Activision Suing To Stop Brutal Legend Release

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sounds to me like Activision acted rashly to get rid of Brutal Legend. Now EA has taken it and Activision is panicking, thinking they just gave up a moneymaker.
I swear I've seen this kind of thing in gradeschool playgrounds. Kid plays with tetherball, gets bored, walks away. Other kids come in to play with the tetherball, first kid runs back screaming, "Mine! Mine!"

More evidence for my theory that Activision is Satan.

Bloke A: Are you going to eat that?
Bloke B: No.
Bloke A: Yay! *nomnomnom*
Bloke B: Hey, that was mine!

More Fun To Compute:
I hear that Acti-blizzard hate purity, they hate goodness. They don't want virtue to exist anywhere. They want everyone to be corrupt to the bones. Is this correct?

Yes.

Of course, EA are the same, but this time they're doing it in the name of metal, and that's alright.

How dare they omit umlaut ?

High level drama is funny. Lets see what will happen.

On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that people are rooting for EA in the first place after all the shit it's done.

Not that Activision is that much better.

sheic99:

NoMoreSanity:
I can only say FUCK YOU Activision. Going to change their Wikipedia page now...

I can't believe I actually went to Wikipedia to check.

I was going to as well until I read this comment.

Keane Ng:

UPDATE: Tim Schafer himself has responded to news of the suit, and he says this:

"Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it. Oh great, now Beyoncé is going to sue me too."

This guy is always on.

Activision and Beyoncé are so burned.

I hope EA wins this... did I just say that?

Jumplion:
Activision, I think I can safely say SCREW YOU.

Frankly, after seeing gameplay footage of Brutal Legend, I'm not too confident on it. Sure, it's from Tim Schafer and it's hilarious, but it seems to me that it's lacking on the gameplay side...

To be fair they`ve only shown like 2 minutes of gameplay but yeah that they`re showing so little this close to release date is concerning ,i`m still buying it though it has judas priests the hellion/electric eye on the soundtrack ffs!!!

As much as I love a good corporate bitch slap fest, I really hope this doesn't interfere with the release of the game, because it looks like a decent game and it'd be a shame if Activision has a leg to stand on in this case. Because they're acting like a 4 year old, they dropped it because they couldn't milk it for a sequel every year and now that it looks like a potential moneymaker because of all the publicity they want it back?

I suspect that Activision is bluffing to try squeeze some money out of Double Fine, but even if they do have some (unfair) rights I suspect they will settle for a % of the games profits.

timmytom1:

Jumplion:

Frankly, after seeing gameplay footage of Brutal Legend, I'm not too confident on it. Sure, it's from Tim Schafer and it's hilarious, but it seems to me that it's lacking on the gameplay side...

To be fair they`ve only shown like 2 minutes of gameplay but yeah that they`re showing so little this close to release date is concerning ,i`m still buying it though it has judas priests the hellion/electric eye on the soundtrack ffs!!!

And, Ozzy, Rob Halford, Lita Ford, Lemy voicing..and of course Zakk Wylde, Tim Skold, Wolfmother, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and Dio for soundtrack.

oliveira8:

timmytom1:

Jumplion:

And, Ozzy, Rob Halford, Lita Ford, Lemy voicing..and of course Zakk Wylde, Tim Skold, Wolfmother, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and Dio for soundtrack.

When did wylde get involved? and it best be superterrorizer (assuming it`s from his black label society catalogue)

timmytom1:

oliveira8:

timmytom1:

Jumplion:

When did wylde get involved? and it best be superterrorizer (assuming it`s from his black label society catalogue)

That I don't know. Theres also Diamond Head and Motley Crue if not wrong. And Judas Priest Guitarrist..forgot who...is doing extended solos for the soundtrack.

oliveira8:

timmytom1:

oliveira8:

timmytom1:

Jumplion:

That I don't know. Theres also Diamond Head and Motley Crue if not wrong. And Judas Priest Guitarrist..forgot who...is doing extended solos for the soundtrack.

Crue were in the second trailer so i knew they were in there`s actually 2 guitarists in JP (K.KWhatshisname and Glenn Tipton)but i`d read about that on wiki and ammit i`m now building my hopes up so please schafer make this be good ,please....

Lord_Ascendant:
it all comes down to money

again

so so so so so so so SO
true

Fuck activision. fuck them right in the fucking ear. First they buy vivendi and chuck Brutal Legend out on its ear, then when it's getting massive hype and it looks like it's going to be a hit they sue the developers. fuck them, they didn't even put any money into it other than buying the company that had previously been financing the game.

just to make this perfectly clear: if you vote for activision in next year's march mayhem you are a nazi, and you should go die. slowly.

xtreme_phoenix:
Fuck activision. fuck them right in the fucking ear. First they buy vivendi and chuck Brutal Legend out on its ear, then when it's getting massive hype and it looks like it's going to be a hit they sue the developers. fuck them, they didn't even put any money into it other than buying the company that had previously been financing the game.

just to make this perfectly clear: if you vote for activision in next year's march mayhem you are a nazi, and you should go die. slowly.

I think you`ll find that when you put activision`s name next to blizzard`s the "activision"part magically dissapears to 98% of the members here who then procede to wax lyrical about starcraft,warcraft etc.... (having said that WC3 was awesome can i have no4 released before i turn 80 please blizzard,or is it just all WOW and MMO`s these days?)

Keane Ng:
UPDATE: Tim Schafer himself has responded to news of the suit, and he says this:

"Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it. Oh great, now Beyoncé is going to sue me too."

This guy is always on.

I laughed out loud. Mr. Schafer, you should do stand-up. OK, maybe not, but that was hilarious.

On to the actual topic. This is just stupid on Activision's part. I don't know what lawyer convinced them that they might be able to win this suit, but s/he should be fired immediately. I don't see a legal leg to stand on.

RagnorakTres:

Keane Ng:

This guy is always on.

I laughed out loud. Mr. Schafer, you should do stand-up. OK, maybe not, but that was hilarious.

On to the actual topic. This is just stupid on Activision's part. I don't know what lawyer convinced them that they might be able to win this suit-

Jack Thompson?

But seriously, that is an awesome retort by Schafer.

Forgive me for not being schooled in law, but this sounds like a kid on the playground who was building part of a sand castle. The kid who was working on it gets up and leaves because he gets bored. When he comes back, the castle is done and other kid is having fun with it, and the kid that started it gets jealous and stomps on the castle.

RagnorakTres:

On to the actual topic. This is just stupid on Activision's part. I don't know what lawyer convinced them that they might be able to win this suit, but s/he should be fired immediately. I don't see a legal leg to stand on.

Could you please link to the contracts between Activision and DoubleFine which you've obviously read.. assuming you're not just pulling this out of your rear-end.

xtreme_phoenix:
Fuck activision. fuck them right in the fucking ear. First they buy vivendi and chuck Brutal Legend out on its ear, then when it's getting massive hype and it looks like it's going to be a hit they sue the developers.

Not to nitpick but it's the other way around, vivendi bought activision, they're the majority shareholders for Activision Blizzard :)

Kwil:
Could you please link to the contracts between Activision and DoubleFine which you've obviously read.. assuming you're not just pulling this out of your rear-end.

Definitely pulling this out of my rear-end. I'm going on the knowledge of the law I've gleaned from CSI and Law & Order and Judge Judy, all of which I know have a bias and do not necessarily represent the actual legal process. However, based on common sense, what knowledge of the situation I have and the knowledge of the law I have gleaned from the above television shows, I do not see how an unbiased judge would rule in favor of Activision. However, I've seen such stupid lawsuits get through before (see McDonald's versus stupid woman who "didn't know coffee was hot.")

scotth266:
Forgive me for not being schooled in law, but this sounds like a kid on the playground who was building part of a sand castle. The kid who was working on it gets up and leaves because he gets bored. When he comes back, the castle is done and other kid is having fun with it, and the kid that started it gets jealous and stomps on the castle.

A masterful summary if I may say so, sir. Simply masterful. Seriously, that's a perfect analogy for the situation I'm seeing here.

AceDiamond:

RagnorakTres:
On to the actual topic. This is just stupid on Activision's part. I don't know what lawyer convinced them that they might be able to win this suit-

Jack Thompson?

HAH! Wish I'd thought of that...

Hope the judge laughs this out of court.

I am SO buying this game.

I swear that if Activision keeps this game from coming out.......

Wow...to be on EA's side AGAINST Activision is..weird. However, Activision needs to be beat with the envious greedy bat of much pain.

D_987:
If I invested 15 million into a project during these harsh economic times and saw a way to regain some of that money I think I'd follow Activisions suit.

Problem is, they invested $15 mil and ditched it, meaning that they knew they had wasted it long before EA came into the equation.

Now Activision are not just assholes, they're stupid assholes. This ain't getting them fans, I'm sure.

D_987:

jdnoth:

D_987:
these harsh economic times

Yeah. If they get any harsher the Activision executives might not be able to afford the mortgages on their gigantic, undeserved, palaces.

Source?

mortgages? these people are so rich that there multimillion dollar mansion is paid for up front. its a different world where people do not accept the promise of future labor because they own the means of production.

down with the bourgeoisie! down with the proletarian!
hehem...
cough cough...
excuse my outburst...

ACTIVISION WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

You..

..are...

..fucking..

...up...

ROCKTOBER

People, whether activision dropped it or not won't matter - because fucking with Rocktober is the real crime.

I would like to see how this unfolds. Ea, a giant mega company with so much experiance in lawsuits its not even funny anymore, and Activision who are also a large and sucessful company. 3.
FIGHT!

I don't really care so much about EA, I'm more bothered that they're going straight for Double Fine and the game. Maybe Activision thought it could win since Double Fine's relatively small, but come on.

As has been said, all that really matters is the game and the timely release of it. Also, I would not be surprised if Activision notices a drop in sales.

Does anyone know if Infinity Ward has a snailmail address or a paypal account anywhere? That way i can just pirate MW2 and send my $50 directly to them without $49 of it ending up with Bobby and the like.

Dear Activision
weigh it up, the $15 million or % of game profits you MIGHT receive Vs Bad PR (well, really, really bad PR) everyone thinking your a little bitch baby with a skinned knee. if you stop this game i expect the hate to flow thick and fast. if you delay it, same story. should have done your research, people are willing to sell their left nut, or first born child for this game.
Love and kisses (and maybe some hate mail you motherfuckers!) Hip

i can understand Activision being bitter, and wanting to get invited to the party, (i'd be thinking this game is going to sell a crap load of copies) but they tore up their invite and now other guests have been invited, sure they could sneak in, but everyone is going to know, and noone is going to be happy about it.

Lord Krunk:

D_987:
If I invested 15 million into a project during these harsh economic times and saw a way to regain some of that money I think I'd follow Activisions suit.

Problem is, they invested $15 mil and ditched it, meaning that they knew they had wasted it long before EA came into the equation.

Now Activision are not just assholes, they're stupid assholes. This ain't getting them fans, I'm sure.

As I recall, they ditched this game purely because they couldn't make money off exploiting it for DLC, which makes them stupid greedy assholes with no ethics. Total package, eh?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)