Jimquisition: Damn Fine Coffee

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I don't think Overstrike would have been a much better game. It might have had better aesthetics and it was probably supposed to be lighthearted and humorous, but I don't think the core gameplay mechanics would be any different than they are in Fuse, and reviewers aren't really praising those.

But it's easier to see all the flaws when the game is so dull that every single boring thing doesn't even have a place to hide. At least in Overstrike the boring shooting could have been hidden behind some pretty stuff.

I remember having this particular conversation with randoms on /v/ a month ago

Adam Jensen:
I don't think Overstrike would have been a much better game. It might have had better aesthetics and it was probably supposed to be lighthearted and humorous, but I don't think the core gameplay mechanics would be any different than they are in Fuse, and reviewers aren't really praising those.

But it's easier to see all the flaws when the game is so dull that every single boring thing doesn't even have a place to hide. At least in Overstrike the boring shooting could have been hidden behind some pretty stuff.

Aye, flair can do much to hide flaws, even if its only for a little while. I mean god, personally I think the first Ratchet and Clank game is the weakest of the series (mainstays that is, not the spinoffs). It has none of the upgrading, health-leveling (as seen later on), and has a final boss that serves as no challenge besides being a horrible bullet-sponge. Yet the aesthetic and humorous flair the game exudes helps minimize all of those faults. It carried me to the end of the game, and a few fights against the last boss.

Mayhaps it would of been the same, but I'll say this. I have yet to see a game that switch from completely gritty/realistic to more lighthearted/cartoony and not succeed. I mean hell look at Borderlands, or by their own admission the Ratchet and Clank games.
Now, tell me of all the games that went from lighthearted to uber-gritty/realistic, and were big hits... because I sure as hell can't think of any.

Atmos Duality:

CyberMachinist:

snip

snip

The only question now is when? When will the field that is the gaming industry stop being fertile and you won't be able to grow the same game types anymore? cause at the moment it seems like there is still some nitrates in this field.

I'm pretty sure it was entrepreneurs like bill gates and Henry ford that changed their trade businesses old mindset and made enormous profits off it, granted I'm not sure if these are good examples but you know what I'm trying to say.

This kind of thing is what happens when you let old men run the world(a little reference for you) they can't replicate the same success that their outside-thinking predecessor made so they end up doing what they think will work based on the past because they don't have the same insight as the guy who knew how it worked and how to go beyond it.

captcha; Dalek asylum? Aren't we all in an asylum in this world filled with Daleks.

I never heard of Overstrike before... and now I'm sad that I have. That game actually looked interesting. The game it turned into, looks like just another generic pile of 'meh'.

uanime5:
Most likely they didn't consult females because they were targeting a male audience. Seriously if 90% of the people who play this genre are male then getting feedback from female gamers is likely to make your product worse as it won't be as focused on your core audience.

I don't know what sort of changes you'd need to make to Call of Duty to make it as popular with girls as Angry Birds but these changes will probably be hated by the people who like Call of Duty because it will radically alter this game.

It's not a zero-sum game. You don't necessarily lose a male audience by gaining a female one. Actually, the tendency to pick a choice based on what you believe your peer group would approve makes it at least as likely that a product's designers taking a broader perspective will open up the possibility of introducing elements that one type of audience would enjoy, even if they aren't currently aware that they would enjoy those things because they're limiting their consumption to what their peer group enjoys. Thirty years ago, people were still making jokes along the lines of "We had sushi back where we came from; course, we called it 'bait', hyuk hyuk." Now you can find sushi restaurants hundreds of miles from the water because people discovered, hey, this "sushi" thing could actually be pretty tasty.

It isn't some either-or dichotomy with Angry Birds and long talks about feelings on one side and Call of Duty and grunting about trucks on the other. It's possible to make games that appeal to a wider audience without diluting or disparaging things that appeal to a "core" audience. But first, things like focus testing have to be judged with a caution and thought and not simply perceived to be hard data that plots an unquestionable course to the motherload.

"The Last of Us" is already seen as having taken a significant risk in including a female character who is vital not just to the story-line but to the game play. But having taken that risk, to fail to consider the possibility that the game could appeal to both a male and female audience would just be short-sighted, even from a strictly business-oriented point of view.

true. even games that are average at least, you still can tell more or less if the developers put some effort in to it. this impression remember me gives me and im sure i will enjoy the game one way or another.
yes, RE6 is not a RE game anymore but as a shooter its actually still entertaining.

First off, I appreciate that just about every commentator on the games industry sees lack of AAA innovation as the most serious issue at hand, but this is just getting fucking repetitive. I get it. They get it. What we don't have is a solution that doesn't put their companies in immediate financial risk.

I'm honestly amazed that focus groups are still relevant int he internet age. A well place forum question can get you all the info you need and more ideas than you could implement. Proper usage comes down to the right questions: more "what you we like to see" and less "what games to you like" taking into account that some people lie, and others may have had every intention of using said feature or buying said game, but when it's a big month, sometimes you just buy Skyrim like everyone else. On our end, we need to be reasonable. Gamers want everything to be a mega epic quest with all the trimmings, but that gets expensive so it isn't a surprise they want to market to a game to the demographic they know won't ask for much. Similarly, if all we bring to the table is lists of things we don't like instead of a few new ideas, we can the "impossible to please" label and get ignored.

But then, as others have said, innovation is more a buzz word than something we truly want. There's a lot of indy games to sate the thirst for something new, but somehow that $5 is too big a risk on a new game, even though we spend more than that for burgers made of pink slime and grease.So many metrics go back to companies through achievements, trophies and digital buying systems, that they probably have a better idea of what we'll buy than we do as we claim to want something new, but play the umpteenth sequel, or the COD clone.

And just for the record, I hate coffee. I don't even really like coffee flavored things.

Needs at least half of cup of 1/2 & 1/2 & half a packet of Sweet'n'Low, & that's only if I'm not in the mood for one of a billion different flavored creamers. I bore with flavors quickly so I rotate them. If the coffee-to-flavor ration is imbalanced by being too sweet or too diluted, I'll dump it out & start with a fresh cup.

You could say I like my games the same way.

Am I the only one who adds cream until the coffee is the exact same color as my skin?

It's a classic case of the snake eating its own tail. Its not that focus groups are bad or inefficient and stupid. The biggest problem is that the publishers have already told everyone on the focus group what they want and they are just paroting that. Using a small group of profesionals to judge and anylize a problem is a common method used in statistics, of course these views are usually kept unbiased.

The only real solution to using a focus group is to get one that is completely untainted by industry nonsense and the only way to get one of those is to wait till the industry realizes that it needs to change.

Yes Thank God for you Mr Sterling. I almost have to doubt many of the game industry actually watch this show or take any of it on face value or you'd see someone else trying make sense of it all.

They want to make check list of what I want here we go...

- Make me a pile of damn Good Jrpgs....remember back in the PS1 and PS2 you couldn't walk down a game aisle and not almost trip over them. They re on the verge of extinction nowdays. Square has become the emperor with no clothes as they don't seem remember how make games that you actually can play. (I've been recently replaying Chrono trigger, Final fantasy 1,4 and 6 on GBA looking back like how far the mighty have fallen.) and Suikoden never seemed to get a big enough following in the states to keep making them. I'd like some turn based, some actiony ones, and some strategy based ones. Give me a ton of different ones with whatever crazy ideas you want to add. Go nuts, just start making them again. I'm tired of them being banished to Handhelds and DLC. Someone out there make them in earnest. This is a corner of the market greatly under served.

- Games I can play co op with people in the same room. Yes we have the internet and who wants to share a split screen right....wrong. I miss the days of playing 4 player multiplayer in the same room. Tearing thru waves of bad guys in an action game with my brother. Alot of games seem to not want to make the co op local. (which I hated about War for Cybertron.)Wii seems be the only system that still tried give us that experience. PS3 and Xbox 360 have dried up this well for most part.

I'm sure I can add more, but these are things Id like to see more of in the future.

Never saw that original trailer for Fuse. The cartoon look was really cool and reminded me of Team Fortress 2. I would have much rather played that than what they ended up releasing!

Maybe I'm a total ignoramus (rhetorical question ok, shutup) but I thought people answer anonymous surveys and provide statistical results more truthfully than they otherwise would when speaking to their buddies/colleagues/partners or whomever? In any case, this proves to be very different, or maybe that's because we are on forums. So I can think of 2 different scenarios going on here, in the case of GAMES, because that's what Jim's explanation refers to:

A) Gamers are simply providing superficial results to the focus groups, because they don't go parallel with what gamers are actually buying; they say they want innovation but in fact continue to buy the big franchises as quick as they can be released.

B) Gamers are providing truthful results, and would go more in-line with what we read on forums, but they just continue buying the stuff that comes out anyways, because of....other reasons? The higher quality, better graphics, what? And don't tell me "customer service"

JohnnyDelRay:
Maybe I'm a total ignoramus (rhetorical question ok, shutup) but I thought people answer anonymous surveys and provide statistical results more truthfully than they otherwise would when speaking to their buddies/colleagues/partners or whomever? In any case, this proves to be very different, or maybe that's because we are on forums. So I can think of 2 different scenarios going on here, in the case of GAMES, because that's what Jim's explanation refers to:

A) Gamers are simply providing superficial results to the focus groups, because they don't go parallel with what gamers are actually buying; they say they want innovation but in fact continue to buy the big franchises as quick as they can be released.

B) Gamers are providing truthful results, and would go more in-line with what we read on forums, but they just continue buying the stuff that comes out anyways, because of....other reasons? The higher quality, better graphics, what? And don't tell me "customer service"

Focus Groups aren't surveys, they are where you get a 'random' sample of potential clients/customers stick them in a room and show them the product, all the while allowing them to chatter amongst themselves.

There is a little more to it but that is the gist of it.

Ed130:

JohnnyDelRay:

Focus Groups aren't surveys, they are where you get a 'random' sample of potential clients/customers stick them in a room and show them the product, all the while allowing them to chatter amongst themselves.

There is a little more to it but that is the gist of it.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I should have read a bit more about what a focus group is before posting (no sarcasm! Honestly I thought it was more of a survey as well).

But now that I have had a quick glance at wiki-P, my comments are still kinda the same, only now, there's even less of a sense of anonymity, because you are actually talking to people about it and giving feedback, even if it's with total strangers.

I've honestly never heard of "New Coke"

If you have your coffee club meetings in that shack.... that must be a pretty grim coffee club.

daxterx2005:

It's a 1985-1992 thing.
It might not of been a failure - coke eventually re-released classic coke and everyone went wild.
people think it was a publicity stunt

...Is "black fine roast" drip? I'm not a coffee connoisseur.

I like drip coffee, but that's mainly because it's so strong tasting that it actually wakes me up on the late nights or early mornings I need coffee.

I think there are a few reasons why publishers don't listen to you, Jim. I should warn you that you're not going to like them.

1.) Let's start off with you - your attitude is off-putting to say the least - especially to genteel boardroom types. They don't want to see or hear some guy with an ego the size of Jupiter mouthing off and hurling abuse at them like some sort of anti-EA strawman.

I know that your ego is part of your schtick, but if you truly wanted boardroom types to listen to you - ditch the ego and replace it with maturity. I'm not telling you to become a corporate brown-noser like those in IGN (screw those guys) - but be a little more mature in future.

2.) Publishers won't listen to you or anyone because some of them are still making profits and have since adopted an "I'm OK, Jack" attitude. Until they are all in complete freefall, no-one will truly get listened to. However, with the X-box One about to tank - this may be a situatation that remedies itself.

3.) The Frat-boys, CoD Bros, CoD Kids and Console Peasants or whatever derisive name everyone here calls them are still the backbone of gaming. They're the ones who buy most of the games or at least have games bought for them - those who like a little imagination, story and a little context put into the games like us - are sadly the minority.

Remember those days when gamers wanted to share their hobby with everyone and for more people to become gamers? It'd seem some financial djinni were listening and have since granted that wish. Like you, I will lament the fact that games are no longer the art they once were but are turning into business products. I can only hope that this mythical crash will come soon and purge the money-men out of gaming.

IronMit:

daxterx2005:

It's a 1985-1992 thing.
It might not of been a failure - coke eventually re-released classic coke and everyone went wild.

That's good to know, never heard about new coke either.

Also it's "might HAVE" not "might of". Using the latter is a horrible sin against common sense and the actual meaning of the words, and you should feel bad for that! D: (Where is this coming from anyways? It's popping up more and more lately)

The Arma series is an excellent example of game that has been developed for the players and not chasing some sort of market share.

The game is more of a sandbox in which you can create your own scenarios
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdKwsWKP1dA

Also this happened
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV0np7HOiSk

DayZ was based on the ARMA engine and also why I started watching the Shacktac videos.

Steam does seem to have a lot of games like Prison Architect that you would not find anywhere else.

It's these types of videos when you look at wider issues involving the entire state of gaming which I really enjoy.

When you started talking about the manipulation of testing groups all I could think about was this:

Watching this again I think this is eerily similar to what happens...

UrinalDook:
[...] but if you've figured this out, why the fuck haven't the developers?

Because the Developers aren't in control, the Publishers are. And even the Publishers aren't really in control either, the Shareholders are. Do you see where this is going?

If you've ever been one of those people who wonder why companies like Valve, CDProjekt, Bethesda and Blizzard (before their merger with Activision) get so much praise, well it's because they can do whatever the fuck they want and they can take however long they need!

Rainforce:

IronMit:

daxterx2005:

It's a 1985-1992 thing.

That's good to know, never heard about new coke either.

Also it's "might HAVE" not "might of". Using the latter is a horrible sin against common sense and the actual meaning of the words, and you should feel bad for that! D: (Where is this coming from anyways? It's popping up more and more lately)

It's common where I am from. Not sure why...it could be a West London slang thing or a 2nd generation immigrant thing
I remember a few of our English teacher's continually correcting us

One thing you forgot to mention Jim. Even if a focus group is made up of people of relevant demographics that all give their honest opinions and they actually have relevant opinions, they are statistically irrelevant. The problem with surveying a group of people to figure out ANYTHING about a much much larger group of people has always been that the size of said group is always far too small to really be effective at determining anything. 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 people, hell, even 100,000 is still too small a number to actually mean anything when the group you're trying to find crap out about numbers to several million people or more.

I couldn't care LESS about Call of Duty

Strangely the amount of games I have bought last years have been..less then expected.

Odd how that goes!

I say I probably wouldn't have the Social Bias thingy as much as others.

I Drink Milky Coffee! And I'm not afraid to admit that!

...Of course the trick is to use less hot water, more coffee, more Milk, and more sugar.

...Although I may just use more coffee because I have a desperate need for Caffeine that no normal drink can state in one go. So rich or not, regular levels of coffee are going to do shit.

So... Mild Brew coffee with lots of milk, sugar and Caffeine?

Why don't I just grab a soft drink then?

Oh Wait! I DO!

Among other confessions, I don't like guns as a weapon, or shooter games. But its not because they are bland. Its because I have horrible aim and can't shoot for crap.

So instead I'm an avid player of games that use close range maneuverability based combat. Where I can dash in and out of my enemies range of attack at will.

Further more. Of the few games I bought in the last... However long. One major thing they all had in common was they looked like an anime...

Such as one where you play as some character that fight evil with Giant Magical Suits of Armour, one where students enter a TV to fight TV inspired Demons using fragments of their own psyche that look like Cartoon Characters, and a game that allows your Avatar to date the Future Child of your Best Friends, and then have your own child date another one.

...There was also one where I had to actually orchestrate Time Shenanigans... But that was to prove to myself I could wrap my head around it.

Also... I stopped Playing Minecraft when I realized I didn't really have anything I really wanted to make besides a Plate to block out the sun... Which would take forever. And generally, I would have preferred to make something that can move. Like an animal or space ship, or orbital Space Station. And your capacity to make those in Minecraft are Dangerously limited.

...Actually... Now that I think about it... If one wants to make any head way with Focus groups. You need to have them treat it like a confessional group. All "I know this is embarrassing... But I must confess..." and stuff.

...And in a strange sort of confession... normally... When I'm brought into a group... I generally oppose every popular decision everyone else makes because "It's been done", and try to interject my own Ideas and get someone to make something crazy that will appeal to me... But nobody ever listens to me. Although that may just be because I'm overbearing and possessive.

Jimothy Sterling:
snip.

There is always some method in madness Jim. Thank god for ya! And welcome to the tin foil hat club!

I think several people may be missing a critically important point here about Focus Groups. There's a lot of ink spilled in the last few pages of posts I've read through about how (1) people aren't truthful in those groups out of pressure, (2) companies aren't honest about the data provided, (3) it should be done "man on the street" style outside of a select sample, (4) there should be better questions to encourage more diverse opinion, and/or (5) the consumer isn't educated enough to answer well.

I don't think any of that is the issue.

What the study/research shows is that there's a disconnect between peoples' answers (and this goes to scale, it isn't idiocy or ignorance or fraud or anything untoward) and their actual behavior. Too many people, I feel, are trying to make this a difference between the stated preferences of a focus group in an interview and the stated preferences of real gamers in a real gamer world.

I think that's short-sighted.

The disconnect is between what consumers genuinely believe they want (including real gamers and casual ones and weak ones) and what they actually spend time, money, effort, and joy experiencing. The astonishing truth isn't that companies do focus groups wrong, it's that most consumers (even those who think they know better) really don't know what they want--not very well. And in a world (like games, I imagine) where part of the art is the new experience, it must be much harder to position the next product in front of a consumer base that says one thing (and believes it) and actually truly deeply only wants another (which they don't know how to express).

In actuality, and likelihood, both the Dude-Frat-bro CoD gamer (whom people seem to disdain here) and the Gamecore (Tru-gamer) Guy are both bad at this. It'd would be born out in their actual playtime what they truly like and don't.

Rich coffee with two sugars. No. Milk. Rich is not the same as 'toasted' to charcoal though. It means the beans I like have good flavor and have been prepared accordingly. Also I don't get coffee from 'coffee chain shops'. If I do it's because I want a frappe, and that's my coffee icecream.

ANYWAY. As much as I love rambling about my coffee addiction. Can't say I can argue with this. Publishers and Developers are far too rigid with 'focus testing'. Sega of London recently hired some female playtesters (my friend is one) so I can start to see how they're worried they're not focus testing fairly and are failing trying to push the gritty and realistic too heavily on ONE age group.

But you also have to beware of the other end of the spectrum which is trying to please everyone.

Sadly the 12 year old male demographic is STILL the most lucrative. But if you can expand that outwards a little bit (not too much) to 12 year old girls, or even younger/older. Etc. Maybe do some one off games that do appeal to different audiences...

You might develop a product that's got a little more meat to it.

Toxic Sniper:
...Is "black fine roast" drip? I'm not a coffee connoisseur.

I like drip coffee, but that's mainly because it's so strong tasting that it actually wakes me up on the late nights or early mornings I need coffee.

pretty much anything can be made for Drip, but yes fine generally refers to how well ground it is, and the thinner the better for drip coffee , the "dark roast" has to do with how long the beans are cooked.

The longer that they are cooked the more bitter and strong the coffee is, generally speaking of course.

Myself I am a medium roast man with a bit of cream.

And now that coffee talk is over... Jim, great job again! Favorite show on the escapist.

Gunner 51:
I think there are a few reasons why publishers don't listen to you, Jim. I should warn you that you're not going to like them.

1.) Let's start off with you - your attitude is off-putting to say the least - especially to genteel boardroom types. They don't want to see or hear some guy with an ego the size of Jupiter mouthing off and hurling abuse at them like some sort of anti-EA strawman.

I know that your ego is part of your schtick, but if you truly wanted boardroom types to listen to you - ditch the ego and replace it with maturity. I'm not telling you to become a corporate brown-noser like those in IGN (screw those guys) - but be a little more mature in future.

2.) Publishers won't listen to you or anyone because some of them are still making profits and have since adopted an "I'm OK, Jack" attitude. Until they are all in complete freefall, no-one will truly get listened to. However, with the X-box One about to tank - this may be a situatation that remedies itself.

3.) The Frat-boys, CoD Bros, CoD Kids and Console Peasants or whatever derisive name everyone here calls them are still the backbone of gaming. They're the ones who buy most of the games or at least have games bought for them - those who like a little imagination, story and a little context put into the games like us - are sadly the minority.

Remember those days when gamers wanted to share their hobby with everyone and for more people to become gamers? It'd seem some financial djinni were listening and have since granted that wish. Like you, I will lament the fact that games are no longer the art they once were but are turning into business products. I can only hope that this mythical crash will come soon and purge the money-men out of gaming.

Not to be a complete douche but...<douche> BOLLOCKS!</douche>

Frankly, the corporates and moneymen would not listen to the type of mature, calmly asserted, reasoned critique that you advocate. We know this because amidst the fanboi wars and vitriol on the web, over the years there has been an abundance of the calm, respectful critique you mention on the internet. EA in particular have been given reams of respectful feedback for years on the Bioware forums on matters of DRM/Origin Requirements, changes to Dragon Age (DA2 WTF?), Mass Effect 3's evolution from RPG to 3rdPS, the 'ending' controversy, for example. And they've never so much as entered into an honest conversation with those fans. They don't even bother to pretend they're listening. They go so far as to say discussions of aspects of the product you buy from them are 'off topic'! And the bioware forums have subsequently degenerated into a cesspool of vitriol and hate between the fanbois and the few pissed-off former fans who still bother to show up.

So screw them. The simple fact is that corporates don't listen to logic, or common sense. They look only at the bottom line in the short term. They do whatever they feel they can get away with, regardless of morality or legality, or the long term effect on their company. I think they'd forcibly addict their mother to crack and sell her to a pimp if they thought it would improve their bottom line for the coming quarter.

Jim is one of the only gaming journos who doesn't appear to be suffering some form of stockholm syndrome with regards to the increasingly soulless and myopic AAA industry. (RPS is another outlet that still can see the forest for the trees.) Aside from them, games journalism is an oxymoron.

I hope Jim continues his rants because calling a pile of bovine excrement 'bullshit' without mincing words, without couching it in pseudo-intellectual claptrap, without kow-towing and genuflecting to the exalted status of the C-suites, is about the only thing that MIGHT get them to pause for a second and consider that maybe they ought to start paying attention to the lowly rabble gathering with pitchforks and torches outside the gates of their silence-shielded PR-cocoon and the lower level yes-men they surround themselves with. Jim is the anti-silence to the publishers 'silence' strategy. Long may he continue to throw the brickbats.

Thank God for Jim, indeed.

I'll tell you what game I want to see come out. Call of Booty. It would be bright and colorful, well there would be a lot of tans, creams, pinks, and the like, you could have a female protagonist if you wanted to, and the whole game would be about going through a wide open sandbox trying to score booty. The hotter and more desirable the person the more challenging to seduce and the higher the score would be. There would be unlockables, achievements, gear you could wear to make yourself more desirable to different people, you could level up your looks or witty banter, or charm, etc.

Of course that game would never focus test well so I guess we'll never get it.

All of Jim's videos have so much naivete and misinformation in it, it's not funny. Doesn't help that he sounds like a populist.

His never-ending AAA games bashing is getting annoying. What Jim doesn't understand is that even smaller B-tier games are still multi-million projects and quite risky for publisher. (more than last gen)
On the bright sight, less rubbish games and shovelware were made this gen on PS3/360. (the amount of awful Ps2 and Wii games/shovelware was breathtaking, especially towards the end of their lifecycle)

But here is the thing I really dislike about him, he's a hypocrite.
Jim actually admitted in some neogaf thread that he gets his ideas and topics from "hardcore gamer" forums. (god, that term makes me cringe)
The thing is, he also copies the answers. He basically steals his content and forms his opinions based on other people's work. (i.e. long-winded written opinions by other forum users) Most of the time he just repeats the most sensible answers ad nauseam and claims to be the voice of reason. It's basically a copy-paste job.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53282400&postcount=539

I guess it's the new formula to make successful videogame related videos on youtube.
i.e. A video of someone complaining about companies making money. I'm sure at some point he'll start talking about "the industry" because everybody that owns a console seems to know what's right for "the industry".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here