Newell: Valve to Replace Single-Player With "Single-Player Plus"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

It could be horrible. It could be. But this message is so damn vague, it could also be the holy grail of awesome gaming. We haven't really gotten any hard info at all. I'm gonna bitch if it's horrible when it shows up, or praise it if it's good. But until we actually know something, i'm not gonna start finding out what i think.

Remember when, in King of Kong, they share high scores on a website?
I'm pretty sure single player + isn't something new. Also, it won't destroy the games or something equally ridiculous.

Edit - I also don't understand the purpose of making dota 2 when Heroes of Newerth exists. Those of us who grew tired of leavers and shitty noobs ruining games on dota moved on. We are happy. We don't need anything else.

Am I the only person who thinks, much as I love many of the people in my social circle, that they should all @$%# off when I'm playing a single-player game?

I don't want to compare my score, my level completion time, or my achievements with my friends; if I did, I'd do so in person. I don't want to feel pressured to play a single-player game any differently from the way I'm doing it, experiencing it in my own way. I don't want companies trying to use what my friends are playing as a hook to get me to buy more games. I don't want my game to feel the need to offer me additional hints or lower the difficulty based on someone else's bottleneck spots. I don't want Mass Effect 3 to tell my maiden aunt that I had a quickie with Talia in the shower.

There are tons of games out there with varying levels of complexity that allow me to experience all types of interaction with other players if I want that. What I want from my single-player games, which is increasingly difficult to find for any number of reasons, are games that don't take it as a given that I have an Internet connection!

Gabe

.....that entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people. That's the thing we're trying to say."

Sorry Gabe, Ill disagree with you there, because that is highly debatable given how much of a determent in many cases multiplayer through history has been. Everything from the early MMO griefers, to the spoiled xbox live kids, to the Casual uprising and so forth. The notion that social connectivity is a good thing for gaming is another one of those things that "sounds good on paper"

ya ya ya valve just make with the episode 3

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who likes to keep his 'social networking' strictly in Facebook. I don't really want my games to integrate with it. I can socialize when I'm not gaming.

Someone's been watching too many ponies...

Though I can't deny, co-op mode on Portal 2 was WAY more fun than single player...but that could have just been because I was playing with a good friend...

Bah, I don't want my single player games to be social >:(

But whatever, if Valve goes in that direction, it's not like I'll never get to play a single player game again. Who knows? I might even enjoy whatever they do, as long as killing a boss doesn't make a message pop up telling me to share my victory using a Facebook wall post.

Awesome74:
I was reminded of something akin to Demon's Souls. That wouldn't be so bad.

That was immediately what sprang to mind for me too, but probably because my nephew was raging at Demon's Souls after his first session playing it just after the PSN outage started. =p

These statements just come off as obnoxious to me.

Maybe I don't WANT to have to rely on other people to enjoy a full gaming experience. Maybe I LIKE playing by myself.
Ever think of that, old fatty fat fat fat Gabe?

They better damn well continue to make games that you can complete in full by yourself. Like I've said before, I have several unfinished Portal 2 co-op levels because I cannot find anyone to play with!
Other people suck sometimes. Other people are unreliable. I'm not in a college dorm where I can just walk across the hall and say "Hey lets play." Most of the people on my Steam friends list are random people from the internet I've never met IRL. Most of my IRL friends on your precious Facebook do NOT play video games. Therefore I cannot depend on people to always play games with. Sometimes the entire reason I play a game is to block out all other people!

Out of my 500+ friends on Facebook, guess how many regularly play video games?
like 4
Out of those 4, who also plays on PC?
one
Out of that one, is he ever online or playing the same game as me?
no

TheRealCJ:

monkey_man:

TheRealCJ:
God no. I can't think of anything worse!

I play single player games because I HAVE no connected friends. I only have about 2 irl friends on Steam. The rest are either console players or aren't gamers.

Hell, I haven't even played the Portal 2 co-op yet, because my choices are that limited.

Dont get me wrong, I like multiplayer, but a multiplayer game where I can just dive right in and play, with having to "know somebody".

Wanna do Co-op with me? :D

Oh monkey! You've made me the happiest boy in the world!

Haha, just add me on steam. My steam should be on my profile.IF not (look away everyone else)

A man can't be certain enough now Can he?

And what about the NOT socially connected gamer. What about the people who are WERE perfectly happy not having other dip-shits to talk to, where I could go at MY own pace and drink in the game. I don't get that with other people. Hell, just having others observe the game with me takes away from it. That was part of the brilliance in not having Chell talk; my taking in this crazy world was unobstructed.

I don't like talking to people in real life, why the hell would I Facebook, IM, or Twitter? Between inflating delusions of importance and obsessive extremes, those three are the greatest evils that has spawned from the internet age. I don't mind the art of conversation, commenting, and there certainly are people I find reflecting their occasional input enjoyable, but I have no interest in tracking the movements, minutia, and Every Damn Thought of them; and even less interest in reciprocating my own existence back at them. I'd be happy letting the craziness (that really is a fact of life with these tools) do their thing while I stay out, like I avoid multiplayer modes. I would, if I wasn't bombarded by a hivemind "join us" culture that has decided I was the freak and won't rest until I have been soundly broken and assimilated.

There are plenty of games, tools, and networks already developed for this type of gamer. You don't need to retool every experience so they're being catered to, they already are.

Probably stupid integration with Facebook... LAME.
Good thing I'm not a Valve fan.

monkey_man:

TheRealCJ:

monkey_man:

Wanna do Co-op with me? :D

Haha, just add me on steam. My steam should be on my profile.IF not (look away everyone else)

Haha, fun times.

Just a heads up though, I've got a killer work week, so it'll probably saturday night or so (my time) before I'll get the chance to play.

"Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and want to have that connected as well,"

Hi,yeah, Gabe, do you know WHY my Dad only plays single player games, and why I prefer them as well? Because people are morons. I love games where I don't have to deal with a single other person if I don't want to. If I want to bother with other people, then I use multiplayer games on purpose. If I'm doing single player, I want to do SINGLE player.

If this becomes a big trend in gaming and every game requires friends to play, me and my dad will basically stop buying games. That's all there is to it. I'll just enjoy playing older games, and so will my dad. Hell, he still plays Resident Evil 4 for the Game Cube and enjoys it. The fact of the matter is, given the choice between forced social interaction or playing old games, we will play old games.

Gabe Newell then went home and ate an oil drum full of KFC.

Enjoy the longer wait for Episode 3!

TheRealCJ:

monkey_man:

TheRealCJ:

Haha, fun times.

Just a heads up though, I've got a killer work week, so it'll probably saturday night or so (my time) before I'll get the chance to play.

That won't be an issue, since I have a relatively busy week aswell ;D
Also, Epic thread derailment ftw XD

I so wish games like Fallout 3 had a free-mode where I could bring a friend in along with me...I don't see why not, as a human-controlled companion you know

Dr. wonderful:
How about this Newell.

Just finish making Half-life 3 or episode 3 THEN you can do whatever you want.

Please? I'll send you a cake? 2 chocolate cakes?

lol everyone's thinking it, you're just saying it :p but yeahhhh until Valve does that half our minds are barely listening to them ;p

Well it's nice to hear that as they get older, companies either die off or get handsy.

Bioware was bad enough when the vampire that is EA bit it in the scrotum, but Valve is turning all Googol on us now. If I wanted to play a game with other people, I'd play a multiplayer game. Don't bring facebook, etc. into my single-player game or I just wont buy or play your game.

As they look over the world's painful panorama of war and terror, some people conclude that it is too late, that no amount of information or activity could possibly answer the dissolute barmpots who perpetuate harmful stereotypes. But those who take that pessimistic view understand neither Valve nor its current rung on the ladder to total power. It is requisite, even in this summary sketch, to go back a few years to see how Valve's grunts resist seeing that Valve's bons mots are intended to get us all on board the prætorianism train. They resist seeing such things because to see them, to examine them, to think about them and draw conclusions from them is to create and nurture a true spirit of community. Aside from the fact that Valve is a heterogeneous conglomeration of everything vengeful, inaniloquent, and libidinous, I want to live my life as I see fit. I can't do that while Valve still has the ability to make a cause célèbre out of its campaign to substitute pap for art. Valve believes that it is a perpetual victim of injustice. The real damage that this belief causes actually has nothing to do with the belief itself but with psychology, human nature, and the skillful psychological manipulation of that nature by Valve and its brain-damaged apostles.

Valve spouts the same bile in everything it writes, making only slight modifications to suit the issue at hand. The issue it's excited about this week is defeatism, which says to me that I recently informed Valve that its torchbearers put the gods of heaven into the corner as obsolete and outmoded and, in their stead, burn incense to the idol Mammon. Valve said it'd "look further into the matter." Well, not too much further. After all, it has not increased our safety, security, or happiness by sentencing more and more people to poverty, prison, and early death. All it's increased by doing that is the girth of its bloated ego.

I'm not very conversant with Valve's background. To be quite frank, I don't care to be. I already know enough to state with confidence that Valve contends that its assertions prevent smallpox. Excuse me, but where exactly did this little factoid come from? Valve pretends to put power into the hands of the people while actually destroying any resistance by channeling it into ineffective paths. There; my ranting is finished

DoTA 2? Fucking A.

Gabe...
"Every gamer has a Facebook account."
Screw off. There is always the odd one out rule, and I happily make example of that rule, but I doubt I am not the only one seeing as half th posts are bitching about that comment FTW!

If you wanna waste potential hl3 development time then fine... you do that... just make sure there is an offline button so I don't have to pull my internet cable out as to avoid being pissed off by little pop-ups from random people, or advise that there is a head crab round the corner...

Dansrage:
"Every gamer has facebook account"

That sentance is everything that's wrong with gaming today.

I don't think there is anything wrong with gamers having Facebook accounts. And besides, gaming is becoming more and more social as the years go by.

M_aureus:

Dansrage:
"Every gamer has facebook account"

That sentance is everything that's wrong with gaming today.

I don't think there is anything wrong with gamers having Facebook accounts. And besides, gaming is becoming more and more social as the years go by.

Gaming may be becoming more social or whatever but that doesn't mean that everyone has to like it. I hate the very idea of sharing personal information on the internet, so I don't use facebook or any other services like it. So if there is to be some sort of "social integration" in single player games you should be allowed to deactivate it completely without any negative effect on your single player experience.

Gabe, you don't know what you're talking about. I don't have a Facebook-account, and I'm a gamer.

Well geez. More often than not, I play single player because I don't want to mess around with other people.

Kevlar Eater:
More multiplayer bullshit.

I feel like a relic nowadays.

you and me both....

i had figured the point of...games really, but single player especially was to immerse yourself in an experience, and thats quite impossible when they keep reminding me of all random assholes online. i find it incredibly ironic how games just now become recognized as art when virtually no one seems to want to focus on the art part. immersion is seriously hurt when you remind me of reality, and outright murdered when you pester me about it. so seeing as id end up deactivating everything social as best i can, valve can only hamper their games with things i cant deactivate.

no one explicitly designs movies, music, or literature to involve assholes you know, just saying. really dont see why everyone wants to add some facebook knockoff to their games now, thats kinda what facebook is for (which i dont have).

Ophiuchus:

entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people."

No. No it isn't. At all.

Can someone please explain this thinking? What's wrong with a fully single-player experience?

It is for some people, personally I think multiplayer makes games better, as long as the single player experience is still good.

itt angry sociopaths, hurt that the industry would rather cater to normal human beings than recluses

Just because you don't have a facebook account doesn't mean it's irrelevant. We live in a social world. We are a social species. If you don't want to associate with people in gaming because you're playing real life wrong, then don't, but don't try to justify yourself and besmirch the importance of social networks and communities just because you're not part of them - hint hint, that's why you're not the target market anymore. It's not even that hard to find immersion in multiplayer games. In fact, isn't the medium most known for immersion, tabletop RPGs, almost completely social?

I personally love a full singleplayer experience. I detest matchmaking type games, and public "facebook" games. I probably won't go anywhere near any sort of game with my fb account, just because I don't care. But that doesn't mean blurring the line between single player experiences and social interaction is a bad thing. I'm actually getting a lot of Demon's Souls vibes from this. That's a good thing.

Noble Cookie:

Ophiuchus:

entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people."

No. No it isn't. At all.

Can someone please explain this thinking? What's wrong with a fully single-player experience?

It is for some people, personally I think multiplayer makes games better, as long as the single player experience is still good.

No to 'it is for some people', by virtue of the fact that he said it's "inherently increased in value" by forcing us to get other people involved.

I have two problems with Multiplayer:

1. You need friends with the same games and roughly same time schedule and same mood
2. A Multiplayer experience is only as good as its community. Which in Co-Ops is reduced to only one partner of course, but the less players in the party, the more frustrating a single fuckup. It's a two-edged sword at all times.

With Singleplayer I can play it whenever I want without depending on someone else and I can make it a personal experience. It also allows me to just look around and appreciate the game without being dragged to the next checkpoint.

more social and connected features

what about more stuff like demons souls dammit.

"you have friends" Gabe Newel.
How dare he makes such an assumption!

So, um, that Episode 3......

Tom Goldman:
"Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and want to have that connected as well," Newell added. "It's not about giving up on single-player at all, we actually think that there are a bunch of features and capabilities that we need to add into our single-player games to recognize the socially-connected gamer. Every gamer is instant messaging, every gamer has a Facebook account. If you pretend this doesn't exist you're ignoring the problems you ought to be taking on, so it's 'single-player plus,' not 'no more single-player.'"

Apparently I'm not a gamer then. I never use instant messenger (and for some reason my XBL account hasn't been able to sign into Messenger for months; no great loss) and I've never had a Facebook account. This smacks a little of that Bethesda dev the other month claiming that anyone who said graphics didn't matter was a liar - devs throwing out blanket statements to justify the route they've taken in the industry irrespective of facts.

Sorry Gabe, but if you're going to basically force co-op play onto people in your future releases (which is what 'single player plus' with friends sounds like to me), then count me out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here