Teenager Kills Mother, Commits Suicide Over Gaming Argument

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Dear Jesus...really, I think everyone can't really blame video games for this one,no matter how much they are inclined. That kid is FUCKED UP

Its one thing to murder someone. Hell, its one thing to murder someone over something insignificant. But your own god damned mother? The person who raised you, fed you, brought you into this world?

Seriously... I doubt anyone is that out of their fucking knackers.

Cue more prattling on about how games were directly responsible for all sorts of horrible behavior.

Oh hello, Fox News, so nice of you to join us.

Lets Ban Video Games from Korea. Evan better lets just Ban Korea

SomeLameStuff:
Cue Fox News in three... two... one...

Seriously, why the heck does this crap keep happening?

Maybe because there might actually be a pattern?

What the fuck is wrong with South Korea, this is like the 5th gaming related murder I have heard from them. They really can`t handle it. Imagine how bad they would be if you gave them beer or weed.

Matt_LRR:

Andy Chalk:
"I was scolded for game playing and did what I shouldn't have done to my mother," it read. "I am sorry."

The police apparently suspect that the boy committed suicide because he felt guilty about murdering his own mother

Ace detectives working this case.

-m

Pffft BWAHAHAHA damnit I was actually mortifyed by such a story until you lightened it up...

Seriously though that just disturbs me he'd do that.

RatRace123:
Alright, this incident happened because of some disturbed kid, not because of games.
You'd have to be FOX NEWS to view it any other way.

fixed it there for ya

RatRace123:
Alright, this incident happened because of some disturbed kid, not because of games.
You'd have to be FOX NEWS to view it any other way.

i fixededed it

subject_87:
Cue more prattling on about how games were directly responsible for all sorts of horrible behavior.

Oh hello, Fox News, so nice of you to join us.

*siiiiiiiiiigh* This crap couldn't happen at a worse time... well it seems now that we have more BS evidence to say that videogames are bad rather than a lack of anger management and self control...

Matt_LRR:

I was going to say the same thing but thought it might be a little cheap and easy. Thanks for relieving me of the burden.

SomeLameStuff:

What do you mean, "keep happening?" Are you aware of another child who killed a parent over a fight about videogames?

Matt_LRR:

-m

Police treat every death as suspicious until proven otherwise, as they should.

BrunDeign:

You know quite frankly, I have to disagree with you guys on this. There are times when video games are to blame. Of course the video game didn't mentally turn him into a murderer. It did however make him addicted to it to the point where he murdered his own mother over the thought that she'd take it away from him. It, quite literally, can be compared to a drug in that regard.

Of course this is only a rare case and seems to be unique to places where addiction in this form is unusually common (like South Korea). The rest of the times video games are involved in murders are because the murderers are psychotic, mentally fractured, or just plain aholes. Like the guys who murdered their "friend" because he somehow cheated at Madden. There's no explaining that.

This murder here though can, sadly, be attributed to too much gaming.

It's his addiction and his inability to deal with his anger that caused it, NOT games.

If I argue with someone about what resteraunt we're going to eat at and we get into an argument for two hours, at the end of which I kill them, are the resteraunts to blame? No. My inability to control myself when someone doesn't do things my way is to blame.

If the kid and his mother were arguing about a party he REALLY wanted to go to and the same things happened who would be to blame? Would we be seeing people say 'he had been going to parties regularly for 2-3 years now, so he was a party addict. Parties caused this!'. No.

A more general example - I shoot someone in the head. What was the cause of their death? Me or the fact that guns exist? If I didn't have the gun I would have used a knife or a lump of wood - is it the knifes fault? How about the tree?

Think back to when your parents told you that you couldn't do something you really wanted to do for what you saw as no reason, then and consider how you felt? Furious, angry, wanting to punch something etc etc. We've all been there for a million different reasons. Teenage boys more so then anyone. However most of us control ourselves despite feeling like we'd love to take our anger out on someone.

This murder can be attributed to a teenagers inability to deal with not getting his own way and the anger and frustration this caused him. The suicide can be attributed to the kid calming down, realising what he did and not being able to face it. The fact that he killed her violently during an argument supports this.

In all honesty, I'm not surprised. I mean yeah, as soon as I read the headline I felt shocked and sad, but then went back to normal right after I started to read the article.

As unfortunate as this is it is somewhat of a "welcome" change from the normal "murder over video games" stuff. In most cases the child feels no remorse, in this one, at least, he knew what he did was wrong albeit too late to help. Thats not to say this was a good thing but its different.

the girl killed the mother and brother and staged a fake murder suicide

Gaming is bad blah blah
Turns people into murderers blah blah

No, you're fuckin' wrong.
The real issue is people who are mentally unstable. They're the ones who shouldn't be playing video games, because someone without recurring problems or mental issues wouldn't have done this.

Actually, come to think about it, people have been known to kill for stupid reasons...
It just takes one mundane problem to set someone's anger off that's been building up for days, months, or even years...
Problem is, if that thing happens to be an argument about video games it's going to be plastered much more over the news than, say, road rage, or something else...

At first I was all, "How the hell could this happen?" then i read "Korea" and was all "ooooooohh kay, makes sense now".
But seriously, this sucks. At least the kid realized what he did was wrong. To bad he had to kill himself too.

............fuck

And we were JUST trying to gain some headway...

Though this IS Korea...maybe we can argue that...hmmm

Seriously though...this is crap. It's exactly the WRONG press, especially because it's obvious that he's not 100% right, w/ or w/o games. That happened to be the argument...and unless we find a shrine to Manhunt 2 in there, I doubt they were why he snapped, maybe it was the fact that he was in an argument? No, it was the games? Of course =/

RatRace123:
You'd have to be an idiot to view it any other way.

You mean Fox News?

"violent Internet games."
playing violent videogames

So what was he playing? Hello Kitty MMO?

Sorry guys, I'm calling bullshit on the 'Asia' comments. Asia if you haven't realised is a big place. Most of this stuff happens in Korea, because they work 6 days a week, divorce is frowned upon and kids have no time to be kids (night classes and holiday classes taking up time when most kids would be playing and developing common social skills).

Most people are highly strung and in shitty relationships they can't get out of, I found Korea to be one of the most miserable places on Earth and I spent three years of my life living in Middlesbrough.

RatRace123:

Thats a very close minded, unscientific view. Obviously shrouded in bias.

You clearly opened this article to post and not to read.

I never hear of people killing each other over farmville, Tetris or Galaxians.

It seems obvious to me that gaming becomes addictive. This is undeniable. While it is the individuals fault what can really be said here:
Its up to the parents to decide what there kids do!
She tried and died.
It comes down to disturbed individuals!
Clearly they are disturbed, it is the cause that matters, here it could well be videogames.

This is rather tragic, I wish the girl and the dad the best.

RatRace123:

Again, Fox News.

Also

According to CBS, South Korea estimates that roughly two million of its citizens are "internet addicts."

No shit! Their national sport is Starcraft. -_-

luckycharms8282:

SomeLameStuff:

Maybe because there might actually be a pattern?

The pattern is that people are being violent and video games are popular. Of course one or two murderer's will have played video games, the same as one or two will have watched a movie.

SomeLameStuff:

*Wall Smash* I'm Sean Hannity. VIDEO GAMES ARE EVIL! THEY ARE MURDER SIMULATORS! GRAAAAAH!

let that be a warning to all mothers out there. if you scold your children about violent video games, they'll murder you. I know I get a little murdery when I don't get my headshot quota for the day

Naw jeez. Cue stupid Fox story in 3...2...1...

Didn't someone kill their daughter because of farmville? dude someone totally killed their infant over farmville. I like the shrouded in bias line. we're all totally doing it right now

stinkychops:

RatRace123:

It seems obvious to me that gaming becomes addictive. This is undeniable. While it is the individuals fault what can really be said here:
She tried and died.
Clearly they are disturbed, it is the cause that matters, here it could well be videogames.

Dude some mom in florida killed her infant because he was crying. an old case of the babyshakes. seems similar to the choking rage does it not? maybe there is a pattern with crazy people and loving online games, violent or otherwise?

I think if this were to be brought up in a serious manner to argue that games cause deaths, one should simply quote pages like these http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html

Whilst I don't think games 'caused' this I certainly think his addiction to gaming did.

Maybe we need to accept that gaming is addictive in a similar way to gambling. It sounds stupid but if it's treated like a proper addiction rather than a 'grow some balls' issue maybe less people will get so wrapped up in it.

So in conclusion: Games themselves didn't do this. Him being a gamer? Sorry but yeah, quite possibly.

dibblywibbles:
Didn't someone kill their daughter because of farmville? dude someone totally killed their infant over farmville. I like the shrouded in bias line. we're all totally doing it right now

stinkychops:

RatRace123:

She tried and died.

Dude some mom in florida killed her infant because he was crying. an old case of the babyshakes. seems similar to the choking rage does it not? maybe there is a pattern with crazy people and loving online games, violent or otherwise?

Obviously I have bias in my post simply due to word choice but I'm trying to not draw any conclusions. It is quite possible that violent videogames are bad for mental health. I play and enjoy them. Its still possible.

I'm saddened from hearing about the farmville thing, although I think its more likely that we can put that down to the established baby blues. Its possible however.

I personally would agree with you and say that violent or mentally ill people take solice in escapism. However I'm not going to assume the relationship and I think people should be careful before they start carving their own beliefs into public opinion.

ok, new law.

People who do this stuff because of video games will be thrown in a hole and forgotten by society. I am tired of all of this stuff that is happening. Why can't people just control them selfs!?!?!? It makes me so pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would make a "kills person" joke here, but that would just be wrong.

Andy Chalk:

SomeLameStuff:

What do you mean, "keep happening?" Are you aware of another child who killed a parent over a fight about videogames?

Actually, yes. Wasn't there that one person who strangled his with a controller cord?

Well at least I know a few that TRIED to kill their parents.

Not me though...

>.>

<.<

*STABS*

zombiejoe:
ok, new law.

People who do this stuff because of video games will be thrown in a hole and forgotten by society. I am tired of all of this stuff that is happening. Why can't people just control them selfs!?!?!? It makes me so pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would make a "kills person" joke here, but that would just be wrong.

As I said above, maybe it's time to admit gaming is as addictive as any other rewarding behaviour and stop treating it as a 'nut up or shut up' situation. Frankly it seems obvious to me that a lot of people have problems with perspective in regards to gaming and if it's treated as a serious possibility rather than getting the "lol, gaming addiction?" response we might be able to help those addicts better regulate their lives.

Requiescat in pace

Its a sad day to see him do that to his mother and to himself

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook