Man Attaches Cyborg Camera Implant to His Skull

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Halceon:
Pointless tech-fappery. Now, if he'd hooked it up to his visual cortex, he'd be getting my kudos. Now, only sneers.

Same. This is pretty pointless.

Seems like a load of arty wank.

I saw the article and thought "Wow some crazy bastard rigged up a camera to his brain so he can see behind him" then I skimmed the article and was sad.

I would laugh if half of the pictures were of people flipping the bird becaquse they noticed the camera.
"You pretenous artsy fucker! Raaaaw!"

Controversy making up for lack of ability apparently

Eating isn't a smart thing to do whilst reading this, but a good idea and should come back with some good results.

I can't help but feel like most of the people commenting on this article don't quite understand the concept of 'art'. Yes it's an obscure way of performing such a task, but that's the point. It transforms something from being relatively uninspiring into a whole new concept, and that's what art is about; an idea. Aesthetic isn't the main idea of this experiment, it never was; he doesn't care how boring most of the pictures will inevitably be. I would think it was about those few photos that do contain something of interest. I don't know, I could be looking into this too much, maybe it's just my inner art student talking. Maybe I'm so tired right now (It's 11:00 pm), that i'm missing the point completely. I don't know. All I know is that this is a cool idea.

/EndRant

michael_sturtridge92:
I can't help but feel like most of the people commenting on this article don't quite understand the concept of 'art'. Yes it's an obscure way of performing such a task, but that's the point. It transforms something from being relatively uninspiring into a whole new concept, and that's what art is about; an idea. Aesthetic isn't the main idea of this experiment, it never was; he doesn't care how boring most of the pictures will inevitably be. I would think it was about those few photos that do contain something of interest. I don't know, I could be looking into this too much, maybe it's just my inner art student talking. Maybe I'm so tired right now (It's 11:00 pm), that i'm missing the point completely. I don't know. All I know is that this is a cool idea.

/EndRant

His concept is still very uninspiring. It does nothing but act as a tool for him to get media exposure for his project. If he had just used a cap with a camera in it, it wouldn't have been as attention grabbing.

I think this is another example of why such modern art is such an absolute waste of time and money. He has done absolutly nothing impressive and nothing to help move mankind forward. All he's done is drilled a massive target onto the back of his head, one that if he pisses the wrong person off is going to cause him alot of trouble.

And since he's going to be sleeping for probably eight hours a night, that's going to be 480 pictures of his bedroom/pillow/celing a night.

What.

Camera in his head, I think there's something wrong with his head more like. Friggin nutjob.

Yet another prove that the definition of art... Is not real.
Art is like multiculturalism, you can do anything under that word and get away with it, if someone tries to stop you, hes automatically wrong.

Nouw:
Attaching a camera to the back of your head for art? I can think of 5 better uses for that camera, starting with helping the blind!

It's just an unconnected camera. It can't do anything for a blind person.

Now if he could succesfully connect it to his brain that would have been world breaking news, but he can't, obviously.
He might aswell have put a microcam on a hairband for all it does. Would have been less intrusive atleast.

PhunkyPhazon:
So basically, we now have a cyborg in our midst?

SWEEEEEEEET

Don't give this idiot the credit. give it to this guy: http://kstp.com/article/stories/S1840405.shtml

Also as for the art argument. IMHO (humble) This is art for people who mistake marketing as art. (some people argue it is) This is not about the installation this is about the artist which to me is not really art as celebrity culture. You show someone a Pollack painting and they'll probably say "this is art?" you tell them ABOUT Pollack and they will buy the shit out of that painting. This dudes project is great self promotion but he is no different than that guy on youtube smoking a pipe.

Man, art is stupid sometimes.

I guess it's an interesting idea, but he just seems like the kind of "artist" who will do anything to get some attention.

But hey, perhaps I'm wrong.

Nouw:
Attaching a camera to the back of your head for art? I can think of 5 better uses for that camera, starting with helping the blind!

How would you help blind people with a camera?

OT: I somehow find it awesome.

well this gives a new meaning to the phrase "having eye,s in the back of your head" I read about the project I didnt think it literary meant IMPLANTING it I though he had it strapped to a cap or helmet

It reminds me of the Spy Update.

I'd just wear a hat or something lol

I predict 9 other people will be somewhat like him...

But only the 10th will live...

[/reference]

I guess he's never heard of a head-strap.

This is cultural idiocy at it's best. We live in a time where some attention hungry kid who likes to stir up controversy will implant a camera into his skull, expecting everyone to take him at face value as an artist, or making some kind of cultural difference. I'm sorry, that is not art. It's an insult to true art around the world, just as most types of "Modern Art".

"I don't like this guys idea, he must be some sort of asshole."
I've come to expect that kind of statement from forum members but I'm surprised how many articles read like that. Escapist, you used to be good.

"He could have just worn a helmet cam, but that'd be too obvious to bystanders and wouldn't work for the premise of the project, it seems."
as opposed to the super covert lump of metal with fucking cable attached he's got stuck back there now?
when artists do something for no other reason than to 'comment on' something they really do seem to come out with a load of fucking bullshit.

also thats not a goddamn cyborg camera anymore that a watch is a cyborg clock or a calculator i taped to my arm is a cyborg calculator. if say he had a device wired into his brain that could record images from his eyes or even just a camera wired to a nerve so it would take a picture when he experience a particular stimulus that would make him/it a cyborg because there would be some functional interaction between the cybernetic and the organic (that being where the name cyborg originates).

To comment with the words of a very great man, this sounds "pants on head retarded." To me it just seems creepy. I couldn't stop cringing while looking at the photo. I mean has a camera installed in his head! I cringe at the very thought of needles from from shots and having my blood taken so this just sounds....ugh *passes out*

That...sounds painful. /shudder

Maybe someone's pointed this out already, but he didn't actually implant the camera; the implant is a mount for the camera. I'm sure he can take the actual camera off whenever he wants, but the mount? Yeah, that's stuck there. I suppose he could put other things back there if he wanted. A turn signal? A TV for people behind him on the bus? Come to think of it he should just attach all kinds of stuff to it and document that. the camera idea is only okay (nothing you couldn't do better with a ThinkGeek tshirt), but public reaction to other attachments might at least make for good entertainment, if not good art.

I don't really think it should be called "cybernetic", when in practice just duct taping it to the head would do the same thing.

I wanted to read about a camera hardwired directly to the brain. I was disappointed.

Someone should have told him he could have gotten the same thing accomplished this a hat mounted camera.

All this technological advancement, and yet vending machines still dispense orange soda after pressing the lemon-lime button.

Icarus has found you.

Everyone saying this is "pointless" has no idea what art is.

Art itself is pointless. Art is made for the sake of making art. Pseudointellectuals may blather on and on about "social commentary" or "hidden messages", but real artists don't think about any of that crap before they start.

I'm not saying this is great art. Quite frankly, I think it's pretentious and falls very far short of greatness. The very fact that he had some "message" in mind beyond "hey this seems like a pretty cool idea" when he started certainly doesn't help his credibility in my mind either. But it wouldn't be news if he weren't the first person to do it, and to do something new simply for the sake of doing something new is what drives an artist.

I'm not expecting any of you to change your minds, though--they don't teach this kind of thinking in school. It only gets in the way of believing everything someone in authority tells you.

Michael O'Hair:
All this technological advancement, and yet vending machines still dispense orange soda after pressing the lemon-lime button.

Vending machines are stocked by humans. No amount of technological advancement can stop people from being dumb. :/

The benefit of photography and most art is that you can take the picture or draw the image that you want at the time that you want. This guy's asking for trouble ... especially if it's being beamed to wherever without him being able to stop it ... once a minute for a year ...525600 files, the cam didn't look too HD so we'll round it to 1.5 mb give or take. 657 gb of data if the cam is any decent.

THINK OF THE DATA CHARGES YOU CRAZY MAN.

Ethylene Glycol:
But it wouldn't be news if he weren't the first person to do it, and to do something new simply for the sake of doing something new is what drives an artist.

I'm not expecting any of you to change your minds, though--they don't teach this kind of thinking in school. It only gets in the way of believing everything someone in authority tells you.

You're right about a handful of artists, but some of us just want to create something that you don't USUALLY see. If you're that type of hipster artist who must do something no one has done, well I truly pity those people. (reminds me of http://hipsterhitler.com/) The worst is the overly elaborate machines that create a scribble on a page. Even worse than that though would to have it be titled "Untitled" ... f*ck that is annoying.

I hope the best of human art isn't here yet ... I mean if you're using Duchamp's readymade of a urinal as art, then I'd hope we're not at that point.

I will be surprised if a cyborg's backward-facing camera eye will make any difference in the art world. Also, notice how he needed to use 'I' instead of 'Eye'? ... I bet he has nothing but apple products surrounding him at all times.

I laugh at the foolish iSlave.

This_ends_now:
I think it's kind of funny that everyone here supports the extremist nature of transexuals, but when someone wants to put a camera on the back of their head, suddenly he's a crazy son of a bitch. Maybe he should have just gotten a vagina surgically attached to his forehead. Seems like most people would have been more accepting of that type of bat shit insanity.

Why? So he could be literally skullfucked?

(Sorry, couldn't help that.)

You know what this is going to get him? A load of weird looks. There's a fine line between art and stupidity. There's no reason for this, none at all. At the end of the year, he'll have a bad headache, no friends, and the biggest collection of pictures of people with their middle fingers up and tongues sticking out that the world's ever seen.

Ok... pet peeve its not "cyborg" unless you can interact internally with it damnit!!!

Anton P. Nym:
*gagging noises*

What an amazingly stupid waste. This isn't going to advance machine/machine-assisted vision at all; this is just a tarted-up webcam hooked up to a 4G digital modem, and could easily have been done without surgical invention by someone with more imagination. The guy's just a really extreme version of a 'cam-whore.

Count me out of the gallery opening, thank you.

-- Steve

Because clearly, surgically attaching a camera to the back of your head is cheaper, easier, and more practical, than carrying around a camera, a watch, and alot of extra film, and taking a picture every minute.
Sacrificing his time to take a good picture every minute for the sake of art? UNACCEPTABLE.
Sacrificing his body and alot of time to take really shitty pictures every minute for the sake of art? LETS DO IT!

wammnebu:

KeyMaster45:
I just smile and nod when they show me a canvas that looks like it was left in a pre-school classroom during finger-painting hour and tell me its some angsty statement on the human condition.

THANK YOU for saying that, do you know how many times ive felt that and they say you just dont comprehend art, they dont comprehend shapes! art seems to mean now the act of seeing what you can get away with selling as prestigious.

I still contend that I can shit on a canvas and make better "art"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or