Kingdoms of Amalur's Combat The "Best" Of Any RPG

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Kingdoms of Amalur's Combat The "Best" Of Any RPG

Kingdoms of Amalur's supposedly going to have combat that's even better than Skyrim. Key word here: "Supposedly."

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was a surprising treat at E3, being described as "everything you love about the best RPGs into one package." The game's got some big names involved, too, with a story by fantasy novelist R.A. Salvatore and artwork by Spawn creator Todd McFarlane. With the title's launch just around the corner, its lead designer has stated that it'll surpass other excellent titles like Skyrim thanks to features like the best combat to ever appear in a videogame.

Speaking to Gamefront, Ken Rolston (known for his work as lead designer on previous Elder Scrolls titles Morrowind and Oblivion) talked about what will make his latest RPG better than all other games in that genre:

"What makes Reckoning differ from Skyrim? The simple answer is that Reckoning has the best, coolest, fastest-paced, most tactile and silly-exciting fantasy combat of any video RPG.

"The pace, fluid movement, tactical richness, and physical and visual theatre of fantasy combat has always seemed the weakest feature of video RPGs, and Reckoning offers a fresh new answer in that department. There are a couple of other obvious contrasting features, like Reckoning's more vivid, colourful art style, and easy-to-pick up, faster-paced gameplay in general.

"Both games are way too big and and have way too much to do, and they both seduce you into playing for hours and hours and hours."

Based on what I saw in the game's demo this afternoon, I'm willing to agree that it's got a big storyline that feels like something straight out of one of Salvatore's books; the art style is also impressive (even though it's more than a little reminiscent of World of Warcraft). That said, I'm not sure I agree with the claim that it's got the best combat ever to appear in fantasy videogames, based solely on the the fact that I kept getting stuck on objects when I tried to roll away from enemy combatants.

You can download the game's demo for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Source: Gamefront via Eurogamer

Its combat certainly wasn't awful, but I didn't play around with it enough to judge much. Best seems really dubious, but better than Skyrim? Probably.

Played the demo. It was alright. It was annoying that you can't dodge until the attack animation is done. And by done I mean sword swing and back to neutral position. I hoped fluid would imply my character did what it was supposed to do.

The best part of the demo was magic, it was very powerful. This game promises that a pure mage can be a viable character and hopefully comparably powerful at high levels. I'm looking at you Skyrim, exploiting stunlocks being necessary while straight combat can oneshot guys, not cool.

I enjoyed the trailer. Maybe those problems described will be fixed by release date. Not that I intend to buy it.

I should download the demo.

bombadilillo:
Played the demo. It was alright. It was annoying that you can't dodge until the attack animation is done. And by done I mean sword swing and back to neutral position. I hoped fluid would imply my character did what it was supposed to do.

The best part of the demo was magic, it was very powerful. This game promises that a pure mage can be a viable character and hopefully comparably powerful at high levels. I'm looking at you Skyrim, exploiting stunlocks being necessary while straight combat can oneshot guys, not cool.

Oh god, I fucking hated that about the combat. I expect combat to be responsive, and Reckoning's combat is NOT fluid.

I hope the final game is less buggy than the demo (Tried only 360, so far). Took me three tries to get past the meeting with the fate weaver. The fight directly afterwards froze twice at the same spot two seconds into the fight. People missing their heads (Hugues most notably), voice-overs not playing, and only seeing the last line of text, and more. I do hope the retail version is much better, as the demo was ripped from the game by a third party, or so I'm led to believe.

looks decent enough but it definitely is behind a long list of games i am already going to get and games i still need to finish

Zer_:

bombadilillo:

Oh god, I fucking hated that about the combat. I expect combat to be responsive, and Reckoning's combat is NOT fluid.

It's supposed to be a 4-5 month old demo so hopefully in finished product they fix it, Im sure others mentioned it too them. I love that mages arent just glass cannons. Mage armor actually gives good amounts if def, and they.have valuble weapons made for their class. Chakrums are all kinda sexy. And rouge/mage hybrid build with its own traits is sex.

I'm sure no one will take this comment of his too seriously...

Combat really better than skyrim? Well that's not too hard, once they say better than say "Demon Souls" then we'll start talking.

If it is anything like The Witcher 2 with a better targeting system, then I'll be interested.

Also, was that Claudia Black narrating the trailer? It's like Morrigan saw where Dragon Age was heading and jumped ship.

Better than Skyrim? I could see that. I mean, Skyrim's combat wasn't all that great (at least not as a battlemage). It was solid, but I wasn't playing it for the epic crazy uber-fun action sequences. I'll play a game like Killing Floor for that.

So if this game works out, sure, I'd love it! I doubt it will really work out, but I'd like to see it happen.

Oh fuck off Mr Marketing Man.

I've played the demo. The combat was alright at best. Basically a better-than-average button masher with unresponsive controls and occasional camera shenanigans.

Better combat than Skyrim?

Yeah, tough feat.

I mean, I get that he wants to compare to the big boy on the block, but advertising better combat than Skyrim is almost self defeating. Your combat is better than bad... so... it can still be bad.

Games like the Witcher, Witcher 2, and Demon's/Dark Souls all have better combat IMO for recent titles. And really, Amalur combat is more like a tweaked version of Fable.

Oh God no.

I digged the art style (reminded me of Torchlight, a little) and the story seemed epic enough, but from the demo, combat seemed...pretty bland. NOT bad, just not amazing. Hell, Mass Effect had better combat. Maybe I just like guns.

interesting....if you can play as a female I may be interested

Combat would have been better if it worked properly, and properly switched you from enemy to enemy ala AC. As it is you literally have to stop and stand still to turn and face that guy about to hit you from behind, by which time you've done that he's already hit you, and that other guy is about to hit you. Pointless lock on system, remove it..

Other than that, I'm sure its been said before, but its not hard to get better combat than Skyrim. TES combat is notoriously crap.
Personally, DA:O tactical combat is more my style, but this is good Action RPG combat, or would be if they fix aforementioned issue.

Vault101:

You can, although it doesn't affect anything beyond appearance.

The game uses the Dragon Age approach to talking where your character silently stands there with all the expressiveness of a fence post while you click your way through the dialogue tree.

Zhukov:

Vault101:

You can, although it doesn't affect anything beyond appearance.

The game uses the Dragon Age approach to talking where your character silently stands there with all the expressiveness of a fence post while you click your way through the dialogue tree.

AWSOME!

I don't know why no one has mentioned this but the combat is broken up (as in destroying flow, pacing and enjoyment) by stupid quick time events! Didn't they get the memo? Nobody likes having to watch for little button symbols while cool stuff may be happening on screen. Other than that it was a tweaked version of Fable. Which is still a good thing. If only I could get over those god-awful QTEs...

Zhukov:
Oh fuck off.

I've played the demo. The combat was alright at best. Basically a better-than-average button masher with unresponsive controls and occasional camera shenanigans.

That is a problem i had the cool combo´s dont unlock till later but!
Boot up the demo again and try a mage good god they are awesome

Nimzabaat:
I don't know why no one has mentioned this but the combat is broken up (as in destroying flow, pacing and enjoyment) by stupid quick time events! Didn't they get the memo? Nobody likes having to watch for little button symbols while cool stuff may be happening on screen. Other than that it was a tweaked version of Fable. Which is still a good thing. If only I could get over those god-awful QTEs...

WHat quick time events the only ones are those you sue in faith mode or executing bosses?
They are not even necescary they just give you an xp boost.

Zer_:

bombadilillo:

I'm with you guys. The combat was NOT FLUID at all. I felt as disappointed as I did the first time I played as Starkiller. It was so disjointed and restrained by the animations. You couldn't do anything till an animation was finished, god forbid you should press a button by accident during an attack animation.

The demo was otherwise good. I liked the world and characters and graphical design of the game. The combat was serviceable, but it's not nearly as amazing as it was made out to be here.

I just played a demo for a single player, hack and slash MMO for some reason...

Better than Skyrim? Am I missing something here? Skyrim had (at beast) mediocre combat. Talk about setting your sights low...

Doesn't take much to have better combat than Skyrim.

I played the demo a few days back (tsk, tsk on making me sign into Origin on PS3 for a damn demo EA - but I digress)...

It was average. Nothing special.

Best combat - puh-leaze. Dark Souls says "hi", then murders KoA.

Jandau:
Better than Skyrim? Am I missing something here? Skyrim had (at beast) mediocre combat. Talk about setting your sights low...

Agreed. Skyrim is fun, but the combat is average at best.

Combat in skyrim wasn't its strong point, if they said that combat was better than say God of War then it would have turned some heads. Whether the combat lives to the hype though remains to be seen.

Better than Skyrim, yeah. It's still behind Demon's/Dark Souls and Valkyrie Profile 2.

not sure where this game came from no where seemingly
...probably cuz I just haven't been paying attention BUT it looks good so far so hope it's good :]

It wasn't bad, controlled like Fable with c-c-c-c-combos. As for the best RPG combat I'm gonna say no, I like the controls in The Witcher 2 and Skyrim (favorites menu for the God damned win)but yes, the controls were tight and responsive, just like Skyrim and The Witcher and the Mass Effect 2.

I love that the game information box says Skyrim :P
I have yet to play the demo, but this is my most anticipated game this year and all this talk is getting me extremely worried. I hope they'll be able to fix it before launch, there's still enough time, butI guess this means I'll hold the pre-order.

I definitely encourage everyone to play the demo, it will unlock stuff in ME3.

Meh. The world is standard fantasy stuff through and through, the story and characters are boring, the art style uninspired, the graphics mediocre at best, many gameplay features (like lock picking and inventory management) badly designed. I do agree that combat is the best part about the game, but even that isn't exactly amazing. As of now I'd rate this game M for Mediocre.

GeorgW:
I love that the game information box says Skyrim :P
I have yet to play the demo, but this is my most anticipated game this year and all this talk is getting me extremely worried. I hope they'll be able to fix it before launch, there's still enough time, butI guess this means I'll hold the pre-order.

I definitely encourage everyone to play the demo, it will unlock stuff in ME3.

What's kind of neat about the demo is that it's an HOUR long, letting you get a full grasp everything from combat, to story, to questing, leveling, customization, and even crafting. I wish more RPG demos were like this.

It doesn't really take much to have better combat than Skyrim. The demo was awesome, I think. The combat flowed smoothly, and was rather responsive, especially for an early build (or unfinished build, as it were). Ever since the demo, I've been trying to tell Skyrim to move the fuck over, but it won't because it is stubborn. Even though everyone I know who has Skyrim has slowly started to stop playing it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here