Mythbusters Fire Cannonball into Suburban Home

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So...uh...was the myth busted or confirmed?

I used to blow up houses with cannons. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

Wouldn't mind seeing the dent in that van, though.

"The cannonball failed to wake the three people sleeping in the house"
Must have been a household of deaf people.

The BUILD TEAM was testing on the Bomb Range about if stone cannonballs could have worked in breaching a castle's walls (check the related stories on the homepage from the SF Chronicle page). This is the same bomb range they launched a 16lbs (iirc) BOWLING BALL out of a cannon which went UP a hillside, proved both the Sawdust Cannon and POWDERED CREAMER Cannon worked (burying one of their cameras in burnt creamer in the process), tested 5lbs blocks of C4 against wood walls with and without tray liner (for pickups) and 10lbs C4 charges against cinder block walls (again with and without the liner) in testing what the stuff could protect against (making walls blast-resistant: Check. Making jackets that can stop a German Shepard from biting through: check. Preventing major damage in a car crash: Fail)...

And then there's the decades of the bomb range's use as *shock* A BOMB RANGE! Y'kno, a place out in the middle of nowhere where you blow items up to test what they do and how powerful they are?

So it's not Buster's fault some idiots decided to build a suburb in the nearby area around a place which was set up where it wouldn't hurt people in the nearby town, just bad luck one of their tests acted up as it did with such results.

AdmiralCheez:
Living next to a bomb range is probably the reason no one noticed it. Though really, if you voluntarily move next door to a place like that, you should expect a wayward bomb once in a while.

Actually, why did they build homes that close to a bomb range in the first place?

For about the same reason that people around where I live move next to a racing track, that was build way before there was any residential development around it, then start to complain about the racing car noise. A cheap terrain or a nice house with an offer that seemed too good to pass, cause you were visiting the day that wouldn't show why it was so cheap and/or because they didn't bother to look at what was around.

There is also a chocolate factory close to where I live so tend to have a strong odor in the air from time to time, but to me that an advantage (except when hungry =p).

One day these guys are going to accidentally blow up the planet... and it will be awesome.

Considering that they've managed to clear an entire range with that cannon before (only a few hundred feet away from the residential area), it was inevitable that they would some day outstrip that limit.

Scrustle:
What the hell were they doing with a loaded cannon in the middle of some suburbs? They must have been pretty close to the house if it managed to go up some stairs and still have enough momentum to smash through the wall and fly in to a car park!

It's worth remembering that the old smoothbore muzzle-loaders had effective ranges of a mile or more; and even that limit had more to do with accuracy than anything else.

darkstone:
Don't they usually test their cannon shenanigans out in the middle of the desert? Where were they when they tested this.

They missed the water barrels and instead hit a concrete wall above them, in the distance.

...It bounced back..

In before "Whoops."

Am I a bad person for thinking this is a perfectly OK thing to happen because it's hilarious?

But don't they normally do their explosive stuff on this desert-ish explosive testing range?

wait....
Their still making that show?!

For those of you wondering, no, the producers have already said that the episode will NOT be airing to reassure the property owners.

The main reason I used to watch this show is because of Carrie. I had such a huge crush on her and loved to see her bust stuff. A friend of mine used to wonder why I watched the show in the dark, lol.

That must have been a really bad roll with their artillery dice.

@shark wrangler: she came back after she had the kid.

EvilChameleon:

Blargh McBlargh:
Wait... So the cannon misfired, the cannon ball smashed through a door, rolled UP some stairs, got airborne again, smashed through a wall and the roof, then wrecked a car?

Goddamn. o_O

That's one magic cannonball.

Chances this makes it to air? Less than 15%.

Maybe not in the episode itself but maybe in one of those "Top 20" shows.

Can't wait to see the new season of Mythbusters after hearing about this. The first episode in that season that features a cannon has got to be the one this is refering to.

Hey, most people have to pay for memorabilia like that! This is why that show has some super insurance. Though, I find it funny as all hell that I showed this to people and their response was "man, wish that was my house!"

Hopefully this won't hurt the show. :(

Adam Jensen:
This is actually a pretty stupid show. From the moment they say what they're gonna test you can use your common sense to come to a correct conclusion if the myth will be busted or confirmed. Because their experiments are that dumb. And now look what they've done. Maybe it's a show for people who don't know anything about science.

so you could have known from common sense that elephants are very apprehensive of mice? Or that a bull in a china shop would actually do.... well not very much?

Yes some of them are confirming things that should be obvious, but they've done a lot of non-trivial experiments too.

I would demand they autograph the cannon ball and let me keep it

Draconalis:
I would demand they autograph the cannon ball and let me keep it

If it's the cannon they've used before then you won't be able to because it's on loan to the show.

LordLundar:

If it's the cannon they've used before then you won't be able to because it's on loan to the show.

Is the ammo on loan too? They can't replace the ammo?

Adam Jensen:

McMullen:

theultimateend:

I don't mind the criticism, but try not to act like you are some scholar with insight into science. That just makes it obnoxious.

He could be. I'm a scholar, I consider myself to have insights into science, and I have certainly been an obnoxious dick on these very forums when people were Failing Physics/Astronomy/Geology/Biology Forever. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

That said, I don't think he's watched enough of the show to know that some of the tests have truly surprising outcomes. Also, if he relies on common sense to make his conclusions, then the Mythbusters are better scientists than he is.

Or maybe I just know too much about science (mostly physics) to be surprised by the results they get.

Hey, you sound like I used to IRL! Just in case you really are like that IRL, I'm going to tell you what I would go back and tell myself: That really irritates the fuck out of people, and the longer you carry it on, the more your life will stagnate. I know it seems like being smart ought to earn you the right to talk that way, but people really don't find it that impressive, and potential friends, romantic partners, academic advisors and employers will all be more turned off by your attitude than they will be turned on by your brilliance.

Humility, on the other hand, seems to have the opposite effect, and can unlock a surprising number of doors that would otherwise remain closed. It also makes people respect your intelligence a lot more, because a nice smart person seems to be considered something of a novelty.

I actually live in Dublin, CA. Their shooting range is a 10 minute drive away, but obviously the public isn't allowed up there. Mythbusters is pretty much the only reason anyone has heard of us. No, it wasn't my house :( I wish it was, I really want to meet those guys.

EDIT: For those wondering why they're firing cannons so close to homes, those homes were built very recently. That area used to be a huge empty field just about 10 years ago. The bomb range was there long before the area became residential.

TheBaron87:
I actually live in Dublin, CA. Their shooting range is a 10 minute drive away, but obviously the public isn't allowed up there. Mythbusters is pretty much the only reason anyone has heard of us. No, it wasn't my house :( I wish it was, I really want to meet those guys.

EDIT: For those wondering why they're firing cannons so close to homes, those homes were built very recently. That area used to be a huge empty field just about 10 years ago. The bomb range was there long before the area became residential.

And this proves why it was a huge empty field before.

OT: I do wonder,what it would have felt like to be hit by a canon ball if it had hit someone. Good thing i didn't but imagine walking in yout house and BOOM suddenly CANNONBALL

Well, I hope they learn from this. I haven't watched the Mythbusters in a long time, ever since they ran out of interesting myths to test and have resorted to literally pulling increasingly silly rumours straight from the internet and renaming them "myths". But I still like the show, and I wish they would continue.

They'll take some time off to figure out how to improve safety, and its good that they will, since this accident could have very easily killed or maimed someone. Even if no one died, it was a serious accident and they need to learn their lesson seriously. From the perspective of a safety officer, a bad accident is a bad accident, regardless if anyone got hurt.

I think they need a new bomb-testing site. The show is a big earner so they should be able to re-located to a suitably deserted site for testing explosive materials. Their insurance bills are going to increase and they'll probably have to restrain themselves from doing some of their more crazy stunts, but the show itself should be fine.

But seriously - they could have killed someone. It's not a laughing matter, or something to "brush" aside.

Draconalis:

LordLundar:

Is the ammo on loan too? They can't replace the ammo?

I've read the shot was a granite rock used as an improvised ammo source, so that could probably be signed. Considering how many people were affected though, who would you turn it over to? :P

Wow. I saw an article about this earlier today, but hadn't seen the video reports. I love how the news people make it out like some sort of horror movie rampage. No one was hurt and it was the Mythbusters, those residents better just accept the insurance settlement and maybe some airtime on the show (I know I would). How awesome would it be to be able to say the Mythbusters shot a cannon through your house?

Korolev:
Well, I hope they learn from this. I haven't watched the Mythbusters in a long time, ever since they ran out of interesting myths to test and have resorted to literally pulling increasingly silly rumours straight from the internet and renaming them "myths". But I still like the show, and I wish they would continue.

They'll take some time off to figure out how to improve safety, and its good that they will, since this accident could have very easily killed or maimed someone. Even if no one died, it was a serious accident and they need to learn their lesson seriously. From the perspective of a safety officer, a bad accident is a bad accident, regardless if anyone got hurt.

I think they need a new bomb-testing site. The show is a big earner so they should be able to re-located to a suitably deserted site for testing explosive materials. Their insurance bills are going to increase and they'll probably have to restrain themselves from doing some of their more crazy stunts, but the show itself should be fine.

But seriously - they could have killed someone. It's not a laughing matter, or something to "brush" aside.

While safety is important, I think the developers who decided to build homes within shrapnel radius of a freaking bomb range (and a well known one) should be the ones paying up, not the Mythbusters' insurance.

If that was my house, I'd be completely okay with it just because it was Mythbusters and they are one of my gods of SCIENCE.

Autographs, a shrine, an epic story about a magical cannonball, a chance to behold the awesome that is Adam and Jamie, and a chance to redecorate my house.

Hell yeah.

Just watched the video.

DAMN. That cannonball was pure magic to have gone so far.
Or the cannon had enough power to propel a rocket into space.

Did that confirm or bust the myth?

Blargh McBlargh:
Wait... So the cannon misfired, the cannon ball smashed through a door, rolled UP some stairs, got airborne again, smashed through a wall and the roof, then wrecked a car?

Goddamn. o_O

All while proving the myth that people can sleep through explosions!

...That was the Myth right?

Korolev:

No, definitely agreed. As much as it would suck not to have MB come to my town it's not like we ever get to see them anyway, the place is owned by the sheriff's office. One day that cannon might be pointed west and people might be reading a not-so-lucky news story about me :( They should have stopped using it as soon as the construction started out there honestly.

What I don't understand though, is why they were shooting to the east. Google "Alameda County Sheriff's Office. The bomb range is straight north from the marker, straight west from the reservoir, that pentagon shaped area. Zoom out and look at how much open land they have to the north and northwest they could be aiming toward. Instead they aimed east and hit the houses off Tassajara. I'd like to know their reasoning for firing the cannon in that direction.

ThunderCavalier:
I can somehow see the family owning that house immediately forgiving them as soon as they saw it was the Mythbusters.

My thoughts exactly. If they did that to my house, I'd be pretty annoyed at first, but once I realized they were the ones behind it, I'd be a lot more chipper about the whole ordeal since I know they would pay for any and all repairs needed. Plus, I mean, it's the freaking Mythbusters...love that show. xD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here