Apple Patents Personalized Videogame Comic Books

Pages PREV 1 2

So it's basically machinima put into book form. Way to think outside the box, Apple.
(I would have to have had one hell of an epic game session to want to spend the extra dough to have it recorded like that. Otherwise I can save the money and just keep it in my brain.)

CanadianWolverine:
Whatever, I like sketching, inking and colouring my own comic books, far more enjoyable than having someone retell me the story choices in a game I just saw. And I can do that for a lot less than someone selling me the same story twice.

Now, if they can convince me that there is going to be some serious artistic license taken with it for more imaginative narratives, maybe I would see it being worth something.

Are you thinking what I think you are thinking? (Applied to Mass Effect even...)

samsonguy920:

CanadianWolverine:
Whatever, I like sketching, inking and colouring my own comic books, far more enjoyable than having someone retell me the story choices in a game I just saw. And I can do that for a lot less than someone selling me the same story twice.

Now, if they can convince me that there is going to be some serious artistic license taken with it for more imaginative narratives, maybe I would see it being worth something.

Are you thinking what I think you are thinking? (Applied to Mass Effect even...)

Heck, that didn't even cross my mind I am ashamed to say, when I was thinking artistic license I was thinking sorta along the lines of those Penny Arcade online comics that were done for Fallout 3.

If they could show my Predator/Indiana Jones sort of character sneaking around and poking his nose into everything and assassinating with a whisper from my Perferator while cloaked in the Chinese Stealth Suit any thing that go bump in the Capital Wastes nights left and right but with ridiculous artistic license rather than a Let's Play series of youtube videos, then they might have something, otherwise its repackaging of story bits I got from the characters already, sorta like as if it was cut scenes from the FPS XIII or something.

Ok see, stuff like this and the Penny Arcade strips, if there was a whole freaking book made like that based on your character from Fallout, that would be worth something even to other people just from the artistic creative and storytelling merit inherent in comics.

I would probably get that for StarCraft 2. Especially my first play-through (which I consider to be my favorite).

That's actually really cool. I'd definitely get a comic version of my Mass Effect playthrough.

Hmm I think we're going to need to see more complicated games before this is worth while doing. A few RPGs might fit the bill, but I'd not want to shell out cash to get a comic, even for the games I've really enjoyed; nothing feels unique enough to me yet.

Anyway, does this mean Mr. Jobs is finally taking games seriously? I guess the app store profits finally woke him up...

Gift.

An interesting idea, but this kinda smacks of that "filling-in the speech bubbles of pre-drawn panels" thing which is usually meant to appeal more towards 10-year-olds and /b/tards. Over-all, it sounds like a completely pointless gimmick that's just meant to try and scam a few gullible dollars out of the consumer. Having unique choices in a game is one thing, it's an interactive medium, but in comics its completely needless. If I could tell a story good enough to put in a comic, I'd be pitching ideas to DC and Marvel, not sitting on my duff playing games.

dathwampeer:
Apple can patent my left nut.

They would if they had the chance and then charge you licensing costs for using it.

Why should I want to READ in static what I just experienced in while PLAYING it myself?

And I donīt think that it can recreate THAT few moments when taking out that squad of enemies with your last handful of 12gauge shells plays out just perfectly (or the opposite) or something.

dathwampeer:

The Amazing Tea Alligator:

dathwampeer:
Apple can patent my left nut.

They probably can, if they haven't already tried.

Sad thing is. They probably would try if they thought there was any fiscal advantage.

Sadder yet is that the courts would allow it.

I think this *might* work, but I could see my 'comic' being filled with a whole lot of wandering around trying to find whatever and "probe away".

my will be 500 pages long due to the amount of lag from lack of a dedicated GFX card.

BloodRed Pixel:
Why should I want to READ in static what I just experienced in while PLAYING it myself?

And I donīt think that it can recreate THAT few moments when taking out that squad of enemies with your last handful of 12gauge shells plays out just perfectly (or the opposite) or something.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, do they think we have such short attention spans that we can't remember what we just did in the game that we need visual aids to help us along?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here