Review: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Pages PREV 1 2

Really? Because the PvP in Wintergrasp is pretty fun. At least on beta, was sort of like the old TM/SS days, in that you went there just for the sake of PvP even when it wasn't up for grabs.

Have to admit great review. Not that I'm ever going to even turn WoW on again, it's nice to see blizzard actually putting new things into the game rather than just the same grind crap. Either way great job :)

CantFaketheFunk:
Really? Because the PvP in Wintergrasp is pretty fun. At least on beta, was sort of like the old TM/SS days, in that you went there just for the sake of PvP even when it wasn't up for grabs.

Thanks for the reply. I do miss the old TM/SS days cannot deny that. We'll see. I've had a problem with the way Blizzard has itemized things for either pvp or pve. PvP seemed much more fun when the only places you could get excpeitonal gear was MC. It was hard to get. So hard for my server that only one guild per faction could clear MC for a long long time. This meant the majority of players were on the same playing field. As WoW developped the pvp side of the game, it really changed the community from people going out to pvp at TM/SS for the fun of it and the server cred, to grinding BGs like AV and AB for Rep, and honor points for gear.

It seems each person now is in a never ending arms race...I suppose that's what blizzard intended.

/rant

i wish the expansions never happened...

Now, it's an expansion pack... of course things get improved

The point is, this game is 4 year old. How much improvement does blizzard need to implement for it to worth the $40 price tag (not to mention this price does not include one month worth of subscription).

Imo Blizzard is not doing nearly enough

Much of the content that are in the expansion packs, were supposed to be included in the original package, for example, the hero class, i.e. Death Knight, etc.
And Over the years, Blizzard actually strip the game off some original contents (that actually made into the formal releases) and make them available later as 'new content'. To me this is almost cheating and hence unacceptable.

The graphic engine is obsolete. I feel it that way 4 years ago, and I feel it ever more so now.
I just finished fallout3.. and then came back to try out LK. I almost couldn't continue to play it because the crudeness of the look. Yeah I know, the style is different, blah blah blah. But to me, the difference is really unacceptable, at least for a $10 difference.

Then, they're making the game 'more accessible', in two ways.
Firstly they further simplified the game mechanisms, taking away the last bit of challenging elements of the game. (if you've been playing BC and find some of its content 'challenging', then the original release of wow will be IMPOSSIBLE for you to play)
And they further expand the 'grinding' mechanisms (I'm talking about the macro meaning of 'grinding', i.e. the more time you WASTE, the better off you're in the game).

It's a shame that warhammer online had a premature release and went under-budget so it failed to challenge the mmorpg throne of wow. So for now, all I can do in protesting is refusing to buy a copy of WOTLK and only borrow my friends' accounts for some true 'casual play'.

CantFaketheFunk:

Good reviewage and I agree with pretty much everything you said. This whole expansion feels classic while adding new elements to the game.

Visually, WoW will always walk all over most other games for me for one reason: Animations. Never before or since have I seen such amazing realism in movement from such a vast array of creatures. In a free roam game when the hundreds of creatures you stumble across all move very realistically, it takes the edge off for the poor graphics. At least for me.

Who's seen the killer whales in Borean Tundra? Don't they look amazing?

Nice review you got here though there are some parts I dont agree - Wrath of the Lich King is definitely one of the most grind intensive MMOs out in the market. I came across to www.wrathking.com and read nice review and updates of WoW's new expansion.

ChrisP.Lettuce:

CantFaketheFunk:

Good reviewage and I agree with pretty much everything you said. This whole expansion feels classic while adding new elements to the game.

Visually, WoW will always walk all over most other games for me for one reason: Animations. Never before or since have I seen such amazing realism in movement from such a vast array of creatures. In a free roam game when the hundreds of creatures you stumble across all move very realistically, it takes the edge off for the poor graphics. At least for me.

Who's seen the killer whales in Borean Tundra? Don't they look amazing?

Yup, they do look pretty awesome, I also like that wolves will attack the Shovelhorns for food, and the bull shovelhorns will have headbutting contests with each other, sure, it's all very superficial when you look too closely at it, but it's the small things that make a lot of difference.

As for the grind, to an extent, yes, it's still there, however, they've done a very good job in order to mix things up. And while there are plenty of fetch n' kill n' collect quests, there's also plenty of really interesting or just plain fun one's too, like helping a Reef Cow find a mate, becoming a gunner on an undead pirate ship, or fighting off a horde of gargoyles in a gyrocopter.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here