SOPA Storms Back

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

SOPA "protected American jobs" they say. Is Google not an American company. Is FaceBook not an American company. how many time have you posted some type of copyrighted content or link to copyrighted content to a forum or FaceBook

Andy Chalk:
foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property

America! Fuck YEAH!

That's some wildly inflammatory rhetoric. I'd hope this guy is some part of the lunatic fringe... right? Right?

Ugh, so not impressed by this. In saying that, though, this guy is undeniably a biased source. It may be further gone than he is suggesting.

Exile714:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.

If that is the case then thanks for bringing it to our attention, this is good news!

The confidence of the guy who is responsible for the bill is a little offputting, so I would like to get a better understanding of this before I ask pinkie pie to roll out the party cannon.

Andy Chalk:
... to send a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs and protects intellectual property."

I'll be laughing at how stupid this is until they realize their folly. Let's save American jobs by shutting down one of the largest sectors of the workforce!

It's like saving hungry people by prohibiting sandwiches. Well done, numbnuts.

Sixcess:

Andy Chalk:
foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property

America! Fuck YEAH!

That's some wildly inflammatory rhetoric. I'd hope this guy is some part of the lunatic fringe... right? Right?

The republican party, so yeah, more or less at this point.

Lopsided Weener:

EvilChameleon:
Good lord, time to move to England.

Don't move here, you'll just get extradited back by our idiot government.

You know, This could be the worst time and worst place to complain about the idiocy of our government, considering why the escapee is leaving.

Exile714:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

Of course I know what markup is! It's the difference between how much a company charges for a product and its individual manufacturing cost. It differs from profit because it usually refers to a single SKU, and it doesn't take into account other costs involved in the product's manufacture, such as workers' wages.

Pfft, I don't know why I'm explaining this to you. You're on the internet, and everyone on the internet is dumb but me.

I live in Australia, and the blackout protests are happening right now. And I suppose the whole dirty foreigners thing comes from the fact that The Pirate Bay is offshore and the US can't do much about it.

Like the dude several comments above me said, when a bill is in markup in your system things aren't looking great for it. I can only assume that direct opposition from the executive branch is a pretty bad blow to its progression. I don't know that much about US politics, I only watch the daily show (since we can't get Bill Maher anymore), but we shouldn't stop the protests now. If we keep going strong then we can really drive this shit back into the water without winding up with a re-write in a months time. so yeah, 12 hour blackouts- GO.

This strains my eyes just reading this. Also the words that Smith chose to address the bill's purpose was pretty offensive because why are- .. well wait, does it matter at this point?

The bill is going to screw everyone over if it passes, and Congress is so determined to make it happen that they're leaving themselves open for the worst backlash ever- the Blackout. Probably will happen tomorrow, and money ratings will drop like beat flies. Hope that teaches them, if not changing their greedy ways.

Exile714:

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.

Thank God there are always patient know-it-all's such as yourself that can explain this unfathomable word to us poor, unwashed, slow-in-the-head peasants.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and remember less condescension and a bit more respect will get you a lot more of those "intelligent conversations" you crave so much.

Geez that was quick. I guess Wikipedia and the other sites will be making use of their black out.

FalloutJack:
snip

"How can I get out of this chickenshit outfit sir?"

Spud of Doom:
Ugh, so not impressed by this. In saying that, though, this guy is undeniably a biased source. It may be further gone than he is suggesting.

I'm pretty sure that a bill's sponsor knows what is coming up for the bill.

I just got a letter back from my congressman today. Who wants to dissect?

-------------------------

" Dear Mrs. Leach:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns about H.R. 3261 and S. 968, bills intended to deter and prevent intellectual property. I appreciate hearing from you.

As new technologies are developed, we must work diligently to strike a balance between preserving fair use principles for consumers and reasonably protecting intellectual property. As you may know, H.R. 3261 and S.968 would authorize civil prosecution against an "Internet sites dedicated to infringing activities." Such a site is defined as one that (1) has no significant use other than engaging in or facilitating copyright infringement, circumventing technology controlling access to copyrighted works, or selling or promoting counterfeit goods or services; or (2) is designed, operated, or marketed and used to engage in such activities. As a member of the House of Representatives I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should I have the opportunity to consider either bill for a vote.

I believe it is crucial to give the power of choice to consumers by requiring broadband providers to keep the gateways of information flowing freely. As such, I have consistently voted to keep the Internet free from interference, including becoming an original cosponsor of H.R. 3458, the Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2009. This legislation would require the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other agencies to guard against unreasonable discriminatory favoritism for, or degradation of, content by the operators of the networks that make up the Internet based upon that content's source, ownership, or destination. I will continue to fight to protect the diverse range of online services and content that consumers enjoy today.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about such an important issue. For news on current federal legislative issues, please visit my website at www.house.gov/inslee, where you can also sign up to receive my e-newsletter. My office is here to serve you, so please feel free to contact us in Shoreline at 206-361-0233 or in Washington, D.C. at 202-225-6311 for assistance

Very truly yours,
JAY INSLEE
Member of Congress "
-----------------------------

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's very... interestingly worded.

Do American politicians have a hard time realizing how bad this could be for their already wounded economy?

The Random One:
[
Nope. Any site that allows people to post freely can be accused under SOPA, as long as someone in there posts anything. Under DMCA people hosting that content have to act to remove it as soon as they are notified of such; under SOPA they are commiting a felony if they fail to police the site to stop it from happening, which is unfeasible on sites that have millions of users like Facebook and YouTube.

And the main danger is that a claimant doesn't need to bring up any proof that the infringing content is indeed damaging their sales; an overzealous music executive could shut down the Escapist over the intro and outro songs of the earlier Zero Punctiation episodes, and it's more likely than not that they eventually will, due to how copyright laws in the US work.

The only result of this bill will be a massive exodus of any technology-based company from the Us to escape from it, and as that's pretty much the only sector of the US economy that's still growing that will pretty much throw the country under the bus. Especially now that there's already a different crisis going on with the US as one of its lynchpins.

Section 103.4 states that you need to provide evidence that the site is "dedicated to theft". Which part of the Bill suggests that any post on a forum could be accused of causing a site to be dedicated to theft?
And actually Section 103.5 states that the site can counter any actions taken if it, under penalty of perjury, has good faith in that it is not a site dedicated to theft.
Wherever you have gotten your information from is simply incorrect; have a read for yourself:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr3261ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr3261ih.pdf

*flies away in an F-22*

"so boss whats the plan?"

"heroes don't need plans"

If you ask anyone who doesn't personally have staff devoted to media spin what's costing America jobs, I can all but guarantee that piracy won't be their first pick. In most cases, it won't be in the top five. And for the odd person who mentions it, it probably won't be "foreign" pirates who take the hit.

But by all means, please, save us from ourselves. Clearly we demand vague, harsh laws to prevent us from doing something we appear to be doing in droves. [/sarcasm]

Rarely is it this blatantly obvious that the lobbying groups have next to nothing in common with the electorate.

I still don't think SOPA will come to pass, I think it's backers are pushing the date foward in case the bill loses any more support than it already has. The bill is so unpopular, it will never see the light of day. It's still a very doomed ship and will have a life-span similar to the Mary Rose.

hang on...........
is it considered Terrorism if your doing the world a service?

THIS IS THE WORST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!

This is worst than when I head strep throat and two ear infections.

Andy Chalk:

There was never any question that SOPA would be back in some form or other, at some point or other, but the hope, I think, was that it would take a little longer than this.

As you said, Mr. Chalk, I expected the victory to be short lived, but one day?? Can someone give an hour count?
I wonder what will happen today (it's just after midnight the 18th) and see if that'll change anything. I'm really excited.
On that point, does the Escapist have any plans to black out the site for a day?

Furrama:
~snip~

I just want to commend you for actually writing your congressman. And it seems like a, while still cluttered with the ancient language of politicians, good response.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zachary Amaranth:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Once Google relocates, felonies among 18-25 years olds skyrocket, and it brings about several lengthy (and expensive) court battles/challenges they will see how much they fucked up.

with a for-profit prison system and a model for entertainment media in which lawsuits are more money than actual product? I'd still say you're an optimist.

Oh no, you forgot the fun part: watching a judge try to compare a law concerning the internet to a 200-year-old document to see if it fits the founders' intentions and if it is "constitutional".

Better than that! I can't wait untill "experts" on the news fight over what the founding fathers would have said about the internet had they had it. They will do this with a straight face.

Personaly I think if we used a time machine to show Ben Franklin an Iphone and watched you tube on it he would burn down his workshop and have a mental breakdown.

Sorry but is this no sopa has been shelfed to no we are back on in a day to screw around with the "blackout" i hope that the companies that were preparing for the blackout are already to go.

As this bullshit has to stop and if these people think they can stop a mass movement by pretending to be out of the picture of blackout day.Then i want to show these people what the internet really consists of.

Ragnarok185:
hang on...........

Yes, that is pretty much what all terrorists say.

Sometimes I wish I could hate someone to death....

Corrupted phoenix of a bill needs to die horribly, and anyone that supports it needs to be removed from office, effective immediately.

OT: This moron just doesn't learn, does he? I really hope that this bill crashes and burns and this guy looses his elected post for this.

And for those of you who know me to any degree will know that I rarely get this pissed off about anything.

Mr.Mattress:
For the love of Pete! Now my Newgrounds post is a lie! That's it, I'm joining the black out tomorrow on both my Youtube and My Newgrounds account (I'll keep this one up to have something to do).

How would you even black out an account on a third-party site? Wouldn't you have to literally delete all your uploads in order to purge them from your homepage?

Furrama:
I just got a letter back from my congressman today. Who wants to dissect?

(snip)

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's very... interestingly worded.

Sounds like he's planning to vote for this but is trying to get on your good side by bringing up a past vote that he guesses you're in favor of. I do like the little typo at the beginning where he says the laws are "intended to deter and prevent intellectual property." 'Cause, yep, that's what they'd do, all right.

Ragnarok185:
hang on...........

It's considered terrorism if the U.S. government doesn't like you. Doing the world a service (as opposed to doing America a service at the expense of the rest of the world) definitely sounds like something that would fit that description, yes.

Wow. This guy really does not know when to bow out gracefully.

SOPA is dead. The White House has more or less said, in rather PC terms, that it will not, period, under any circumstances, pass a bill with SOPA's many, many, MANY issues and concerns. This isn't some grey area like with NDAA where their opposition was conditional on elements that limited the power of the executive branch; this is a straight forward 'You cannot have. Not yours.'

The public is against this. His fellow politicians are abandoning it. The blackout is TOMORROW.

If it's because he's a true believer supporter of anti-piracy, then he really needs to rethink this, and come back with a better bill next time. But this kind of steadfast dedication says something else to me. I'll hold off on posting what this stinks of to me, but suffice to say, I think the only business he's looking to protect is his own post and the money promised to him for pushing SOPA through.

That said, this is a good reminder to everyone involved in fighting SOPA and other bills that endanger the internet... the fight does not end with a single victory. Ever. The internet is strange and frightening to those in power, and dangerous to those in power who dislike dissent. It will, constantly, come under fire from those who do not trust it. Piracy is the excuse today. There will be a new excuse tomorrow.

Lopsided Weener:

EvilChameleon:
Good lord, time to move to England.

Don't move here, you'll just get extradited back by our idiot government.

*nods* just ask Gary McKinnon or Richard O'Dwyer

McKinnon should be given a job in Intelligence, not a prison sentence, and under UK law O'Dwyer has done nothing illegal. If the US government can lynch O'Dwyer in current circumstances, f**k knows what's gonna happen if SOPA & PIPA are passed.

Gotta hope it gets vetoed at the Whitehouse

This dude needs to pull his head out of his ass, like now. This stupid bill will harm the very consumers and businesses it's trying to protect.

-.-

Politicians, please go and f*** yourself.

So this was all just to prevent the shutdown from Google etc... I seriously hope now that internet companies will now fight against this even harder.

I did tell people that they were only shelving it and that we only had Obama saying he'd veto it other than that. Not that I'd try to rely on his word on that.

SirBryghtside:
I'm either deeply misunderstanding something or he's making no sense.

'Foreign thieves'? I thought SOPA only affected US citizens... and even if I'm wrong, it's still offensive.

You all do realize what he actually means, right?

If was being accurate and honest, he would say "Chinese thieves" since they are the biggest problem in piracy and IP protection. But because he can't do that without pissing the Chinese off, so he says the ambiguous "foreign" instead.

And the thieves part is accurate, if in implications and not definition. Sure, you can use technicalities to argue your way out of the "stealing" part of thieves, but you still amount to little better than thieves.

Gregg Lonsdale:
I live in Australia, and the blackout protests are happening right now. And I suppose the whole dirty foreigners thing comes from the fact that The Pirate Bay is offshore and the US can't do much about it.

Like the dude several comments above me said, when a bill is in markup in your system things aren't looking great for it. I can only assume that direct opposition from the executive branch is a pretty bad blow to its progression. I don't know that much about US politics, I only watch the daily show (since we can't get Bill Maher anymore), but we shouldn't stop the protests now. If we keep going strong then we can really drive this shit back into the water without winding up with a re-write in a months time. so yeah, 12 hour blackouts- GO.

we don't have the black outs in Melbourne yet

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or