Zero Punctuation: Remember Me

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

thaluikhain:
This little red riding hood has a bucket full of kickass?

Yeah, that's impressively bad, even for a...

Nah, now I'm imagining Duke Nukem saying it in a really awful FPS and now it's funny, in a laughing at, not laughing with way.

To be fair it's a part of a larger ongoing scene where Nilin is being hunted by a guy in a chopper. He has some truly, TRULY, awful one liners, most of them referring to her as "Little Red Riding Hood" so that quote isn't nearly as bad in comparison!

OT: I'm honestly surprised that Yahtzee was so kind to Remember Me. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I admit there's flaws and more than enough content to make fun of.

Haven't been following ZP as much lately, but this one was really funny, I was giggling throughout. Good work, Mr Croshaw!

Proverbial Jon:

thaluikhain:

Nah, now I'm imagining Duke Nukem saying it in a really awful FPS and now it's funny, in a laughing at, not laughing with way.

To be fair it's a part of a larger ongoing scene where Nilin is being hunted by a guy in a chopper. He has some truly, TRULY, awful one liners, most of them referring to her as "Little Red Riding Hood" so that quote isn't nearly as bad in comparison!

Ah, well, that would make much more sense then.

I assumed that Edge was a nod to the demise of Tim Langdell's aggressive enforcement of the Edge Games trademark much in the same way that gratuitous sex and nudity in Spanish films is a nod to the end of General Franco's censorship-heavy regime: it's a statement of Yay! Free expression once again prevails!

I expect a similar thing to happen once we get from under the thumb of the ESRB's fear of disturbing players with graphic nudity, or realistic (unglorified) violence.

238U

Proverbial Jon:

thaluikhain:

OT: I'm honestly surprised that Yahtzee was so kind to Remember Me. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I admit there's flaws and more than enough content to make fun of.

I felt kind of sad for that guy by the end of the game though. He's not all there after the first time Nilin goes rummaging around in his brain, even worse after the second round, and then the third one with the leapers and Nilin digging in there too.

He starts out something of a confident military type with some bad one-liners. The next time you see him somewhere about all that's left is that you are a bad, dangerous person (as he alerts other soldiers while fleeing). By the end of the game he's cowering in a corner while bits and pieces of his memory flash on distorted screens around him.

On something that has the potential to be more spoilery, I'll just say that some of the things the leapers say that just sounds batshit crazy makes much more sense in context and knowing what is going on.

required reading

FilmCriticHulk:
... I.E. "IT'S A PLOT!" BY "PEOPLE WHO PLOT THINGS!" AND IF YOU ACCEPT THAT MEANING THAN IT SEEMS NO ACCIDENT THAT SO MANY MODERN BLOCKBUSTER PLOTS SEEM TO BE "PLOTS!" MEANING THEY ARE ALL BUILT FROM PREMEDITATED, COLD ACTIONS, WHICH THEN UNFOLD IN A SERIES OF INTERLOCKING FATALISTIC EVENTS. MEANING A PLOT IS SO OBVIOUSLY CONSTRUCTED THAT IT'S RENDERED INTO SOMETHING MECHANICAL.

AND WHEN ONE THINKS ABOUT "STORY," WELL, ONE THINKS OF SOMETHING INNATELY MORE HUMAN. WE THINK OF EVENTS THAT MERELY UNFOLD AS NATURAL REACTIONS TO THE PROTAGONISTS EMOTIONS AND WANTS AND THE WAY THOSE PLAY OFF THE EMOTIONS OF OTHER CHARACTERS. AND THE GRADUAL BUILDING OF THESE EMOTIONS LEAD US TO AN EVOLUTION OF STAKES AND PERSONAL IMPORT. THE BEST STORIES DON'T EVEN MAKE US THINK ABOUT PLOT, THEY JUST SEEM TO EXIST. AND IT IS THIS INVISIBLE MODE OF STORYTELLING WITHOUT ALL THE CLAWING-AT-YOU TWISTS AND TURNS THAT ALLOWS US TO ORGANICALLY FALL RIGHT INTO THE STORY ITSELF. WE DON'T JUST WATCH THE FILM, WE MANAGE TO LIVE IN THE WORLD OF THOSE CHARACTERS. WE EMPATHIZE WITH THEM. WE BELIEVE THE GRAND AND BEST POSSIBLE LIE OF MOVIES: WE BELIEVE WE'RE IN IT.

...snip...

TRUTH IS THAT THE REAL VICTIM OF THIS CONVOLUTED PLOTTING IS TRADITIONAL DRAMA. BY OBFUSCATING CLARITY IN THE NAME OF A GRANDIOSE PUZZLE, WE CAN'T HELP BUT GET IN THE WAY OF THE OPTIMAL EMOTIONAL RESONANCE IN OUR STORIES. WE MAKE THEM FEEL LIKE CONSTRUCTIONS. WE SHOW ALL THE STRINGS. AND IT'S GOTTEN TO SUCH AN OBLIVIOUS STATE THAT THIS IS BAD THAT WE NOT ONLY SHOW THESE STRINGS, BUT THEN TURN TO THE AUDIENCE AND SAY "Hey! Look at all those strings I tied! Don't they look complicated!?!?! I did that!"

SIGH.

edit:

Hopefully games like blood-dragon and this become evidence that even "meh" games that at least try something novel can break the ludicrous exponential correlation between metacritic scores and sales.

What? Realistic duck chasing physics are what I have been waiting for, and now we finally have the next generation of consoles that can handle that kind of added atmosphere.

I'm definitely looking forward to a more fleshed out sequel to this game. Almost every good IP starts off on shakey legs.

I liked the game as it is, but it could've been more, and maybe a bit more polished, yes. Still, the visuals, especially the city itself were fairly breath taking, IMO. The rich lore was pretty nice, too.
The character designs were pretty unique, too, IMO.

I was a little scared of Yahtzee reviewing it, but I'm glad he saw the good in it, too. :3

Game's by no means perfect, but it was pretty refreshing, I'd say.

It does have somethging of a Game + mode (always a bonus with me), and lets you revisit beaten episodes on top of that.

Grave of the Fireflies was an awesome movie.A bit preachy, but awesome none the less.

thaluikhain:

I think Duke Nukem's voice can make anything funny. Example:

But seriously, that's an awful line. It's a shame about the game, though. It makes me sad when someone tries to make something a little more ambitious and doesn't succeed. I felt the same way when people reacted negatively to L.A. Noire, even though I personally enjoyed the hell out of that particular game.
Still, applause for trying to do something different.

I hope in the future toast lands on it's side. That way neither side gets dirty

I'm hungry for big pretzels now. Thanks for that, Yahtzee! And for ragging on this should-have-been-innovative game. And the bit at the beginning, ripping on other critics' reviews using the obvious pun, then praising the dog from the next CoD? Are you biting the hand that feeds you?

captcha: Great for Windows 7
...that it's not Windows 8! Hey-yo!

Strain42:
One of the very rare cases where Yahtzee reviews a game that I'm on the fence about buying (usually it's either one I know I'm gonna get or already know I have no interest in) so this was a pleasant surprise for me. I'm glad to hear it was actually not all that bad, but I'm still not going to shell out sixty bucks for it.

if you want, there are a few LP's on youtube for the game, while its still not a buy for me the story was pretty good.

just the combat, oh dear, the combat.......

This game does remind me somewhat of Beyond Good and Evil. As such, I'm probably going to give it a try at some point.

One of the best ZP episodes in a long while Yahtzee, bravo.

And, as for the game itself, pretty much what I figured. Not good enough for a full price purchase, will probably be enjoyable enough to justify picking it up in a sale though.

So, does anyone know what that twist is?

Is the twist she is fem Jason Bourne? That's good if true, because Matt Damon is bland, women are not.

This is a twisted review, Yahtzee. I'll remember it.

Strain42:
One of the very rare cases where Yahtzee reviews a game that I'm on the fence about buying (usually it's either one I know I'm gonna get or already know I have no interest in) so this was a pleasant surprise for me. I'm glad to hear it was actually not all that bad, but I'm still not going to shell out sixty bucks for it.

This. I feel more justified about my 'looks cool but maybe I should wait until it's cheaper' stance on it now.

Dfskelleton:

thaluikhain:

I think Duke Nukem's voice can make anything funny. Example:

I LOL'D at that when I first say Jon St. John doing that.

OT: Never really played it, sounds like a twisted game...

Anyone else get Lucozade ads before ZP? And then see "Lucozade" around 3:40? I smell product placement.

I had high hopes for this game, I really did. I bought the game, I played it for a while and kept thinking "This combat flows like a river of bricks".

The concept was brilliant, being able to mod your combos, because you DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE THEM!!! You add what buffs you want to use (health, damage, cooldown, etc) and if you manage to get the timing down, BY WATCHING THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN TO MAKE SURE YOUR TIMING IS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING COMBAT, you get the effects...

I could barely be bothered finishing as much as I did (past the first boss) before thinking, 'Fuck it, this combat is too awkward'.

Others might enjoy it, but I am not one of them.

canadamus_prime:
The incredible talking ass. I'm definitely going to remember that.

you know, it was a good idea and i really won't forget it but at the same time the early game was... well arguably bland and poor

the late game was really quite good imo, apart from the overly scripted sequences and the puzzles a two year old could solve

a better stealth system and a hacking minigame would have padded it out better

and i did exactly wahat yatzee said, my quick attacks were heals, my medium attacks were damage and the long ones were power resets

because, honestly why would you do anything else?

I love a beautiful bum as much as the next guy but I'm embarrassed that the marketing world thinks us guys that transparent that they keep doing crap like this. Example when it is the other way around:

Silly, no?

Legion:
From what I have heard, the combo creator makes it ridiculously easy due to some of the available moves.

For the first 20% of the game, yes. Once the faster and more complicated enemies come into play though, you're pretty much required to abuse the hell out of the combo creator system (and you'll die a lot even then).

i actually enjoy the game. sure it has some flaws and the controls are a bit clunky, but over all a good game with an interesting story.
and yes, remixing memories was really a good idea that should be possible with more characters instead 4 in the entire game.

I really do hate plot "twists." Not just the ones that you see coming, but really most plot twists in general. They tend to be made by lazy writers who think: "Oh, look! I can fool the audience, I am so smart!" Kinda like those horrible "Oceans's Eleven" remakes.

One of the few people who could use twists was Alfred Hitchcock. Not because of the twist itself, but because he would literally tell you what was going to happen, and then you would still be surprised when it happened. But games writers tend to be a few steps below that of Hitchcock -to put in kindly- and think that twists equal great storytelling or something.

Basically, it is a mistake for a writer to try to put the audience in a state of awe. Just tell your damn story and develop your characters, that is all you really need.

VoidWanderer:
I had high hopes for this game, I really did. I bought the game, I played it for a while and kept thinking "This combat flows like a river of bricks".

The concept was brilliant, being able to mod your combos, because you DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE THEM!!! You add what buffs you want to use (health, damage, cooldown, etc) and if you manage to get the timing down, BY WATCHING THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN TO MAKE SURE YOUR TIMING IS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING COMBAT, you get the effects...

I could barely be bothered finishing as much as I did (past the first boss) before thinking, 'Fuck it, this combat is too awkward'.

Others might enjoy it, but I am not one of them.

I'm confused what you mean by you don't actually make the combos. You have a set of moves (a series of punches and kicks for each type of on-hit effect) and you pick which ones you want to chain together. No two -cooldown punch pressens are identical, for example. My 6-hit actually used spinning bird kick and dragon punch from the DLC in succession. They are both a bit slower than some of the other attacks available, but have a wider hit area (spinning bird kick hitting in a 360 which is why I put it where I did, as other enemies are usually closing in by the third hit of a combo and it saved me a dodge more than once).

I'd give it awkward, but you seriously don't have to look at the icons at the bottom to do combos correctly -- it's not like the timing changes each time you do it or something, instead each move has it's own timing and once you get that the icons are irrelevant. It's one of the reasons I heavily leaned on a single combo swapping out the first attack with everything else in it being chain pressens -- it makes the timing mostly consistent, and also maximizes raw output of that one thing it does.

5ilver:
For the first 20% of the game, yes. Once the faster and more complicated enemies come into play though, you're pretty much required to abuse the hell out of the combo creator system (and you'll die a lot even then).

There were fights where I'd switch my combos around multiple times mid fight (the 6-hit was my mainstay and all but the first attack in it was a chain-pressen so swapping my combo around from "NEED HEAL NOW!" to "COOLDOWN BAD!" was just a matter of swapping out the kick at the start). Thing did enough damage with a power pressen that most of the normal enemies died before the combo was over.

Those bastards with the damage shields though, are such bullshit. Especially since the damage shield hurts you even at range, and hits harder if you use the high damage shot that burns the entire bar.

Not sure if I want to play Remember Me, but I am hungry for a soft pretzel for some reason.

And on the subject of "joking around with the title" ...

Wow, this time Yahtzee seemed like a reviewer instead of critic, and it was better that way.

I'd speculate that the Red Riding Hood quote came from a low-level developer assistant, raised on 80s action movie one-liners, who had been waiting his entire life to get into a position where he could belt out a cheesy comeback.
Then, he had this Ocean's 11-type mission where he smuggled it into the game's code.
So, it's actually a lot sadder:
That quote represents aprox. 6 years of planning and ass-kissing.

Like Babylon AD, another French written near future sci-fi, Remember me seems to have had it's budget cut, or at least bitten off far more than it could chew. The characters which had potential were completely un-fleshed out, and I didn't give a toss when one or the other bit the dust.

The menu music (ergo the theme) is this melodic almost tragic piece, but

. It felt like a waste. The combat I enjoyed, though it is clearly stolen from Arkham, and I daresay Arkham's still better at it. Make your own combo is a cool feature except that half the moves look like complete stand-alones like jumpkicks or superman punches. The puzzles and jumping got old fast, along with the collectibles. "Find this item -- oh wait you walked too far, can't go back now". And unskippable cutscenes. That alone reduces the replay value by 75% right there.

All in all nice music, especially the dynamic dub-esque fight music, interesting set, but overly ambitious.

Voren:
The voice acting for Nilin is barely ok and her accent is more distracting than anything considering no one else seems to have one at all. I take it she's the only European in France, since everyone else sounds American.

I guess it makes a change from that other cliche when the only person with the native accent in an American film/game set in not-America is the villain. (Disney, I'm looking at you.)

Although my gripe at the fact that the Empire in Star Wars appear to all be English (presumably for sulky historical reasons) has been soothed a little by the fact pretty much everyone appears to be British in Game of Thrones (presumably to sound "exotic").

I remember Yahtzee's review of Dark Void, where he said he prefers ambitious failures over yet more box-ticking, committee-designed sludge. And if there's one thing in which Remember Me is definitely not lacking, it's ambition.

Apparently, this game hasn't sold well at all, which is a shame because I'd like to see it do well just for the originality of the concept. A sequel on eighth-gen hardware could fix the flaws and polish the good parts to a gleaming shine.

Title still reminds me of that episode of Futurama where Bender erects an Egyptian monument to himself.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here