Can You Name That Anime Plot?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Can You Name That Anime Plot?

Test your knowledge of anime based only on a basic plot synopsis.

Take the quiz!

"Behold the power of transformable mecha and J-pop." What is this, it sounds cool!

I got second place and only because the first question tripped me up. (I didn't recognize one of the names on the list)

Vorpal_Smilodon:
"Behold the power of transformable mecha and J-pop." What is this, it sounds cool!

You don't recognise Macross? for shame (part of Robotech in the USA) just don't bother with Macross 7

well that was stupid making a mistake on a series i own

Vorpal_Smilodon:

I think that's the only one I got wrong.

Sadly there was no question about jojo. "Kenshiro beats up a vampire named DIO."

I got one wrong. But I don't know which one.

I wish the quizzes would tell you.

game-lover:
I got one wrong. But I don't know which one.

I wish the quizzes would tell you.

Oops, my bad. I forgot to check that box. It should do it now.

Should I watch Baccano!? I hear good things.

not sure what one I got wrong beside the question about magical girl fighting witches .. which could describe about a million anime series

crazygameguy4ever:
not sure what one I got wrong beside the question about magical girl fighting witches .. which could describe about a million anime series

That was Madoka Magica a really good one that is on Netflix by the Urobutcher. Nice and Dark

PunkRex:

Yes its really good. A bit confusing the first few eps since it jumps around time wise like a Terrintino movie but that also makes it more interesting.

2 things
1. A bit stupid, that you need an account to take the quiz
2. I guess the difficulty was okay, got 10/10 on first attempt, only one that I wasn't sure on was "record of lodoss war", since I hadn't seen any of the animes you could choose, but remember seeing it being used in an amv.

80%

Well, considering I watch very little anime and only knew four of the questions, I'd say that I did pretty well.

P-89 Scorpion:

Vorpal_Smilodon:

You don't recognise Macross? for shame (part of Robotech in the USA) just don't bother with Macross 7

I'd rather see 7 again than 0. At least the music was good.

P-89 Scorpion:

Vorpal_Smilodon:

Technically the answer could be Mobile Suit Gundam if they were including the SEED series, lol.

PunkRex:

Its basically if quentin tarantino made an anime set in america's prohibition era. Lots of fun characters and violence. Also definitely check out the dub if English is one of your languages.

I scored 80%, with 8 of 10 correct on The Escapist's Can You Name That Anime Plot?.
Take this quiz
Some of these were guessed and pure luck, and some are favorites of mine. But I did not get the questions about the "D&D party" and "Trains, Prohibition, and Immortality!" Totally missed those.

Could someone message me the name of this anime:
So a knight, an elf, a dwarf, a thief, a wizard, and a cleric are all in an adventuring party? This is so anime Dungeons & Dragons.
I want to check it out.

80% really.. didn't expect that. Haven't watched that much Anime. Mmm makes you think.

tanithwolf:
So a knight, an elf, a dwarf, a thief, a wizard, and a cleric are all in an adventuring party? This is so anime Dungeons & Dragons.
I want to check it out.

Record of Lodoss War

Watch the original OVA up til they deal with the Gray Witch and Gims Story (episodes 7&8 i think) then switch over to Record of Lodoss War Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. The original OVA shortens the entire story into an episode, or two. Then if you want watch what happens to a few other characters at the end then watch Legend of Crystania. Then finally watch Rune Soldier Louie

Or just Watch Rune Soldier Louie first. Rune Soldier takes place on the main continent, and Lodoss is the Cursed Island severed off of the continent. It's a lot funnier than Lodoss since Lodoss is ultra serious with the exception of the Super Deformed Shorts that exist to insert humor at the end of otherwise serious episodes in Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Rune Soldier is also unconnected to any of the other story other than it takes place in the same world. You'll never see Parn, or Deedlit show up in Rune Soldier.

So, instead of seeing my score, I get the leaderboard.

Okay. ;-;

100% first try with a low enough time that the scoreboard put me at 34th out of 1400 or so responses at the time I did it.

I'm not quite sure how the hell I did that since the only anime on this list that I've seen was Cowboy Bebop but reading the summaries and options I still knew exactly which animes were being talked about. It's like geek culture by osmosis, and maybe an indicator that I need to spend less time online.

medv4380:

tanithwolf:
I want to check it out.

Record of Lodoss War

Watch the original OVA up til they deal with the Gray Witch and Gims Story (episodes 7&8 i think) then switch over to Record of Lodoss War Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. The original OVA shortens the entire story into an episode, or two. Then if you want watch what happens to a few other characters at the end then watch Legend of Crystania. Then finally watch Rune Soldier Louie

Or just Watch Rune Soldier Louie first. Rune Soldier takes place on the main continent, and Lodoss is the Cursed Island severed off of the continent. It's a lot funnier than Lodoss since Lodoss is ultra serious with the exception of the Super Deformed Shorts that exist to insert humor at the end of otherwise serious episodes in Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Rune Soldier is also unconnected to any of the other story other than it takes place in the same world. You'll never see Parn, or Deedlit show up in Rune Soldier.

Thank you.

Darth_Payn:
I scored 80%, with 8 of 10 correct on The Escapist's Can You Name That Anime Plot?.
Take this quiz
Some of these were guessed and pure luck, and some are favorites of mine. But I did not get the questions about the "D&D party" and "Trains, Prohibition, and Immortality!" Totally missed those.

i missed two since i never saw them and for some stupid reason i messed up on ghost in the shell
i got the trains one but i only watched one episode of it

Kanako Ohno:
2 things
1. A bit stupid, that you need an account to take the quiz
2. I guess the difficulty was okay, got 10/10 on first attempt, only one that I wasn't sure on was "record of lodoss war", since I hadn't seen any of the animes you could choose, but remember seeing it being used in an amv.

I'll give you two usefull pieces of information...

7/10? Geez some of these were vague. I should be glad I got that many.

Zetatrain:

Technically the answer could be Mobile Suit Gundam if they were including the SEED series, lol.

To be fair, if they wanted to include SEED, they would have put Mobile Suit Gundam SEED. Which is the actual title for the show. Mobile Suit Gundam by itself refers to the original series.

EDIT: 10/10 quiz was super easy, then again I like older stuff and have actually paid attention to the scene in the past 2 years.

I scored 100%, with 10 of 10 correct on The Escapist's Can You Name That Anime Plot?.
Take this quiz

Second try.
Macross threw me off, but I got back on it.
Plus it was nice to see the mention of some of the older stuff.

... also Clannad was one answer.
Clannad is always the answer.

First try. I think I watched all the answers except for Hellsing.

Scoring these quizzes don't mean much though. If you haven't watched something, you haven't.

How many people can guess "guy goes after widow, gets haunted by her dead husband"?

Though I don't remember the name of that anime. It was on Noitamina.

daibakuha:

Zetatrain:

To be fair, if they wanted to include SEED, they would have put Mobile Suit Gundam SEED. Which is the actual title for the show. Mobile Suit Gundam by itself refers to the original series.

EDIT: 10/10 quiz was super easy, then again I like older stuff and have actually paid attention to the scene in the past 2 years.

As the one Gundam series I've seen, I chose that answer, and it was the only one I got wrong. But you're right, the answer would have been more specific if that was intended.

mjharper:

As the one Gundam series I've seen, I chose that answer, and it was the only one I got wrong. But you're right, the answer would have been more specific if that was intended.

Macross is a lot more specifically about the pop music, as in it's an actual plot point of the show. I understand your misconception though. SEED sort of plays out like a half-hearted remake of both Gundam and Macross.

You really should check out 0079 and Zeta gundam though, because they are among the greatest mecha anime ever made.

daibakuha:

mjharper:

Macross is a lot more specifically about the pop music, as in it's an actual plot point of the show. I understand your misconception though. SEED sort of plays out like a half-hearted remake of both Gundam and Macross.

You really should check out 0079 and Zeta gundam though, because they are among the greatest mecha anime ever made.

So in what way is Macross about the pop music? I'm picturing musically choreographed mecha fights, piloted by teen idols.

Vorpal_Smilodon:

So in what way is Macross about the pop music? I'm picturing musically choreographed mecha fights, piloted by teen idols.

Basically they use the music like a weapon. The enemies in the show are basically giant hyper advanced humans, one of their ships crash lands on earth in 1999, and the earth unites to face the possible threat of alien invasion. When the aliens see anything culturally significant to humans, like say music, it hurts them. There's a scene where two humans kiss in front of one of them and they almost get sick. Being exposed to all this culture causes many of them to switch sides and broadcasting a song during the final battle stuns most of the enemies they're fighting.

If your interested ADV did an accurate dub of it shortly before they went belly up, and there's a couple of cool novelizations of the show (don't know how well they hold up I read them when I was 13). The novelization uses the terms and names from the old, not accurate dub, for the most part the story is the same though.

Maybe it's just me being too good at being an anime elite genius, but if you write a question that says "Time travel is a bitch" and only one of the answers is an anime about time travel, then it's really too easy. And again at the question "Girl fights student council and clothing" the obvious answer is an anime that is still very alive in recent memory, not to mention there's only one of its kind.

Recognized nearly all the names, though most of the ones I've actually seen are fairly new. The only one that really made me think much at all was the Trains one... I was 100% convinced it was Galaxy Express 999, but it was Baccano. Really the only one with possible multiple answers - All the other ones were obvious for being completely unique from the rest of the options, or the description sold it ("A smiling logo" - Instantly knew it was Ghost in a Shell).

Pretty cool they made an anime quiz regardless.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here