Skyrim Creation Kit Goes Live, With a Bonus

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Skyrim Creation Kit Goes Live, With a Bonus

The Skyim Creation Kit is finally here, along with a gorgeous new high-resolution texture pack that will make your PC weep.

It's been a long and oft-delayed wait, but the Skyrim Creation Kit is finally out the door. It's free to everyone with the PC version of Skyrim and access to Steam, and will allow players with a creative bent to build new questions, locations and characters, modify the game in just about every way imaginable and then share the fruits of their labors through the Skyrim Workshop on Steam.

To help ease budding world-builders into the job, the first of a ten-part series of Creation Kit tutorial videos has been released and a crash course in how to begin creating and uploading mods is available from level designer Joel Burgess. Burgess also warned that Bethesda isn't interested in having "offensive, copyrighted or trademarked material" on the Skyrim Workshop. "Mods with this kind of content will be banned, so please don't bother uploading them," he said.

Riding in alongside the Creation Kit is the Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack, a free update that adds a whole new level of visual fidelity to the PC version of the game. But with great textures comes the responsibility to have great power, or something like that; however you want to put it, your rig will need to exceed the recommended system specs - that's recommended, kids, not minimum - if you want to have any hope of running this beast. That means Windows Vista or 7, a minimum 4GB RAM and a DirectX 9.0c compatible Nvidia or ATI video card with at least a gig of RAM.

And now, some links. The Skyrim Creation Kit is available on Steam [open your Steam library, select "Tools" from the dropdown menu and look for "Creation Kit"], Joel Burgess' introduction to the Skyrim Workshop can be read on the Bethesda Blog, the first part of the Creation Kit Tutorial Video series is up on the Bethesda Game Studios YouTube Channel [and also above] and last but not least, a handy-dandy wiki is available for your perusal at creationkit.com. Have fun!

Finally!

I wonder see how many modders will migrate form sites like The Skyrim Nexus to the Steamworkshop thing.

Can I use creation kit without having steam installed? I have not been able to find any information if you need steam to use it. Cause was thinking of downloading it on a computer I don't play games on to fool with it. Also I looked under tools and it is not there unless it has some kind of code name.

Hi res texture pack you say? Is it any better than the one already on the nexus?

It's stuff like this that makes me sad I'm no longer part of the PC Master Race.

Well, I'm a part of the PC race, master on the other hand... nope, my computer's bout dead, so I'm just above those console scum ;)

I wished I had Skyrim to be honest XD Though I'm not sure if my computer could play it.

Ed130:
Finally!

I wonder see how many modders will migrate form sites like The Skyrim Nexus to the Steamworkshop thing.

Considering the Nexus is already a well established site, has been around for nearly a decade and the Steam Workshop faces modders with censorship, I'm putting my money on the Nexus.

Nice to hear about the Skyrim high res pack. Is it downloaded automatically with Steam? If so, can't wait to give it a go :)

Ed130:
Finally!

not many, seeing as how they dont want anything offensive or copyright infringementable on their service.

oh, sure, you will see some great questlines, areas, knockoff anime weapons that make no sense whatsoever, but the real question is:

How long will it take for someone to find a way to use the creation kit to make mods and continue to upload them to Nexus?

I suspect a lot of people will use both SW and host sites like the Nexus.

Domehammer:
Can I use creation kit without having steam installed? I have not been able to find any information if you need steam to use it. Cause was thinking of downloading it on a computer I don't play games on to fool with it. Also I looked under tools and it is not there unless it has some kind of code name.

Well, at the very least you need Steam to download and install it. I would imagine you would need Steam to run it too. What happens to the steamapps folder if you uninstall Steam?

Hmm this gives me an idea, Skyrim has lots of combat but what about a dungeon that is more about traps and triggers then combat. Maybe something like zelda.

The workshop isn't going to stop people from putting the titty mods and franchise outfits up on the Nexus. I just hope that this update doesn't kill the other corners of the modding community.

i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now, and i have added a few ones that were quite useful.

still, i'm liking that NMM and the workshop are working together nicely, allows the customer to have full satisfaction.

Well, that one line about "offensive or "copyrighted material" means that I and many others will still be getting 99% of our content from the Skyrim Nexus, since a good chunk of the fun/interesting mods fall squarely into that category.

Also, where does one get this Hi-Res pack?

gmaverick019:
i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now...

Really?
REALLY?

Because I downloaded this thing with notions of adding in a couple of draugr companions. This shit is a mile over my head.

gmaverick019:
i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now, and i have added a few ones that were quite useful.

still, i'm liking that NMM and the workshop are working together nicely, allows the customer to have full satisfaction.

But shouldn't it be easy to learn but hard to master? Sure it's probably easier now, but at least more people can start modding and make quest lines that friends can play.

Korten12:

gmaverick019:

But shouldn't it be easy to learn but hard to master? Sure it's probably easier now, but at least more people can start modding and make quest lines that friends can play.

oh i agree it should! i'm not trying to disown anyone or make any bad intentions with what i said, just saying from what i have dealt with before personally it can be a pain in the ass sometimes, and the way they have it setup, it's so much nicer..and it's really helpful with the video(s) they have for the tutorial(s)

(i know there are tutorials all the time on stuff for games, but sometimes the people giving them either don't quite have that good of video equipment, or expect the person to have a decent log of skills from modding pre hand.)

Loop Stricken:

gmaverick019:
i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now...

Really?
REALLY?

Because I downloaded this thing with notions of adding in a couple of draugr companions. This shit is a mile over my head.

i think i overplayed the intelligence thing, it's more one of those things where you've been making things by hand your whole life, and now here comes along a machine that does it for you with a few knobs and buttons instead of molding it with your barehands. obviously it takes some skill and intelligence, especially if you haven't done it before, but just saying this is leagues ahead of some of the other stuff i have encountered before.

Well, good to know that the update makes my game crash as soon as the thief says "damn you stormcloaks."

It's nice that there's an official high res texture pack, but I've had one for a couple weeks now and frankly it's better.

Ed130:
Finally!

I'll be keeping my focus on the Nexus. At least then I won't have to worry about my Master Sword or Glamdring being yanked from my game because of copywright. I hope the Workshop doesn't interfere with the Nexus Mod Manager.

Azure-Supernova:
It's nice that there's an official high res texture pack, but I've had one for a couple weeks now and frankly it's better.

What's the difference? The official texture pack is over 3 gig in size so I haven't even had a chance to see it in action yet, much less compare it to anything else.

Surprised this didn't make the newspost... Valve made an 'aperture science' modder and implemented the Space core as a steamworks mod for Skyrim. Titled Fall of the Space Core Vol 1.

You heard me.

Still waiting for the "Devil Trigger" "DMC Combat" and "Possession Gem" mods from Oblivion are moved over. Those were freaking sweet.

Kalezian:

Ed130:
Finally!

not many, seeing as how they dont want anything offensive or copyright infringementable on their service.

oh, sure, you will see some great questlines, areas, knockoff anime weapons that make no sense whatsoever, but the real question is:

How long will it take for someone to find a way to use the creation kit to make mods and continue to upload them to Nexus?

Considering Bethesda has said that you'll still be able to upload mods to the Nexus, I'm guessing instantly.

gmaverick019:

Loop Stricken:

gmaverick019:

Really?
REALLY?

i think i overplayed the intelligence thing, it's more one of those things where you've been making things by hand your whole life, and now here comes along a machine that does it for you with a few knobs and buttons instead of molding it with your barehands. obviously it takes some skill and intelligence, especially if you haven't done it before, but just saying this is leagues ahead of some of the other stuff i have encountered before.

That's because back in the day you didn't need to do much to make things on your own. All you needed was the editor and a drive to make something. These days? Well, you need a whole lot more.

This article does a good job in explaining the whole "then vs now" thing. Granted it's about actual game development, but it can be applied to modding.

People aren't making things with their bare hands anymore not because they want to (some still are, actually), but because it's just unfeasible for most people.

Andy Chalk:
"Mods with this kind of content will be banned, so please don't bother uploading them," he said.

Well fuck you too buddy (not you Andy, we love Andy!), looks like Nexusmods and Slof's Hive are all I got left... wait a minute! That is all I ever had (plus a couple others)! YIPPEE!!!

Anyone tested if the High Res pack is better than the Skyrim HD mod on Nexus?

gmaverick019:

Korten12:

gmaverick019:

oh i agree it should! i'm not trying to disown anyone or make any bad intentions with what i said, just saying from what i have dealt with before personally it can be a pain in the ass sometimes, and the way they have it setup, it's so much nicer..and it's really helpful with the video(s) they have for the tutorial(s)

(i know there are tutorials all the time on stuff for games, but sometimes the people giving them either don't quite have that good of video equipment, or expect the person to have a decent log of skills from modding pre hand.)

Oh. XD

Yeah it is a lot better from what I tried in New Vegas. Currently I am trying to make a simple quest, but when I make the dialogue, for some reason when I press okay to go back to the chart with all of the dialogue, Creation Kit crashes. D:

Kalezian:

Forcing mods made through the CK to be published only to Steam has never been the point.

From their blog dated December 2nd:

Bethsoft Sez:

Steam Workshop:

We're excited to share news that we've been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you'll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You'll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.
Prefer to use existing modding sites? Not a problem. You'll still be able to upload/share/access Skyrim mods on fan-created mod sites.

If anything, it'll just further enable the folks at Nexus to access a lot of the files that they were having trouble getting to.

Apart from the easy installation of mods, Steamworks sounds restrictive more than anything. It's like Starcraft 2 all over again.

The high resolution pack can be found as 'DLC' for Skyrim, but don't worry, it's free.

Steam workshop seems like a very good idea, I hate mucking around with my game files (I've had horrible nightmares with modding Fallout 3) so having everything automated is a good idea. I don't really use any of the mods that have copyrighted/adult content anyway.

Ed130:
Finally!

I'd say... 5 seconds? The upload to the Steam Workshop is completely optional.

Umm. 'Beast' hardly describes those system settings, and I'm betting the pack won't be too. I may try it out later, but I have more than enough texture mods to make up for any of its shortcomings. Eh, maybe this will help modders fix all those unfixable errors in the game Bethesda is too busy to fix.

I... can't tell the difference between the normal textures and HD textures. Hmm.
Maybe I should have a look around some areas that used to have crappy textures before...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here