Battlestar Galactica Mods Get Frakked By NBCUniversal

Pages PREV 1 2

Jaime_Wolf:
This is disappointing, but was probably inevitable. Given how much money video game tie-ins can involve, they're afraid that some people are going to beat them to it and they won't be able to swim in their giant pools of cash. Even beyond confusing the existing game with it, there's a strong possibility that they plan to make future games out of the franchise. And they probably wouldn't want to have to even worry about competing with these mods, which might be considerably closer to what they eventually make than the MMO is.

On the other hand, this does say something pretty remarkable about the modding community: we've reached a point where a handful of people doing something as a hobby can actually produce something that threatens to be on par with or even better than an official production. That's pretty fucking exciting.

This is nothing new. Anyone remember the attempted Dragon all Z mod for Quake? Yeah, jerkwad corps have been screwing over community homages forever.

But, they're not even making games like that for the BSG franchise. How does this mod affect them negatively at all? All it does is provide advertisement...

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Why shut it down? They aren't making money off of it.

Your avatar is totally awesome, and I don't even watch that pony show!

OT : What NBC, just because you couldn't make a decent BSG game to save the galaxy, don't hate people who can.

Irridium:
Sucks to hear this happen. Not sure why they pick now, after the mods have been up for years and are all over the internet instead of cracking down years later.

They probably did hear about it years ago but let it be because no major attention was being drawn to it, then Kotaku had to do its attention grabbing piece and suddenly NBC had to step in and do something. If they didn't, it would have been an invitation to anyone out there that using their materials is ok.

Blame Kotaku.

Jaime_Wolf:
This is disappointing, but was probably inevitable. Given how much money video game tie-ins can involve, they're afraid that some people are going to beat them to it and they won't be able to swim in their giant pools of cash. Even beyond confusing the existing game with it, there's a strong possibility that they plan to make future games out of the franchise. And they probably wouldn't want to have to even worry about competing with these mods, which might be considerably closer to what they eventually make than the MMO is.

On the other hand, this does say something pretty remarkable about the modding community: we've reached a point where a handful of people doing something as a hobby can actually produce something that threatens to be on par with or even better than an official production. That's pretty fucking exciting.

I suspect you are right, they plan to make their own tie in game.

What baffles me is that if they are, they are making the same mistake as they did with stargate worlds. That is - "lets make a game about a TV series that ended years ago* when even the spinoffs are now doing badly" Rather than "We have a great TV series that is in full swing, lets make a tie in game now while people are still actively watching"

*its already 2 years. Gah.

Why, just why.

Seriously.

Defending ones IP is one thing, I can almost understand for example Bethesda vs. Interplay from a -strictly- business perspective, but mods?

Bethesda suing MorrOblivion, now this shit?

I think this is a conscious effort to discourage the modding-scene.

By now I'd be completely afraid to mod anything that is based of an IP, even a "dead" one like Stargate or Firefly. You never know if your time is not completely wasted by the time you release it.

We all know the Game of Thrones game is shit, instead they should have paid some modders to mod a campaign into Mount&Blade. But no, first we will release our inferior crap then we will sue anyone that actually improves on our design.

Just buy the damn mod, for a symbolic price, or better yet, hire the dudes that made the mod, apparently they are good enough to challenge your "professional" dev studio that you hired.

IP trolling, the scourge of humanity...

Phishfood:

I suspect you are right, they plan to make their own tie in game.

What baffles me is that if they are, they are making the same mistake as they did with stargate worlds. That is - "lets make a game about a TV series that ended years ago* when even the spinoffs are now doing badly" Rather than "We have a great TV series that is in full swing, lets make a tie in game now while people are still actively watching"

*its already 2 years. Gah.

To be fair SG:Worlds was in development from like 2005, it was supposed to be a FPS but got changed into a MMO around 2007 (first retarded decision) then they decided to cancel SG1 and later Atlantis and continued on a game that nobody gave a shit about anymore.

In continuity SG:Worlds was supposed to take place during the Lucian Alliance arc, which was already outdated and nobody gave a shit about that so they needed to rewrite everything.

SG:World is the prime example of complete and utter mismanagement of an IP

Hell, the complete SG franchise is the prime example of production mismanagement.

adamtm:

To be fair SG:Worlds was in development from like 2005, it was supposed to be a FPS but got changed into a MMO around 2007 (first retarded decision) then they decided to cancel SG1 and later Atlantis and continued on a game that nobody gave a shit about anymore.

In continuity SG:Worlds was supposed to take place during the Lucian Alliance arc, which was already outdated and nobody gave a shit about that so they needed to rewrite everything.

SG:World is the prime example of complete and utter mismanagement of an IP

Hell, the complete SG franchise is the prime example of production mismanagement.

Its incredible. Look at star trek and star wars. Now admittedly, most of the games came well after the source material, but still.

X-wing in all its forms, jedi knight, that rts one I can't recall the name of, kotor the list goes on.

Starfleet academy, elite force, bridge commander and so on.

Stargate? we'll make one game I guess. maybe. Or not as the case may be.

<edit>

Lets make the list.
FPS - no problem, in fact they made a (bad) attempt at one.
RTS - again, doable from the stargate universe.
Flight Sim - no brainer.
Hell, even an X-com esque global/galactic strategy game should have been possible.

thenumberthirteen:
Also heaven help me if the major studios really crack down on Second Life. I don't know what I'd do if they took away my TARDIS, Stargates, and X-Wing. Then it'd all just be about Furry Bondage sex :(

Wouldn't worry too much about the X-Wing as Lucas has been pretty supportive of the modding scene. Galactic Conquest, the SW based Battlefield 1942 mod was actually encouraged by lucasarts to continue to make it, so long as they don't use the John Williams musical score because they don't hold the rights to it. (WMG does I believe)

LordLundar:

thenumberthirteen:
Also heaven help me if the major studios really crack down on Second Life. I don't know what I'd do if they took away my TARDIS, Stargates, and X-Wing. Then it'd all just be about Furry Bondage sex :(

Wouldn't worry too much about the X-Wing as Lucas has been pretty supportive of the modding scene. Galactic Conquest, the SW based Battlefield 1942 mod was actually encouraged by lucasarts to continue to make it, so long as they don't use the John Williams musical score because they don't hold the rights to it. (WMG does I believe)

Phew. though a couple years ago Paramount brought the hammer down on Star Trek stuff. I'm just worried the BBC will do the same with all the Whovian things.

Not cool, not cool at all.
I mean, they're just mods. No-one is getting any of "your" money, they're just making something they want to make, for free.
So yeah, douche-y move.

Greeeeeed. Seriously, NBCU is sad. The decision was probably made by some dumb old fart who doesn't even understand half of what was being done.

Bah :(

Short-sightedness in companies makes me sad. That mod has probably created more fans of the show than any of NBCU's marketing campaigns and it didn't cost them a damn penny. They just got a new audience for $0 and they sent out cease and dessist orders to shut the whole thing down. Furthermore, if their stance is seriously that their licensed games can't compete with a damn mod, then that should be raising some little red flags right there.

So yeah, NBCU is a company I won't be investing in anytime soon.

In the last couple of months, I've really started to see how messed up copyright law is... why the hell can't companies take care of their own legal stuff? It's just... augh.

adamtm:
Bethesda suing MorrOblivion, now this shit?

MorrOblivion's actually pretty understandable, you only have to pay for one game to get both. And it looks like the suit's been lifted anyway.

shameduser:
Copyright: Squashing creativity since the invention of being a dick.

I like how you talk about creativity in relation to mods that rip off existing IPs. Funny stuff

Douchebag,i hope he gets thrown of a 70 story building.they're giving him free adverisment & support the game and he removes them?asshole.

I don't really think they have any right to do this. It's not like the mod authors are actually plagiarizing anything. BSG wasn't filmed as a (for example) Freespace Machinima after all--somebody made those models from scratch.

Seriously un-smart move here. Mods often serve as trailers and free advertisement for a series, while also serving as a way for fans to enjoy a world in a previously unaccessible way. Pulling copyright rank on a non-profit mod serves to alienate fans as well as anyone else who might have watched the series after enjoying the mod. Seriously short-sighted move.

vrbtny:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Your avatar is totally awesome, and I don't even watch that pony show!

OT : What NBC, just because you couldn't make a decent BSG game to save the galaxy, don't hate people who can.

Thanks. Credit goes to staika on making it.

dear all companies

Your fans are where you make your money, do you really think that parents are going to buy all the merchandise for their children because it seems cool? the answer is no, especially in this case (BSG has a very "alien" feel to everything, especially the ships). here is a good idea, instead of providing a cease and desist, why not allow them to release these mods while profiting of merch that may or may not be directly linked to the mod.

besides, the more positive exposure to the franchise, the better. i can not count the amount of times i have seen someone find something that they love due to a fan creation.

TheDarkEricDraven:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Because corporations hate fans and the free advertisment they provide.

^ Verbatim.

Though, not ALL companies. Just the really stupid ones. George Lucas is surprisingly tolerant sometimes. And Hasbro's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, they pretty much invite the fans to go nuts with the IP.

Master Kuja:

Normandyfoxtrot:

While games workshop is pretty draconian about a whole litany of things I haven't really know them to be any more C&D obsessed than any other company, as surprising as that is.

There's been a staggering number of /tg/ based 40k mods that have been hit with C&Ds, as well as a Battlefleet Gothic mod for Sins of a Solar Empire, Myth 2 and UT based 40k mods have also been afflicted with the same cease and desist orders.

Games Workshop are very, VERY defensive with the 40k IP, it seems like the second they catch wind of a 40k mod in the works, the legal letters go flying pretty sharpish.

Yea, Games Workshop is pretty infamous for curb stomping fans. I swear GW clings too hard to the 80s. Maybe it's because the mods make their own games look pretty sh_tty sometimes.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here