The Big Picture: Jawsome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

CrazyGirl17:
Oh wow, I remember Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs... albeit barely, since I haven't seen either since I was younger...

Still, maybe they could go a reboot? ...Maybe.

Oh man, I could definitely go for a Street Sharks reboot that fixes the problems the original show had. (And it had a lot by today's standards) Throw in Lee Tockar reprising Ripster and make it a tiny bit more adult. (I mean the original show even had the occasional exposure of blood. Not much but enough to get kids in the 90s going "WHOAH! Did they just show blood?!") Extreme Dinosaurs, I can do w/o. For a spin-off of Street Sharks, it was actually worse. (For some reason, they decided to rewrite the raptors of being even more incompetent villains than in the Dino Vengers days. Seriously, it was like watching a trio of Bebop & Rocksteady level of incompetence every episode)

Great shows. And I would consider Darkstalkers among the list of 90's cash in toys. There were action figures associated with that, and it was all based off the game.

What? I knew there were Darkstalkers toys but you're telling me there were ones based off of the DiC cartoon?! ::headdesks::

Strangely enough I recognise the Street Sharks. Even I had a toy of them back in the day. Can't remember much else about the show, so Bob pointing out that it's not sure if the toys came out first or the cartoon, is a very astute observation. Too bad it did not garner more attention back then, but... again the Power Rangers were crushing *all* of the competition.

Anyhow, I noticed that the IMDB database listed 2 episodes where Henry Winkler voiced a character called Meathook. Oh and Clammando was voiced by almost cult actor Clancy Brown. And of course, a cartoon where Adam West hasn't at least participated in for 2 episodes, isn't a cartoon worth mentioning at all.

Bob! How could you make a reference to a 90's dinosuar themed show without mentioning this!!!

Oh Lord, Street Sharks. There was a lot of crap like that in the mid 90's. I remember having the guy with rollerblades and extend-claws, but I forgot his name up until today. Our kids will one day find out about this stuff and ask us, "What the tits were you guys thinking?" And we will shrug and throw up our arms and tell them "Fuck if we know!" Also, Bob, if you think there were no more truly memorable cartoons with toylines from that era, I've got 2 words for you: BEAST. WARS.

Jacco:
Wicked. Now do an episode on Captain Planet!

Oh boy, I hope he goes all-out Yahtzee on that!

I always knew there had to be some relationship between Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs. Ah, Extreme Dinosaurs was what got me out of bed most mornings when I was little. I still have a bunch of the toys. And I had a backpack with them on.

For me it was always Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys. I was a huge space nerd and it was one of my first experiences with SF.

Yeah, I remember the Street Sharks, but I don't think I ever watched it. So yeah basically what you're saying is that they were a team of Michelangelos.

Jman1236:

Trishbot:
Oh, the 90s. SOOO many "mutant/superhero/monster" hero shows.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creeper Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Can anybody think of any others?

T-rex
Mighty Ducks(no that did happen)

Damn you, I repressed that!!!!

Now I have it stuck in my head. Thanks.

Actually, for being a Thundercats rip, Mighty Ducks wasn't THAT bad.

Wow. Those guys really cause a lot of property damage tearing through the street like that. And they're the good guys?

A whole team of poochey's? The horror...

It was probably too late to make an episode on, but what I really want to hear Bob's thoughts on are:

spunkgarglewiwi:
Strangely enough I recognise the Street Sharks. Even I had a toy of them back in the day. Can't remember much else about the show, so Bob pointing out that it's not sure if the toys came out first or the cartoon, is a very astute observation. Too bad it did not garner more attention back then, but... again the Power Rangers were crushing *all* of the competition.

Anyhow, I noticed that the IMDB database listed 2 episodes where Henry Winkler voiced a character called Meathook. Oh and Clammando was voiced by almost cult actor Clancy Brown. And of course, a cartoon where Adam West hasn't at least participated in for 2 episodes, isn't a cartoon worth mentioning at all.

Uh you sure someone on IMDB didn't splice some Simpsons info in there because there was that biker episode w/ Henry Winkler and a guy named Meathook. (Though the former played a character named Ramrod while the latter was voiced by John Goodman)

Also Clancy Brown? Strange, most of the VAs who did work for Street Sharks, as far as I can remember were Ocean Group people. (Ian Corlett played Louie the Shrimp who was basically the show's answer to AoStH version Coconuts and as I've mentioned before Lee Tockar was Ripster and Matt Hill was Jab)

Then again, if MLP:FiM can mix Tara Strong w/ a bunch of Ocean Group VAs then shouldn't surprise me that a TMNT clone from the 90s could do the same w/ Clancy Brown.

For some reason, hearing about the Street Sharks has made me feel strangely empty. Like, "what is the point of the human race even existing when so much of our capital and effort gets squandered on making crap like this?"

Maybe THAT'S the Big Picture.

Rolling the dice...

next up: Defenders of Dynatron City!

No really, do it Bob.

DVS BSTrD:
A little early for Shark Week Bob :P

Bob is a maverick.

So when the Street Sharks were over, did they jump themselves?

I actually watched the first few episodes of this with some friends awhile back. Good times. It's just so nonsensically awesome, especially if you spend your time trying to gauge the mental degradation of the protagonists. I mean there is literally maybe (MAYBE!) 10 seconds between realizing they are now mutated shark men monstrosities that will never again be able to be a part of society and them starting to use shark puns non-stop.

My god, I've been horribly disfigured and now must dwell in the sewers and subsist off concrete while living out an utterly meaningless existence with almost no hop- SHARK ATTACK, JAWESOME!!!!!!

Also the obvious villain after he gets gene-spliced goes around in some sort of diver suit everywhere, but he's still interacting with the public on a massive scale, even giving press conferences. How does he hide his evil mechanized villain super diver suit? Giant. Purple. Cloak. What says, "nothing evil of suspicious going on over here," like a giant purple cloak and an eye patch?

Is this not the picture of a benevolent scientist with only the best of intentions for the world?

Yeah, there's no way that guy's evil.

shadowstriker86:
Bob! How could you make a reference to a 90's dinosuar themed show without mentioning this!!!

Uh, you can't ask for a reference to a 90's dinosuar themed show to include a reference to EVERY 90's dinosuar themed show. I mean you'd end up with shows like Project GKR in the mix and who has time to deal with that.

Furbyz:
I actually watched the first few episodes of this with some friends awhile back. Good times. It's just so nonsensically awesome, especially if you spend your time trying to gauge the mental degradation of the protagonists. I mean there is literally maybe (MAYBE!) 10 seconds between realizing they are now mutated shark men monstrosities that will never again be able to be a part of society and them starting to use shark puns non-stop.

My god, I've been horribly disfigured and now must dwell in the sewers and subsist off concrete while living out an utterly meaningless existence with almost no hop- SHARK ATTACK, JAWESOME!!!!!!

Also the obvious villain after he gets gene-spliced goes around in some sort of diver suit everywhere, but he's still interacting with the public on a massive scale, even giving press conferences. How does he hide his evil mechanized villain super diver suit? Giant. Purple. Cloak. What says, "nothing evil of suspicious going on over here," like a giant purple cloak and an eye patch?

Is this not the picture of a benevolent scientist with only the best of intentions for the world?

Yeah, there's no way that guy's evil.

Rule 1 about Fission City: apparently all that smog gave the people who live there brain damage because Paradigm tells them it's a "life-support suit" at one point and yet they still believe him despite the obvious spear gun and hook.

And that's not even the dumbest of those Dr. Paradigm and the townspeople moment w/ that in the show. There's an episode where he publicly announces that he's created "wolverine-ipedes" (you heard what I said) and no one questions him.

"Oh these shark men are abominations against nature but I'll gladly create hybrid wolverine centipede monsters because that isn't unethical."
"Three cheers for Dr. Paradigm!"

Still not as dumb as the Raptors from Extreme Dinosaurs though. They're basically what happens if you make Bebop and Rocksteady the main villains of the turtles instead of just the idiot cannon fodder goons that mess up the real masterminds' plans. And they're supposed to be the main threat in that show too.

Also speaking of pointing out stupidity in Street Sharks, here's an article on the first episode by a site called Rubber Chicken:

http://www.thatchickensite.com/the-ever-jawsome-ever-forgettable-street-sharks/

http://www.thatchickensite.com/the-ever-jawsome-ever-forgettable-street-sharks-part-2/

Is it just me or do these guys use some of the same screens Bob normally uses for his running gag w/ the sharks?

So when the Street Sharks were over, did they jump themselves?

No that's what the Extreme Dinosaurs did: jump over the very characters they spun-off from.

Leemaster777:
and another one featuring monkey-men (like Planet of the Apes in space).

Don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but I believe the show you're thinking of is 'Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys". Damn that was a fun show!

Therumancer:
I'm surprised nobody mentions Skeleton Warriors

Grimskull! The man of the shadows!

I had Streek's action figure as a kid :D
Maybe still lying around somewhere. It was really well made and I enjoyed it. I only learned that there was a tv series to it from you Bob :p

This ends up on DVD but they couldn't finish Gargoyles? No fricking justice.

Leemaster777:
Biker Mice from Mars

A3sir:
So now Biker Mice from Mars?

Trishbot:
Biker Mice from Mars

fi6eka:
Still no Biker mice from Mars episode.I am dissapoint.

MetalMagpie:
Biker Mice from Mars is a series I similarly can remember very little about, but the title gives me a warm nostalgia glow which indicates I probably at least enjoyed it at the time!

hino77:
Biker Mice from mars

Sir Shockwave:
Biker Mice from Mars.

Tombfyre:
Biker Mice from Mars was way more interesting, as I remember. Still, definitely part of the early 90's generation of shows that were decent to some degree, but not entirely memorable.

I understand that bob was too old to have had interest in the show but people are going wild over it, tearing off and setting fire to their clothes. Hopefully we'll see an episode on it before they start cutting themselves and bring forth a bro-vival.

Heh. I think I had some Street Sharks toys, and one Mighty Ducks one as well. Theyre possibly even still in my possession in a box at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

I remember so many of those weird 90s shows...
Two that I havent seen mentioned yet are Avenger Penguins, which followed the trend but with a bit of a british Mighty Mouse kind of vibe, and apparently the Battletoads game had a TV show but only made it as far as a pilot episode.

Therumancer:
I'm surprised nobody mentions Skeleton Warriors, and that Inhumanoids doesn't make it into more 80s nostalgia mentions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhumanoids

As far as the Inhumanoids: we're still trying to forget the trauma associated with this show; not because it was bad, but because it was horrifying *awesome*:

Observe:

Having seen the entire Street sharks series and the entire Extreme Dinosaurs I can confirm Dino Vengers >>> Extreme Dinosaurs.

saintdane05:
God... Bob... that was boring. No offense to you, but that was just duuuullllllll. And I blame the subject, not the writer. It is just not an interesting subject. Like you said, obscure to cause confusion, but recognizable enough to get a good laugh.

Also:

What the heck did I just watch?

On topic though, I'm glad there was an episode of this, I remember the Street Sharks though admittedly it was more of a "Oh yeah, that was a thing that existed," feeling rather than any true nostalgia.

Please, Bob, don't do any more episodes about these "extreme" shows. It's just painful to watch.

somonels:
I understand that bob was too old to have had interest in the show but people are going wild over it, tearing off and setting fire to their clothes. Hopefully we'll see an episode on it before they start cutting themselves and bring forth a bro-vival.

You misinterpret my post, that was not a request. Please read my post in full before quoting it again.

cud u make a video on the dino guys?

I had never seen Street Sharks at all.

I had seen plenty of other cartoons though.

Two in particular that I haven't seen mentioned are actually quite a bit better than your average extended toy commercial.

Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors

The Pirates of Dark Water

I don't think either ever got finished. I would LOVE for a reboot like the New Masters of the Universe cartoons from a few years ago.

Also, Gargoyles. Goliath's voice was so cool.

I barely remember Mighty Max, the show, but I do remember I had a lot of the toys including a large volcano.

AgentLampshade:
I sat giggling the whole time. I used to watch this as a kid and had no idea there was an overarching storyline. Same with the Extreme Dinosaurs.

To continue the trend of half animal/half man posts. I'll just post a certain theme song.

Let's rock...and ride!!!

For what it's worth, I remember Biker Mice from Mars with greater fondness because the animation was better (if only just) and the three Mice were distinct both visually and emotionally. My favorite was Modo, the grey one with the cyborg arm: he was nice mix of the southern gentleman and gentle giant but once he gets moving, holy shit find yourself a tank to hide in.

I remember watching both street sharks and xtreme dinosaurs when I was a kid but the cartoon show I really remember during the 90s was Bucky O'Hare. At the time TMNT was going downhill and had become really hard to follow since reruns were few and far between on Saturday morning but I remember always watching that show even though it was a bit corny

Gordon_4:
For what it's worth, I remember Biker Mice from Mars with greater fondness because the animation was better (if only just) and the three Mice were distinct both visually and emotionally. My favorite was Modo, the grey one with the cyborg arm: he was nice mix of the southern gentleman and gentle giant but once he gets moving, holy shit find yourself a tank to hide in.

My mama didn't raise no stinkin' rat!

My favourite was Vinnie, the badass ladies man with the red bike and comic relief character. Some of the villains were pretty cool too. I think there was a guy called Hard Rock who used his guitar to send shockwaves or something.

Never saw Street Sharks, but that Extreme Dinosaurs clip hit me right in the nostalgia gland.
I watched it a lot as a kid, and the characters were a lot more diverse and memorable than the street sharks.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here