wait it's candy.'

And then I felt dumb

For some reason I find both these men strangely attractive. Yahtzee's voice is just... Yeah, sometimes it's creepy, sometimes totally hot. And a man who can make me laugh is better than anything, I so love Jim.

Again, very well done. I'm really enjoying these.

Ahh Sonic fans... or should I say Sanic Fons?

Sonic Team seems to stop taking their antipsychotic pills every time they make a new game, so its always fun to see what crap comes down the pipe.

canadamus_prime:
Both of those were rather disturbingly accurate.

I know,right? It's depressing. Also,kind of interesting how the cycle goes,isn't it?

GamerMage:

canadamus_prime:
Both of those were rather disturbingly accurate.

I know,right? It's depressing. Also,kind of interesting how the cycle goes,isn't it?

It's also interesting just how petty Sonic Fans are.

i just think yahtzee's a brilliant poet! and jim, do you know another voice intonation besides angry or smug?

elvor0:

I think Jim might be taking the piss to be fair, I think a lot of people complain about him looking down at his paper rather than at the audience, and a lot of people moan about his smug persona, so he was likely just hamming it up.

How dare Jim read from a page rather than have minute flaws similar to the ones I caught from Yahtzee's delivery! The nerve of the man!!! :D

Yeah, I can see how he'd ham it up in response to such criticisms. Good for you, Jim.

elvor0:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

At it's most basic grok means "I truly understand". Originating in Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land it had similarities to kythe from Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time series "The Time Quartet". You'd have to read both Heinlein's and L'Engle's books to see why, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kything

Or did I just miss a joke thanks to my allergy medicine misted mind? :D

THE RIVALS
by Chris Wolvie

There once were two rivals, one red and one blue
Jumping on foes was one thing they'd both do
One would punch bricks for each mushroom and flower
The other would speed at umpteen miles an hour

They had the same goal; yes, they had the same ends
Freeing the land and to help out their friends
And they both beat bosses so big and so mean
They'd do it each time just to see the next scene

But they didn't meet for a decade or two
These two bitter rivals, one red and one blue
These company mascots just stayed far away
On their own consoles for people to play

They both played in 2D; they both played in three
They both had their partners we cared not to see
But the twain never met; fanboys hardly missed 'em
'Cause you couldn't play both unless you had both systems

Then one day the blue one's life tanked very fast
For his bosses proclaimed the console was their last
But the spiny guy's days were not totally dead
He'd show up on ALL consoles, including the red's!

They still stayed apart, though; they had their own worlds
Still winning the heart of each boy and each girl
But their popularity was getting askew-ed
Quite frankly, the red guy was clobb'ring the blue

And then, in ought-seven, their worlds did collide
The two bitter rivals were now side-by-side
Would they fight on together? Stomp foes of both sorts?
Uh, no. They just brought in friends to play some sports

Then the next year came the king of them all
The red had invited the blue to a Brawl
But I feel he felt insulted by that take;
Before asking a hedgehog, he brought in a Snake

They got back together to match sporting wits
They played in Vancouver and then with the Brits
They'll play with the Russians on red guy's WiiU
(Assuming there're owners...I heard there were few)

These two former rivals, one red and one blue
They prob'bly meet up at times for a drink or two
They think of the good times, and sometimes they hoot,
"Remember that idiot, Crash Bandicoot?!?"

Yahtzee isn't blinking....

There could easily be an interesting poem about Peach constantly having to endure Bowser's unwanted, yet surprisingly pointless interruptions to her role in governing the mushroom kingdom. Maybe she uses her time in the spacious dungeon to catch up on fungal health care costs and toadstool tax exemption laws.

It was easy to know its going to be Mario for Yathzees one but boy listejing to it i got the shivers, you know, those where your whole body is so excited and pleased at the same time. this show has been steadily improvinjg and this is the best episode yet. you guys put words like "awesome" to shame for how poorly they describe. you know i never though i will ever follow any celebrity like those fokls that are crazy, but the more i see of you two the more i think maybe im bnot that different.

murdeoc:
and jim, do you know another voice intonation besides angry or smug?

Hes brittish, thats his natural state of being.
No, but really, on podcasts from 10 years ago his voice intonation were still the same.

Copper Zen:

elvor0:

How dare Jim read from a page rather than have minute flaws similar to the ones I caught from Yahtzee's delivery! The nerve of the man!!! :D

Yeah, I can see how he'd ham it up in response to such criticisms. Good for you, Jim.

elvor0:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

At it's most basic grok means "I truly understand". Originating in Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land it had similarities to kythe from Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time series "The Time Quartet". You'd have to read both Heinlein's and L'Engle's books to see why, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kything

Or did I just miss a joke thanks to my allergy medicine misted mind? :D

mm, you learn something new every day! Just assumed it was just a miss-spelling from English not being your first language or something. But turns out it's actually a pretty useful word.

The_Darkness:
Picked up on Yahtzee's fairly early on. (About when it was mentioned that 'he' never speaks to 'her'. There was a chance it might be Link, but Mario is far more famous and Link usually has a bit more plot than a 'journey to track down a lady'.) I still liked the punchline though.

I figured the same thing! Especially given Yahtzee's penchant for allegory. The punchline was a bit of a letdown, though, since the rhyme was so forced.

The thumbnail of the video kinda gave away immediately what they would both be about =S I wouldn't have guessed Yahtzee's so quickly otherwise.

Still waiting for someone to beat Yahtzee's Chest High Wall poem X) I was laughing so hard that I couldn't breathe.

Jim's punchline was awesome in this one! XD

As someone who has never been invested in the Sonic franchise, even I am frequently bamboozeled when I tune in, now and then.
It's just absolutely astonishing what happened to the franchise that could once rival Mario.
(It did not escape me that, from the two giants, one gets made fun of because he's "too famous", and the other gets made fun of because his games are shit.)
Like, every descicion they make - get more characters, make a werewolf version, 3D platforming/racing attempts - they all went horribly fucking wrong, somehow.
Statistically, this should be impossible. But somehow they manage to hit the bullshit-bullseye every. Single. Time.
It's just been a blast, watching the entire franchise crash and burn in slow-motion.

Today's captcha: basket case
Oh, captcha. Will you ever stop to amuse me? Probably not.

Another fantastic "episode", Yahtzee won this one with his depressing Mario poem.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here