Jimquisition: The Adblock Episode

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 29 NEXT

Me I tend to switch ghostery on and off on site I visit regularly, basically I turn off the white list, for a while, if I start to get annoying ads. Which make me think I need to turn white list on again for the Escapist, hopefully what made me turn it off is gone.

I just deal with flash player crashes and annoying-as-fucking-shit-for-the-love-of-Zeus's-nutsack-would-you-just-shut-the-fuck-up-you-fetid-chunks-of-rotting-cunt-cheese ads, but I thoroughly understand why some one would use them, I got ears. And I know that I tend to have more patience than the average person, thank you mom, BUT! What I will never abide by is asshole behavior. If you have an ad-block on just to be an asshole, please know two things:

1. You're in the wrong and you need to change your behavior.

2. The only reason I'm being so kind to you with the first one is because I don't want to upset any mods, and if I were given the permission to say what I wish, it would make Jim Norton blush.

I'm going to edit this, not worth the risk of a warning. I can understand using ad-blocker on this site. They are God awful and unacceptable. I don't mind ads, but intrusive ones piss me off to no end. I still have to suggest the publishers club as it is well worth the benefits.

But I'm really happy to see Jim being so forgiving for people using ad-block and understanding about it.

not sure how much better a work around it is.

But I disabled the flashplayer plugin, for all of the internet and turn it back on when needed. Some sites have it running full time. but not this one. This one I have to manually turn it back on to watch the things I like.

Why would I do something like this? the fucking adds that expand when you so much as glance at them, the ones that are basically running full audio and video on their own. that's why.

this doesn't stop all the adds, but it does cull the ones that make me want to stop coming to the site all together, and there is the minor inconvenience of having to turn it back on to watch anything. But it's worth it to me.

For those of you who hate ads (like me) but want to still support the excellent work posted by Jim and all other Escapist contributors, I recommend joining the Publisher's Club for a small fee. That's what I do.

Fat_Hippo:
I don't use Adblock, nor do I plan to, nor do I advocate its use, but by god, The Escapist hasn't been making it easy for me the past few months. Video ads, which play on the sides and bottom of the page, starting themselves, with SOUND, which I then have to close everytime I open a new page, have occasionally made browsing the site a downright pain in the ass.

I'm finding myself in very much the same position, and it's been bugging me for a while. I didn't know how (or which section, really) to bring it up though, wihtout it sounding like a whine thread. I don't mind an adroll at the beginning of a video on Youtube or Blip (unless you're talking about those bloody Samsung ads Youtube was during CES, which were 15 minutes long. On a 5 minute video. My general rule of thumb is if the ad is over a minute, it's skipped if it lets me), or benign banner ads but as of now the Escapist has some of the most obnoxious ads of the all the sites I regularly visit. The autoplay video ads with sound are bad enough, but then some of them don't have a pause button in the regular spots, if at all, forcing me to click on the damn thing to stop it which then opens up a new tab that no doubt some advertiser will use to boost their numbers even though I closed the damn tab immediately.

Though it was probably worse during the Assassin's creed IV launch, where I had to pay close attention to where I moved my mouse cursor, lest I open a rollover ad with a video (with audio) that had to be manually closed, and if you weren't quick enough, open it again because the exit button was positioned over the rollover ad....

I stopped using adblock a long time ago when it was explained to me that for some of the videos I watched, those ads were the way my favourite creators were making a living and making new content. I can suffer through a 30-40 second ad at the beginning and end, and a couple times through if it's a long video but such irritating site design is really making me reconsider.

Under_your_bed:

Jimothy Sterling:
Please give me money for my work

After years of unskippable, looping ads at the start of videos that would repeatedly crash my computer, I'm never touching the "off" button on AdBlock for the escapist ever.

However, if I think about it, I'd say that this website is worth $20 a month, so publishers Club HOOOO!!

Thank God for Jim

I don't know if that was a typo or not, but it's $20 a YEAR, not per month. It's like the cost of buying 1 DVD/Blu-Ray.

Never blocked ads, never will. I don't like the idea of consuming media for free. I've never had problems with ads either- yeah, the full screen ones that you get on IGN are annoying, but if someone can't be bothered to watch a 15 second ad on Youtube, or take 2 seconds to mute the ones that automatically play sound, or have to click out the full screen ads in return for content people put a lot of time and effort into, then that strikes me as selfish. You're taking the content producers for granted.

Jimothy Sterling:
Yes, I should have made more mention of the fact (rather than just a still image) that The Escapist has a reasonable ad-free subscription service. This is also a really good way to support the site if you have some spare dubloons and want the ads gone.

Also, thanks so much for the frank and civil response thus far!

I was just about to ask, as a content creator, which is preferred, the sub to the site or that we watch the ads... but now looking that pub club is ad-free, I guess that is the answer. Should have plugged the pub club a little harder in the vid maybe. After coming here for *years*, I don't know how I missed that fact that it was ad-free. :p

Off to permanently disable damn gummy worm commercials.

I have everything adblocked except the specific websites I tell it not to block. The Escapist is one of them, I did it for Yahtzee at first but I didn't knew it didn't affected you as well.

As long as you don't use kick-starter to make money from just nostalgic ideas you're far from pathetic, so be proud about it man this must be a fun job and I understand why you want to keep it.

By the way...
Pro tip for The Escapist: Don't put adds that have sound, its annoying as hell. Or at least use the one that can be muted. (Just in case this happens for some users)

Doctor Proctor:

I don't know if that was a typo or not, but it's $20 a YEAR, not per month. It's like the cost of buying 1 DVD/Blu-Ray.

So it is. Thanks god I'm not as bad with my money as I am illiterate....

What sucks is that the more time someone spends on particular sites like the Escapist, the more piss-annoying the ads get. This means that the people who support you the most are also the ones most inclined to adblock. Currently there's a Jeep ad right between the header menu and the URL bar, so every single time I move my mouse over that general direction it thinks I give it permission to fill the screen with an extremely loud video. Oh look, there it is again, pretty close to the 'submit post' button. Oh, it also wants to appear on the empty space on both sides the the website? That's GREAT! You want to click on the forums button? "BUY A JEEP INSTEAD. I know I'm physically on top of the forum button, but IF YOU BUY ME I'LL GO AWAY (I lied, I'll ask you to buy another)"

I view sites like this on multiple computers, some with adblock and some without. I'd love to support you guys, and good ads absolutely have no impact on me whatsoever. But I don't want to support the ads themselves, and the way we've both mentioned how obtrusive they can be they can literally prevent me from consuming escapist content in these occasions.

Unfortunately it's hard to find room in the budget for more reoccurring subscriptions, especially when the other budget members don't like the idea of paying for any internet that they wouldn't really have to.

I do have an adblocking plugin, but The Escapist has been whitelisted for a long time. However, I do have an anti-tracking plugin (not going to name it as to hopefully avoid mod wrath), which while not intended as an adblocker - still occasionally blocks an ad, but almost never all of them. I do feel bad about what ever revenue that takes away, but when an ad infringes on privacy, it's gone too far IMO.

The naive side of me does feel that making ads less intrusive would solve the problem, but the cynical side disagrees and feels there will always be a few individuals who don't care. Then again, it would be much easier to convince most people to turn it off if the ads were non intrusive simple banner ad deals. ...

One thing the whole adblock debate brings to mind is HomeStarRunner. No advertising outside an easter egg or a shoutout. Almost completely merchandise driven. The two guys who made it were able to live off what they made with the site. As someone who has done both video and animation, animation also takes a hell of lot more time. So it makes me think ... I mean, that site was also extremely popular, but still.

While I do use adblock, I only use it on sites I have not visited. If I'm going to be visiting a site or watching a webshow regularily, I make sure to whitelist it.

Also, the ads I see on this site are not that intrusive, but considering I live in Venezuela, It's probably a regional thing.

Under_your_bed:
After years of unskippable, looping ads at the start of videos that would repeatedly crash my computer, I'm never touching the "off" button on AdBlock for the escapist ever.

However, if I think about it, I'd say that this website is worth $20 a month, so publishers Club HOOOO!!

Thank God for Jim

PubClub is $20 per year, not month. It works out to $1.66/month to be a subscriber. It's a fantastic deal.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd pay $20/month for it, but I'd gladly pay a bit more than they're currently charging for what it gives you.

Under_your_bed:

Doctor Proctor:

So it is. Thanks god I'm not as bad with my money as I am illiterate....

I'm apparently as bad as you are, so at least we aren't alone ^.^

-Removed my opinion because of impending warning-

Jim Sterling is still very handsome, in any case. He does need more dragon dildo's though.

When I first started using adblock, it was to reduce content loaded on my slow internet connection, making the stuff I want to see load faster.
When my internet became broadband, I tried going without it for a while. That didn't last long, with all the "bad ads" in the internet (intrusive, loud, offensive, etc). I went back to adblocking everything.
Now when I see my most visited sites requesting me to remove adblock, I tend to do so but mentally add a condition: if I don't like the method of advertisement (popups, etc), I put the site straight back on adblock.
Others have already mentioned, silent banners are ok, little (as in, skippable or short) advertisements before videos loading are ok (although I don't see them because Pub Club), but when an ad gets in the way and prevents us from accessing the media we're looking for... there is a line, and that is it being crossed.

So, in response to this episode, I've whitelisted Escapist again. I'll let the ads load. But if those ads annoy me in any way, then adblock will return. I don't hold it against Escapist, just the ad companies who don't show restraint.

Lunar Templar:

But I disabled the flashplayer plugin, for all of the internet and turn it back on when needed. Some sites have it running full time. but not this one. This one I have to manually turn it back on to watch the things I like.

Why would I do something like this? the fucking adds that expand when you so much as glance at them, the ones that are basically running full audio and video on their own. that's why.

this doesn't stop all the adds, but it does cull the ones that make me want to stop coming to the site all together, and there is the minor inconvenience of having to turn it back on to watch anything. But it's worth it to me.

Not trying to be a shill here, just trying to point out the benefits of the alternatives... The Pub Club gives you access to HTML5 versions of all of their videos, which means that you can have the flashplayer plugin turned off all you want and still be able to watch their content. Again, that's why I like the service is because it actually offers all sorts of extra things to make the experience better besides just disabling the ads. :)

I'm not someone who really makes comments here or anywhere really for that matter but I've been on the escapist for years, watched every zero punctuation, LRR, Feeddump, every episode of the Jimquisition and watch Jims youtube videos.

As usual a lot of fair points have been made. But I wont be turning my adblock off for some of the very reasons Jim himself brought up in this video.

I think though, that after coming here 3 or 4 times a week, every week for the past I dont know how many years, that it is time I subscribed to the publishers club. I hope this makes things a little more even.

The ads on this site are some of the worst on the web IMO, so I fully understand why people want to block them -- however I personally am a member of the Publisher's Club, which allows me to turn off the ads (and it's a major reason I joined that program, along with the HD videos).
I'd only see them here if for some reason I'm not logged in AND the extension hasn't loaded in my browser... the few times that happened made me rush to log in ASAP as the site is unbrowseable with the click-highjacking sidebanners, the loud flash ads, and the rollovers that block videos and articles.

I used to allow every kind of content, but eventually, the ads and spywere got to me
first, years ago there were blinking ads, and I made a mental note to never buy anything those ads sell
then there were pop ups
then came malwere traps
then I ran into sites where an ad changed my desktop backround to an ad site
then there were fake antivirus programs that installed themselves, that i had to remove from MANY relatives computers,
then came ads with sound, like that annoying as **** smiley that yells "OH MY GOD!"
then came ads from a local company, notifying me(with REALLY GROSS pictures), that "genital pain is common for women"(i'm a guy)
and the last straw, my android phone, had parts of its interface covered with an ad(not a banner to the top/bottom/side, actually COVERED a part of the interface, so I couldnt use some programs.

Now, I try to whitelist ads for companies I try to support, but that's not easy,
and almost nothing gets to run scripts, scripts are whitelisted on a VERY short whitelist
I have gotten way too much nonsence auto-installing itself, FROM WEBSITES I TRUSTED.

I sympathise with content creators that depend on ads, but in far too many areas, the ads are just too much to handle.
The internet just becomes so MUCH more... FUNCTIONAL, not to mention SAFER, if you block all the scripts and all the ads...

Wait! You actually thought I was DEMANDING something about clickbait?
NO. I was mentioning one huge aspect of an issue that you constantly talk about but ignore that aspect.
I was offering constructive criticism about the fact that you have never mentioned punishment other than talking at ALL male gamers, in a tone similar to yours on this show.
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings(even if you have hurt mine several times in the past) or if you thought I demanded something.

You can see my post history. I only had ONE warning before that thread and have always tried my best to be polite and follow the rules even when feeling personally insulted and being extremely angry. Now I have 3 warnings and am on probation and I took it knowing the rules full well to get a response about clickbait and I used that product's name to get your attention.

And I followed through on my promise and have disabled it on the Escapist and will continue to keep it disabled as long as don't find clickbait again. And at that point I will cease coming here as I have with Cracked and Kotaku instead of enabling it and visiting again. Because at that point you will prove your willingness to do anything to keep people arguing here instead of enjoying your content and allowing them to leave.

I seriously don't mind ads, until they play obnoxious noise at an unholy sound level without provocation. The other thing is they can drastically reduce your computers performance.

Adblock is off for things like YouTube because I get a 5 20 or 30 second ad (sometimes) and then that's pretty much it, and you can very easily mute them/turn them down whilst you look at another tab/window.

People that flaunt the fact that they use adblock need to seriously consider growing up though.

"Allowed all this page" in noscript just now. Not because I like you that much, but I think you (and all the other guys on here) should be supported nonetheless. Don't get me wrong, you are hilarious and all that, but most of your topics are too console / call of duty community related for my taste. I'm simply too old for that. Though when I choose to watch you, I'm always highly entertained and usually agreeing with your reasoning, so thanks for that, and thank god for you.

The most I can guarantee, Jim, is for videos on the escapist I'll make a point to whitelist the video page of each video I end up watching and allowing the ads to flow through. I'd love it if the escapist could cut down on the ads, though, so much of the page is ads AND then there is an ad at the beginning of each video. That's as annoying as it is also, usually, browser crashing.

I may even end up using that amazon wishlist of yours, since thank God for Jim (and a hopeful moderator armistice for this thread).

Edit: scrolling through this thread, I see a lack of armistice. A lot of these flagged posts have valid points about the state of ads. Oh well.

I'll admit, I turned on the adblock a few months ago. I'd lived with the video ads, but when they ended by opening a tab asking me to update my updated browser (an obvious maleware scam), I said enough is enough. Since then, my computer has been running more smoothly without java, flash, shockwave, whatever things eating up resources. I no longer hit an ad that suddenly popped over the link I was trying to click, and I feel less subject to invasive attempts to look into my surfing history to bring up an appropriate ad (which also keeps things running smoothly).

My guilt over this depends on where I'm visiting. I want to support things I like, but an ad based model leads to support of things I might (in hindsight) not think were worth supporting. Poor work, certain political opinions, or just any attempt to drive clicks through a flame war, all things I don't want to support. Please me and I'll use your tip jar and buy your merchandise. I'll fully admit that it's about me selfishly wanting things made with the intent to please me, not just get me on the web page or refreshing the forums.

My extremely brief two coppers.

I NEVER buy the stuff that is advertised to me. I think (even if its working right now) the idea that a company can afford to pay really popular streamers/content creators whatever it is that they pay them per view, and have most of us just stare at the ads blankly, or tab out while they are playing is rather disingenuous.

It's like the folks that used to roll ads after their stream was complete, and people would just stay logged on and go to bed. They've stopped that practice in most places, but just as some streamers would call adblocking their stuff "stealing" running ads just so nobody can buy your stuff is "stealing" in my mind. Even if all parties agree, I adblock simply because I don't feel like engaging in this monetary scheme where a company is willing to pay someone for the opportunity to show me something that might entice me to buy it.

I just don't play that game. It's nothing personal.

Well since Jim has essentially created a topic about it i think the floodgates have opened. I think having a rule against admitting to using addblock is total bullshit. I think it's, as Jim so valiantly admitted, web advertisers vault; adds have become nosier, more intrusive and incredibly hard to put up with. If I'm between lectures at the library the less than optimal computers are without addblock slow to a crawl of sites with three or four (or up to six in one case) different flash based adverts. There are adverts that auto-play with sound, expand when you roll over them to cover content, adverts that flash like a 4chan seizure picture and adds that contain stolen images of dead teenagers.

Not to mention sites like Yahoo being disgraced by the fact that some of their third party adds contained malware. Not just by clicking on them, the ad service it's self was carrying malware in it that turned users computers. into bitcoin botnet slaves. As we've seen in the past The Escapist has no contol over what adds it serves. (oh look it was actually me ^_^ bonus irony points for the person in that thread being given a warning for talking about Addblock) and so even though i love this site and show it by paying for my publishers club membership i cannot say that even the Escapist's adds are safe.

Bottom line; advertising on the internet is in most places is out of hand. As a consumer who is given a tool to make their online experience tolerable i will take that opportunity. End of.

Jim keeps talking about consumer rights and he is dead on here; as a consumer i reserve my right to use No Script to control what runs when i open a page and how. No Script is especially a good case because i feel it is so vital to protect you from rouge plugins. It's a security and privacy issue as much as it is a convenience issue. Adds are effectively collateral damage in this regard. All scrips are a way into your computer. The web is simply not safe enough for you to NOT use these tools.

Im generally ok with ads.... however its actually this site that made me use adblock. Ok so you have these little ads in the bottom corner of the screen, ok fair enough. Most usually have auto play audio that can be muted which is fine. BUT usually when the the escapist switch to new sets of ads or different types im not able to mute them for about a week and they keep replaying. This happened to me a few weeks ago on here and thats when i started to use adblock because coming on these forums was getting so annoying. And thats not the first time its happened to me on this site, same problem a few months ago but it got so bad i had to block.

Doctor Proctor:

Lunar Templar:

Not trying to be a shill here, just trying to point out the benefits of the alternatives... The Pub Club gives you access to HTML5 versions of all of their videos, which means that you can have the flashplayer plugin turned off all you want and still be able to watch their content. Again, that's why I like the service is because it actually offers all sorts of extra things to make the experience better besides just disabling the ads. :)

o.o!!

holy crap!! a quote got through!!

anyway.

It's a pretty endemic problem across the net, so just signing up for the pub club here (and I've though about it mind you), wouldn't say, fix the issue of the site I go to weekly for my Manga fix running an add for the 'new chevy Volt' or w/e with full audio while I'm trying to focus on that thing I'm actually there for.

It sucks, but I don't feel to bad about it, if for no other reason then here at least every one still gets the add revenue from the videos I watch.

I guess Jim is better than me, because I will point fingers. Stealing is stealing. You have people like me who don't turn on adblock because I get how the money flows. The people who are using adblock, you are the guys that are making the ads more intrusive for ME. They're getting worse and more interruptive as time goes on because I'm one of the few "paying my dues". And I do remember back when they weren't nearly so bad, especially on higher end sites that weren't what you call "shady" to begin with.

I'm sorry the trashcan is so far away that you don't feel like walking over there. I'm sorry it inconveniences you. It smells and who knows if a raccoon is going to jump out of there when you open the lid. But the ground is now covered in trash and you are actively making the world a worse place. I have no sympathy. I owe you none.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 29 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here