Rumor: Valve's E3 Surprise is Source 2, Maybe Half-Life 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Im betting it is the engie update..the final meet the team vids..and a official release of source filmmaker..but that is just my bet.

Hmmm... I must say it would make sense with what we know. I doubt HL3 will happen (although I REALLY want it to) there, but source 2 is definitely a good thing in itself. Hell, that alone could be on the level of HL3. Right? Right? Who am I kidding. Why does this week have to be one where I don't have massive homework and so am caught up in constant speculation? 6 days to go until the canceled portal event, so we'll see soon enough.

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

Found it on a Google search. Its suppose to be a "Perhaps it will look like this" and I'm hoping it will.

Tom Phoenix:

The Bandit:

John Funk:

EcksTeaSea:
If they wont show EP 3 why would they show HL 3?

Well, presumably the thought here is that they realized EP3 was taking too long so decided to expand on it and turn it into a full-fledged game, and the lack of information about EP3 was just designed to conceal this. So when Gabe Newell says "There won't be anything on Episode 3 this year" it's technically true, because they're making HL3.

That's not to say it's TRUE, or that they aren't pipe dreams. But I think that's the interpretation.

What people seem to forget is that this is Valve. You know, those guys that took six years to make Half-Life 2.

If they had been working on Half-Life 3 with an updated Source engine since 2004, then yes. The rumor has much more appeal. But, they haven't. They specifically planned three episodes for Half-Life 2. The only Half-Life 3 they could have been working on is a Half-Life 3 that takes place after Episode 3.

So, here's what people are hoping: Since 2004, Valve has been working on HL3 (presumably with Super Source). After 2007 they realize Episode 3 is taking too long (it would actually make more sense for this to happen after 2008, but I'll be nice and throw you guys a bone). So, between 2007 and now, they scrap the crux of their HL3 plans and decide to integrate Episode 3 into HL3. These are two games with apparently different engines. And now, after doing all that, they're somehow ready to announce it just two and a half years later.

No. That's just insane.

Then again, Valve did release L4D2 in a year, so who knows? Maybe we're already living in the Twilight Zone.

The thing is, Newell said that the three HL2 episodes are essentially Half Life 3:

In a recent interview with Eurogamer, Valve revealed that the just-released Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and the forthcoming Episodes 2 and 3 will serve as the third game in the series. Rather than make gamers wait another six-plus years for Half-Life 3, the developer thought people might appreciate playing the game in smaller chunks if they didn't have to wait as long.

----------

Throughout the interview, Newell refers to the episodes as Half-Life 3, and points out that they aren't considered expansions. Whereas Half-Life was about the G-man grooming Gordon Freeman to be a hero, and 2 was about how the G-man uses his creation, the episodes (Half-Life 3) focus more on the G-man and how he reacts when he loses control of Freeman.

Source: IGN

It's an old interview, but it remains Valve's official stance on the matter. Considering this, it is not out of the realm of possibility that they decided to change that philosophy and make a full-fledged third game instead.

I'm not sure how to respond to this, because I'm not sure how this changes anything at all. Hell, I was already aware that the episodes were Half-Life 3.

I think that it's going to be called the Ce engine, if that's what's announced

:|

:)

:D

:'D

X'D

Jonny49:

The Austin:

Dr. wonderful:
...Please HL3...please HL3...Please HL3!...

...Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360!

...Please HL3 for PS3... Please HL3 for PS3... Please HL3 for PS3!

Most of us Valve fans couldn't care less about a console release of anything Valve because we get the best treatment and content on pc.

Valve is the only company I allow to get away with the amount of time it takes them to release a game because when they finally do release it, it's fantastic.

If they do announce a HL3, im not sure how I would feel. Does that mean there wont be an episode 3?

Will it take its place? Well, ill be watching for news on it but...I hope it isnt just skipping that part

The new engine does kind of make sense seeing as they just upgraded all their older games to the newest version of Source. The new CS:S being in beta at the moment.

It could be them saying "We're done with upgrading the engine now, so have the latest version, we're moving on".

Marik2:

Aylaine:
Hmm, it would be sexy to see...SUPER SOURCE in action. Still, I'd really like some info on Episode 3 a lot more, but didn't they say they wanted to make HL3 basically what Episode 3 was supposed to be anyways? ;O

Well hopefully Super Source will look like this.

That's a really impressive looking image, and some damn good photoshopping.

Meanwhile at Valve...

gmer412:

That's a really impressive looking image, and some damn good photoshopping.

Yup hopefully the new engine is like this or better.

Oh great, the Steam servers are going to crash non stop now if this is true. At least provide a screen shot of what it is. Starcaft Ghost never came out but it at least had screen shots.

No one else seen the rumours about Duke Nukem Forever and Source2?

clicky

The Bandit:
I'm not sure how to respond to this, because I'm not sure how this changes anything at all. Hell, I was already aware that the episodes were Half-Life 3.

And yet, you stated that the only Half-Life 3 they could be working on was one that takes place after the episodes. But considering Newell's stance, that makes no sense, beacuse the episodes are Half-Life 3. If they were working on a full-fledged game that takes place after the episodes, it would be a Half-Life 4 instead. So assuming this upcoming announcement is Half-Life 3, then the only explanation is that it is a Episode 3 turned into a full-fledged game.

I hope that made sense. XD

SOURCE 2 FTW!!!!!

I can't wait for current-gen source engine :D

So... what the hell happened to Episode 3? Is it being morphed into HL3 itself or what?

Source 3 being released with L4D3! Of course!
Well, I'd prefer it.

Damn, whatever they're planning I was hoping to be an actual surprise, if this is true, then I'm coming for you Escapist Magazine

It's a rumour. So I'm not going to get excited. We can all speculate until the cows come home but until Mr. Newell himself announces any one of my ideas, I think I'll just wait. Besides, he's already confirmed the Freeman 14th pic as fake, so I doubt it's got anything to do with Half Life.

Perhaps it's related to Source, perhaps it's a new game entirely. But really, even though Valve has announced that they regret making the games episodic I don't think they'll release Half Life 3 before Episode 3, simply because having a new number after the 'Half Life' part of the title would suggest a new story arc and antagonist. Half Life 2 used Half Life 1 as a position to advance both the plot and the characters, and I think Half Life 3 would do the same, using Half Life 2 and the episodes as a continuing point for progression of plot and characters.

Of course, it might be Half Life 3, but that's the thing: We won't know for sure until next Monday, so I'm just going to wait it out.

Dreams, they are so beautiful... If HL3 released...then I'll cry of joy.

So they're finally updating their engine? That's a bit of a relief, if it's true. I've been wanting them to do that for a few bits now, as they were a bit behind the curve.

And I will laugh if it's a new Team Fortress/Counterstrike game.

Dr. wonderful:
...Please HL3...please HL3...Please HL3!...

IM HAVING NERDGASM ALREADY!

On topic: if it IS a new source engine AND HL 3....I'LL HAVE A BLEEDING HEART ATTACK!

I am voting for A. Hands down. Valve will always wow us..At least..I hope.

Valve is like Blizzard...they dont release stuff til its GOOD...i doubt that if they announce something, that they are going to show something for it, because they really dont like rushing things...at all...

Given that Valve seems to be putting a majority of its efforts into multiplayer-centric games in recent years, I'd be willing to bet it'll be an updated source engine showcased by either a new Counterstrike or Team Fortress.

I'll be pleased and surprised beyond all words if Half-Life 3 is announced, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

John Funk:
Dampening speculation is the fact that Valve's Newell will not be attending E3 - and if this were Half-Life 3, you'd think he'd probably want to be showing up, yeah?#

Appreciate you mentioning that. I mean that almost guarantees no announcement.

Plus, E3 is a console-fest and Valve are major PC fanboys, they'd do it at some other vent to guarantee the largest PC crowd.

BTW, regardless of when the new source engine comes out after GoldSource, and just Source the new one must be called: "SecretSauce"

John Funk:

EcksTeaSea:
If they wont show EP 3 why would they show HL 3?

Well, presumably the thought here is that they realized EP3 was taking too long so decided to expand on it and turn it into a full-fledged game, and the lack of information about EP3 was just designed to conceal this. So when Gabe Newell says "There won't be anything on Episode 3 this year" it's technically true, because they're making HL3.

That would make sense, because I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose the publicity and attention from having thousands of people speculating on whether or not it's going to be Ep. 3 that they announce unless they have a good backup announcement to amaze us all with. Otherwise, I don't think Gabe would have said that.

I just hope they aren't announcing a new franchise. It would start to feel like they'd broken too many promises of sequels (even though they haven't actually announced any recently).

Let's not get hopes up for another week. It may just be the last two "Meet the Team" videos for TF2, DLC for the Left 4 Dead series, or a sequel to either. That said, I really hope it is HL3 or Source 2. Then again, they may pull another Orange Box and have several miniature things to unveil. There's just so much that they can do right now.

I must not get my hopes up...I must not get my hopes up...I must not get my hopes up

Marik2:

Well hopefully Super Source will look like this.

No way in hell can my computer run that. I'll 'settle' for Portal 2, thank you very much.

I CALLED THIS!

I said ages ago on this very site's forums that it would be Source 2.0, and now there's at least some evidence backing me up. Just wanted everyone to know, I did call this first here, but yeah, it was pretty likely from an early point that Source's replacement was on it's way. No developer would use outdated engines if they could develop something better, after all...

B.) things are actually in one hell of a mess under the surface

Meanwhile at Valve...

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

Found it on a Google search. Its suppose to be a "Perhaps it will look like this" and I'm hoping it will.

I'm hoping better. xD

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

I'm hoping better. xD

Hope it would look like Crysis 2.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook