No Right Answer: 90's Cartoon Most Deserving a Reboot

Pages PREV 1 2 3

DVS BSTrD:
I wanna gif of Chris talking about that mayor cat so bad.
Also as much I love Gargoyles (they aren't actually gargoyles btw) if the Adult Swim's line-up proves anything, it's that the show most deserving of a reboot is the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.

Best opening right here.

OT: Both were good shows, the 90's were campy as fuck but my god, did they know how to work it!

DVS BSTrD:
I wanna gif of Chris talking about that mayor cat so bad.
Also as much I love Gargoyles (they aren't actually gargoyles btw) if the Adult Swim's line-up proves anything, it's that the show most deserving of a reboot is the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.

Holy shit, I remember watching this ages ago, tried to find out what it was called for years but I was out of luck. Thank you good ser.

Gargoyles only by virtue of never having seen swat Kats.

I am not that surprised Gargoyles won. One thing that wasn't mentioned was when they touched upon Shakespearean references and other cultures' iconography, mostly throughout the second season with that last bit when they found Avalon. The use of specific horror iconography helped with the popularity of "The Real Ghostbusters" (like Bob mentioned in this Big Picture episode), so I'm not surprised something similar helped Gargoyles.

Though...I have to ask. Could you imagine, say...Marvel deciding to incorporate these guys into their universe like DC did with characters like Static? Seeing as how NYC is superhero central for the most part in the Marvel universe, I bet it would make for some interesting plots. As well as a few yuks when Spiderman realizes the gargoyle "Bruce" he was talking to in that one animated series turned out to be Bronx...who then proceeds to try and lick his mask off.

Ed,Edd,n Eddy would be awesome.

I never saw SWAT Cats, so pretty much everything I know about the series stems from this video. This might make me sound like a bit of a jerk, but Chris didn't make the case for that show very well - after watching the video my entire understanding of SWAT Cats was that it featured cats (plural, so I know there was more then one protagonist) in a fighter jet.

Nghtgnt:
I never saw SWAT Cats, so pretty much everything I know about the series stems from this video. This might make me sound like a bit of a jerk, but Chris didn't make the case for that show very well - after watching the video my entire understanding of SWAT Cats was that it featured cats (plural, so I know there was more then one protagonist) in a fighter jet.

AND YOU NEED MORE?

Swat Kats was class, oooooooh so much class, just the setting and the action holds up and oh, that theme song.
Gargoyles was cool, but didn't really engage me much, I always felt it fell slightly short of the imagination of Arc shows that came before like Jayce and Wheeled Warriors, Visionaries and others of their ilk. But Swat Kats, Swat Kats was just about high octane action.

Tanner The Monotone:
Ed,Edd,n Eddy would be awesome.

Nah, Ed, Edd, n Eddy had a good run and ended properly. It doesn't really need to come back.

If I had to pick a show from the 90's to pick back up again I'd have to say Mobile Suit Gundam. I know that they still have new episodes somewhere, at least last I checked, but they aren't anywhere near the same. They're all squishy and about love interests instead of a kick-ass space war with fifty foot tall robots. Which makes me want to get some MS points and buy the classic episodes they have on Xbox-live...

Nghtgnt:

Basically:

Two cops (called enforcers) that dreamed of being heroic pilots from the time they grew up in the ghetto ( think) are fired from the force for accidentally destroying a the headquarters of the Enforcers with a stray missile while chasing one of the main criminals. If I remember correcly, it was Dark Kat, a mage who controls little imps.

For much of the series, all the fighting is aircraft based. Even the enforcers heavily rely on aircraft.

They were fired and forced to work the Enforcer junk yard in disgrace. They were meant to basically be indentured servants to repay the damage they did. They later discover that they could, in theory, build a manner of weaponry using discarded enforcer weapons and aircraft.

Everything is 90s retro futurism tech, so laser pistols, hover cars, etc are everywhere. Some of the stuff they use isn't explained like how they could build a hangar under the junkyard with their meager salary or how they can rebuild their destroyed jet so fast on what comes through the junkyard.

They built a fighter jet and a range of weapons from power fists to missiles. They adopt the identity "SWAT Kats" and live the life of top gun pilots/SWAT team fighting a host of villains technological, supernatural, and magical. 99% of the time, they are top gun pilots.

The show was canned because the 90s was the height of the "school shooter" fear, so anything violent was canned and replaced with the smurfs. They thought violent Tv shows like Batman, Swat Kats, or any show with physical fighting was turning kids into gang bangers and school shooters.

Since Swat Katz showed death in practically every episode, a rare thing in that time and totally impossible to do with today's standards, it gained a bit of a cult following. Even though it was Hana Barbera's attempt to capitalize of Batman: The Animated Series popularity, it was still awesome in its own right.

So it was a victim of the 90's fear of violence that led cartoons to ONLY be the "room mate sitcom" shows off now.

And yes, the argument for swat kats was weak. He really pulled his punches when Swat kats had so much history and controversy around it to draw from.

I'm not going to deny the impact of how amazing Gargoyles is and how much potential it has for the modern-era, especially now with things like Homeland Security being such a big deal and corporations gaining more power to almost rival states, as well as the effect of organizations like Anonymous on the modern-world (I for one would pay to see a Lexington try to out-hack a whole army of Anonymous hackers, or just have his own network of follower hackers that act to protect the Gargoyles).

The landscape of today is pretty perfect for a new Gargoyles, but I'd also like to see the return of Captain Planet. The world of today, while becoming more tech oriented and frightening, is also more knowledgeable and willing to do its part in helping protect the planet. There's more ecological tech available at the home level now and there's a lot more people can do at the individual level to help the environment. Plus e-cycling has become a huge thing and there could also be segments where they show off new green tech innovations.

But in the contest of Gargoyles vs. Capt. Planet I'm pretty sure everyone will vote for Gargoyles. The only issue is (well besides Disney not giving up the rights) the Gothic and neo-Gothic tones the show has been known for and how exactly its going to fit into the new style of the age.

I only know one thing for certain: if Gargoyles does come back, Lexington would be A LOT more powerful if the show was set today than back then.

1) ReBoot. 3rd Season. Release on Netflix, NOW!

Seriously, the best part of Reboot, personally, was that last season. I mean god they played Mortal Kombat! Music and everything, and someone even gets their eye poked out! Sadly, the people who currently own the rights to it are just sitting on their asses. Movies are trapped in limbo, and well... nothing else is coming down the drain.

2) As for what should get a reboot? Why not both? Honestly I was more of a fan of Swat Kats than I was of Gargoyles, though it helped that Swat Kats aligned with my TV availability much more easily than Gargoyles did at the time. Pretty disappointed though in Swat Kats defense, I hereby claim a mistrial and call for a new attorney to be assigned to the show!

Swat Kats definitely deserves something, and Gargoyle just needs some exposure now for me, might have to check Netflix later on for it...

3) While we're on it, why not just bring back 90s Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon people? The 90s were honestly those channels strongest points. Toonami, Rugrats, (The good versions of) All That, Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers. I mean come on! And, it was at the time when Pokemon didn't feel like a bloated mess of redundancy, adding only for the sake of adding, where Ash was a trainer with a dream, and Team Rocket was a lovable set of villains who, at times, showed some real humanity! Also, this was the point where losing in the big tournament was a big deal, and not the obligatory part of the story. I mean god... They touched on Pikachu's level ONCE in that first season, and it was at like 50. HOW is that little rodent not tearing shit up by now?! The fact it got a heavy beatdown by some inexperienced starter pokemon in the recent version (Black and White) goes to show how messed up all this is. Ash needs to get the boot, go the route of Yu-Gi-Oh and replace his ass with a new trainer and let him just come in as cameos. Maybe the new guy (or girl) will actually win something.

who else remembers the gun saftey episode of gargoyles when bronx(i cant remeber if thats his name, but the token Fat character)accidentally shoots Elisa

Thank you, I remember watchingba scene from Swat Kats I'm my childhood but I could not remember the name of the show. Now if only someone could tell me the name of the cartoon I'm which the villain had a machine that turned people into evil zombies which eventually only worked on people who were already pretty bad because those were the only people he used it on.

Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Dexters Lab, Ren and Stimpy(none of this spin-off crap.) All of them more deserving of a reboot than either Swat Kats or Gargoyles.

Thing that most needs a triumphant return? Not a 90s show. The answer is No Right Explanation. I would have clicked on the articles more times if it would have saved it.

Treaos Serrare:
who else remembers the gun saftey episode of gargoyles when bronx(i cant remeber if thats his name, but the token Fat character)accidentally shoots Elisa

Nah, Broadway was his name. Because who else would be named Broadway?

If you're talking about cartoons of the '90s, I'd have to go with Rocko's Modern Life.
If you're talking about cartoons from my childhood, I'd have to go with Astroboy. Because I was there when it first showed up. Yes, I've been watching anime for longer than your parents have been alive.

PS--Colonial Williamsburg is not the the "Best Family Trip Ever". Wankers.

I have very vague memories of SWAT cats, I guess I didn't watch enough of them as a kid? As for gargoyles I absolutely loved them, I liked them so much that I would leave the VCR recording the entire day since it aired like a hour or 2 after I had to leave for school.

But I think they hit the peak a little before their last season, where they clearly were running on fumes. I mean they literally fought their world's version of God, how do they follow that up? With 3 of them acting like horny teenagers(although considering how few female options they had, I don't really blame them) and then trying to make them feel like the x-men. which obviously it didn't work as well as they hoped.

Also I never knew about the star trek people were the VAs in that show, my star trek watching days came later in life and I never made the connection. So thanks for that info. :)
Wonder how open they would be to VA a reboot?

Spot1990:
Freakazoid, everyone else is wrong.

Or Animaniacs for being one of the best comedy shows on tv of all time, never mind just cartoons.

Tru Dat!

ravenshrike:
Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Dexters Lab, Ren and Stimpy(none of this spin-off crap.) All of them more deserving of a reboot than either Swat Kats or Gargoyles.

Another 'scapist with a brain!

(Seriously I want more of this!)

RatherDashing89:
Thing that most needs a triumphant return? Not a 90s show. The answer is No Right Explanation. I would have clicked on the articles more times if it would have saved it.

Swoon! :D

Gargoyles was uncompromisingly awesome =)

YES!!! gargoyles WINS!!! JALAPENO!!! I watched that show every day after school, and it was fan freaking tastic. And now I discover Jonathan Frakes played Xanatos, the cartoon villain with a trope or three named after him? Sweet! Also, Keith F**$ing David was goliath, and I heard his voice in the Civ V ad playing after the video. Perfect!

'Gargoyles' does not need a reboot. It's a good show as it is, save for the last season which was so-so. I don't see a reboot bringing anything new, and personally I don't see it surpassing the original. At best it would be on par, at worse it would undermine the franchise. If anything is to be done with the series it should be either a sequel or a feature film to provide an adequate ending.

As for the 'SWAT Kats', again I'm in two minds about a reboot. I loved the show. It had some excellent ideas and great characters, awesome music, but all that was mixed in with average to not-so-good episodic screenplay. A reboot in the same style like the second season, same characters yet continuous plot line, could indeed make it epic (if done right, ofc). On the other hand, I myself would like a feature film for this one as well.

bluepotatosack:

Treaos Serrare:

Nah, Broadway was his name. Because who else would be named Broadway?

he did get the only good gargoyle girl in the show so yeah he's really didn't do too bad:P

So my friend comes to me with the pitch for this video. And he expects me (As I am a furry) to pick Swat Kats. I didn't. I shocked him by picking Gargoyles. THEN I say "That show was awesome. It was like Teanage Mutant Ninja Turtles meets Batman: The Animated Series."

Then I watched the episode. Where they say that exact line.

[Insert F*CK YEAH strut here]

While Gargoyles is good, I would have gone for either:

Reboot

It wouldn't be the same without Tony Jay voicing Megabyte but the series ended with him in control of the Principal Office and ended with that cliffhanger.

Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles

More faithful to the book that the bloody movie, this also ended with the final battle yet to be fought.

Wait, a show about cats in a fighter jet? Where can I see this?

IndomitableSam:
Oh, come on. No question. Gargoyles. Love that show. Still love it. Watched it all through again a year or so ago.

Sorry, any answer other than Gargoyles is wrong. Very, very wrong.

I was going to say exactly this.

My dream would be a revival of Greg Weisman EVERYTHING. Still miffed we didn't get that third Season of Young Justice.

Oh yes Gargoyles. The villains were very interesting. Science-fantasy with references to things that stand the test of time, Shakespeare references back when I didn't know who Shakespeare was.

It used science for shifter/were stuff. So much awesome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here