Zero Punctuation: Halo 3

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

bodiddly83:
and I might not. the statement holds true to just about all of those

Not really, actually. Ikaruga and Gradius V can absolutely murder you on easy if you lose your attention for even a split second. Company of Heroes' AI' can really stretch you thin during the heat of battle. Metal Gear Solid's AI can easily overwhelm you if you get caught. Ninja Gaiden (I'm talking about the original 2004 Xbox release, so normal was considered its easiest difficulty) can destroy you by just looking at it wrong.

There's countless more I could mention...Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, and even House of the Dead 2 if you decide to actually challenge yourself and not spill in every single token you have into the arcade cabinet the moment you die.

Oh yeah, and you keep saying that Yahtzee played Halo 3 on easy, where does he mention this? I just watched it again and nowhere does he say this.

Dont assume that because YOU get overwelmed everyone else does

Metal Gear is hardly the first game I think of when I think of poorly scaling difficulty levels.

ever try play any of those on anything other than easy?

carefull your noob is showing

he mentions it(the skill level he plays on) in context in this(as I have fucking pointed out already) and quite a few other reviews so youre not alone because his noob is showing also. It is so fucking obvious he plays his games on easy it is beyond defending.

so lets field a ball anyways, did YOU try to take on a lot of tanks with a warthog on heroic or legendary?

I really agree with Yahtzee on this one. (I usually do. STOP CALLING ME FANBOY!)

Halo 3 was a huge hype, I had only played the first game and havnt played the second one at all. I acctually bought my 360 only because of the release of Halo 3 (And I really wanted an reason to buy a new console). But I was left quite dissapointed.

Halo 3 is "good". The storyline is fair enough, even for someone who was left with a gap between the first and third episode. But the game is just the same as the first one, same freaking weapons, same freaking enemies and same freaking voices in your head, except for that alien one who I found masochisticly creepy.

The one thing I loved about the game was the big fights, where you fought colossal enemies from both air and by foot, where you acctually had to do stuff to them instead of just shooting randomly. Sadly there were only one type of these (apart from the hunters but they go down with a 'nade) and it got quite easy after the first one. But I was impressed in that case.

I really enjoyed the game at the most at the highest difficulty when me and my brother tried to co-op through the game, lots of challenges and even tho we gave up at the seventh or eight mission it was still more amusing than finishing all of it on normal.

As far as I am concerned. Gears of War > Halo 3. And I'll stick to it until someone manages to change my mind :)

My two cents, peace

Also with the whole "game critic" thing, its like a movie critic who watches The Dark Knight and ignores Heath Ledgers performance because he likes car chases and thats what he was looking for in the movie. DUMB

And youre sitting here defending his non aiming ass

Brilliant. Everything said is true. Butt I still like Halo

"Halo 3 is "good". The storyline is fair enough, even for someone who was left with a gap between the first and third episode. But the game is just the same as the first one, same freaking weapons, same freaking enemies and same freaking voices in your head, except for that alien one who I found masochisticly creepy."

fair enough. even though they refined and added weapons and now deployable equipment so youre dead wrong there.and the also added a few enemies since the first one, so again dead wrong. voices would be voice also. so basically youre first sentance could be taken as "fair" and everything else thats after is just making shit up

"Brilliant. Everything said is true. Butt I still like Halo"
yeah, page 14 youre a little late to suck ass at this point

ever try play any of those on anything other than easy?

Yes, actually. Gradius V is absolutely terrifying on anything higher than Very Easy because the amount of bullets on the screen melts your face, as if the bullet patterns in Very Easy weren't complex enough (If you still don't believe me, I'll show you a few screenshots if you need me to.) I played Metal Gear Solid on the harder difficulties. Even though the AI is pretty much the same, your lower resilience to bullets makes everything a lot tougher. House of the Dead 2...I tried putting it to other difficulties but it didn't seem to have any impact on the gameplay.

Don't assume that just because I point out a few games that are still hard on their easy difficulties that I only play them on that setting.

You was attempting to take a tank out with a warthog? AND you had time to get out and switch?

lolol Yahtzee played on easy!

No, this isn't proof that he played it on easy. It was just a humorous demonstration showing how terrible the friendly AI is. And it really IS that bad. Sometimes when driving, the friendly AI will just stop and back up for absolutely no reason.

Dont give a shit about multiplayer and then reviews games whose greatest FEATURE is multiplayer

If Halo 3's greatest feature is multiplayer, then why was the advertising based entirely around the game's story?

"Halo 3 is "good". The storyline is fair enough, even for someone who was left with a gap between the first and third episode. But the game is just the same as the first one, same freaking weapons, same freaking enemies and same freaking voices in your head, except for that alien one who I found masochisticly creepy."

fair enough. even though they refined and added weapons and now deployable equipment so youre dead wrong there.and the also added a few enemies since the first one, so again dead wrong. voices would be voice also. so basically youre first sentance could be taken as "fair" and everything else thats after is just making shit up

Well, when someone launches a sequal (or how the hell you spell that) I expect it to live up to be a new game, this is more of an expansion, the new features are closer to the improvements Starcraft: Brood Wars did to the original game, a few new things and keeping up the story abit longer.

And sequal should be like the good old Age of Empire times. That's a sequal. With every game, there was huge improvements in gameplay, noticable graphic changes, and more content, NEW content.

And you, forum troll. As I said, this is WHAT I THINK, if you dont agree, take it somewhere else. I am just trying to contribute with my own point of view, while you are desperatly trying to defend a game. Try to listen to what I (We, Them, Him, Her, Whatever) write instead of trying to convert us to your belief, it wont work. Once again, my two cents.

Answer the fucking question your Noobness. Take on a lot of tanks on heroic or legendary with a fucking warthog?

"No, this isn't proof that he played it on easy. It was just a humorous demonstration showing how terrible the friendly AI is. And it really IS that bad. Sometimes when driving, the friendly AI will just stop and back up for absolutely no reason."

It is contextual proof as far as I am concerned because anyone worth there salt wouldnt be fighting a fucking tank with a fucking warthog. its PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED. No, it REALLY isnt. CoD franchise is far lamer with the fellow soldiers that stand around and wait for you to move 2 inches before they do anything. Its not like youre some giant cyborg for them to hide behind. Why would anyone want the computer driving anyways? so you can cruise around and let the computer do all the work? The marines driving was supposed to be filler for all the vehicals in the game. I doubt bungie actually expected anyone interrested in the game to try to make the computer do all the fun/hard stuff

"If Halo 3's greatest feature is multiplayer, then why was the advertising based entirely around the game's story?"

ever play a little game called halo2? you know the one that ends on a cliff hanger and pissed everyone off? They dont need to sell the multiplayer. it sells itself. nobody is out there playing for thousands of dollars on gradius

"Well, when someone launches a sequal (or how the hell you spell that) I expect it to live up to be a new game, this is more of an expansion, the new features are closer to the improvements Starcraft: Brood Wars did to the original game, a few new things and keeping up the story abit longer."

A a sequel is not a "new game". The improvements of halo 3 over the ones before are dramatic. anyone who says otherwise doesnt play it online. End of story there.

"And you, forum troll. As I said, this is WHAT I THINK, if you dont agree, take it somewhere else. I am just trying to contribute with my own point of view, while you are desperatly trying to defend a game. Try to listen to what I (We, Them, Him, Her, Whatever) write instead of trying to convert us to your belief, it wont work. Once again, my two cents"

I already addressed "trolling" and got banned for it. Halo defends itself with a larger population online than in your moms pants(just barely though) and tournment play that would make the hardest level of gradius look like a picnic. The only thing Im trying desperatly to do is point out that Putzhee is a non-aiming easy mode bitch like most of his nut huggers here and needs to stfu about shit that would get him wtfpwned in any local tourney in whatever backwater aussy dingo riddled village he calls home.

"It is contextual proof as far as I am concerned because anyone worth there salt wouldnt be fighting a fucking tank with a fucking warthog."

How would you know that he was in a situation like that? He was probably using stock pictures to get his point about the friendly AI across. On top of this, Yahtzee is more of a comedian than a game critic, so he probably exaggerated the situation a bit more on purpose.

"I doubt bungie actually expected anyone interested in the game to try to make the computer do all the fun/hard stuff"

If Bungie really thought about it that way then they never would've programmed it in to the game in the first place.

"How would you know that he was in a situation like that? He was probably using stock pictures to get his point about the friendly AI across. On top of this, Yahtzee is more of a comedian than a game critic, so he probably exaggerated the situation a bit more on purpose."

HE FUCKING SAID IT!!! What he was probably doing was talking shit. oh wait you agree?!?!?
"he probably exaggerated "

you mean lied?? You got me there, he could just be making shit up and not even playing the games. I wouldnt put it past him.

"If Bungie really thought about it that way then they never would've programmed it in to the game in the first place."

Thats just stupid. Youre stupid. Putzhees nut-riders can defend him with probablies and couldvs and all that bs but its just that, BS.

"HE FUCKING SAID IT!!!"

Well shit, just watched it again, my mistake.

But still, mounted machine guns on vehicles (especially ones the size of the one on the warthog, and not only that, is about 500 years more advanced than our technology.) should logically be powerful enough to do SOME damage on a tank. Plus, the weaponry on the covenant tank isn't exactly all that reliable since all it shoots is a huge mortar round, so unless you are VERY good at aiming or just really really lucky, you're going to miss the thing. Yes, there's a turret added to the Wraiths in Halo 3, but the projectiles are still very dodgeable.

"Thats just stupid. Youre stupid."

So you're just going to say this and not even explain why? Don't leave me hanging, man. ='C

bodiddly83:
"Well, when someone launches a sequal (or how the hell you spell that) I expect it to live up to be a new game, this is more of an expansion, the new features are closer to the improvements Starcraft: Brood Wars did to the original game, a few new things and keeping up the story abit longer."

A a sequel is not a "new game". The improvements of halo 3 over the ones before are dramatic. anyone who says otherwise doesnt play it online. End of story there.

"And you, forum troll. As I said, this is WHAT I THINK, if you dont agree, take it somewhere else. I am just trying to contribute with my own point of view, while you are desperatly trying to defend a game. Try to listen to what I (We, Them, Him, Her, Whatever) write instead of trying to convert us to your belief, it wont work. Once again, my two cents"

I already addressed "trolling" and got banned for it. Halo defends itself with a larger population online than in your moms pants(just barely though) and tournment play that would make the hardest level of gradius look like a picnic. The only thing Im trying desperatly to do is point out that Putzhee is a non-aiming easy mode bitch like most of his nut huggers here and needs to stfu about shit that would get him wtfpwned in any local tourney in whatever backwater aussy dingo riddled village he calls home.

And he has stated that he gives shit care about multiplayer, he only reviews singe player? Take a chill pill. And if you dispise him so much, why do you try to copy his type of speech into your writing with catchy reference (to my mom wich I must thank for). And an online experience is what the players make it, I've played Halo 3 Online and I clearly dont see what makes this into the holy graal of gaming.

Anyhow, I'm glad for you that you enjoy it, I prefer Bad Company since then I can blow up walls, and buildings (no one has a house in halo, poor bastards). I'll enjoy my cup of tea and you enjoy yours.

On a side not tho, a sequel (as it spelled) should still in in my opinion, carry more than a continued story. But fuck me who am I to tell the world. Night

"But still, mounted machine guns on vehicles (especially ones the size of the one on the warthog, and not only that, is about 500 years more advanced than our technology.) should logically be powerful enough to do SOME damage on a tank"

Well shit, if you think it should then you might as well act like it does.

"the weaponry on the covenant tank isn't exactly all that reliable since all it shoots is a huge mortar round"
Not on EASY MODE it isnt

"I prefer Bad Company since then I can blow up walls"
Sucks balls. slow and then when you go to aim time vertually stands still. game made for C.H.U.D s

"Yes, there's a turret added to the Wraiths in Halo 3, but the projectiles are still very dodgeable."

Try that shit on legendary or online. On easy mode i look like fucking Neo from the fucking matrix.

"On a side not tho, a sequel (as it spelled) should still in in my opinion, carry more than a continued story. "

EASY mode mfs
you mean like an entirely new combat mechanic? bubble shields, deployable cover, mines, flares , radar jammers, energy drains, health regeneraters, flame nades, spike nades, FUCKING LASER BEAMS AND FLAME THROWERS?!?!?! SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!?!?

only good: multiplayer

^ Agreed.

Blanket unsupported statement here

"Halo 3 was a huge hype"

This is what everyone seems to be attempting to sell as flaw. It was, omg, omg, omg, ADVERTISED(heaven forbid) Not only was it advertised it recieved a LOT of attention from its advertising.

I think thats a large part of the reason putzhee and his nut-riders dont like the game and probably the reason most never played any of them in the first place. Some kinda wannabee counter-coulture bullshit.

"Oh, people like that? Well then I most certainly am NOT going to like THAT!!"

i myselfe am a fan of the halo siries, but that was one of the best reviews ive heard, it was really out of my ability to stop laughing, even when everyone in the cofee shop did start looking at me like a freak in a circuse. but i have to disagree about people not giving a shit about the multiplayer, in fact, they give 50 dollars for it.the halo campaign mode has been degrading since the first one, but the multiplayer is what keeps the game going.

I find it a little troubling that he doesn't even mention the FORGE or Theater parts of the game; I mean, sure it doesn't redeem the short campaign but at least say that you have the opportunity to make a map for you and your friends (assuming you have friends) to play together on when you eventually tire of the maps provided and all of the new ones that come out about every 6months. Or to prove you did something once and for all with a screen shot from the theater section. Just a mention would have been nice.

bibblles:
I find it a little troubling that he doesn't even mention the FORGE or Theater parts of the game; I mean, sure it doesn't redeem the short campaign but at least say that you have the opportunity to make a map for you and your friends (assuming you have friends) to play together on when you eventually tire of the maps provided and all of the new ones that come out about every 6months. Or to prove you did something once and for all with a screen shot from the theater section. Just a mention would have been nice.

This thread should be long necroed. But since we're talking. . .

Agreed, they're really big deals. I think Yahtzee didn't have much time to put this review together (considering the general shortness and incompleteness), but still. And the multiplayer is something he should've at the very least tried.

I mean, who wouldn't like a game where stuff like http://www.gamevee.com/user/EldritchWarlord/videos that happens and the game keeps a record of it? Those are mine by the way.

And bodiddly makes all Halo fans look bad, good thing he's banned.

halo 3 sucks

awesome!!!!!;D

This was the very first Zero Punctuation video I ever saw, and it's still special to me. I initially like it because it bashed Halo 3, which I thought it deserved at the time. But afterward, I began watching Yahtzee's other videos, and they've helped me to be a more open-minded person.

Figured I might as well post.
Played Halo 1 & 2. Thought both were fun but now I'm really leaning on renting this rather than owning it. Yeah, it's almost or it's been over a year since its release but I don't care.
Really wondering if Yahtzee will occasionally do a retro style episode. I'd love to hear/see a review for Dead Rising. The game is barely playable to its full potential while Frank is a very low level but is a practical cakewalk once you, the player, hit Max level.

Drag00n, I recommend renting, especially if you've played 1 and 2. It's just as good/average/bad as the other two and there really is no difference between them other than a new story and one new weapon...oh I think there are more, but all I need/want was the gravity axe (which looks like a spear?).

Simple statements:

Just because you don't like and/or understand a story does not make it bad.

There are certain, very simple elements that can make a story bad. Like dialogue that could have been written by a drunk George Lucas and characters that make the full cast of Cube look like Oscar winners. Helloooooooooo Gears of War! Conceptually nothing really wrong with an invasion-style plotline but just plain awful characters and dialogue that can only appeal to the drunk or juvenile (Xbox's core demographic).

The problem is that the pretentious crowd decides to dislike what is popular simply for its own sake. There is really nothing bad about the Halo series at all; in fact there are many many things that are quite good. As depressed as I am that Microsoft is who benefits from the success and popularity of the series, that doesn't change the fact that it remains a solid, fun gaming experience.

Hahah. I'm a huge fan of the series, and I completely agree with this review.

Not to mention a few things that he missed because he's not familiar with the series.

As a whole, the game a was a big letdown. Having bought the Legendary Edition, I was disappointed with the scope of the Campaign, which should normally be the primary focus on games, IMO. Pretty graphics don't keep a game fun after the 10th run through. Like the first Halo, CE, does, with superior gameplay that changes every time.

Bittman:
Figures. Might as well rent this when I get my full-on XBOX Live Gold account instead of being Silver. Of course going to be playing the Single Player first then Multi.
Here're the six 360 games I own: BioShock; Call of Duty 2 (going to play the CoD series in succesive order); Dead Rising; The Orange Box; Stranglehold (Hard-Boiled II); TimeShift. I own alot more XBOX (BC) games though. Next game I'm considering purchasing is Grand Theft Auto IV. I already rented it and got around to 26+% completion on it. Found it fun.
My username is the same as my XBOX id thing.

i like halo's story line and i think it is an okay game(s)

but way to fucking overrated

Eldritch Warlord:

And bodiddly makes all Halo fans look bad, good thing he's banned.

bo is teh l337 hax your mom should be banned

the only reason people buy this game is to enjoy the fast round based play of a shooter such as counterstrike when playing online. either that or so they can gloat about their owning of the entire halo series / or so they can gloat about how them and their gamer girlfriend got time off school to finish it together.
this game was effectively an expansion pack and should have been treated in that way. halo was an enjoyable game and this is yet another example of more of the same with better and bettr graphics.

lukemdizzle:
SNIP*

Well said. There are a few other reasons why I like halo too, but Im not going to mention them all now.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here