Escape to the Movies: The Purge

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I don't like Romney and I don't like obama either. now that I made my position clear I have one question. What exactly did mentioning romney do to add to this review?

Screamarie:
...Yeah I've already seen The Strangers and it was good and there's a reason why there isn't a sequel.

I'm a little disappointed because I was hoping for a little more out of this movie. Much like we're seeing a change in music from party, party, party club music to tunes with at least a LITTLE thought to their lyrics, I've been hoping for some change in movies as well to something...not Transformers? Does that make any sense. And I think we've been seeing that a little, but...

*sigh* I hope for too much, I know.

It was terrible and I still apologize to the friend i dragged to it back in the day.

It literally had the most unsympathetic, uninteresting victims you could ever know,
the paving sucked ass, i can't think of one reason why it was good.

I saw trailers for this and thought it looked cool. Too bad it's a disappointment...

Whoa, whoa, wait... "his young SON takes pity on a wounded homeless man"... Don't you mean his DAUGHTER?! At least, I THOUGHT it was his daughter from the trailers.

Scribblesense:
When I first saw the trailer, I immediately grouped this movie in with the Schadenfreude wank material that is Hostel, Saw, Human Centipede, etc, just written by a Freshman philosophy major who thinks something like this is a grand idea.

I don't subscribe to the idea that we're all perverted demons on the inside, and the only thing keeping us from raping and eating each other is the belief that the man upstairs is watching. By the end of the trailer my eyes had rolled out of my head.

But I didn't stop to think that this movie could have been smart at one time, actually exploring themes of class and privilege instead of revelling in the angry adolescent fantasies we all grow out of, and I am rather disappointed now that it turned into "Taken" meets "The Strangers".

Not that I ever would have seen this anyway.

It's the joker theme i noticed you didn't lump dark knight in there cause
than you would been laughed at.

and who is we? I don't have a giant problem with everyone who's upper class but
it's not like it's harder to find older people who do.

Well grow out of....
I swear even movie bobs fans are pretentious.

MB202:
I saw trailers for this and thought it looked cool. Too bad it's a disappointment...

Wait your going to trust movie bob to your friday night?... Noooo..

I intend to go watch it. I had a feeling the movie was gonna be narrow in scope.
But what i took away from movie bobs theme was "I already saw robo cop so i didn't need this. I LOVE OLD Stuff!"

He's a bitter old man that can't be trusted with this sort of task only to be used for entertainment value.

Dangit2019:

piscian:
Ethan Hawke is struggling and it's getting more and more obvious that he's in a downturn. His "American beauty" or "twelve monkeys" is not coming anytime soon.

I wouldn't say that; Before Midnight just came out and it was great. You can't blame the guy for signing up to an interesting premise when he didn't have anything to do with overall production of the movie.

OT: This movie would have been much more interesting from the viewpoint of a poor kid on the street running for his life and trying to find a safe place to stay, but apparently Hollywood can't make a horror movie about anything other than a white upper-middle class family being attacked in their house for dumbass reasons.

This was a much better movie when it was called "Judgement Night".

piscian:

Dangit2019:

piscian:
Ethan Hawke is struggling and it's getting more and more obvious that he's in a downturn. His "American beauty" or "twelve monkeys" is not coming anytime soon.

I wouldn't say that; Before Midnight just came out and it was great. You can't blame the guy for signing up to an interesting premise when he didn't have anything to do with overall production of the movie.

OT: This movie would have been much more interesting from the viewpoint of a poor kid on the street running for his life and trying to find a safe place to stay, but apparently Hollywood can't make a horror movie about anything other than a white upper-middle class family being attacked in their house for dumbass reasons.

This was a much better movie when it was called "Judgement Night".

good movie. or at least as good as a movie as you'll get with Dennis leary.
Difference is that was a movie on the run.. this is a movie in a locked up house..

I'm guessing this is close to straw Dogs which dragged alot ass and was trying
to shove some message down my throat but i basically ignored it, or if you insist
my stupidity saved me.

So I guess you would jumped in to a more of a The Purge series (kind of like 24 well 12 hours showing different perspective of different people spending their purge)?
Yeah I saw that The Internship trailer and there is no way in hell I am watching that film with my uncle (he's had been a movie going lately which I get to tag along). I pretty much can't stand those type of films.

I was hoping that the movie would be good after being advertised on every other Youtube video in the past week or two.
Except for Bioshock Infinite, all of the media advertised in videos recently have been disappointments.

[

Magog1:

MB202:

Wait your going to trust movie bob to your friday night?... Noooo..

I intend to go watch it. I had a feeling the movie was gonna be narrow in scope.
But what i took away from movie bobs theme was "I already saw robo cop so i didn't need this. I LOVE OLD Stuff!"

He's a bitter old man that can't be trusted with this sort of task only to be used for entertainment value.

Of course I'm going to trust MovieBob on movies, I always trust MovieBob's take on movies. He has no real reason to be wrong about what he says, not to mention, his line of thinking generally tends to match up with my own

Also, if you genuinely thought that about this review, then all I can say is you're either very shallow-minded, you COMPLETELY missed the point of what Bob was getting at, or you just have a general MovieBob bias, which is surprisingly common. Seriously, "I already saw RoboCop, so I don't need to see this"? Are you fucking kidding me? I mean, pardon my language and sorry if I'm coming off rude, but it's like you're putting words in MovieBob's mouth and just outright ASSUMING he's blinded by nostlagia. In fact, I'm going to outright boycott this movie and tell everyone I know not to see it just to piss you off! I'm literally so freaking outraged by this asinine assumption that I-

Oh... whoa... sorry, I got carried away there. I didn't really mean most of that, but seriously, your logic is flawed and you missed what Bob was getting at entirely with the review. After all, Bob's come out and said before that yeah, he has nostalgia bias, but he also addressed the fact that the past isn't sacred numerous times, and unlike so many others, he can actually look PAST his nostalgia goggles and judge movies on their own merits, and with this movie, he makes it clear that the movie takes it's awesome premise and squanders it. Hell, he only mentions RoboCop once, and NOT as a comparison to RoboCop, but as a means to say yeah, sometimes heavy-handed messages need to be delivered, this movie just delivered it incredibly poorly.

So yeah, I won't see this movie, because unlike YOU, I know when Bob's genuine and not just biased.

I refuse to watch this one on two grounds- on one hand the commercial for this movie was so overplayed online so early and so long that I wouldn't watch it even if I was interested. And I'm not, because the premise is, (sorry Bob), TEEEEERIBLE. I know people. I've seen them. People's sense of over inflated justice is too high for something like the premise to ever happen in real life. That's why we'd rather send perpetrators to jail than properly rehabilitate them, even when the numbers say that would be a better thing for society.

Wait, this premise sounds familiar.... Wasn't there a similar "holiday" in Dishonored's backstory, where people would be able to do anything, kill anyone and do other socially unacceptable things for a day each year for what they were later unaccountable for? It had something to do with new year, and the core of the idea was that it was a day that "did not exists", and therefore whatever happened on their day also "didn't count". Is this a parallel development, or did one get the idea from the other?

So does the movie bother to explain how
1. The so called "New Founding Fathers" managed to get to power in the first place with the whole "Crime is legal" thing?
2. This somehow makes the world an oh-so-perfect place?

The idea of the movie sounds retarded. Any crime goes? Yeah, guess your not worried about the economy when its those poor defenseless people that are dustman, work in the sewers and are cashiers in stores. Without lower class or poor people, this world would collapse because rich people are not going to work those crappy jobs. The whole idea of The Purge only works if your 10 years old without a grasp of how society works. Anyone with half a brain cell can see this movie idea is dumb. Even on the big scene of major crime like hacking etc still doesnt work. Unless the story based on the people rising up to take back their country from those in power, its an idea left undone.

In an echo of everyone else here, I am so sad. This seemed like the grownup version of the Hunger Games. I thought this would be a really neat commentary on human instinct, class disparities, political manipulation, and all that, and that the "rescuing a dude" plot I saw in the trailer was going to be "when everyone is out to get you and you're aware that the human race is a steaming pile of murderous shit, how do you bring yourself to take a chance to save someone?"

Instead, it's a slasher movie.

So damn lame.

Oh yeah, and as for everyone who says this is a dumb concept, so is 1984 and every other dystopia. They're exaggerations. No, no matter how much you really want to claim that certain policy makers are going to turn America into Brave New World, it's *not going to happen,* and same with this movie's concept.

I once heard that every work of fiction gets to have one count of "just suspend your disbelief, dammit" and that's it. Lord of the Rings has "you're living in a world with elves and orcs." Every dystopia ever...has the "this would never happen" point.

MovieBob:
The Purge

MovieBob lets it all out in his review of The Purge.

Watch Video

Really, Bob. A shot at Mitt? Still bitter about winning the presidency?

Moviebob, you usually annoy me with your constant praise of marvel movies, but to find out your fave movie is robocop you have garnered some massive respect points. As for the film i wasnt expecting much. Just because the government says you can commit crime doesn't mean people will, such a bs premise if i ever heard one.

thehorror2:
What's the "boyfriend subplot" that he mentions in the stinger? I haven't seen the movie and I have no desire to, but I'm curious what's going on with that.

The teenage daughter has a boyfriend who's 18 and apparently so much older than her making her possibly the most hyper developed presumably 14/15 year old in the world. (The actress is 23 and without sounding too crass she has a whopper pair on her and spends the entire movie in a catholic school girl outfit)

Anyway. Her father doesn't approve. During the purge, after the house has locked down it turns out the boyfriend snuck in to "have a talk" with her father about the being together. Actually he shoots at the guy, misses, gets shot dies and goes on not mattering for the rest of the movie.

I don't know what I'm offended by the most.
The writers' complete disregard for how the idea of a "Purge" wouldn't work (near full-employment just gets you exponential inflation).
Or, that this seems like a high-budget, Libertarian knock-off of "God Bless America."

Blunderboy:

My other question is, if there is not going to be any repercussions for your crime why would you bother to wear a mask? Just to be 'spooky'? Sod that.

I imagine it's for protection from other homicidal lunatics. Basically, other people who might want to kill you will see the entire group of people with the same masks and realize you've got back-up. Or they really did just think it was spooky and I'm giving this movie too much credit.

OT: Nope. Those masks are dumb as hell and that last clip Bob showed, with the woman walking through a hallway and a masked guy popping in through the window, made me laugh. Not the kind of "this seems like it might be fun" laugh, but rather the "I can't believe they thought was a legitimately scary shot" laugh. Looks terrible even as a dumb slasher flick.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:
I don't like Romney and I don't like obama either. now that I made my position clear I have one question. What exactly did mentioning romney do to help this review and what was the point?

The character is "uber scary capitalist swine who hates the poor". To be honest this actually may have been a defense of Romny from Bob. I think what he's saying is the character is such a heavy handed strawman that the only way the creators could have been less subtle is by having it actually be Mitt Romney.

Also why does everything have to have a point? It was a joke in an entertainment series with a focus on film criticism giving a review of a shitty slasher movie. What part of any of that has a noble purpose?

Blunderboy:

Daystar Clarion:
Damn, I was hoping it would deal with the issues you listed Bob, but it just turns out it's another terrible slasher fic?

Boo T^T

Yup, like we don't have enough of this.
My other question is, if there is not going to be any repercussions for your crime why would you bother to wear a mask? Just to be 'spooky'? Sod that.
Everyday people doing horrible things is much scarier than that.

You would wear a mask because you don't want to become the victim in 365 days. Your neighbour's dog has been crapping in your yard, you've told him dozens of times to stop it, but he just ignores you. So during The Purge, you kill the dog. That's going to annoy the neighbour, so during the next Purge he does something to do in retaliation for you killing his dog. The next Purge you up the ante. Etc., Etc.

YOU FAIL CRIMINOLOGY FOREVER MOVIE.

Zor

Blunderboy:

I'd wear a mask too, simply because the purge is a re-occurring event.

I wouldn't want anyone I might have 'wronged' during one purge to remember my face, and then have a year to spend planning on specifically targetting me during the next purge.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:
I don't like Romney and I don't like obama either. now that I made my position clear I have one question. What exactly did mentioning romney do to help this review and what was the point?

Are you guys complaining about the Romney name drop not paying attention at all? He said this movie was completely un-subtle based on the theme that purge like activities are better for one class of person and bad for another. Romney is was the front runner for the party that publicly caters to a specific demographic. He didn't say "hey guys, I hate Mittens so I'm going to bash on him here", he said this was artless and heavy handed.

I understand sensitivity, but context is everything.

Dude. It's based on a Russian Novel with the same idea. It could have been so so so much better than this slasher movie it turned out to be.

Blunderboy:

Daystar Clarion:
Damn, I was hoping it would deal with the issues you listed Bob, but it just turns out it's another terrible slasher fic?

Boo T^T

Well people are making a party out of it, aren't they? No different to Halloween.

Blunderboy:

Daystar Clarion:

Boo T^T

That was my biggest concern about the movie honestly.

It seems to me the only reason they worse the masks is just to be scary and creepy, but it looks like it just fell flat. I miss good slasher movies. :(

I knew this movie would be crap. Said basic slasher movie, with an interesting premise.

If the purge was to really happen I would expect less murdering and far more heinous unspeakable boning.

Vault Citizen:
I wonder if the Purge would have been better as a tv series in which all the episodes focus on the sane day but from the wealth of different premises possible with the idea of one law free day. In such a series I also think it would be good to show the days leading up to the purge, to see how people prepare (besides the obvious) and the days immediately following to see how people move on from this day each year.

Edit - I was thinking about Bob's comment regarding smaller stores and it made me think that in the world of this movie there might be am additional Black Friday style holiday. The less stock a store has on the day of the purge the less it has to defend and the less it stands to lose. So I can imagine stores, especially the smaller ones who can't afford the security would be inclined to offer discounts on their stock the day before the purge so that they can make some money off of the stock that they risk losing and losing money on if it remains in the store for the dreaded day. In my mind the store owners and customers would take to informally calling this day "Binge Day"

Such a rich premise, such a shame to hear that it wasn't mined properly.

I think it can go further than the binge day thing. People contemplating their morality, riots and revolutions going on, the change in sciencedue to the incusion of forbidden research. The purge is the type of change to society that can reveal so much about humanity and it's society but it was instead used as a cheap setup.

what a disappointment. Moviegoers are dumber in the waste of such potential.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:

Romney is known to be extremely supportive for less regulation and more power to corporations. He was making the point that the only way to make a movie with the villains as embodiments of predatory capitalism less subtle is to have one of them be Mitt Romney who has been accused of predatory capitalism with Bain capital and was believed to have encouraged it.

Scribblesense:
When I first saw the trailer, I immediately grouped this movie in with the Schadenfreude wank material that is Hostel, Saw, Human Centipede, etc, just written by a Freshman philosophy major who thinks something like this is a grand idea.

I don't subscribe to the idea that we're all perverted demons on the inside, and the only thing keeping us from raping and eating each other is the belief that the man upstairs is watching. By the end of the trailer my eyes had rolled out of my head.

But I didn't stop to think that this movie could have been smart at one time, actually exploring themes of class and privilege instead of revelling in the angry adolescent fantasies we all grow out of, and I am rather disappointed now that it turned into "Taken" meets "The Strangers".

Not that I ever would have seen this anyway.

The movie looks terrible, no doubt, and the concept is utter trash (Battle Royale re-imagined by, as you said, a "Freshman philosophy major"), but I actually think they underestimate how bad people are. Yes, the majority of people are not evil, but what about people who can make bombs? What about nuclear devices? What about drug cartels? (Imagine how bad they'd be.) And what about hackers who could just take all the rich people's money, with no consequence? What about international consequences of actions? I really don't think this would benefit anyone, rich or poor.

This must be one of the most poorly thought-out movie concepts I've ever heard...

Luckily I wasn't planning on seeing this one just on the fact that the premise seemed so utterly asinine as to strain credibility. Now that I've heard what you have to say it just seems more asinine. For one thing people hold grudges in real life. Why wouldn't there be a rash of revenge murders after the purge? Who came up with the notion that law enforcement was the only agent of consequence in human society? If you have a society where people will forgive you for hacking their sister to death the day after you did it why would you need the purge at all? They have obviously achieved sainthood already. If the purge disproportionally targets the poor that leads to another problem. Since the beginning of civilization there have always been more poor than rich. This would eventuate in a popular uprising if the poor become convinced that the rich are actually trying to kill them by... well... the rich trying to kill them. A thing like this would actually hasten a collapse rather than prevent it. It would seem that they got all caught up in their quirky premise that they forgot to think it all the way through.

It sounds like this movie would have been significantly better if it had been made in, say, 1987, with a tighter budget, no name actors, and a stake in genuinely shocking the audience for the sake of making an impact. It sounds like what came out was an interesting premise that got dumbed down into high-concept by-the-numbers audience-pleaser that hit exactly the narrative and visceral points required but couldn't be bothered to paint outside the lines for fear of alienating 10% of the audience with something challenging.

I thought the premise had promise for a decent story, so it sucks to hear that it's just a bad slasher film. Ugh.

Also, I love Lena Headley in Game of Thrones, and hoped that she would get a hit here. Looks like that isn't happening.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here