Activision Tried to "Steal" Paintballer's Identity

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I often wonder about evil game companies: why make games when stock trading or real estate scams will make them more money, right? are these people just evil and underconfident? looking for a soft target and stupid? or paid by the conspiracy to dumb down what is widely known as a creative milieu.

Im sure this is somewhat biase, and...something is missing, as Activision wouldnt just do this...straight out the blue with little regard for the creator...

JackRyan64:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Can't we get one positive story about Acti/Blizzard. Just one?

They literally can't be that evil, can they?

Yes, yes they can.

Baldry:
I wonder if this is Activision's theme song?

Personally, I think Captain Linebeck's theme from PH fits their greed more.

They're nowhere near as cool as the Empire anyways.

Hm I don't think that songs evil enough for Activision and reminded me of the dwarfs from snow white and the seven dwarfs, and I guess the empires to badass for activision, how about this.

Well, I don't know whether a paintball videogame can ever feel anything else than pointless, but I respect Hastings for going up against activision all the same.

I feel sorry for activision's lawyers. Every time kotick wants to file a ridiculous lawsuit against someone, they must think "Seriously? We have no case against these guys, we're screwed!". Honestly, I'm beginning to think they play resident evil too much, and have thus begun to copy the umbrella corporation in simply trying to be evil. It's not even greedy money grabbing sometimes, it's just for the sake of being a massive prick!

Jaredin:
Im sure this is somewhat biase, and...something is missing, as Activision wouldnt just do this...straight out the blue with little regard for the creator...

Yeah

I got a feeling its just something in the direction giving up figurehead for a game like we have seen so many times before, and Mr Hastings believing that he is much more important than he is.

Much like if "Tiger Woods PGA Tour" would become "PGA Tour".

This is the feeling I get anyway. Then again it might just be Bobby deciding to screw over a guy because he thinks he can get away with it.

I am increasingly convinced that Activision is Evil, which is weird, because Blizzard doesn't seem to be.

To think, Pitfall is responsible for this.

Tom Goldman:
Activision Tried to "Steal" Paintballer's Identity

...but even I'm starting to feel bad as their reputation seems to be tarnishing.

"Seems to be?" Really? You don't say!

Xzi:
Now that's desperation. Did they really think they were going to make billions off of a paintball game? Or some pro paintballer's name that few gamers have ever heard of?

Bobby Kotick must sit at home literally drooling over the thought of money. He needs to be kicked the fuck out just like BP's CEO was. Except in a harsher manner.

Shot?
OT: It's better to come up with a name instead of stealing identity, because we all know children, stealing is wrong.

Seriously now, NO month or day will ever by the Activision day. When they come out with 'good' news, it's merely dressing, they still intend to screw you over for every dollar you want.

I am glad he won against Activision, they are seriously deserving every crap they get fling at.

I would hate for someone to use "me" for something without my express permission, I'd do the exact same thing he did.

JackRyan64:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Can't we get one positive story about Acti/Blizzard. Just one?

They literally can't be that evil, can they?

Yes, yes they can.

Baldry:

play them at the same time!! its there theme song then.

Activison is actually the bad guys in Avatar, and in every story with an Evil Corperation.

I think what happened is this whole infinity ward thing started blowing open doors. They've probably been doing this sneaky jackass stuff for a long time now, but since people are starting to stand up to them and say "no more" they catch the attention of other victims, and etc.

I hope they burn to the ground and set blizzard free.

Activision is going down so hard...

If it was any other developer, I might care, but Activision deserves it. When will they smarten up and fire Kotick?

Arachon:
I hope Activison crumbles and dies, they are too conservative, but manages to sell unprecedented amounts of games, which means that the rest of the industry will be just as conservative, because publishers all want to follow the leader.

I love you fellow troper.

OT: Really Activision? Really?

Activision are doing a good job of getting all the bad press out at once. We'll have forgotten it all in time for Call of Duty: Black Ops to become the biggest seller of the year.

Quick! Blizzard! Don't go down with this rickety ghost craft known as Activision! You have so much to live for!!!

In any case, daaaaaaamn.

Am I the only one who feels like this could be an awesome action flick?

deathyepl:
To think, Pitfall is responsible for this.

Pitfall was actually the prophecy of Activision's ultimate destruction of themselves.

If the court case is done and there are no appeals in progress... I'd like to take a look at the public records regarding this case.

As far as I know, neither guy seems to be in the right here. Greg Hastings did effectively abandon his franchise as he didn't make another game until Activision wanted to, he still would have gotten royalties by using his name - if I'm not mistaken - and all he'd have to do is sit on his butt doing nothing.

Activision's tone, however, leads me to believe that they found a means to paying him less royalties and just owning the license of the franchise in its entirety. Which isn't so odd considering EA Sports, but if Greg Hastings had the rights to said franchise they certainly wanted to pick a fight.

That's my two cents regarding this. Activision saw an opportunity and wanted to take it, that's just business. Greg Hastings was picking his nose and not making a game with his name in it for... five years. Whereas EA Sports keeps on releasing their sports games once a year, so Activision figured "Why the hell not?" before they were promptly bitch slapped into place. Besides, it seems Activision already released a paintball video game just two years ago.

I'd hate to take the side of Activision, but if I had to pick the bigger douchebag... it's Greg Hastings for just now wanting to make a game using his name. Again though, I don't know all of the specifics and that's why I'd like to take a look at the public records, if I can find them.

Activision is going down in flames. I just hope they don't smolder too long.

So Activision wants games that will sell, really well.

Seeing SO MUCH potental in it they tried to steal this paintball game from Mr. Hastings, to the point of going to court over it.

While I would usually be quick to jump on the Anti-Activision side I find something wrong with this.

GamesB2:
They need to fire Bobby Kotick already D:

Then maybe Activision can become good once more.

Yeah, the court cases are going to start rolling in soon, then he'll be gone. Hopefully.

Some thing tells me a rebel allience is going to be made and steals this new empires plan for the death star.

And this surprises anyone?

PhunkyPhazon:
They still have a reputation to tarnish?

pretty much my thought once I finished reading this article haha

JackRyan64:

Baldry:

the Empire and its theme is WAYYY too cool :P

Draech:
As much as I like to rag on Activision I feel like there is more to this than Mr Hastings is telling us.

Call it a gut instinct, but I dont think that that Activision is stupid enough to just do downright ID theft from a nobody to sell a game nobody will buy.

Activision just wants to make sure no other publisers will get rights to paintball games, theyre slowly stealing all the game franchises until all games are bought from them.

To people saying that Activision will drag Blizzard down, Blizzard Entertainment still exists as a separate entity, while they do colaborate within Activision Blizzard, they are in no way bound to them. The merger is basically them sharing resources and programmers in order to speed up their future projects. That being siad, thank god Activision got their faces slammed, I don't even understand what made them think they could do that.

Draech:
As much as I like to rag on Activision I feel like there is more to this than Mr Hastings is telling us.

Call it a gut instinct, but I dont think that that Activision is stupid enough to just do downright ID theft from a nobody to sell a game nobody will buy.

Well, especially given that "abandoning your franchise" isn't grounds to seize it. Technically abandonware isn't even a legal term, you hold the copyright until you die, and even after that for a fair bit.

danpascooch:

Tom Goldman:
they sent me a letter and they said, 'We feel you've abandoned your franchise, and we're going to commence making games called Greg Hastings Paintball without Greg Hastings.'"

That's hilarious, they might as well have said:

"we don't like you, we feel that we want your franchise, so we're taking it, bitch"

Did they honestly think that was a legal thing to do?

Yeah, now that you mention it, how does a company get off saying "we're taking your name and your franchise" like it's a totally legitimate thing to do. Can you imagine how Activision would have reacted if someone said "We feel you ripped the Call of Duty franchise a new hole, so we're going to make Call of Duty games now, and you can't do anything about it." Because I'll bet Activision would put everything on hold to sue the pants off them.

JackRyan64:

Yes, yes they can.

Baldry:

It isn't cooler, but the Empire one is a bit more dignified, and we can't let have Activision any of that :P

If only we could install DRM on our names.

Fire Kotick already, he's Emperor Palpatine with a brain defect.

Enigmers:

danpascooch:

Tom Goldman:
they sent me a letter and they said, 'We feel you've abandoned your franchise, and we're going to commence making games called Greg Hastings Paintball without Greg Hastings.'"

That's hilarious, they might as well have said:

"we don't like you, we feel that we want your franchise, so we're taking it, bitch"

Did they honestly think that was a legal thing to do?

Yeah, now that you mention it, how does a company get off saying "we're taking your name and your franchise" like it's a totally legitimate thing to do. Can you imagine how Activision would have reacted if someone said "We feel you ripped the Call of Duty franchise a new hole, so we're going to make Call of Duty games now, and you can't do anything about it." Because I'll bet Activision would put everything on hold to sue the pants off them.

Gee you think? Activision puts everything on hold to sue the pants off of people who jaywalk in front of their building.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here