The Big Picture: Celebritoons

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Im starting to realise just how horrible the a number of the cartoons I watched as a child were... Atleast two of those Ive watched almost religiously...

I'm disappointed by the lack of Jackie Chan Adventures

Just thank the lord we've never had an animated Gary Busey cartoon.

I sometimes wonder if Bob and I grew up in different realities. In the 80s, and even into the 90s, Bo was an internet meme before the internet meme was really a thing. We're not quite talking Chuck Norris level, but still. "Bo knows" was all over the place and people managed to not get tired of it, much to my chagrin.

Either that, or they were doing it "ironically," and being hipsters before hipsters were a thing.

bdcjacko:
Remember all of these shows. Bob forgot the Rosie O'Dollen show, and I wish I did too.

You found one I don't know about. That's a feat.

TAdamson:
As always when you post this sort of thing, I sit there asking

------Where do you find this stuff?------

In the 80s, you absorbed this shit by virtue of being alive. Seriously, I didn't even get some of these shows on my cable providers and I know them.

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck Reality TV, CelebriGAMES are where it's at!

A special, lower tier of celebritainment where only Jack Black appears.

I feel like I should apply to be Bob's intern since when he brings up old animated TV shows, I basically looked at the list of celebrity shows and went "seen it, seen it, didn't see it, seen it, etc." With the exception of a few, I've actually grown up watching the majority of these shows. I don't know if I find that impressive or just sad. ^^;

Every one has brought up Jackie Chan Adventures as one show Bob overlooked but what about Lil' Rosie, which was Rosanne Bar's short lived-animated series?

Although, in retrospect, perhaps its best to forget about that one.

franksands:

DVS BSTrD:

Hear, Hear. I would definitely like more Jack Black games.

but with a keyboard and mouse friendly interface.

75% of this installment was just random cartoon openings, around the halfway point I started skipping ahead in the video because I didn't want to see any more of that shit, you kept them on for way too long MovieBob -_-

Meh, I guess Bob's allowed to release something like this once in a while (a long while).

RTR:
I'm disappointed by the lack of Jackie Chan Adventures

Amen :P

Yeah, I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon and mention Jackie Chan Adventures.
I think it was one of the last cartoons I stopped watching as I grew up. I did love it but I think they could have improved the last series to give it less of the, "we're milking it of its last drops" feel.

Strain42:

Elijah Newton:

DVS BSTrD:

*chuckle* I'll see your Jack Black-ery and raise you KISS: Psycho Circus: Nightmare Child - a game based on a comic based on a band. Truly, truly, I say to you, this is the turducken of games.

Additional weirdness as the band is made of up comic book exaggerations of its members.

I see your KISS: Psycho Cirus and raise...these episodes of Bleep Bloop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb7xeksqB1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2hI9acvNqc

I agree with many others here that Jackie Chan Adventures was a really good one. I can't help but wonder what sort of celebrities would get TV shows like this in todays day and age.

Phelpslantis - A series where Michael Phelps plays the prince of Atlantis forced to live on land by his father?

Nathan Fillion as Nathan Fillion in Nathan Fillion is Nathan Fillion - A show where Nathan Fillion sits in a chair and reads the phone books (thanks to the internet this will last for six seasons)

The Imagination of Seth MacFarlane - A somewhat serious story where Seth MacFarlane becomes a detective inside his own brain in a world where gunshots make fart sounds

...I'll stop now.

And I will raise you the unanimated "KISS meets the Phantom of the Park" and the animated "Tenko and the Guardians of the Magic" based around a real-life Japanese magician (female, in case you were wondering).

saintdane05:
No mention of Thomas the Tank Engine, AKA Ringo Starr/George Carlin/ALEC DAMN BALDWIN talks for five minutes?

I will hear no words spoken against Beatles narrated Thomas the Tank Engine, heretic!

LadyRhian:
The animated "Tenko and the Guardians of the Magic" based around a real-life Japanese magician (female, in case you were wondering).

Not gonna lie, I think that show had some potential, and I thought Mariko Itakura was kind of hot when I saw her doing the tricks at the end of each episode. By all accounts, she's actually a damn good illusionist.

Gordon_4:

saintdane05:
No mention of Thomas the Tank Engine, AKA Ringo Starr/George Carlin/ALEC DAMN BALDWIN talks for five minutes?

I will hear no words spoken against Beatles narrated Thomas the Tank Engine, heretic!

I ain't! Hell, Thomas and Friends was my favorite show growing up! Just last month, I spent nearly $200 on some of the toys.
Incidentally, have you ever been on the Sodor Island Fansite? Has some really good stuff on there, including audio productions based off the Railway series.

saintdane05:

Gordon_4:

saintdane05:

I ain't! Hell, Thomas and Friends was my favorite show growing up! Just last month, I spent nearly $200 on some of the toys.
Incidentally, have you ever been on the Sodor Island Fansite? Has some really good stuff on there, including audio productions based off the Railway series.

Sorry, accusation of heresy withdrawn. Long live the Fat Controller!

ShirowShirow:
I liked "Jackie Chan Adventures" (I'm too old to add "When I was a kid" to that) but the first thing that came to mind for me was the Puffy Ami Yumi Show. Apparently Teen Titans was so popular another show got greenlit based on the popularity of its' theme song alone.

Yeah but Jackie Chan adventures had an actual story which is why it was awesome.

OT: I REMEMBER GRAVESDALE HIGH! NOSTALGIA BOMB!!!

ShirowShirow:
I liked "Jackie Chan Adventures" (I'm too old to add "When I was a kid" to that) but the first thing that came to mind for me was the Puffy Ami Yumi Show. Apparently Teen Titans was so popular another show got greenlit based on the popularity of its' theme song alone.

Man, I remember really enjoying Puffy Ami Yumi Show. I wonder if it still holds up.

OT: I had about a 60/40 split on those shows from the 90s that I knew of. Can't say I watched many of them though.

The whole time I was thinking about the kind of people that must have written those theme songs.
They either believed it was a good idea the whole way through, or it was a painful, soul crushing process for a group of writers.

This was just disturbing. I havent grown up in the US, and the concept of celebritoons....I'm just disturbed.

Interesting video as always Bob.

Strain42:

General Vagueness:
I'm disappointed, he basically slapped some pieces of cartoons together and added some voice-over and those same faces he always uses; he didn't have a point or a bigger thing he was commenting on or even presenting and he even said so. The discussion is better than the episode, actually.

Maybe you and I just have different tastes in this show, but these are the sorts of episodes that I love seeing him do. When I just get to learn and see about some stuff that I didn't know about before. Admittedly I prefer when he goes into a bit more detail on the subject, this one felt just like a junk drawer episode that had a theme (I mean Sucker Punch got two episodes, why couldn't this? Expand on some of these)

But I prefer these fun pop culture trivia episodes over stuff like the With Great Power episode he did a few weeks back.

I'm not saying I don't like this type of episode, I'm saying I don't like that there seemed to be little effort put into it. Personally I didn't find the stuff he copied and pasted to be that funny or interesting, but even when it is funny or interesting, I don't like when copypasta'd clips take up this much time (which happens once every couple months, and more often he gets close to that level).

Watched lots of Bobby's World and Camp Candy. They were both reasonably decent, and Bobby's mom did more for that crazy Great Lakes accent than Fargo ever did.

I remember catching Bruno the Kid before school, too. The show was fairly solid, but it reminds me that Bruce Willis was also a pioneer in the CelebriGame world, too, starring in the PSX game Apocalypse.

I actually really like life with Louie back when I was a kid, especially his dad was incredibly funny.

Bindal:
No mentioning if "Jackie Chan Adventures"? Now I am disappointed... (probably the only show of this kind that I ever saw, too.)

I know, right? Though I think since MovieBobs cartoon knowledge seems to stop at around the late 90s/early 2000s, and Jackie Chan Adventures was early 2000s, I wasn't surprised it wasn't there.

Hey man class of 3000 was pretty sweet

Wow, Bob's scraping the bottom of the barrel with the show selection this week. They all looked like complete crap.

I bet everyone totally forgot about this one lol

Might be dating myself here, but I watched several of those... the nostalgia, i feelz it. >.>

Well those are images I can't unsee, thanks Bob

It's both weird, and interesting to see what was produced back in the day, and how the times have changed between then and now. Though I still don't understand how anyone working on Hammerman heard that theme song and said "Yep, I have no problems about anything in this theme song, nothing wrong whatsoever," cause that made me want to stab someone just to make it stop

And I would assume he didn't use Jackie Chan because while it was selling out JC, it also wasn't AS surreal. I'm not saying that finding mystical artifacts to stop an evil dragon from using super powers is common place, but it felt a little more grounded in reality than something like, well whatever the hell Muhammad Ali's show was. It was about the very out of place shows I would assume

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here